Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes

Also on Bloomberg (may require registration or subscription) is a profile of Rockstar Games, discussing the studio's progress at cleaning up its "frat boy" culture. These internal changes are also impacting both the future and the past of the Grand Theft Auto series. Word is: "Between the company’s new mandate and the 2019 departure of Dan Houser, who led creative direction on many previous Rockstar games, all signs suggest Grand Theft Auto VI will feel very different than its predecessor." The article quotes anonymous past and present employees saying the culture shift is real, but also discussing how the team is still working out how to operate under the new system. Here's more:
In the summer of 2020, after a police officer killed George Floyd, Rockstar Games quietly shelved a mode of play it had planned to release for its Grand Theft Auto Online game.

Called Cops ‘n’ Crooks, the mode was a twist on the children’s game where players organize into teams of good guys and bad guys, but seemed especially tone-deaf during the global reckoning over police violence. Senior executives at the company, concerned about how the narrative might be interpreted during a time of heightened skepticism and mistrust of American police, put it aside. They still haven’t made plans to bring it back, according to people familiar with development.

This was one of several politically sensitive actions Rockstar, a division of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., has taken in recent years. The company removed transphobic jokes from the most recent console release of Grand Theft Auto V and significantly narrowed its gender pay gap. Rockstar’s next game, Grand Theft Auto VI, will include a playable female protagonist for the first time, according to people familiar with the game. The woman, who is Latina, will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde, the people said. Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast to previous games.

Moves like these once seemed unthinkable for a company whose best-selling franchise is a satirical depiction of America that involves playing gangsters who kill civilians and where women are mostly depicted as sex objects. Grand Theft Auto V was a nihilistic parody that threw insults at everything, from right-wing radio hosts to liberal politicians. Inside the company, the tone wasn’t much different. Rockstar employees described a workplace culture full of drinking, brawling and excursions to strip clubs. The company was an early symbol of an industry-wide problem of long hours at the office, known as crunch, in which staff were expected to be at their desks many nights and weekends in order to keep a game on schedule.
View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: GTA Culture Changes
Jul 31, 2022, 03:57
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 31, 2022, 03:57
Jul 31, 2022, 03:57

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2022, 19:44:
"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book posting; I'll waste no time reading it.” - Moses Hadas

I understand, Redeye. Instead of understanding what we mean by "woke", just continue calling us all sorts of insults. The world is easier to understand for you this way. The more binary, the better, aye feller? Nuance is a bitch.

Jul 30, 2022, 19:44
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 30, 2022, 19:44
Jul 30, 2022, 19:44

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book posting; I'll waste no time reading it.” - Moses Hadas
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Re: Lame.
Jul 30, 2022, 19:33
Re: Lame. Jul 30, 2022, 19:33
Jul 30, 2022, 19:33

Renegades Hang wrote on Jul 30, 2022, 13:01:
BigVlad wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 02:26:
As an example of how poisoned and stupid this word is, just look at the discourse on the new Thor movie, even before its release. I watch a lot of movies so I come across this stuff on YouTube. Why do they call it "woke"? Because a woman plays a prominent role. That's it. Do you really think that Terminator 1/2, Alien, and Aliens would not be called "woke" by the right if released today? If you're definition of "woke" is not "minority and/or women bad" then you probably should not be using that word, since that's overwhelmingly how it is being used nowadays.

Those movies sold very well and have always been very popular among men of every political stripe. Men today don't hate those movies for having a woman in the lead role. Show me one of these youtubes that says that a movie is woke solely because a woman is in the lead role. And let's see how many views it has.

As this video by a woman with 4.4 million views states:

"Turns out 50% of the population is female, and you know what? They're not going to see these movies or support these TV shows either [shows the Rotten Tomatoes audience scores for woke movies]. Is it because women hate women? No..."

EVERYTHING WRONG WITH WOKE CULTURE | and the impact on feminism (2021)
https://youtu.be/Nqmd4iU8J3k

In this video that has 2.6 million views, the Critical Drinker gives examples of female wokism in movies and how it actually is a disservice to women.

What Happened To Our Villains? | Critical Drinker
https://youtu.be/vnRP7SKzOgk

Critical Drinker: "The problem is that good villains seem to be a dying breed these days. The awesome antagonists that used to dominate the screen and push our heroes to the very limits of their endurance, are gradually being replaced by weak, flaccid, forgettable imitations, with none of the power an menace of their predecessors. And because they no longer present a challenge, there's no real payoff when they get defeated."

