Out of the Blue

I have news to share about the proud sovereign nation of Manstovia, and it's not good. A letter from our homeowners association explains that as of a couple of weeks from now, residents will no longer be permitted to keep grills on our decks. There is a regulation in New York State that disallows using grills within 10 feet of flammable structures, like decks. Apparently this has been the law for townhouses like ours for a long time, but it only recently came to light. So now grills must be stored on the patio under the deck, and rolled out to a safe distance when in use. In creating a new rule to cover this requirement, the board will now permit the use of charcoal grills. These were previously disallowed, but now can be operated if they are at least 25 feet from the deck. So why isn't this good news you might ask? Well, as I've mentioned before, we are lucky enough to enjoy a fantastic view of a pond. The bad news is that while there is enough room between the patio and the pond for a propane grill, the pond is close enough that a charcoal grill would have to be in the water to comply. And then there's the convenience factor. Our current setup has a beautiful path from the kitchen out to the deck. But going downstairs through the patio is at the opposite end of the convenience spectrum. And the shore of the pond is not really an even surface to park a grill on either. So there are several reasons why the new setup will be a huge downgrade, which is disappointing. I thought having to switch from charcoal to propane when we moved was the ultimate indignity. Now we are actually discussing the pros and cons of just getting an electric grill, since these can be operated on the deck. We've scaled back on the amount of meat we consume, so at this point I'm just going to work on MrsBlue to get her past her aversion to me potentially setting off smoke alarms by actually making the occasional steak or burgers in the actual kitchen. As you can imagine, the flags in Manstovia are currently flying at half-mast.

Smoldering Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Burned!
Aug 5, 2022, 17:05
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 5, 2022, 17:05
Aug 5, 2022, 17:05

Oh yeah, I'd get an auto sprinkler, not tell them, then just start doing whatever I want to troll them.

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 22:06:
WaltSee wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 15:30:
It's worth asking for the chapter and verse of the NY State law the HOA has only now just discovered. Because if it doesn't exist, I think you might have great argument for ignoring it.

New York State Fire Code section 308.7 specifically states:”Charcoal
burners and other open flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of
combustible construction. Exceptions include one and two family dwellings and balconies or decks that are
protected by an automatic sprinkler system.”

Get you an automatic sprinkler system and you are GTG, Blue!

Aug 5, 2022, 09:29
Nucas

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 5, 2022, 09:29
Aug 5, 2022, 09:29
 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 16:34:
meezookeewee wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 16:18:
Honestly, I expect this situation with Ms. Griner to solved sooner rather than later via prisoner swaps. It will happen. But what Russia did to Griner is not out of character for their government. They're basically holding foreign nationals as hostages to get concessions from other countries.
Yes, trades are in the works.
The arms dealer has already served half of his 30 year sentence.
Plus: He flew well over a thousand missions for the United States into places where they could not be insured.

that's a great read, and surprisingly i kind of find myself agreeing with the judge who sentenced him.

my wife is a russian national and i've told her that, sadly, i'll never be setting foot in russia again. with my luck i'd be the next dumb bastard they arrest on a bullshit charge.

i'm not even really comfortable with her going back on her own, either. she had to fucking register with the government when she became a dual citizen and go on some list.

Aug 5, 2022, 01:30
Wolfen

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 5, 2022, 01:30
Aug 5, 2022, 01:30
 Wolfen

blinddog wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 20:17:
Have the same weird problem with drying on balcony at my apartment block in Iceland.
House rules states no drying laundry there (or no clothing lines at least I believe), and no dusting things during daytime? Weird that it seems I can dust things between 8 pm & 7 am..
Part of the excuse seems to be that stuff on the balconies can not be a "blemish" for the looks of the block.

People don't seem to take it too seriously though, I've seen a few with low hanging lines basically out of sight, and a few (me included) just have a portable hanger that we can move in & out as needed (also kinda hidden out of sight).

Yeah, same. When I rented the place it had those portable hanger rack things right there on the balcony haha. Not sure how I was supposed to know from that, that I wasn't allowed to dry clothes out there.

Aug 5, 2022, 00:16
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 5, 2022, 00:16
Aug 5, 2022, 00:16

I'd just stealth habachi it, damn the man.

Aug 4, 2022, 22:58
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 22:58
Aug 4, 2022, 22:58

Proud sovereign nation of Manstovia laid low by a petty HOA. Truly dark days
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Aug 4, 2022, 22:47
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 22:47
Aug 4, 2022, 22:47

Sad news indeed Blue. I don't know how I could get through the summer without mine. My heart sobs for you

Aug 4, 2022, 22:06
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 22:06
Aug 4, 2022, 22:06

It's worth asking for the chapter and verse of the NY State law the HOA has only now just discovered. Because if it doesn't exist, I think you might have great argument for ignoring it.

New York State Fire Code section 308.7 specifically states:”Charcoal
burners and other open flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of
combustible construction. Exceptions include one and two family dwellings and balconies or decks that are
protected by an automatic sprinkler system.”

Get you an automatic sprinkler system and you are GTG, Blue!
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Aug 4, 2022, 20:44
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 20:44
Aug 4, 2022, 20:44

i cook steaks and burgers indoors all the time and i never set off the fire alarms. just keep your kitchen well ventilated. maybe consider baking/broiling part of the cooking process to reduce stove time.

Aug 4, 2022, 20:17
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 20:17
Aug 4, 2022, 20:17

Have the same weird problem with drying on balcony at my apartment block in Iceland.
House rules states no drying laundry there (or no clothing lines at least I believe), and no dusting things during daytime? Weird that it seems I can dust things between 8 pm & 7 am..
Part of the excuse seems to be that stuff on the balconies can not be a "blemish" for the looks of the block.

