EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience

It's all about EVE on the EVE Online Website where there are details on EVE Evolved, a visual overhaul of EVE Online representing "CCP Games’ commitment to keep EVE Online at the forefront of visceral supremacy." This involves changes under the hood, adding DirectX 12 support, and more. Here's a new trailer with a first look. The post also includes details on a new version of the new player experience. The space-based MMORPG is notoriously ruthless, and this is the latest effort at allowing new players to get their feet wet before they are overwhelmed. Here's word on that:
New players getting their teeth into career agents now will be in for a treat. Career agent missions feature remastered environments designed to entice and to create an immersive experience like no other. The Enforcer career agent is seeing further improvements that shape what is to come: a modernized conversation window (when using Photon UI) and highlights to help guide new players.

The AIR Career Program (ACP) works with and follows on from each career agent, taking players down four career paths of recommended EVE content. Players are rewarded handsomely as they complete goals with support from recommended Skill Plans. The ACP culminates in a graduation moment, sending players out as capable Capsuleers ready to tackle the challenges of New Eden!
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: EVE Online Overhaul
Jun 30, 2022, 18:44
Re: EVE Online Overhaul Jun 30, 2022, 18:44
Jun 30, 2022, 18:44

"CCP Games’ commitment to keep EVE Online at the forefront of visceral supremacy."

Since when, it's never been that. The only thing i do see, after 11 years away CCP are still as delusional as ever.

Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience
Jun 30, 2022, 03:52
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 30, 2022, 03:52
Jun 30, 2022, 03:52

Kxmode wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 20:20:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 14:48:
Can someone please help me with something? I just installed EvE Online, and right click on my mouse doesn't work for me. I can't access half the UI in the game as a result and Im frustrated beyond belief....:(
Pretty sure that's part of the "notoriously ruthless" experience.

Actually it was part of the tutorial experience, as soon as the tutorial was over right click was back.

Jun 29, 2022, 20:20
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 20:20
Jun 29, 2022, 20:20
 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 14:48:
Can someone please help me with something? I just installed EvE Online, and right click on my mouse doesn't work for me. I can't access half the UI in the game as a result and Im frustrated beyond belief....:(
Pretty sure that's part of the "notoriously ruthless" experience.
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

Jun 29, 2022, 14:48
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 14:48
Jun 29, 2022, 14:48

Jun 29, 2022, 08:08
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 08:08
Jun 29, 2022, 08:08

Simon Says wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 05:10:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 28, 2022, 13:18:
Would love to give it another try, but I'm afraid I would get burned...again. This game is extremely unforgiving to players who just want to do their own thing, or even small clans/corps.

What?

Eve has never been more noob friendly. I speak from experience, I have 2 chars from the week the game released in 2003.

Disclaimer: I don't play the game anymore, so I don't have any beef in this game.

Back then you had to go uphill bothways in a hailstorm to make a meager "living" in the game. There were no guides, no help, no shortcuts. You had to figure everything out as you went along, trial and punishing after punishing error. That meme about the learning curve? It WAS true. Making any kind of meaningful ISK/progress was a BITCH! But it was rewarding! It took months to get into a cruiser. YEARS to get into a battleship and afford to run it ( so afford to lose it ).

Nowadays you can make the same progress in a stupidly small fraction of the time ( not even taking into account the skill points injectors they introduced a few years back ). The wealth/progress making opportunities are insane, it's easy mode. There are guides, help and hand-holding for EVERYTHING. New players are in battleships during the first month(s) EASY PEAZY. The meme doesn't mean anything anymore, it's a joke!

You guys have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

It's so noob friendly that some "bad bad vets" are accusing CCP of having dumbed down the game way too much. And I must say in some instances I have to agree with them.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll give it a go then. Back when I used to play, it was exactly the way you described it in your first paragraph.