[He shows examples of how Kylo Ren is a second-rate Darth Vader in every way imaginable, as well as other villains of today Why? Because in this case when it comes to woke movies] "...one of the golden rules is that women are never allowed to lose to men at anything for any reason. Whether it's a physical fight, a test of skill or intelligence, or even a simple argument, pick basically any scenario where a woman gets pitted against a man, and I can pretty much guarantee you the woman will come out on top.

"...it creates a very obvious problem when your hero happens to be female and your villain male. Traditional storytelling requires the antagonist to start out stronger and more dangerous than the hero, forcing them to grow and improve themselves in some way, before finally prevailing at the end. But naturally, this process requires the man to be dominant in the early stages, and as we've already discussed, that's not allowed to happen anymore, even if it's just a temporary thing.

"....And what's really interesting is that the problem still exists, even if you reverse the roles. Take Thor: Ragnarök for example. The villain in that movie is a woman, which is perfectly fine at the beginning when she gets to kick Thor's ass, but it becomes a real problem near the finale when it's time for him to win. You definitely can't show Thor hammering a woman into the ground, because that brings up all kinds of unpleasant accusations of glorifying violence against women. So instead, the movie takes the best alternative, and has a third-party step in to win the battle for him. Notice how they carefully managed to side-step the uncomfortable issue of Thor defeating her in a fair fight. Just a little something to think about there.

"The point I'm making is that the reason people didn't warm to characters like Rey or Captain Marvel, isn't because of their gender, it's because everything is made so fucking easy for them that it's basically impossible to feel any empathy. It's the same exact problem with Ghostbusters, or Harley Quinn, or Charlie's Angels. If your heroes do nothing but plow their way through a collection of unthreatening, neutered enemies, then you'll never get your audience to care about their struggle, because they don't fucking have one.

"So what is the solution here? Well, ironically enough, the solution is equality. And I mean real equality, not the bullshit Hollywood version that makes one side artificially weaker just to make the other look superficially strong. If you want your female heroes to be respected equally, then you have to put them through equal struggles against worthy enemies. You need to stop nerfing your villains in a vain attempt to avoid offending people on social media."

The usual suspects will think you're a monster; a racist; xenophobe; misogynist... et cetera. The same bunch and maybe a few others will want to latch onto the fact you quote some Youtube dude called "Critical Drinker". They'd want to ignore the actual content of his thoughts, and just stick to the lack of authority. In this way, they'd just stop the potential discussion to be had. After all, it's easier for you to just be some dumb bigot than to have an actual, respectful discussion with you that might just change their mind. Or... they'll just ignore you (which is what they'll probably do).

Anyway, I think the people you're quoting are partially right but maybe also over-analyze. It isn't all that "complicated". I can't stress enough that in today's day and age, "wokeism" isn't bad because it's "aware". It's bad because it's shoved into shit without making the product better for it. I haven't seen the term used in any other context, and to those who say they have: stop watching your extreme right-wing Youtube videos and reading your extreme right-wing articles. And most of all: stop expecting that others watch your extreme right-wing Youtube videos and reading your extreme right-wing articles.

Jul 30, 2022, 13:01
Re: Lame. Jul 30, 2022, 13:01
Jul 30, 2022, 13:01

As an example of how poisoned and stupid this word is, just look at the discourse on the new Thor movie, even before its release. I watch a lot of movies so I come across this stuff on YouTube. Why do they call it "woke"? Because a woman plays a prominent role. That's it. Do you really think that Terminator 1/2, Alien, and Aliens would not be called "woke" by the right if released today? If you're definition of "woke" is not "minority and/or women bad" then you probably should not be using that word, since that's overwhelmingly how it is being used nowadays.

Those movies sold very well and have always been very popular among men of every political stripe. Men today don't hate those movies for having a woman in the lead role. Show me one of these youtubes that says that a movie is woke solely because a woman is in the lead role. And let's see how many views it has.

As this video by a woman with 4.4 million views states:

"Turns out 50% of the population is female, and you know what? They're not going to see these movies or support these TV shows either [shows the Rotten Tomatoes audience scores for woke movies]. Is it because women hate women? No..."

EVERYTHING WRONG WITH WOKE CULTURE | and the impact on feminism (2021)
https://youtu.be/Nqmd4iU8J3k

In this video that has 2.6 million views, the Critical Drinker gives examples of female wokism in movies and how it actually is a disservice to women.

