Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux]

This story didn't post properly last night. This was fixed in the wee hours. So here's a repeat to ensure it's not overlooked:

An update from Valve announces Steam Deck production has been exceeding expectations, and more units are shipping than previously planned. The good news for anyone languishing on the waiting list is you should get your machine this year:
Hello! We're excited to announce that we're going to be able to fulfill demand sooner than we had estimated for everyone in the reservation queue. Many of the supply chain shortfalls that affect Steam Deck are gradually clearing up, and we're continuing to ramp production, so we're able to produce more Decks faster than ever before.

As of today we've updated the reservation windows, and everyone who's currently in the reservation queue will get their Steam Deck email this year. Many customers who were in the "Q4 or later" window have been bumped up to "Q3 (July-September)" window. And everyone else is now solidly in the "Q4 (October-December)" window.

As of this moment, new reservations will be in the Q4 bucket, but if these queues fill up it will flip over into the following quarter. To see your reservation window, visit this site while logged in.

We're happy we'll be able to get Steam Decks into your hands faster than we had estimated. It has been great to see all the positive feedback, impressions, and amazing things you all have already been doing with your Steam Decks. We can't wait to see even more in the coming months.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux]
Aug 1, 2022, 12:06
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Aug 1, 2022, 12:06
Aug 1, 2022, 12:06

RogueSix wrote on Jul 30, 2022, 21:18:
I'm calling bullshit on this one. It's probably more like a bazillion (pre)orders have been cancelled because of inflation and the potentially impending recession. Those cancellations have surely freed up lots of allocated supply so that MOAR DOXX can be delivered to customers sooner.
Sorry, not buying the production is up drivel. The Valve marketing bullshit artists just had to find a way to put a positive spin on why there is much more supply all of a sudden.

Maybe, maybe not, my deck arrived on Friday. It's pretty sweet.

Also Inflation isn't shit if you just stop being all poor, like how hard is that to do?

Jul 31, 2022, 20:35
Jivaro

Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 20:35
Jul 31, 2022, 20:35
 Jivaro

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 31, 2022, 01:01:

QDeck !

That nickname could have some staying power....

Jul 31, 2022, 16:30
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 16:30
Jul 31, 2022, 16:30

Presumably they have stocks in a warehouse somewhere in Europe (Netherlands seems popular), so there shouldn't be a big problem for them to ship from there. But.. well.
Year 2022 and we have weird shipping/selling issues like these still :/

Jul 31, 2022, 14:49
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 14:49
Jul 31, 2022, 14:49

Dev wrote on Jul 31, 2022, 12:32:
blinddog wrote on Jul 31, 2022, 09:18:
blahblahblah whatever Valve. They still don't ship any hardware over to Iceland, so as far as I'm concerned, they are just full of shit as usual. I don't get what the problem is, they have no issues shipping all over Europe.
With 360k population, it's probably not considered monetarily worth it for the units they'd sell there. That would be my guess. That sucks though.
For whatever reason, Valve sells hardware to the EU countries and the UK, and not to the EEA countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechenstein, Switzerland). From a regulatory point of view, normally the CE Mark for the EU would be sufficient to allow sale in these countries, and your EU authorized representative would be recognized, but there may be customs charges like VAT for goods moving from the EU, I don't know.

According to Valve's page, Valve only exports the Deck to the EU and UK. The same for the Index, plus it works with partners to sell the Index in Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

Jul 31, 2022, 12:32
Dev
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 12:32
Jul 31, 2022, 12:32
Dev

blinddog wrote on Jul 31, 2022, 09:18:
blahblahblah whatever Valve. They still don't ship any hardware over to Iceland, so as far as I'm concerned, they are just full of shit as usual. I don't get what the problem is, they have no issues shipping all over Europe.
With 360k population, it's probably not considered monetarily worth it for the units they'd sell there. That would be my guess. That sucks though.

Jul 31, 2022, 09:18
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 09:18
Jul 31, 2022, 09:18

Jul 31, 2022, 04:03
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 04:03
Jul 31, 2022, 04:03

Dev wrote on Jul 30, 2022, 22:16:
Valve doesn't have a big history of trying to lie and deceive like a lot of other companies.
Yup. Valve isnt a publicly traded company, there is no duty to report, there are no investors you have to impress, no need to spin bad news into something positive.

Jul 31, 2022, 01:01
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 01:01
Jul 31, 2022, 01:01

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2022, 00:43:
Traveling again this week, and spent 5 hours on a plane yesterday playing NMS.
Honestly, this thing is the best
Excellent, love reading that !

I'm calling bullshit on this one. It's probably more like a bazillion (pre)orders have been cancelled because of inflation and the potentially impending recession. Those cancellations have surely freed up lots of allocated supply so that MOAR DOXX can be delivered to customers sooner.
Sorry, not buying the production is up drivel. The Valve marketing bullshit artists just had to find a way to put a positive spin on why there is much more supply all of a sudden.
QDeck !

Jul 31, 2022, 00:43
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 31, 2022, 00:43
Jul 31, 2022, 00:43

Traveling again this week, and spent 5 hours on a plane yesterday playing NMS.

