Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins

Ubisoft announces a free weekend is now underway in Far Cry 6, offering the chance to visit Yara without buying the game (or a plane ticket). The free weekend runs through Sunday, and if you buy the game after that, your progress will continue. As further incentive, the first-person shooter sequel is on sale on all platforms. To play the Windows edition, here are the links the announcement neglects to provide to the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games Store. Also, there's a Photo Mode Contest with cool prizes, and free players are eligible. Here's the deal:
Far Cry 6 is hosting a free weekend until August 7, so get your Supremo ready to lead Libertad to victory. Available on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, Stadia, and PC through the Ubisoft Store and Epic Games Store, the free weekend includes access to the full game, including the Danny Trejo, Rambo, and Stranger Things crossover missions. Whether you're fighting with guerillas against Antón Castillo, delivering Danny's dealing death with Danny Trejo, unleashing epic explosions with an action hero-superfan, or saving Chorizo from the Shadow Place, there's a lot for new players to explore.

If you want to keep fighting after the free weekend ends, you can purchase the game and continue playing with all your progression intact. During, and for a short time after the free weekend, you can get discounts on the game, its Season Pass, and the DLCs that let you play as legendary Far Cry villains Vaas, Pagan Min, and Joseph Seed.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins
Aug 8, 2022, 02:57
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 8, 2022, 02:57
Aug 8, 2022, 02:57

heroin wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 16:43:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 16:14:
Though, I think I am completely burned out on the Ubisoft "formula". Origins was my last AC game and I think 6 will be my last Far Cry game. To me, they feel like nothing more than shallow, cookie cutter runthroughs with only minor changes in the set dressing.

Ubi is like the Marvel movie of video games - it's hit or miss. I think Watch Dogs 2 was a pretty good game and then Legion came out and I thought it sucked. I also played all of the new-gen AC games and I thoroughly enjoyed Origins but I sank like 200 hours into Odyssey, I really liked that one. Valhalla just did not click with me. I can still pick up Odyssey and it plays and looks fantastic; I tried playing Origins not too long ago but couldn't get into it again, controls felt a little bleh.

I agree. To me, Origins feels like a prototype of Odyssey. It's simply a worse version. Odyssey is the best AC game by far, imo. I loved Kassandra so much. She's the perfect example of feminism. An absolute badass, strong looking and sounding, but still very feminine too. I never played femshep. I wonder if ppl love her for the same reason. Female Eivor I didn't like at all, because of the voice actress. The toughness in the voice sounded so forced. I enjoyed male Eivor a lot though. Great voice, cool dude.

I'm done with FC. In a state of absolute boredom I could enjoy it, but otherwise there's always some better game to play. The FC maps are empty since FC3. There's no reason to explore. And sure, they have some nice looking caves to find out there, but if all you find is a few useless pesos in a jar in there... I couldn't care less. New Dawn was pretty good because they added RPG elements in there, with loot, weapon upgrades, and proper level gating.
Currently playing: Spider-man, Sea of Thieves, Horizon Zero Dawn

Aug 8, 2022, 02:21
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 8, 2022, 02:21
Aug 8, 2022, 02:21

[...]
Primal is my favorite for everything that it isn't. It's a neolithic era game about survival, migration, and, and the fight for existence. Far Cry 5 is my second favorite because I can absolutely see some christofacist lunatic trying to pull a Joseph Seed minus the atomic bomb. It tickled me to whack religious nutjobs for the liberty of others. I did not, however, like the repeated loss of player agency with the Bliss and mind-control stuff.
[...]

Yeah, exactly that. Like I said, the ending and the loss of player agency sucked. Everything else? Yeah, I can definitely see it happen.

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2022, 09:06:
[...]
FC5 didn't. They felt so hollow. There was nothing really driving them. And it was just generic white people. Generic white religious nut. Generic white hippie. Generic white frat bro. No reason any of them would ever spend time with each other.
[...]
Personally I couldn't stop thinking about David Koresh and the whole Waco disaster the whole time I was playing Far Cry 5. It was really eerie. There I probably a lot that was covered up in that incident but I cannot stop thinking that if someone was was more fanatic and more clever than David Koresh did something like that he could do some real damage.
Now we donce.

Aug 6, 2022, 09:06
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 6, 2022, 09:06
Aug 6, 2022, 09:06

Funny. The villain of FC4 worked for me because he ultimately had some depth.

FC5 didn't. They felt so hollow. There was nothing really driving them. And it was just generic white people. Generic white religious nut. Generic white hippie. Generic white frat bro. No reason any of them would ever spend time with each other.

The real issue the games have had of late, to me, though, is same sameness. I spent, what, 15-20 hours in New Dawn and couldn't tell you a damn thing about the map. There was no reason to leave the roads. No reason to take a boat in the water instead of fly over it. No real exploration rewards. Nothing unique to find. Everything looked the same, felt the same, and leaving the road only took time from you.

