Out of the Blue

The kitchen faucet here in the Blue Tower recently began dripping. Again, I should say, as this is the repeat of a problem that popped up early last year. I fixed that at the time by replacing the cartridge. So I guess the problem reoccurring could just as easily be in my repair skills as in the quality of the part in question. But there is a bit of good news, a the last repair was so recent that I didn't need any sort of refresher on what to do. The replacement for our replacement cartridge arrived yesterday, and I had it installed in minutes. I suppose if these keep breaking after 18 months it would represent a real problem, but it would still take 15 years for it to cost more than replacing the entire faucet. And this way I also get to pretend to myself that I'm some sort of handyman.

Leaky Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Link

Stories

Science
Thanks Acleacius.

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic
Jul 4, 2022, 13:04
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 13:04
Jul 4, 2022, 13:04

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 09:14:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 08:12:
I just read an article on Lewis body dementia, the disease that "killed" Robin Williams. It also sounds pretty terrifying, losing complete control of both mental and physical faculties as your brain gets devoured piece by piece by Lewis bodies.
Didn't know about this one , apparently it is actually referred to as Dementia with Lewy bodies. And it was only discovered in Williams' autopsy.

At the time of his suicide on August 11, 2014, Robin Williams, the American actor and comedian, had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. According to his widow, Williams had experienced depression, anxiety and increasing paranoia. His widow said that his autopsy found diffuse Lewy body disease, while the autopsy used the term diffuse Lewy body dementia. Dennis Dickson, a spokesperson for the Lewy Body Dementia Association, clarified the distinction by stating that diffuse Lewy body dementia is more commonly called diffuse Lewy body disease and refers to the underlying disease process. According to Dickson, "Lewy bodies are generally limited in distribution, but in DLB, the Lewy bodies are spread widely throughout the brain, as was the case with Robin Williams." Ian G. McKeith, professor and researcher of Lewy body dementias, commented that Williams' symptoms and autopsy findings were explained by DLB.
Yeah, I typed it correctly, stupid autocorrect on my phone and I didn't notice.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jul 4, 2022, 12:11
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 12:11
Jul 4, 2022, 12:11

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 09:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2019, 13:00:
Robin Williams wife talks about her husband
The terrorist inside my husband's brain
Any kind of Parkinson/Dementia like illness is scary AF to me - my patient will has a clause in it that forbids life prolonging when any late stage Parkinson or anything similar is diagnosed.

Jul 4, 2022, 09:57
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 09:57
Jul 4, 2022, 09:57

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 09:46:
If a cut-off is so stuck that it does not cut off what it's supposed to cut off then you should cut off the cut-off and replace it with a new cut-off.
The only consequence is the effect on my water bill. I'll deal with it eventually, but I'm enough of a procrastinator and lazy bum that it probably won't happen any time soon. Truthfully, the main reason I haven't bothered to call a plumber is having heard from friends recently how much difficulty they have had doing that recently. That and the leak is so small if I am not in the bathroom I can't hear it. If I could hear the water running elsewhere in the house I'd definitely deal with it.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 4, 2022, 09:55
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 09:55
Jul 4, 2022, 09:55

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2019, 13:00:
Robin Williams wife talks about her husband
The terrorist inside my husband's brain
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jul 4, 2022, 09:46
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 09:46
Jul 4, 2022, 09:46

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 20:37:
Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 19:56:
If you have a driver drill or impact driver it'll get it out.
The issue isn't removing the valves. I could cut the valves out if I wanted to. The issue is being able to replace them so I can turn the water on again after their removal.

If a cut-off is so stuck that it does not cut off what it's supposed to cut off then you should cut off the cut-off and replace it with a new cut-off.

Joking aside, I replaced my cold water inlet valve on my gas heating 5 times in 12 years..... don't cheapen out on repairing water related stuff. You WILL need cut-offs eventually, and better you fix it now than if you actually need the damn thing to cut off what it is supposed to. And while at it, make sure your mains cut-off is still working since if that is also broken I'd be worried. You never know when a pipe decides that contents inside should really not be inside anymore....

Jul 4, 2022, 09:14
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 09:14
Jul 4, 2022, 09:14

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 08:12:
I just read an article on Lewis body dementia, the disease that "killed" Robin Williams. It also sounds pretty terrifying, losing complete control of both mental and physical faculties as your brain gets devoured piece by piece by Lewis bodies.
Didn't know about this one , apparently it is actually referred to as Dementia with Lewy bodies. And it was only discovered in Williams' autopsy.

At the time of his suicide on August 11, 2014, Robin Williams, the American actor and comedian, had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. According to his widow, Williams had experienced depression, anxiety and increasing paranoia. His widow said that his autopsy found diffuse Lewy body disease, while the autopsy used the term diffuse Lewy body dementia. Dennis Dickson, a spokesperson for the Lewy Body Dementia Association, clarified the distinction by stating that diffuse Lewy body dementia is more commonly called diffuse Lewy body disease and refers to the underlying disease process. According to Dickson, "Lewy bodies are generally limited in distribution, but in DLB, the Lewy bodies are spread widely throughout the brain, as was the case with Robin Williams." Ian G. McKeith, professor and researcher of Lewy body dementias, commented that Williams' symptoms and autopsy findings were explained by DLB.

