Denuvo SecureDLC Announced

Denuvo announces Denuvo SecureDLC, a new DRM product intended to defend downloadable content from piracy, even if the base game is free-to-play. Here's more on this latest product to torture both legitimate customers and pirates:
In addition to the actual game purchase, gaming revenue also comes from selling additional content and microtransaction-based purchases, presenting significant revenue generation opportunities for game developers and publishers. While selling additional content is an important revenue stream, it has become easy to bypass the existing barriers that try to secure DLCs on popular gaming platforms like Steam and Epic. By using public and easily accessible tools, players can automatically generate and install programs that access downloadable content without paying for it.

While some DLCs are offered for free, players typically must pay additional fees to unlock new content or features. They are usually extensions for a base game and can be anything from cosmetic items, new characters, weapons, and power-ups to big content updates for a game that are only included in certain versions of the game (like a collectors’ edition) or must be purchased separately.

The industry’s first secure solution can be applied to games that are free to play and rely on revenue stream entirely from DLCs, and also on games that are currently protected by the existing Denuvo Anti-Tamper product.
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced
Jul 2, 2022, 14:54
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 2, 2022, 14:54
Jul 2, 2022, 14:54

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 2, 2022, 07:06:
Can DRM be inconvenient, put an end of life to your game, or even harmful if badly managed ? Yes.
I also would like no DRM or lighter ones, but won't fret about trends I can't change nor deny the realities and logistics of the matter.
Read the article. CDPR wasn't always anti-DRM. The Witcher 1 and 2 both had DRM, and they realized it didn't do anything to stop piracy and only inconvenienced their customers.
It occurred to us that twisted logic governs this issue. We pay for a type of protection that requires users to go through a series of authenticating measures, then it fails to work, while the pirated version is actually more user-friendly, easier for gamers to deal with. As it turns out, we were quite naïve to agree to DRM in the first place, I have to say, but ultimately it is the mistakes we make that provide the most valuable lessons...

Is it just software that you accept DRM as necessary or would you be fine with the equivalent this in other areas of your life. How about DRM in your car? Before you can drive it, it has to phone home and make sure its not being stolen. Then you take a trip and stop somewhere without cell service and it won't start because it can't phone home. Would you like to be strip searched when entering and exiting stores to prove you aren't stealing?

DRM didn't go over well with movies and music and digital books. Consumer backlash is why digital music and books are DRM free. When you buy a DVD/Bluray, you don't have to register it and be online to play it. Why is it just games where people think its OK for this?
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety

Jul 2, 2022, 10:17
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 2, 2022, 10:17
Jul 2, 2022, 10:17

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 2, 2022, 07:06:
MeanJim, I see you are determined, so cite CDPR, famous for their anti-DRM position.
Good reference, but how many more take that radical(?) stance.

Resident Evil Village is uncracked after 13 months.
Of course some will wait for a crack, for lack of money, patient disposition, or rabid piracy beliefs.
But many others won't wait and pay, when otherwise might have used piracy.

Can DRM be inconvenient, put an end of life to your game, or even harmful if badly managed ? Yes.
I also would like no DRM or lighter ones, but won't fret about trends I can't change nor deny the realities and logistics of the matter.

WannaLog, what you are saying is that publishers have screwed the developers under them for a myriad of reasons and especially when a game does not sell to an impossibly high standard set by the publisher. It is basically a fact that publishers are assholes and treat the studios under them like shit. That does not mean that piracy is the major contributing factor to a game's success. Guardians of the Galaxy is a great game protected by Denuvo...it did not sell to the expectations of the publisher...if piracy wasn't the issue what was?

Also whether CDPR's stance is radical or not is irrelevant...does it work? It seems to.

In my younger days (19-23) I used to visit the crack sites for games as well. Now I buy whatever I want to play. Looking back at those days, I just wanted to try whatever was the newest thing and I did not have the money to buy all the games I wanted. So even if they were all protected by DRM, I would not have bought any of the ones I pirated anyway because I did not have the cash.

Piracy is the convenient boogeyman to hold up when things don't go the way you thought they would and you're looking for an excuse to your publisher or to yourself. I'm not saying that it has zero impact, but I am saying that the impact that it does have varies and is almost always offset by if the game is both good and captures the imagination of the audience...and if the publisher is a dick (almost always a resounding yes).

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2022, 13:51.

Jul 2, 2022, 07:06
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 2, 2022, 07:06
Jul 2, 2022, 07:06

MeanJim, I see you are determined, so cite CDPR, famous for their anti-DRM position.
Good reference, but how many more take that radical(?) stance.

