4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Games, Movies, and TV
Jul 6, 2022, 13:20
Re: Games, Movies, and TV Jul 6, 2022, 13:20
Jul 6, 2022, 13:20

I agree that the Uncharted movie was ... not very good. I like Tom Holland so his casting wasn't an issue for me, and though I felt he did a decent job, the character itself just didn't feel right, but I blame that on the writing. That said, Mark Wahlburg was absolutely not right for Sully. Unfortunately, he was involved in the production, so we couldn't get rid of him.

Almost every video game film adaptation bombs, and most (all?) of them do not involve the game writers, which seems incredibly short-sighted. I dunno if it's ego, politics, both, or something else from Hollywood, but given Naughty Dog's track record, this could have been a slam dunk.

And on that note, has anyone ever seen the Uncharted short "fan film" (I say that, but it was professionally done) that was release a few years ago with Nathan Fillion and Stephen Lang? If not, I highly suggest watching that, it's absolutely perfect in pretty much every way: casting, dialog, pacing, humor, etc. This is what the movie could have been.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2022, 14:03.
Buy/HODL AMC! (Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor / this is not financial advice)

Jul 5, 2022, 19:28
Re: Games, Movies, and TV Jul 5, 2022, 19:28
Jul 5, 2022, 19:28

I don't think uncharted could have been saved by any thespian.
A great cast can't save a shit movie.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jul 5, 2022, 19:19
Re: Games, Movies, and TV Jul 5, 2022, 19:19
Jul 5, 2022, 19:19

I'm sure Holland was offered a tonne to play the part in Uncharted but he should have set his ego aside and realised he was not right for the part. Bigger actors like Cruise fall into these delusions too "Jack Reacher? Yeah, I can play a 6ft 5in blond guy whose built like a brick shithouse" Freak

Not a Holland fan in general so I admit to a fair amount of bias. Even the last Spiderman just reminded me how much better the previous 2 actors were in the role.

Jul 5, 2022, 13:26
Re: Games, Movies, and TV Jul 5, 2022, 13:26
Jul 5, 2022, 13:26

l really found this movie deeply unsatisfying, which says something, considering I entered with very low expectations.

Spoilers:
First, the "puzzles" seemed simple. They needed two keys for some reason, but best as we could tell, they were identical. This is somewhat proven when they enter the keys into two keyholes without even questioning which goes where. Why need two if they're identical? And how was an entire modern sewer system and bar built around the secrets without ever finding them? What if the Burger King was less interested in preserving history?

Then there was the end. Ok, so each ship was worth $2.5B. Rather than each side just, y'know, go in their opposite directions and pocket that money, they fight to have the combined amount and, predictably, both lose their fortune. Why not just say "well, I'd prefer $5B, but I'm going to take this $2.5B I am guaranteed to have (well, until the government of Thailand stakes its legal claim and ties everything up in courts, likely prevailing) and just be happy with it.

Watched it on a flight, and on another, watched the similar Lost City. Lost City was so much better. Still had some serious tone issues, and some jokes that it should have been above that landed flat (it was needlessly crass, and the crass humor rarely landed), but it knew what kind of movie it was, its actors knew what type of characters they were playing, and it wasn't perfect but was more entertaining.
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older