Jul 4, 2022, 09:08
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 09:08
Jul 4, 2022, 09:08

Kxmode wrote on Jul 4, 2022, 01:59:
I just read about a severe medical condition called Prosopagnosia.
I didn't know the name of it, but I knew this condition existed. There are also people at the opposite end of the spectrum super recognisers, people whose facial recognition ability is very high. I saw a 60 Minute segment where this was talked about. They had a couple of super recognisers who they showed childhood photos of famous people. In all of the examples I couldn't see the resemblance even after knowing who it was, but the super recognisers figured them out, sometimes almost instantly.

Jul 4, 2022, 08:12
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 08:12
Jul 4, 2022, 08:12

I just read about a severe medical condition called Prosopagnosia. I think this one is likely near the top of the worst mental health conditions. People describe it as "faces melting off" or "I just see smooth egg-shaped heads with no facial features." What a nightmare! 😳
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jul 4, 2022, 06:44
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 06:44
Jul 4, 2022, 06:44

I just read about a severe medical condition called Prosopagnosia. I think this one is likely near the top of the worst mental health conditions. People describe it as "faces melting off" or "I just see smooth egg-shaped heads with no facial features." What a nightmare! 😳
Don't tell anyone, but even without this I can't tell most human faces apart..... everyone looks the same....
Wait a minute.. maybe that problem is where I live and not with me... MHH

Jul 4, 2022, 01:59
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 4, 2022, 01:59
Jul 4, 2022, 01:59
 Kxmode

"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

Jul 3, 2022, 20:37
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 20:37
Jul 3, 2022, 20:37

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 19:56:
The issue isn't removing the valves. I could cut the valves out if I wanted to. The issue is being able to replace them so I can turn the water on again after their removal.

Jul 3, 2022, 19:56
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 19:56
Jul 3, 2022, 19:56

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 18:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 17:47:
In case of valves you can get yourself something like this
Yeah, not so much. It is what I would call a "retail, home, water valve shutoff". Something similar to this. There are things I could use to get more leverage, I'm just concerned I'll break it. And while I can turn off my water, if I break it without a method of replacing it, that would be seriously problematic...

Jul 3, 2022, 18:09
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 18:09
Jul 3, 2022, 18:09

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 17:47:
Yeah, not so much. It is what I would call a "retail, home, water valve shutoff". Something similar to this. There are things I could use to get more leverage, I'm just concerned I'll break it. And while I can turn off my water, if I break it without a method of replacing it, that would be seriously problematic...

Jul 3, 2022, 17:47
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 17:47
Jul 3, 2022, 17:47

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 16:45:
Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 14:52:
I've got a kitchen faucet that is beyond dripping but my water bill is so low that I'm not too stressed about it. I looked into it, and did actually buy a replacement valve to slot in, but for the life of me couldn't get the handle off the valve. It's held on by a single fucking screw but removing the screw and drenching the thing in WD-40 still wouldn't free it, even with all the elbow grease in the world. The other handle pops off just fine but that one isn't leaking...

Don't have the money to have some overpriced repair goon come out anyway.
I'm having a similar issue with a bathroom sink. It has a slow drip which I assume is due to a rubber seal in the faucet having deteriorated sufficiently to cause the problem. Unfortunately the shutoff valves are locked tight. I haven't been able to loosen them. I figure the valves probably haven't been used since the house built in 1976. I know I hadn't touched them since buying the house in 2005. I don't recall if my home inspector tried them, but I'm guessing he didn't.

I dunno what ya call that in English ^^
Guess Adjustable Belt Spanner but I got one of these and whatever I can't turn, this turns it. Leverage multiplies force, so be sure to hold the other end of whatever the thing you are turning is attached as well (needs second person sometimes ,p) I nearly ripped piping out of the wall once when I tried to loosen my water cut-off for my second toilet, never turned since 1996.... so these things are worth gold, and non-destructive because rubber, but ya can find a lot of range in how soft vs sticky vs hard the belt is.. oh well ^^

Jul 3, 2022, 17:06
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 17:06
Jul 3, 2022, 17:06

Maybe try a small butane torch. It will likely come right off after that. Assuming you haven't stripped things too badly.

Jul 3, 2022, 16:45
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 16:45
Jul 3, 2022, 16:45

Hardline Mike wrote on Jul 3, 2022, 14:52:
I've got a kitchen faucet that is beyond dripping but my water bill is so low that I'm not too stressed about it. I looked into it, and did actually buy a replacement valve to slot in, but for the life of me couldn't get the handle off the valve. It's held on by a single fucking screw but removing the screw and drenching the thing in WD-40 still wouldn't free it, even with all the elbow grease in the world. The other handle pops off just fine but that one isn't leaking...

I'm having a similar issue with a bathroom sink. It has a slow drip which I assume is due to a rubber seal in the faucet having deteriorated sufficiently to cause the problem. Unfortunately the shutoff valves are locked tight. I haven't been able to loosen them. I figure the valves probably haven't been used since the house built in 1976. I know I hadn't touched them since buying the house in 2005. I don't recall if my home inspector tried them, but I'm guessing he didn't.

Jul 3, 2022, 15:32
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 15:32
Jul 3, 2022, 15:32

Are you sure the problem isn't as simple as worn washers? That's generally the case. And I don't what kind of platinum-plated faucet you have but replacing them is easy and not all that expensive - most of the time - in the $50-$100 category.

Jul 3, 2022, 14:52
Re: OotB: Drip the light fantastic Jul 3, 2022, 14:52
Jul 3, 2022, 14:52

"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older