Resident Evil Village is uncracked after 13 months.
Of course some will wait for a crack, for lack of money, patient disposition, or rabid piracy beliefs.
But many others won't wait and pay, when otherwise might have used piracy.

Jul 2, 2022, 03:23
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 2, 2022, 03:23
Jul 2, 2022, 03:23

"I've actually had quite a few discussions with high level executives who admit they know DRM doesn't work, but if they don't use it somebody might accuse them of not protecting their property. Whenever policy trumps common sense, the best interest of gamers is lost in the process," he added.
CD Projekt Red CEO Marcin Iwinski says industry already knows DRM doesn't work, but continues to use it anyway.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one. - Mr. Diety

Jul 1, 2022, 23:44
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 23:44
Jul 1, 2022, 23:44

Teddy, thanks for correcting me.
Sorry if I had it wrong, but see the link in my post citing mutiple firings in Obsidian, if you didn't read it.
Often an embattled CEO will minimize present and past problems prioritizing their leadership and the name and stability of their company.
Who is right ? Not the slightest.

Now, Metacritic pools pro and gamers reviews.
Do they pool also the Steam reviews ?
Does the formula divide for number of gamers if that data is available ?
If for example, more people had bought the game on Steam instead of pirating it, then they would have had the right to score it, adding more positive reviews.
Or do 1000 in Gog weigh as much as 100,000 in Steam ?
But obviously this are just my ramblings.

What is not rambling is this:
Stop pretending that piracy hurts no one, making DRM unnecesary. It's idiotic.

You know that game companies assess the pros and cons carefully.
Do all deriding DRM know better than they ?
Seems so.
These chose Denuvo at one time or other (or had it chosen for them), are they complete ignorants in their business ?
2K Games
4A Games
505 Games
Anuman
Arc System Works
Arkane Studios
Atlus
Avalanche Studios
Bandai Namco Entertainment
Bethesda Softworks
BioWare
Blue Byte
Capcom
Capcom Vancouver
CCP Games
CI Games
Codemasters
Coldwood Interactive
Creative Assembly
Crystal Dynamics
Crytek
D3T
Deck Nine Games
Deck13
Deep Silver
Dimps
DONTNOD Entertainment
Dovetail Games
EA Canada
EA DICE
EA Digital Illusions CE
EA Sports
Eidos Montréal
Eko Software
Electronic Arts
Frogwares
Frontier Developments
Funcom
Gearbox Publishing
Ghost Games
Giant Squid Studios
Golfzon
Guerrilla Games
Hangar 13
Harmonix Music System
Hazelight Studios
HeadCannon
High Voltage Software
Insomniac Games
Kojima Productions
Konami
Kylotonn
Microsoft Studios
Microïds
Monolith Productions
Neopica
NetherRealm Studios
Omega Force
Pendulo Studios
People Can Fly
PES Productions
PlatinumGames
PopCap Games
Ready at Dawn
Rebellion Developments
Relic Entertainment
Rocksteady Studios
Sega
Shift
Sonic Team
Sonnori Corp
Sony Interactive
South Park Digital Studios
Sports Interactive
Square Enix
Steam
stillalive studios
System 3
The Creative Assembly
TML-Studios
tri-Ace
Ubisoft
Visceral Games
Warner Bros
Zoink

Jul 1, 2022, 21:40
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 21:40
Jul 1, 2022, 21:40

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 1, 2022, 05:52:
Teddy wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 23:44:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 19:04:
How many developers disappeared when piracy ate their investments and efforts of years ?

How many? Can you actually name any? I'm sure there are people who claimed it as an easy boogeyman to blame, but usually companies fail because their games just aren't that good or fail to inspire the interest of the gaming public for whatever reason. That or plain old mismanagement of funds.
Obsidian, from those that *survived*.
And they were famous.
Bethesda f@cked them with their stellar Fallout New Vegas (shining specially on their DLCs), denying them a crucial bonus by a difference of peanuts in sales.
Without piracy they would have made it.
Then Obsidian was in a bad place a couple times, from where they returned to solvency with Pillars of Eternity by Kickstarter.
"... multiple rounds of layoffs. One of those layoff rounds came around the same time when the Irvine-based company missed a Metacritic average review score goal for Fallout: New Vegas, which meant Obsidian reportedly missed out on a bonus payment from its publisher Bethesda."
www.gamedeveloper.com/business/spurned-by-traditional-publishing-obsidian-turns-to-kickstarter

Which is it? Did they not get a bonus because of a metacritic score, or because of piracy? Wikipedia says it was entirely about the metacritic score, and you neglected to mention the 'South Park: Stick of Truth' issues where the game was in limbo for ages after THQ failed, or Tyranny that they poured resources into without it being particularly well-received. It also sold poorly. So, no then... you don't know any companies that disappeared because of piracy. Thank you for clarifying that.