What Happened To Our Villains? | Critical Drinker
https://youtu.be/vnRP7SKzOgk

Critical Drinker: "The problem is that good villains seem to be a dying breed these days. The awesome antagonists that used to dominate the screen and push our heroes to the very limits of their endurance, are gradually being replaced by weak, flaccid, forgettable imitations, with none of the power an menace of their predecessors. And because they no longer present a challenge, there's no real payoff when they get defeated."

[He shows examples of how Kylo Ren is a second-rate Darth Vader in every way imaginable, as well as other villains of today Why? Because in this case when it comes to woke movies] "...one of the golden rules is that women are never allowed to lose to men at anything for any reason. Whether it's a physical fight, a test of skill or intelligence, or even a simple argument, pick basically any scenario where a woman gets pitted against a man, and I can pretty much guarantee you the woman will come out on top.

"...it creates a very obvious problem when your hero happens to be female and your villain male. Traditional storytelling requires the antagonist to start out stronger and more dangerous than the hero, forcing them to grow and improve themselves in some way, before finally prevailing at the end. But naturally, this process requires the man to be dominant in the early stages, and as we've already discussed, that's not allowed to happen anymore, even if it's just a temporary thing.

"....And what's really interesting is that the problem still exists, even if you reverse the roles. Take Thor: Ragnarök for example. The villain in that movie is a woman, which is perfectly fine at the beginning when she gets to kick Thor's ass, but it becomes a real problem near the finale when it's time for him to win. You definitely can't show Thor hammering a woman into the ground, because that brings up all kinds of unpleasant accusations of glorifying violence against women. So instead, the movie takes the best alternative, and has a third-party step in to win the battle for him. Notice how they carefully managed to side-step the uncomfortable issue of Thor defeating her in a fair fight. Just a little something to think about there.

"The point I'm making is that the reason people didn't warm to characters like Rey or Captain Marvel, isn't because of their gender, it's because everything is made so fucking easy for them that it's basically impossible to feel any empathy. It's the same exact problem with Ghostbusters, or Harley Quinn, or Charlie's Angels. If your heroes do nothing but plow their way through a collection of unthreatening, neutered enemies, then you'll never get your audience to care about their struggle, because they don't fucking have one.

"So what is the solution here? Well, ironically enough, the solution is equality. And I mean real equality, not the bullshit Hollywood version that makes one side artificially weaker just to make the other look superficially strong. If you want your female heroes to be respected equally, then you have to put them through equal struggles against worthy enemies. You need to stop nerfing your villains in a vain attempt to avoid offending people on social media."

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2022, 13:17.

Jul 29, 2022, 18:26
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 29, 2022, 18:26
Jul 29, 2022, 18:26

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 22:20:
Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 22:07:
GaianElite wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 19:14:
I have a strong feeling that some of you may be on the spectrum.

I don't know, that's an odd thing to say. Maybe it's a cultural barrier? Where are you from?

Assuming others are "on the spectrum" because they think it's weird that you said there should be a disclaimer before any media with a masculine female (like Vazquez, or, incidentally, lots of complaints about Sarah Connor in T2 vs T1 at the time of release), or that swearing, or whatever "vulgar" means, isn't feminine, is kind of strange.
This is where the world comes to be medically diagnosed and told they are making a fucking fool of themselves. sigh
I stand by what Sepharo said a couple weeks ago, as does everyone else.
You're right, I shouldn't play online doctor, but this is an occurrence I'm noticing more and more interacting with people online. Whether it's a forum, a discord, etc., people don't read the full context of messages, and fixate on one thing. So goes the term "on the spectrum", because you have to be somewhat autistic to misinterpret basic statements. Maybe I'm not providing the right cultural context before I speak. And maybe that cultural context doesn't matter to you at all. Geologically speaking, I am from the US.

Again, I apologize ascribing this to you or others, you may not be on said spectrum. I don't know whether this is due to a lack of IRL social activity, but I assure you, this phenomenon is real, and I've seen it.

Personally, I need to stay away from culture topics, apparently the only solution is live and let live. Will try to just stick to hardware discussions.

EDIT: After seeing Alex Jones skipping testimony, I will definitely not be using the term "on the spectrum" anymore. Again, I apologize to anyone I ascribed this to, no more. I hope you didn't conflate me with that monster, not a right winger.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2022, 13:27.

Jul 29, 2022, 18:01
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 29, 2022, 18:01
Jul 29, 2022, 18:01

I apologize for my comments, I wasn't talking for only myself partially, but to relate to those in that headspace who do have a problem with the direction games are going. I need to keep with the stance that these games are made to appeal to all markets, no matter how I may or may not like it, that's just the way the world is turning now. The future is indeed now, and I am an old man.