Aug 5, 2022, 16:43
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 16:43
Aug 5, 2022, 16:43

Though, I think I am completely burned out on the Ubisoft "formula". Origins was my last AC game and I think 6 will be my last Far Cry game. To me, they feel like nothing more than shallow, cookie cutter runthroughs with only minor changes in the set dressing.

Ubi is like the Marvel movie of video games - it's hit or miss. I think Watch Dogs 2 was a pretty good game and then Legion came out and I thought it sucked. I also played all of the new-gen AC games and I thoroughly enjoyed Origins but I sank like 200 hours into Odyssey, I really liked that one. Valhalla just did not click with me. I can still pick up Odyssey and it plays and looks fantastic; I tried playing Origins not too long ago but couldn't get into it again, controls felt a little bleh.

Aug 5, 2022, 16:14
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 16:14
Aug 5, 2022, 16:14

For me, the two best Far Cry games were Primal and 5. I like 4 the least (because of the cartoonishly "evil" Pagan Min). I only vaguely recall 1 and 2. Three I was completely ambivalent about.

Six, I tried to like but nothing about it registered with me. Everything about it felt off. The guns and gun play felt wrong, the characters were stereotypical and bland, and the entirety of "Viva La Revolucion" was wildly uninspiring. At no point did I ever really feel like a revolutionary or that I was in any danger as an "insurgent".

Primal is my favorite for everything that it isn't. It's a neolithic era game about survival, migration, and, and the fight for existence. Far Cry 5 is my second favorite because I can absolutely see some christofacist lunatic trying to pull a Joseph Seed minus the atomic bomb. It tickled me to whack religious nutjobs for the liberty of others. I did not, however, like the repeated loss of player agency with the Bliss and mind-control stuff.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Aug 5, 2022, 13:56
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 13:56
Aug 5, 2022, 13:56

I played all of them and I was surprised how much I liked Far Cry 6, especially seeing so many people say, "it should never have been made." Lol
I beta tested the multiplayer portion of Far Cry back in the day - which Crytech finally put to good use in Hunt: Showdown many many years later, (my favorite video on why Hunt is so incredible - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olAZyoO6cs) but it's obviously been out of their hands and probably for the better honestly - waiting for Crytech to put anything out versus In & Out burger. That's the thing people either like or hate about Ubi - they are a Subway franchiser, shit goes in and shit comes out - real fast - they aren't Rockstar.
They could be if they wanted to but it's not on their dollar menu.

Didn't like Far Cry 2, 3 was alright, 4 or 5 (HATED 5) but 6, - I thought it was goofy fun and it looked fucking fantastic. I never finished it (got about 35 hours or something)
but I don't beat most games. But, Hunt: Showdown - quickly approaching 2,000 hours (pick up the gun, pick up the gun - BOOM - you saw him - he had a gun.... :P)

Aug 5, 2022, 11:51
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 11:51
Aug 5, 2022, 11:51

Far Cry 1 was awesome when it came out. The draw distance, graphics for its time, it was all mind blowing stuff. It kind of came out of no where also. When everyone was waiting for Doom 3 to drop with it's revolutionary shadows (at that time), Far Cry 1 came out of no where and its graphics already gave Doom 3 which was not out yet a run for its money.

Didn't care much for Far Cry 2. Far Cry 3 was decent but I got bored of it quick. Far Cry 4 was the first game I installed on my PC build at that time and thought it looked awesome graphically but I wasn't feeling the setting overall and gave up quick on that.

Far Cry 5 was weird to me. I picked it up and thought it looked good but found the setting also very boring. I didn't get far at all and just gave up quick. I did pick up Far Cry New Dawn on a sale and enjoyed it completely. I loved the altered look of everything due to the contamination. It also felt like a more intimate experience since it was probably half the size of Far Cry 5. I ended up beating this and getting all upgrades. Something eventually told me I needed more Far Cry and years later, I fired up Far Cry 5 again and ended up finding better enjoyment out of it and also beating it.

Fast forward now to Far Cry 6. I really want to give it a shot because I think the setting looks awesome but I know it'll make my PC blow some smoke. I'd rather wait until I upgrade than ruin the experience but think I pretty much know what to expect at this point. Ubisoft is great at advertising features but at the end of the day, the game plays basically the same as all the rest with some slight new addition.

Aug 5, 2022, 11:46
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 11:46
Aug 5, 2022, 11:46

I enjoyed the game overall, but it is very long and very samey. If you are a completionist and like to clear the map of activities as you go, you'll hit max level and unlock some of the most powerful weapons around or even before the halfway point of the story... That lack of further progression makes the latter half feel like much more of a slog, to such an extent I ended up shelving it and coming back 6 months later to finish up. I'm waiting on a $10 sale for the season pass.