People don't seem to take it too seriously though, I've seen a few with low hanging lines basically out of sight, and a few (me included) just have a portable hanger that we can move in & out as needed (also kinda hidden out of sight).

Aug 4, 2022, 20:14
WarPig

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 20:14
Aug 4, 2022, 20:14
 WarPig

Blue, that's terrible. Probably wouldn't be worth it, but this is borderline "time to move" territory. But, when you look at what jdreyer posted, it looks like a charcoal grill can be used 10ft. from a building... so, does that change things at all? Probably not, as you would think they would have gotten that right in the letter you received.

Aug 4, 2022, 17:54
Wolfen

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 17:54
Aug 4, 2022, 17:54
 Wolfen

That's pretty messed up. It seems like from other comments, though, there may still be some light at the end of your deck. At least the rule makes some sense. I don't know if it's a law or a regulation in my apartments in Kuala Lumpur, but we are not allowed to hang our clothes to dry outside on the balconies. We don't have dryers here. It's not a very common thing to own. So...we are supposed just to leave it indoors to dry. This will double the time it takes to dry the clothes (a day and a half or so) rather than half a day.

Aug 4, 2022, 17:15
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 17:15
Aug 4, 2022, 17:15

It's a great point Walt:

Propane Gas Barbecues
For apartment buildings or other residential buildings
(called “multiple dwellings” in the Multiple Dwelling
Law), it’s illegal to store a standard backyard propane
barbecue on a balcony, roof deck, roof, rear yard or
courtyard. Standard propane barbecues use 20-pound
liquefied petroleum gas — or LPG — containers. While
propane tanks cannot be stored on roofs, you may use
a propane tank that’s smaller than 16.4 ounces for a
short period of time on a roof.
For a one- or two-family home, a propane barbecue
grill is permitted — with no more than two 20-pound
LPG tanks. See NYC Fire Code §307.5.3.

Charcoal Barbecues
Cooking with a charcoal barbecue is legal on a terrace
or in a backyard — but not on a balcony or roof. There
must be a 10-foot clearance between the grill and the
building. You must also have immediate access to a
fire extinguisher or a water supply, such as a garden
hose. See the NYC Fire Code §307.5.1.

Electric Barbecues
Electric barbecue grills are legal to install, use and
maintain at residential properties. This includes balconies, terraces, roofs or yards.
Barbecue-sized electric grills use a substantial amount
of electricity. An electrician licensed by the Department of Buildings can determine if your outlet has an
electric current sufficient to safely operate the grill.
Also, if you use an extension cord, be sure it’s safe to
use with the current required to run the grill, or it can
start a fire. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on
how to use the grill properly, and be sure to keep the
grill at least 10 feet from anything that could catch fire.
See Article 422 of the NYC Electrical Code for general
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Aug 4, 2022, 16:34
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 16:34
Aug 4, 2022, 16:34

meezookeewee wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 16:18:
Honestly, I expect this situation with Ms. Griner to solved sooner rather than later via prisoner swaps. It will happen. But what Russia did to Griner is not out of character for their government. They're basically holding foreign nationals as hostages to get concessions from other countries.
Yes, trades are in the works.
The arms dealer has already served half of his 30 year sentence.
Plus: He flew well over a thousand missions for the United States into places where they could not be insured.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 4, 2022, 16:18
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 16:18
Aug 4, 2022, 16:18

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2022, 16:05:
Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 Years in a Russian Penal Colony
For 2 cannabis oil vape cartridges.

Makes the Midnight Express 4 pounds of hashish original sentence of four years and two months in a Turkish prison pale in comparison. Until the Turkish authorities penalized him with a life sentence for smuggling, instead of possession. There had to have been some pretty impressive payoffs to get it down to possession for 4 pounds. Wink

That hash/cannabis stuff must be worse than nicotine, heroin or alcohol. wink³

Aug 4, 2022, 16:07
Shock

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 16:07
Aug 4, 2022, 16:07
 Shock

I stand with Manstovia and cannot support this infringement on its sovereign rights.

Aug 4, 2022, 16:05
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 16:05
Aug 4, 2022, 16:05

Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 Years in a Russian Penal Colony
For 2 cannabis oil vape cartridges.

Makes the Midnight Express 4 pounds of hashish original sentence of four years and two months in a Turkish prison pale in comparison. Until the Turkish authorities penalized him with a life sentence for smuggling, instead of possession. There had to have been some pretty impressive payoffs to get it down to possession for 4 pounds. Wink

That hash/cannabis stuff must be worse than nicotine, heroin or alcohol. wink³
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 4, 2022, 15:39
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 15:39
Aug 4, 2022, 15:39
 Kxmode

Stupidity never seems to go out of fashion. 🤦‍♂️
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

Aug 4, 2022, 15:30
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 15:30
Aug 4, 2022, 15:30

It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Aug 4, 2022, 15:05
Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 15:05
Aug 4, 2022, 15:05

oh no

F's in the chat, boys

Aug 4, 2022, 14:48
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Burned! Aug 4, 2022, 14:48
Aug 4, 2022, 14:48
 Kxmode

I wouldn't wish an HOA on anyone. We built websites for several HOAs at my previous job. In nearly all cases, the president or someone on the board was the primary contact for the website project, and virtually all of them had an aura of superiority and ego (definitely an unnatural level of pride). Surprisingly, the women more than the men.

My condolences, Blue.
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older