Jul 29, 2022, 01:06
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 29, 2022, 01:06
Jul 29, 2022, 01:06

If GTA has teath me one thing it's, can't we all just get along?

Jul 28, 2022, 22:20
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 22:20
Jul 28, 2022, 22:20

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 22:07:

I don't know, that's an odd thing to say. Maybe it's a cultural barrier? Where are you from?

Assuming others are "on the spectrum" because they think it's weird that you said there should be a disclaimer before any media with a masculine female (like Vazquez, or, incidentally, lots of complaints about Sarah Connor in T2 vs T1 at the time of release), or that swearing, or whatever "vulgar" means, isn't feminine, is kind of strange.
This is where the world comes to be medically diagnosed and told they are making a fucking fool of themselves. sigh
I stand by what Sepharo said a couple weeks ago, as does everyone else.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Jul 28, 2022, 22:07
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 22:07
Jul 28, 2022, 22:07

Jul 28, 2022, 21:31
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 21:31
Jul 28, 2022, 21:31

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 20:07:
I wonder how many commenters here think the last guy is still president. 😬🙄 America is doomed.
The dude w/out a birth certificate was still calling the shots according to the last guy when he was in office. snicker

Jul 28, 2022, 20:07
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 20:07
Jul 28, 2022, 20:07

I wonder how many commenters here think the last guy is still president. 😬🙄 America is doomed.

Jul 28, 2022, 19:55
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 19:55
Jul 28, 2022, 19:55

So, there can be no nuanced stances on the internet. I have a strong feeling that some of you may be on the spectrum. Maybe if we had this conversation in person, it would be different, or maybe it would just be the same. Will still support the site how I can, great articles. For now, I gotta peace out, later.

You don't consider my last comment nuanced enough? I don't know what to say, man. As for some other fellas here... yeah, they can't read nuance.

Jul 28, 2022, 19:14
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 19:14
Jul 28, 2022, 19:14

So, there can be no nuanced stances on the internet. I have a strong feeling that some of you may be on the spectrum. Maybe if we had this conversation in person, it would be different, or maybe it would just be the same. Will still support the site how I can, great articles. For now, I gotta peace out, later.

EDIT: No problem with what Quinn said. And I never said Ripley wasn't badass, she is. Ok I should replace the word masculine with vulgar. And I should replace men with "majority of men". Again, it's hard to convey what I really mean on this topic through a forum. The rest of you, you know who you are. If you're blocked, I did so to prevent things from going left, may unblock later.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2022, 20:58.

Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes
Jul 28, 2022, 17:36
Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 17:36
Jul 28, 2022, 17:36

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 21:27:
Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 12:11:
"Freckle Bitches" instead of Wendy's

I still call Wendy's Freckle Bitch's.
Has the radio commercials https://saintsrow.fandom.com/wiki/Freckle_Bitch%27s

Jul 28, 2022, 17:22
Re: Lame. Jul 28, 2022, 17:22
Jul 28, 2022, 17:22

GaianElite wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 14:53:
Gotta stop you right there, they would not call it "woke" because Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver were (and still are) considered hot and acted feminine but strong when needed to be. The reason so much media today is called "woke" is because men don't want to watch women act masculine, plain and simple. Does this disregard the population who non-conform to traditional views? Yes. This is how it will always be. You can't force men to like masculine women, at best just have to put a disclaimer that this film/game/product may not be for them.

As a minority, I've seen the "woke" term get so twisted it's lost all meaning. I'm tired of those on the right saying it, but I'm also tired of those on the left thinking I need some white savior to save me from my wants and desires. Most GTA protagonists aren't ethnically white. And technically, the last white protagonist was Trevor Phillips, and he wasn't even straight. Laugh2

I just don't think this is true at all. First, I don't think Sigourney Weaver is at all hot and is instead a perfect example of how a woman can easily be the tough-as-nails protagonist. I can't imagine a man being more bad-ass than Ripley, ffs, so wtf are you talking about?! XD

Second, "woke" or "wokeness" doesn't mean what you think it means, imo. Today, it simply means shoving "being aware of racism/misogyny/homophobia" into all sorts of entertainment where it -- to those against it -- shouldn't be. It's literally that simple. Should "wokeness" be inserted in a talk-show? Sure! Let's talk about it! Let's make people more aware! Should it be inserted in an action movie, where it's really all about explosions, shooting, CGI effects and the exclusion of anything real-life/politics? Well, unless it contextually makes sense and is done right: NO! Should it be inserted in GTA VI in the way that there are no more dark jokes, and/or "marginalized groups" get a pass on anything that could be considered insulting and/or offensive? NO! That is what people are talking about when talking about "woke" or "wokeness" these days. A feminist is by definition "woke", true. That means I'm woke as well. That, however, is not what people are attacking when they say some product is worse because it's "woke". When people use the term "woke", they don't say the term in and of itself is bad. They mean that the insertion of it is unnecessary and lecturing/preaching; out of context; forced; PC for no good reason. That's it.

