15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Biz Buzz
Jul 5, 2022, 21:25
Dev
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 5, 2022, 21:25
Jul 5, 2022, 21:25
Dev

Not at all a surprise to me. Blizzard is still a big name, I figured however exploitive their mobile game was, it was going to suck in the money.

A million a day is not at all a bad haul.

Jul 5, 2022, 14:59
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 5, 2022, 14:59
Jul 5, 2022, 14:59

StoNe wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 23:26:
All I can say is that I'm doing my bit...not downloaded it, never will grab it, has zero interest to me.

Sadly this success just drives the change in the gaming industry, more short term pleasure and short term investment. Go hard and go fast out the gate.

This proves to be a winning model for Blizzard. Unless something mind breaking occurs around gambling = gaming micro transactions, it'll never be addressed as something that's addictive and harmful to the individual.
Gaming companies just need to make sure that they pay off the right politicians. Did I say "pay off?" I meant donate to the campaigns of the right politicians.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jul 5, 2022, 14:24
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 5, 2022, 14:24
Jul 5, 2022, 14:24

StoNe wrote on Jul 5, 2022, 04:20:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 5, 2022, 00:24:
And unless you're an authoritarian state you can't just outlaw everything that's bad for individuals and society, especially when actual gambling is right there and states are running their own lotteries.

I was listening today to a Jonathan Haidt and Lex podcast...talked about introducing age restrictions on things like games, Instagram, Facebook.
Aren't Facebook and Instagram already age-restricted?

He was talking from a psych view of how social media damages your mind in which you may not recover from as a prepubescent human. But what is Blizzard doing to advertise their product may be addicting? Why don't Blizzard make better effort with addiction hotlines?

Every Australian gambling bathroom is littered with addiction, depression, underage warnings...I said mind breaking needs to occur...like, government flag it as gambling and addictive, and says no one under the age of 21 can play it. It's a start.
I feel like in the US the sentiment is that warnings are mostly useless. Cigarettes had warnings for a long time, but what pushed smoking out were laws against selling near schools and smoking in all kinds of workplaces, and making it easier to declare smoke-free areas and sue for secondhand smoke damages.

I don't think the addictive nature of games in and of itself is a strong enough argument to have limitations imposed. People lose jobs or fail classes because of MMORPGs (maybe more in the Everquest/WoW days; I haven't heard about it lately, nor about Asians dying in net cafes). Civilization is a famously addictive game, tuned in some of the same ways as predatory F2P games to give players the feeling that there's always something new and exciting just around the corner if you play for just one more turn. A game that doesn't offer any kind of carrot at all is kind of a pointless grind. At some point the lawyers are going to retort that anything remotely fun is going to be addictive for a certain number of people.

The fact that predatory F2P games base their entire financial model on those people, the whales, would probably be the most productive line of attack. But I think the state would have to do some research and show that a lot, or at least some, of these whales aren't rich, and are uncontrollably spending way more than they can afford. Until evidence is shown of ruined lives I think the government is going to be reluctant to compel companies to spend money convincing people to stop playing their games.

Jul 5, 2022, 04:20
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 5, 2022, 04:20
Jul 5, 2022, 04:20

Orogogus wrote on Jul 5, 2022, 00:24:
And unless you're an authoritarian state you can't just outlaw everything that's bad for individuals and society, especially when actual gambling is right there and states are running their own lotteries.

I was listening today to a Jonathan Haidt and Lex podcast...talked about introducing age restrictions on things like games, Instagram, Facebook.

He was talking from a psych view of how social media damages your mind in which you may not recover from as a prepubescent human. But what is Blizzard doing to advertise their product may be addicting? Why don't Blizzard make better effort with addiction hotlines?

Every Australian gambling bathroom is littered with addiction, depression, underage warnings...I said mind breaking needs to occur...like, government flag it as gambling and addictive, and says no one under the age of 21 can play it. It's a start.