Jul 1, 2022, 19:05
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 19:05
Jul 1, 2022, 19:05

- MeanJim, I respect your comments, do your thing.
So it's not play the DRM games (or pirate them if eventually available, for the freeloaders).

For me, as I prefer to pay the devs for their effort, I wait patiently for a sale and if someday the game stops being usable, I'll resort to a cracked copy it it exists, deeming myself a rightful owner.
If not, well I knew of the possibility already, not that different from any online only or MMO game.
Sad, but doesn't affect me much, have some other 3600 games to play.

And mind, once bought, I've been known to play a sea copy, as there is a certain dame that sometimes adds rare mods and fixes to the mix.

- Yep, eRe4s3r, mission accomplished for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.
8 months uncracked after release date, october 2021, a good run.

And thanks for the heads-up Pirate

Jul 1, 2022, 18:52
Kxmode

Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 18:52
Jul 1, 2022, 18:52
 Kxmode

“Someone has expressed an opinion on something that I simply must tell them how wrong they are.”
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

Jul 1, 2022, 14:45
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 14:45
Jul 1, 2022, 14:45

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 1, 2022, 05:52:
And they were famous.
Bethesda f@cked them with their stellar Fallout New Vegas (shining specially on their DLCs), denying them a crucial bonus by a difference of peanuts in sales.
Josh Sawyer has said many times that missing that bonus was no big deal to them.

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 1, 2022, 06:06:
So it's a personal decision, like buying or not those always on-line SP games.
But Denuvo is a better option as it is retired from many in time, not all of course.
Here is a long list of redeemed titles:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Denuvo#List_of_games_formerly_using_Denuvo_Anti-Tamper
Yes, I choose not to buy rent a broken product. Denuvo doesn't always get removed after release. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided still has it on the Steam version. They've released a DRM Free version on GOG, but they have not removed it from the Steam version.

Yes, there are performance issues associated with Denuvo. Denuvo denies it effects performance and shifts blame to the developer poorly implementing it, but pretty much every game with Denuvo has been shown to have performance issues in them. One game had to remove it shortly after release because the game was unplayable and Steam was issuing refunds for it even if players had gone over the time limit for a refund. Publishers/developers have to pay a constant fee to Denuvo for its service. It wasn't long ago when a story about a game dev/pub folded and when Denuvo stopped getting paid, the game became unplayable and was removed from Steam.

Any game with DRM in it (not just Denuvo) will eventually become unplayable without using a crack. Just like other DRM services before it, Denuvo will eventually shut down. Older disk versions of games that install drivers for DRM like SecuROM and Starforce will not work on newer versions of Windows. DRM is already causing problems running games on new CPUs. If you live in the US, you literally have to break the law (DMCA) to use something you paid for.

We've had DRM install rootkits, and drivers that make your system unstable or vulnerable, online activation services shut down, etc., and none of which has put a dent in piracy. Pirates are going to pirate, they're not customers. Customers are the only ones getting screwed by DRM. How long are you going to keep bending over and asking for more?

Jul 1, 2022, 10:58
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 10:58
Jul 1, 2022, 10:58

- Lies (ignorance or agenda) : Denuvo isn't cracked in hours, minutes.

It works at least for the crucial days/weeks/months of a game release.
Some uncracked ones, interesting to me:
Dying Light 2
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Star Wars Squadrons
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Total War Warhammer III

- Never had a problem with games with Denuvo so I don't care, and I recognize the elemental right to protect your product.

- For years I've visited a most famous site with free fruit (they choose games I like so I find titles to wishlist that I overlooked in Steam's plethora of garbage).
With Denuvo's success, there is a growing notable dearth of titles.
So much so, they are resorting to emulated games from other systems.