9/10 people who use the term "woke" to flame at something, are woke themselves I think. At least I am. So some of you make a good point that maybe people like myself should refrain using that term. It is however fucking ridiculous to immediately call people who use the term "woke" the way some of us do, racist/misogynist/homophobe. How about you guys who tend to do that refrain from doing that, and people like me refrain from using the term "woke" or "wokeness" next time around, agreed? It'll take a lot more letters for me to describe what I mean next time, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

Jul 28, 2022, 16:30
Re: Lame. Jul 28, 2022, 16:30
Jul 28, 2022, 16:30

GaianElite wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 14:53:
Gotta stop you right there, they would not call it "woke" because Linda Hamilton and Sigourney Weaver were (and still are) considered hot and acted feminine but strong when needed to be. The reason so much media today is called "woke" is because men don't want to watch women act masculine, plain and simple. Does this disregard the population who non-conform to traditional views? Yes. This is how it will always be. You can't force men to like masculine women, at best just have to put a disclaimer that this film/game/product may not be for them.

I am guessing it has been a very long time since you have since Terminator 2 or Aliens. Their demeanor is very masculine. With the exception of them being mother's.

Also, "because men don't want to watch women act masculine, plain and simple", speak for yourself. I am comfortable enough in my sexuality that that kind of stuff doesn't confuse and anger me.

Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes
Jul 28, 2022, 15:53
Re: Grand Theft Auto Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 15:53
Jul 28, 2022, 15:53

SMITE wrote on Jul 27, 2022, 18:16:
I hope they're really serious about this no-punching-down thing. The game should only make fun of--and you should only be able to injure or kill--hetro-normative cis white men. (Unless they're cops of course). Everyone else should be treated as an unkillable NPC. The game could have a little red warning label that pops up if you put your crosshair over the wrong target: MEMBER OF MARGINALIZED COMMUNITY! and in that instance your weapon will be disabled. Maybe even a little background on how each different group experiences their own specific form of oppression, and how that might or might not be intersectional, etc.

Hahahaha!

Jul 28, 2022, 15:27
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 15:27
Jul 28, 2022, 15:27

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2022, 15:22:
because men don't want to watch women act masculine, plain and simple.
Gotta stop you right there.
I guess you didn't enjoy the Terminator movies with Sigourney Weaver. The women's Olympic soccer team. Women's volleyball. Bodybuilding tournaments. And a myriad other things where women could be considered "acting" masculine.

I'm secure in my sexuality and watching women do things that men do and sometimes do it better doesn't harm me nor cause me to freak the fuck out.
Yo that's crazy, you didn't even read my comment Laugh2 , I highly enjoyed the Terminator movies what are you talking about, and it wasn't Sigourney Weaver in those, it was Linda Hamilton. What I meant was those guys don't mean acting masculine in terms of fitness, they mean in terms of demeanor. There is no nuance with you guys.

Jul 28, 2022, 15:22
Re: GTA Culture Changes Jul 28, 2022, 15:22
Jul 28, 2022, 15:22

because men don't want to watch women act masculine, plain and simple.
Gotta stop you right there.
I guess you didn't enjoy the Terminator movies with Sigourney Weaver. The women's Olympic soccer team. Women's volleyball. Bodybuilding tournaments. And a myriad other things where women could be considered "acting" masculine.
You can't force men to like masculine women
I'm secure in my sexuality and watching women do things that men do and sometimes do it better doesn't harm me nor cause me to freak the fuck out.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2022, 15:32.

Jul 28, 2022, 14:53
Re: Lame. Jul 28, 2022, 14:53
Jul 28, 2022, 14:53

As a minority, I've seen the "woke" term get so twisted it's lost all meaning. I'm tired of those on the right saying it, but I'm also tired of those on the left thinking I need some white savior to save me from my wants and desires. Most GTA protagonists aren't ethnically white. And technically, the last white protagonist was Trevor Phillips, and he wasn't even straight. Laugh2

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2022, 15:19.
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older