Jun 29, 2022, 06:40
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 06:40
Jun 29, 2022, 06:40

Abstract spreadsheet PVP, no thanks.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jun 29, 2022, 05:10
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 05:10
Jun 29, 2022, 05:10

Would love to give it another try, but I'm afraid I would get burned...again. This game is extremely unforgiving to players who just want to do their own thing, or even small clans/corps.

What?

Eve has never been more noob friendly. I speak from experience, I have 2 chars from the week the game released in 2003.

Disclaimer: I don't play the game anymore, so I don't have any beef in this game.

Back then you had to go uphill bothways in a hailstorm to make a meager "living" in the game. There were no guides, no help, no shortcuts. You had to figure everything out as you went along, trial and punishing after punishing error. That meme about the learning curve? It WAS true. Making any kind of meaningful ISK/progress was a BITCH! But it was rewarding! It took months to get into a cruiser. YEARS to get into a battleship and afford to run it ( so afford to lose it ).

Nowadays you can make the same progress in a stupidly small fraction of the time ( not even taking into account the skill points injectors they introduced a few years back ). The wealth/progress making opportunities are insane, it's easy mode. There are guides, help and hand-holding for EVERYTHING. New players are in battleships during the first month(s) EASY PEAZY. The meme doesn't mean anything anymore, it's a joke!

You guys have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

It's so noob friendly that some "bad bad vets" are accusing CCP of having dumbed down the game way too much. And I must say in some instances I have to agree with them.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2022, 05:26.

Jun 29, 2022, 02:30
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 02:30
Jun 29, 2022, 02:30

Hardline Mike wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 01:06:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 00:12:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 28, 2022, 22:21:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 28, 2022, 17:50:

Why play a game like this at all if that's how you feel? And why venture into low-sec if you really understood the risk? As mentioned, longer safe routes are always an option. It's no more work to plot that course and autopilot takes you the whole way regardless, it just takes longer.

It wasn't ignorance of PVP in choosing the route. It was the ignorance of not knowing the brutality of EVE players toward low-level players or, as Blue noted in his comment, EVE's notorious ruthlessness. I learned that through first-hand experience. CCP is not going to attract a large number of new players so long as that mechanic is still around.

They aren't going to attract a large number of new players no matter what they do. The nearly 20 year old spaceship has sailed on that. It's still primarily an economic game where a single person can't really accomplish anything without teaming up with other humans. They won't change that mechanic because this core economic gameplay doesn't allow for a drastic redesign of the PvP interactions for many reasons.

Well that is EXCATLY the problem. I don't mind getting ganked, in fact in a game like EvE i expect that to happen if I venture out of high sec. The problem is that EvE doesn't get the time invested-rewards earned balancing right for when you DO get ganked. At least not when I last played many years ago.

Let me explain: if I can easily get into very cheap ships mission\mine my way relatively quickly to a decent ship that allow ME to go on the offensive and do some solo ganking myself, then I really don't care if the same happens to me. Or rather, I do care, but it's not the end of the world if it does.
If on the other hand, it takes me weeks or months of grinding, to even get to a "proper" ship that's actually good enough to PvP\PvE or a mining\transport vessel that can allow me to earn some big bucks, but I lose it to gank squad, and I've actually lost both TIME and MONEY in such a way that I feel like I'm back to square one, then that is not FUN, that is just BAD game design.

This is how EvE used to be, have they changed that? There are many hardcore MMOs out there that got this balancing act right, a game CAN be brutal and unforgiving, and still fun, but EvE got this balancing act wrong back when I used to play it.

Jun 29, 2022, 01:06
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 01:06
Jun 29, 2022, 01:06

Kxmode wrote on Jun 29, 2022, 00:12:

Why play a game like this at all if that's how you feel? And why venture into low-sec if you really understood the risk? As mentioned, longer safe routes are always an option. It's no more work to plot that course and autopilot takes you the whole way regardless, it just takes longer.