Jul 5, 2022, 04:13
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 5, 2022, 04:13
Jul 5, 2022, 04:13

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 20:53:
Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 20:28:
It's weird to see the difference in how people who are addicted to a drug and people who are addicted to gambling or spending unhealthy amounts of money in a game are treated. It feels like the blame gets placed very differently in each scenario.
They have every addicts anonymous under the Sun except for gaming. Expect it to be added next quarter.
https://www.aspenridgefortcollins.com/recovery-blog/na-vs-aa-vs-pa-anonymous-groups-explained/

Gambling addiction is listed - Diablo Immoral is a gateway to that, it's not a game. It's a vehicle you get in, and if you aren't extremely hardened as a person you will get out of it as an addict. And it's those people who are the whales. The 0.5% of the playerbase that makes half of all the money for Activison.

Jul 5, 2022, 00:24
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 5, 2022, 00:24
Jul 5, 2022, 00:24

StoNe wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 23:26:
All I can say is that I'm doing my bit...not downloaded it, never will grab it, has zero interest to me.

Sadly this success just drives the change in the gaming industry, more short term pleasure and short term investment. Go hard and go fast out the gate.

This proves to be a winning model for Blizzard. Unless something mind breaking occurs around gambling = gaming micro transactions, it'll never be addressed as something that's addictive and harmful to the individual.
I feel like this has been old, settled news for years. Mobile revenue overtook console + PC around 2018, and TenCent is the world's biggest video game company thanks to that cash spigot. Casual games have designed their income streams around predatory in-game transactions since... Farmville in 2009? There are probably earlier games, but that was the first one I saw sink its claws into my coworkers. I don't think gambling and lootboxes are even core to the F2P model, they can be predatory and addictive just with a leaderboard, energy meters and shiny, non-random loot. And unless you're an authoritarian state you can't just outlaw everything that's bad for individuals and society, especially when actual gambling is right there and states are running their own lotteries.

Jul 4, 2022, 23:26
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 23:26
Jul 4, 2022, 23:26

Jul 4, 2022, 20:53
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 20:53
Jul 4, 2022, 20:53

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 20:28:
It's weird to see the difference in how people who are addicted to a drug and people who are addicted to gambling or spending unhealthy amounts of money in a game are treated. It feels like the blame gets placed very differently in each scenario.
They have every addicts anonymous under the Sun except for gaming. Expect it to be added next quarter.
https://www.aspenridgefortcollins.com/recovery-blog/na-vs-aa-vs-pa-anonymous-groups-explained/
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jul 4, 2022, 20:28
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 20:28
Jul 4, 2022, 20:28

"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Jul 4, 2022, 19:10
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 19:10
Jul 4, 2022, 19:10

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 13:28:
Diablo Immortal Makes More Than $1 Million Per Day, Despite Outrage

Exploiting gaming addiction for profit.
It's actually even worse, this game is specifically DESIGNED to hit those PRONE to addictions. Not just addiction itself, it is designed to specifically TRIGGER addiction behavior patterns and reinforce them.

But fair is fair, I won't be getting Diablo 4 after their shop job listing either. PoE2 looks mighty tasty

Jul 4, 2022, 19:04
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 19:04
Jul 4, 2022, 19:04

Yep. Fuck Blizzard, and Diablo 4. I can't wait to see what sort of RMAH-level bullshit they eventually pull with that game.

Jul 4, 2022, 13:28
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 13:28
Jul 4, 2022, 13:28

Diablo Immortal Makes More Than $1 Million Per Day, Despite Outrage

Exploiting gaming addiction for profit.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jul 4, 2022, 12:54
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 12:54
Jul 4, 2022, 12:54

What's one little hit going to hurt? The first taste is always free.

Jul 4, 2022, 12:48
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 12:48
Jul 4, 2022, 12:48

That is why they do not let the outrage affect the course they set. They know what they are doing.

Jul 4, 2022, 12:39
Re: Biz Buzz Jul 4, 2022, 12:39
Jul 4, 2022, 12:39

Wish i could shit out a product nobody wants and clear a milly a day.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older