Aug 5, 2022, 10:52
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 10:52
Aug 5, 2022, 10:52

I thought FC3 was one of the best fps ever made, and FC4 was even better.

But FC5 kind of sucked. The spin off just leaned as hard into its flaws. Not sure I'll get around to FC6.

It really is a bit of a simplification issue. They removed depth and added things that simply didn't matter, like the entire weapon upgrade system.

For me, Blood Dragon was also oversimplified to the point of being more tedious than fun

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2022, 16:43.

Aug 5, 2022, 08:21
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 08:21
Aug 5, 2022, 08:21

Jim wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 23:26:
FC6 I finished to be able to say I finished it. I didn't even bother with the Free Danny Trejo DLC. The core gameplay loop is just a bunch of boring time consuming junk. Its fine as things go, but nothing memorable about it.
I will give you the game got boring real quick, but you need to play the Danny Trejo DLC. It's hilarious (in a good way)!

Aug 5, 2022, 08:10
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 08:10
Aug 5, 2022, 08:10

RogueSix wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 04:25:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 02:03:
Far Cry 5 was the first Far Cry game after the first Far Cry that I really played (I played Far Cry 2 and Far Cry Blood Dragon for an hour or so but didn't like it) and I really enjoyed it.

[...]

The consensus I am getting here is that Far Cry 6 is not a good time. That's a shame. :\

Fuck the consensus Wink .

I'm in a similar boat as you as I only played the original FC back in the day which I thought sucked once the stupid monkies showed up. Then I played a bit of FC2 many years later (with a gfx mod) but got bored quickly of the respawning checkpoints.
So the next FC I played was also FC5 which I enjoyed a lot. That was one of the reasons why I bought FC6 shortly after it was released.

Sue me but I really liked FC6 as well, though it took a couple hours to really get into it. I played a female Rojas because that seemed like a nice change of pace. The Hispanic gangsta/guerrilla setting is mighty cliched so might as well mix it up a little and female Rojas is a pretty cool gal. The story of FC6 starts cliche but it really picks up towards the second half or last third of the game. I had a really good time with it overall. The only thing I sort of missed was Hurk Wink .

I wouldn't be put off so easily by the negative nancies. Yeah, it's the UbiSoft Far Cry formula just like there is a UbiSoft AssCreed formula. A lot of people bitch and moan that it is always the same but they play the games anyway and they obviously at least secretly enjoy them or why else would they play and even finish them? If you generally enjoy Far Cry then you will enjoy Far Cry 6 all the same. It's a decent game.

P.S.: I also played and finished FC3 in the meantime which was pretty cool. Could not really get into Blood Dragon either. The humor was good but the gameplay and style meh. The only FCs I have yet to play now are FC4 and Primal but I will give it some "cooldown" time before getting into one of those later this year probably. We will see... I have a huge backlog and only played FC3 now because of the announcement that FC3 online features and DLC will be shut down September 1st.

Oh yeah, I totally know what you mean. I thought Far Cry was great. The setting, the shooting, the AI. And then the mutants showed up. Oh my god. I almost immediately stopped playing and started messing around with mods and the physics instead (which, for the time, was great). Same thing with Crysis. It was great until the aliens showed up. Then it was just annoying. Just like Far Cry. *sigh*
I'm also with you on Blood Dragon. I liked the humour but somehow the gameplay was just... weird. The shooting felt off. I don't know, I really like shooters and I enjoyed Far Cry 5 and New Dawn a lot but I just couldn't get into Far Cry 2.
I think I also bought Far Cry 3 at some point so I'll probably give that a go, too.

Well, it's good to hear that Far Cry 6 might still be a good game. I'm not going to write it off just yet and see what happens. And yeah, I agree with you about the whole Ubi Soft thing. The games are really samey but at the end of the day it's a shooter and if the shooting feels good and the gameplay is fun then it can still be a good game.
Now we donce.

Aug 5, 2022, 04:25
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 04:25
Aug 5, 2022, 04:25

yuastnav wrote on Aug 5, 2022, 02:03:
Far Cry 5 was the first Far Cry game after the first Far Cry that I really played (I played Far Cry 2 and Far Cry Blood Dragon for an hour or so but didn't like it) and I really enjoyed it.

[...]

The consensus I am getting here is that Far Cry 6 is not a good time. That's a shame. :\

Fuck the consensus Wink .

I'm in a similar boat as you as I only played the original FC back in the day which I thought sucked once the stupid monkies showed up. Then I played a bit of FC2 many years later (with a gfx mod) but got bored quickly of the respawning checkpoints.
So the next FC I played was also FC5 which I enjoyed a lot. That was one of the reasons why I bought FC6 shortly after it was released.