Honestly, this thing is the best

Jul 30, 2022, 23:31
Jivaro

Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 30, 2022, 23:31
Jul 30, 2022, 23:31
 Jivaro

Mine was delivered the other day Rogue.....on basically the day they told me when I ordered it. *shrug*

Jul 30, 2022, 22:23
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 30, 2022, 22:23
Jul 30, 2022, 22:23

It's a given that supply chain issues are going to ease. But because it's Valve talking about it there's now a conspiracy. Ucrazy
Because if we say we're selling a lot that means that we'll sell more?
None of that makes any sense.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jul 30, 2022, 22:16
Dev
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 30, 2022, 22:16
Jul 30, 2022, 22:16
Dev

RogueSix wrote on Jul 30, 2022, 22:06:
@Dev Well, it's hard to take those charts serious imo. Anyone who is "buying" a Deck now is simply adding themselves to a queue. A long one. Q3/Q4 of this year. Days, weeks, months go by and people might change their mind because of the economic situation. We might even have people contributing to the charts who have "bought" (got in queue) for a Deck many times over because they keep flip-flopping about their purchasing decisions. When a product is that far out, I can definitely see a lot of people reconsidering, especially under the current circumstances.

Also, the Steam charts are by revenue so a high chart position does not mean much. We've had a long slump in terms of new noteworthy releases this year. It should have been quite easy for the Deck to hit the charts most weeks this year. CoVid related game sales are way down because people spend more money on traveling and other leisure activities again. There has barely been any noteworthy releases since February (Elden Ring, Dying Light 2 etc.). The Deck has probably hit the charts with just a few dozens of units "sold" (preordered) this year.
It would be interesting to get actual order and cancellation numbers regarding the Deck but I'm not buying the production story - yet.

I'm sure that production will be up later this year because a lot of hardware manufacturers are dialing down their production volumes in anticipation of a global recession so naturally resources and capacities increase for everyone but I feel it is disingenuous to claim that the clearing of supply chain issues is the sole reason for ramping production. There is more to it, namely order cancellations and an industry-wide downscaling of production plans. The current crisis naturally helps everyone who was backlogged before.
I mean one can ignore the charts and just go by the numbers calculated in the steam hardware survey instead. Which are steam decks in hand.
Valve doesn't have a big history of trying to lie and deceive like a lot of other companies. They do missteps and stupid things for sure. So if valve tells something I am usually not as critical of it as I am from someone like EA or actiblizz trying to give me shit and call it chocolate cake. But even being critical of this news, and digging for the evidence, it holds together.

But everyone is free to believe what they wish.

Jul 30, 2022, 22:06
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 30, 2022, 22:06
Jul 30, 2022, 22:06

@Dev Well, it's hard to take those charts serious imo. Anyone who is "buying" a Deck now is simply adding themselves to a queue. A long one. Q3/Q4 of this year. Days, weeks, months go by and people might change their mind because of the economic situation. We might even have people contributing to the charts who have "bought" (got in queue) for a Deck many times over because they keep flip-flopping about their purchasing decisions. When a product is that far out, I can definitely see a lot of people reconsidering, especially under the current circumstances.

Also, the Steam charts are by revenue so a high chart position does not mean much. We've had a long slump in terms of new noteworthy releases this year. It should have been quite easy for the Deck to hit the charts most weeks this year. CoVid related game sales are way down because people spend more money on traveling and other leisure activities again. There has barely been any noteworthy releases since February (Elden Ring, Dying Light 2 etc.). The Deck has probably hit the charts with just a few dozens of units "sold" (preordered) this year.
It would be interesting to get actual order and cancellation numbers regarding the Deck but I'm not buying the production story - yet.

I'm sure that production will be up later this year because a lot of hardware manufacturers are dialing down their production volumes in anticipation of a global recession so naturally resources and capacities increase for everyone but I feel it is disingenuous to claim that the clearing of supply chain issues is the sole reason for ramping production. There is more to it, namely order cancellations and an industry-wide downscaling of production plans. The current crisis naturally helps everyone who was backlogged before.

Jul 30, 2022, 21:27
Dev
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 30, 2022, 21:27
Jul 30, 2022, 21:27
Dev

I mean that's possible... but the evidence points to it continuing to sell like hot cakes. The weekly steam top items list
Valve index too, it hits the top list on a regular basis

Edit: Here's some numbers
Go to the linux only specs of the latest June valve survey
Text for your Link
That shows that AMD custom CPU 0405 (what's in the steam deck) is 7.57% of all linux users now, up 2.37% from previous month.

If you go to the combined stats:
Text for your Link
You can see that windows is 96.37% and linux is 1.18% of total users.
The steam hardware survey results are big enough sample that one can generalize to steams users base. There were 132 million active steam members at the beginning of this year. So 132,000,000 * 0.0757 * 0.0118 = about 118k steam decks owned by end of June.

Interestingly Ars previously ran the same estimates and came up with 77,000 steam decks at end of May.
So yeah, they are increasing shipping pretty quickly.
Text for your Link

And devs are right to target this segment. If they can get it to run on steam deck, they can bring in people who have shown they will spend a chunk on a handheld device and will highly likely buy games that are deck verified to play on such a thing. And they get to have the rest of the linux gaming community at the same time. Is it a ton? No, but I bet that whenever a dev gets a game deck verified, they get a noticeable bump in sales. Plus making it deck compatible makes it easier for people with controllers in any platform including windows to use the game, probably makes it easier to do accessibility options, etc.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2022, 21:52.

Jul 30, 2022, 21:18
Re: Steam Decks Storm Docks [Redux] Jul 30, 2022, 21:18
Jul 30, 2022, 21:18

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older