- If you produced the game, would you allow thieves to play your games ?
How many developers disappeared when piracy ate their investments and efforts of years ?
Or a plublisher f@cked them for not reaching their contract gain goal, ruining their careers and lives ?
So, don't be so entitled and childish, best returns help to make more games.
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy has been cracked yesterday funnily enough <3

Jul 1, 2022, 06:06
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 06:06
Jul 1, 2022, 06:06

MeanJim wrote on Jul 1, 2022, 00:08:
I've shared this before. I had never heard of Denuvo until I bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at release. A few days later we had a bad storm, and I was without power for a couple of days and after the power was restored, my internet was down for almost a week. Steam went into offline mode and when I tried to play DX:MD, I was greeted with this error. If Denuvo can't phone home, it won't let you play the game you bought. That was the first and last game I bought with Denuvo.
So it's a personal decision, like buying or not those always on-line SP games.
But Denuvo is a better option as it is retired from many in time, not all of course.
Here is a long list of redeemed titles:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Denuvo#List_of_games_formerly_using_Denuvo_Anti-Tamper

Jul 1, 2022, 05:52
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 05:52
Jul 1, 2022, 05:52

Teddy wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 23:44:

How many? Can you actually name any? I'm sure there are people who claimed it as an easy boogeyman to blame, but usually companies fail because their games just aren't that good or fail to inspire the interest of the gaming public for whatever reason. That or plain old mismanagement of funds.
And they were famous.
Without piracy they would have made it.
Then Obsidian was in a bad place a couple times, from where they returned to solvency with Pillars of Eternity by Kickstarter.
"... multiple rounds of layoffs. One of those layoff rounds came around the same time when the Irvine-based company missed a Metacritic average review score goal for Fallout: New Vegas, which meant Obsidian reportedly missed out on a bonus payment from its publisher Bethesda."
www.gamedeveloper.com/business/spurned-by-traditional-publishing-obsidian-turns-to-kickstarter

Jul 1, 2022, 00:08
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jul 1, 2022, 00:08
Jul 1, 2022, 00:08

I've shared this before. I had never heard of Denuvo until I bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at release. A few days later we had a bad storm, and I was without power for a couple of days and after the power was restored, my internet was down for almost a week. Steam went into offline mode and when I tried to play DX:MD, I was greeted with this error. If Denuvo can't phone home, it won't let you play the game you bought. That was the first and last game I bought with Denuvo.

Jun 30, 2022, 23:44
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 23:44
Jun 30, 2022, 23:44

Jun 30, 2022, 23:05
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 23:05
Jun 30, 2022, 23:05

RogueSix wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 16:25:

Yeah, screw them because that is 100% made up, fabricated lies just to fuel the freeloading agenda. And let me preemptively yawn @ any links to clickbaity websites or paid YouTubers with an agenda. You can't take such benchmarks serious anyway because any benchmark run on a freeloader's virus and malware infested machine is worthless. Virus and malware they contracted from trying out cracks, of course. And then they have the nerve to blame their virus and malware issues on Denuvo. Funny.

Ah yes. Because issues I've run into are false. Neat. I don't pirate anything yet have had DRM fail in multiple games. Machine isn't infested with viruses or malware.
How much do you get paid for this? Cause as others have pointed out, you've gone full bore on this.

I'd like to point out that all software has bugs that lead to unintentional outcomes. Why do you think DRM is devoid of this?

Also nice to see you ignored the part about how piracy doesn't actually change sales much. But do go on.

Jun 30, 2022, 19:39
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 19:39
Jun 30, 2022, 19:39

I never buy a game with Denuvo. I have no issue with people who do. My resistance came down to two issues: Game Performance and Authetication Servers.

Game Performance has suffered in the past with older versions of Denuvo. I can't speak for the current versions. I will concede that older versions degrading is probably offset by faster cpu's nowadays (I'm theorizing)

It's the Authentication that is my main bugbear. Servers go down all the fricken time... sometimes they even end of life.

Also, I like to wipe clean my OS drive whenever I feel. That always triggers Denuvo and, while my action causes it, I don't need to change my habits to accommodate DRM.

The solution for me was just to opt out of the whole denuvo thing. Funny thing is, I would tolerate it for a short period of time if the developer gave a time-frame in which it would be removed.