Sue me but I really liked FC6 as well, though it took a couple hours to really get into it. I played a female Rojas because that seemed like a nice change of pace. The Hispanic gangsta/guerrilla setting is mighty cliched so might as well mix it up a little and female Rojas is a pretty cool gal. The story of FC6 starts cliche but it really picks up towards the second half or last third of the game. I had a really good time with it overall. The only thing I sort of missed was Hurk Wink .

I wouldn't be put off so easily by the negative nancies. Yeah, it's the UbiSoft Far Cry formula just like there is a UbiSoft AssCreed formula. A lot of people bitch and moan that it is always the same but they play the games anyway and they obviously at least secretly enjoy them or why else would they play and even finish them? If you generally enjoy Far Cry then you will enjoy Far Cry 6 all the same. It's a decent game.

P.S.: I also played and finished FC3 in the meantime which was pretty cool. Could not really get into Blood Dragon either. The humor was good but the gameplay and style meh. The only FCs I have yet to play now are FC4 and Primal but I will give it some "cooldown" time before getting into one of those later this year probably. We will see... I have a huge backlog and only played FC3 now because of the announcement that FC3 online features and DLC will be shut down September 1st.

Aug 5, 2022, 03:48
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 03:48
Aug 5, 2022, 03:48

I'd not even use Ubisoft and Epic games store if they'd paid me. Thanks but no thanks.

Aug 5, 2022, 02:03
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 5, 2022, 02:03
Aug 5, 2022, 02:03

Far Cry 5 was the first Far Cry game after the first Far Cry that I really played (I played Far Cry 2 and Far Cry Blood Dragon for an hour or so but didn't like it) and I really enjoyed it. I liked the setting, the story (except the ending) and the gameplay (except for the part where you are captured and cannot do anything about it - seriously, that's just dumb, you can take away player agency to advance the story but not every couple of hours).

Now we donce.

Aug 4, 2022, 23:26
Jim
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 4, 2022, 23:26
Aug 4, 2022, 23:26
Jim

FC6 I finished to be able to say I finished it. I didn't even bother with the Free Danny Trejo DLC. The core gameplay loop is just a bunch of boring time consuming junk. Its fine as things go, but nothing memorable about it.

Aug 4, 2022, 23:12
Rilcon

Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 4, 2022, 23:12
Aug 4, 2022, 23:12
 Rilcon

Far Cry is really weird in how each iteration seems to cut out something that was really fun in the previous ones. And it's worse with FC6 because it didn't even add anything new that was fun. Like, the whole base capture stuff I used to enjoy because of all the stealth gameplay, but in FC6 that's been seriously watered down and base capture is just a boring mechanical task to repeat on copy-pasted areas.

It also really doesn't help that there's vegetation everywhere and AI can see right through it and nail you while strafing all over the place, or that the city, the most interesting area, is awfully obnoxious to navigate...

FC series has had a lot of really fun and interesting stuff, but it's gotten to be two steps back for every step forward for a while now =/

Aug 4, 2022, 19:21
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 4, 2022, 19:21
Aug 4, 2022, 19:21

Braden wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 18:48:
Meh, I think I'm done with this franchise - even for free. I've finished four of the five previous games (excluding 2) and I get the general impression that 6 is the same old thing with a new coat of paint.

Agreed, it's just doing the same thing over and over... which is what we have already done in the previous games, over and over.

And the difficulty just keeps getting easier and easier. There's absolutely no challenge, or reason to use stealth. What was the point in swapping damage types when most enemies die in 1-2 shots anyway.. and the bosses weren't much better. Honestly, setting off all the alarms was the only way i could keep myself awake. How hard is it to add a difficulty slider?!!

It's a shame, because the engine and game world are brilliant but the whole experience was just MEH.

Oh, but it's a free weekend! Definitely worth a shot for free, and a weekend is likely all you will need with this one.

Ps if you guys like challenging darksoul type games with proper co-op, check out Nioh 2! Just came across this one last month and i'm hooked.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2022, 19:19.

Aug 4, 2022, 18:48
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 4, 2022, 18:48
Aug 4, 2022, 18:48

Meh, I think I'm done with this franchise - even for free. I've finished four of the five previous games (excluding 2) and I get the general impression that 6 is the same old thing with a new coat of paint.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Walk on the cuban side
Aug 4, 2022, 18:38
Walk on the cuban side Aug 4, 2022, 18:38
Aug 4, 2022, 18:38

I finished the stranger things dlc and got kind of bored after that. Only 1 day left and haven't finished the game. I will take that time to do that. If I haven't deleted the save game folder.

Aug 4, 2022, 17:49
Re: Far Cry 6 Free Weekend Begins Aug 4, 2022, 17:49
Aug 4, 2022, 17:49

lol. This game has had so many free weekends that I long ago finished the campaign and am now working through the collectables.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older