It wasn't ignorance of PVP in choosing the route. It was the ignorance of not knowing the brutality of EVE players toward low-level players or, as Blue noted in his comment, EVE's notorious ruthlessness. I learned that through first-hand experience. CCP is not going to attract a large number of new players so long as that mechanic is still around.

They aren't going to attract a large number of new players no matter what they do. The nearly 20 year old spaceship has sailed on that. It's still primarily an economic game where a single person can't really accomplish anything without teaming up with other humans. They won't change that mechanic because this core economic gameplay doesn't allow for a drastic redesign of the PvP interactions for many reasons.

One thing I'd like to point out is your reference to "low level players." I think this speaks to a fundamental misconception of how EVE players think about the game. No one in space cares what your skillpoints are or where you have them spent. They aren't even looking. Any low skill point character in a shuttle, or crappy T1 frigate could be hauling a cargo of low volume high value cargo. Any low skill point character could be scouting gates to see who is around, going and lighting a cyno somewhere, etc.

The value in killing you has everything to do with the cost-benefit of attacking you. A cheap ship in low sec or null sec is just a free kill. They'd have been idiots to just let you fly on by. This is deeply connected with the economic gameplay loop, which does not work if you've got a workforce of unattackable newbies running around. Especially when most of those newbies would just be alternate accounts of existing players exploiting whatever PvP protections you imagine them adding.

They are also very much reliant on keeping their core player base around for as long as possible. This means that a lot of fundamental changes to the game are just off the table because they'll chase away more players than they add.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

Jun 29, 2022, 00:12
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 29, 2022, 00:12
Jun 29, 2022, 00:12
 Kxmode

Jun 28, 2022, 22:21
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 28, 2022, 22:21
Jun 28, 2022, 22:21

The first time I picked up EVE, I decided to do a long 15-jump haul. The route would take me through 7-8 connecting jumps in 0.4 and below space. I understood there was a risk, but I figured the jump points are pretty close, so it should be okay. It was either that or a longer, safer route. Anyhow, the first 0.4 jump was good. Second: good. But when I came out of the third, I was immediately jumped by 3-4 ships and died within two minutes, and they stole my cargo. My reaction was like, "oh, okay. Well, that's a thing." That's when I logged out, uninstalled, and never returned. I don't care what CCP does. Until they address that nonsense, I'm not returning.

Jun 28, 2022, 17:50
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 28, 2022, 17:50
Jun 28, 2022, 17:50
 Kxmode

It's literally, "you're here for my amusement." I don't play games where players can destroy another player's effort or prey on others via roaming space gangs. Ultima Online and Asheron's Call Darktide was the last time I dealt with that kind of abuse.

The first time I picked up EVE, I decided to do a long 15-jump haul. The route would take me through 7-8 connecting jumps in 0.4 and below space. I understood there was a risk, but I figured the jump points are pretty close, so it should be okay. It was either that or a longer, safer route. Anyhow, the first 0.4 jump was good. Second: good. But when I came out of the third, I was immediately jumped by 3-4 ships and died within two minutes, and they stole my cargo. My reaction was like, "oh, okay. Well, that's a thing." That's when I logged out, uninstalled, and never returned. I don't care what CCP does. Until they address that nonsense, I'm not returning.

Jun 28, 2022, 17:40
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 28, 2022, 17:40
Jun 28, 2022, 17:40
 Kxmode

The problem with EVE Online is 0.0 - 0.4 space, wormhole space, and known space; there's a massive amount of it compared to high-sec. I'm not wasting my time for someone else's enjoyment. If CCP wants players to return, they need to make PVP consensual. I want to grow my character free of the dread that someday some veteran neckbeard (or squadron of them) will wipe out weeks, months, or potentially years of effort. The last time I dealt with that nonsense was Asheron's Call Darktide. I said, "never again."

Jun 28, 2022, 13:18
Re: EVE Online Overhauling Graphics and New Player Experience Jun 28, 2022, 13:18
Jun 28, 2022, 13:18

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older