Jun 30, 2022, 19:18
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 19:18
Jun 30, 2022, 19:18

Say what you will about Denuvo, but it does actually work. Guy saying "its cracked within hours" is straight up full of shit. You can check the relevant subreddits to see the vast lists of uncracked games. There have been exceptions, like a game where a Demo executable was used to create a crack, or another time an unprotected exe accidentally got exposed in an update. But for the most part, it's months wait for a cracked Denuvo game. There's only one or two crackers who bother with Denuvo. It's a laborious time intensive process, and there are more games than there is time to crack them, so there's a triage effect where some less popular titles will simply never be cracked. What's more, if it's a game with long term support and updates, you're probably stuck on an old version of the game because no one is going to go back and repeat the process for a patch. (e.g. something like Assassin's Creed Valhalla)

Though I am curious about what this new DLC thing is meant for. Most free-to-play games are online focused and have a server side authentication to begin with. Are there a lot of free single player games that rely solely on DLC for revenue?
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Jun 30, 2022, 19:04
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 19:04
Jun 30, 2022, 19:04

- Lies (ignorance or agenda) : Denuvo isn't cracked in hours, minutes.

It works at least for the crucial days/weeks/months of a game release.
Some uncracked ones, interesting to me:
Dying Light 2
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Star Wars Squadrons
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
Total War Warhammer III

- Never had a problem with games with Denuvo so I don't care, and I recognize the elemental right to protect your product.

- For years I've visited a most famous site with free fruit (they choose games I like so I find titles to wishlist that I overlooked in Steam's plethora of garbage).
With Denuvo's success, there is a growing notable dearth of titles.
So much so, they are resorting to emulated games from other systems.

- If you produced the game, would you allow thieves to play your games ?
Or a plublisher f@cked them for not reaching their contract gain goal, ruining their careers and lives ?
So, don't be so entitled and childish, best returns help to make more games.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2022, 19:16.

Jun 30, 2022, 17:19
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 17:19
Jun 30, 2022, 17:19

RogueSix wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 17:00:
Armengar wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 16:36:
TBH you are coming across a bit too fanboy. In my yoof I might have graced a few scenes myself, not so much in the later years when I actually had money. I cant ever recall getting a virus, having details stolen, having CPU cycles robbed by coin miners etc. Im not saying such payloads in cracked games arent out there but anyone in the know can get clean releases. I haven't heard of any uncrackable games though (outside online only ones such as D3 etc).

The bold part does not apply to the vast majority of people. I worked for a PC system builder in the early 2000s. Every day dozens of people piled into our store with their PCs under their arms complaining that we sold them a shit PC that no longer works.

I'm seriously not lying or exaggerating when telling you that 9/10 cases was user error and that 9/10 machines were infected by viri or malware. Many machines literally had hundreds or even thousands of different positives from trojans to worms to mal- and annoyware. I will never get the constant Avira beeping out of my head.

When examining the internet history of these machines, it was very clear that the so called "work PC that I need back tonight at the latest" (as per the customer) was in reality mostly used for p&p (piracy of games and movies & pr0n). And it would have been as easy as running the free Avira to avoid any of this crap but the vast majority of regular customers was either careless and stupid or simply too full of themselves (I'm too smart to contract viri or malware since I pay attention to what I'm doing).

Yeah, the online world is a very different place than it was 20 years ago. Malware and viruses exist, but they're nowhere near as common as they were. Either way, your personal opinion and anecdotes are not proof that the people who have suffered poor performance in denuvo games have computers loaded with viruses or malware. Professional sites have done tests that proved it has caused problems in the past, Tom's Hardware among others.

Jun 30, 2022, 17:00
Re: Denuvo SecureDLC Announced Jun 30, 2022, 17:00
Jun 30, 2022, 17:00

Armengar wrote on Jun 30, 2022, 16:36:
TBH you are coming across a bit too fanboy. In my yoof I might have graced a few scenes myself, not so much in the later years when I actually had money. I cant ever recall getting a virus, having details stolen, having CPU cycles robbed by coin miners etc. Im not saying such payloads in cracked games arent out there but anyone in the know can get clean releases. I haven't heard of any uncrackable games though (outside online only ones such as D3 etc).

The bold part does not apply to the vast majority of people. I worked for a PC system builder in the early 2000s. Every day dozens of people piled into our store with their PCs under their arms complaining that we sold them a shit PC that no longer works.

I'm seriously not lying or exaggerating when telling you that 9/10 cases was user error and that 9/10 machines were infected by viri or malware. Many machines literally had hundreds or even thousands of different positives from trojans to worms to mal- and annoyware. I will never get the constant Avira beeping out of my head.

When examining the internet history of these machines, it was very clear that the so called "work PC that I need back tonight at the latest" (as per the customer) was in reality mostly used for p&p (piracy of games and movies & pr0n). And it would have been as easy as running the free Avira to avoid any of this crap but the vast majority of regular customers was either careless and stupid or simply too full of themselves (I'm too smart to contract viri or malware since I pay attention to what I'm doing).
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older