Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition is now available for PC and consoles as promised. The Windows edition can be found on GOG.com* and Steam. This remake of Westwood's point-and-click adventure game is from Nightdive Studios, the necromancers behind previous updated revivals of System Shock, Shadow Man, Turok, and more. The relaunch is particularly timely, as the classic Ridley Scott film upon which it is based debuted almost exactly 40 years ago on June 25, 1982. A new trailer looks at the re-release. The description discusses the original and the new version:
Originally released in 1997 by Westwood Studios, Blade Runner was one of its era’s most innovative adventure games. Long praised as a masterclass in game design for its painstaking recreation of the sci-fi cinematic masterpiece, the game delivered an unforgettable gaming experience with groundbreaking graphics, an original musical score, and an original branching narrative seamlessly interwoven with the events of Ridley Scott’s 1982 film.

Becoming widely available to a whole new generation of gamers worldwide, fans of the cult adventure game can enjoy a polished and premium restoration with the original Westwood videos reconstructed and upscaled to 4K resolution and 60 FPS, along with a variety of new features such as modern HD display, keyboard and gamepad support, and a new KIA clue interface. Nightdive has also sourced the original foreign-language translations, offering international fans the game in Spanish, German, French, and Italian, as well as Chinese subtitles — just as Westwood intended.
*Blue's News may receive a commission on sales of this item.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released
Jun 24, 2022, 12:57
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 24, 2022, 12:57
Jun 24, 2022, 12:57

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 24, 2022, 11:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 24, 2022, 11:06:
So you bought the new version and are playing it?
What do you think, any glaring issues.

I did and I am.

I never played the original, so at this time I can't compare it to that. I can only judge it on its own merits.

This game uses side borders that are wide enough to land a C-130 on. I understand that this is to not completely distort the original 4:3 aspect ration but they have this art deco horizontal triangle look going on that is not great. Sometimes the mouse cursor will transit to these side bars, other times it stays within the frame and "on screen".

If this is the "uprezzed" version, I would hate to see what the original one looked like. Characters on-screen are largely undetailed and are smeared looking. For example. the dude you play as looks like a tube of oatmeal in a suit of slightly darker colored oatmeal.

If the KIA interface has been redone, I would hate to see what the original was like. It is clean looking but the layout and its use is awkward. Across the top you have a row of buttons. Below that there is a single square "screen" but it is actually divided in to equal quadrants. So far, and granted I have only played for two and a half hours, the lower right quadrant isn't used or at least I do not remember seeing a single thing in it.

As for the game itself, it is easy enough. I do not like having to double-click to shoot once I have my iron out, however. That comes across as clumsy and unintuitive. If your iron is out, and the sights are red, a single click should send a round toward your intended target.
Cool, thanks.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jun 24, 2022, 11:39
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 24, 2022, 11:39
Jun 24, 2022, 11:39

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 24, 2022, 11:06:

I did and I am.

I never played the original, so at this time I can't compare it to that. I can only judge it on its own merits.

This game uses side borders that are wide enough to land a C-130 on. I understand that this is to not completely distort the original 4:3 aspect ration but they have this art deco horizontal triangle look going on that is not great. Sometimes the mouse cursor will transit to these side bars, other times it stays within the frame and "on screen".

If this is the "uprezzed" version, I would hate to see what the original one looked like. Characters on-screen are largely undetailed and are smeared looking. For example. the dude you play as looks like a tube of oatmeal in a suit of slightly darker colored oatmeal.

If the KIA interface has been redone, I would hate to see what the original was like. It is clean looking but the layout and its use is awkward. Across the top you have a row of buttons. Below that there is a single square "screen" but it is actually divided in to equal quadrants. So far, and granted I have only played for two and a half hours, the lower right quadrant isn't used or at least I do not remember seeing a single thing in it.

As for the game itself, it is easy enough. I do not like having to double-click to shoot once I have my iron out, however. That comes across as clumsy and unintuitive. If your iron is out, and the sights are red, a single click should send a round toward your intended target.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 24, 2022, 11:06
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 24, 2022, 11:06
Jun 24, 2022, 11:06

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 24, 2022, 04:11:
Bent wrote on Jun 23, 2022, 19:16:
Also, you can't point and click and move around anymore.

I cannot speak to the rest, but that has not been my experience this evening. Wherever I click, Whatshisname walks to and, wherever I double click, he runs to.
Burrito of Peace

Jun 24, 2022, 09:59
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 24, 2022, 09:59
Jun 24, 2022, 09:59

Whoa this looks dope, I never knew there was an old Blade Runner game. It looks like a full length playable movie.

Jun 24, 2022, 04:11
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 24, 2022, 04:11
Jun 24, 2022, 04:11

I cannot speak to the rest, but that has not been my experience this evening. Wherever I click, Whatshisname walks to and, wherever I double click, he runs to.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 24, 2022, 00:02
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 24, 2022, 00:02
Jun 24, 2022, 00:02

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 23, 2022, 19:04:
4K resolution and 60 FPS, along with a variety of new features such as modern HD display, keyboard and gamepad support, and a new KIA clue interface. Nightdive has also sourced the original foreign-language translations

This is the difference between Nightdive's version and the version gog recently added to their website correct?
4K resolution... in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, with no added resolution or pixels, but added blur and sidebars... so basically, not 4k, and adding nothing that you couldn't get by allowing your current system to upscale the original game already available on GoG. Not a good look.

Jun 23, 2022, 23:58
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 23:58
Jun 23, 2022, 23:58

Nightdive are excellent…

Jun 23, 2022, 21:02
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 21:02
Jun 23, 2022, 21:02

"Chu, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."

Jun 23, 2022, 20:28
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 20:28
Jun 23, 2022, 20:28

Can't comment of Blade Runner, not interested.

But from my experience Nightdive Studios support has been nothing short of stellar.
Neverwinter Nights, Turok 1 and 2, Shadow Man.
They update and patch relentlessly.

I finished Shadow Man a couple weeks ago, fabulous with many enhacements from different sources.
AND today, they added a boss that Acclaim didn't include in the original, and various QOLs and graphic updates (faces of the main characters, etc.), 16 months after releasing their version.
They did similar updates with NWN for compatibility with new modules, etc.

So, stay tuned for probable fixes to any problem.

Jun 23, 2022, 19:53
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 19:53
Jun 23, 2022, 19:53

Holy crap batman, even for 10 bucks of a masterpiece for it's time is considered a POS on release now? Yep, it happened. Stay the hell away by all accounts. So sad to hear because I was legit looking forward to picking this up immediately upon release once I heard it was a thing. Sounds like zero care went into putting this out and well, the people have spoken.

Jun 23, 2022, 19:43
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 19:43
Jun 23, 2022, 19:43

I noticed I can get it half off, $5, at GOG because it's where I bought the 2019 version.

But it is getting hammered in the comments, so I'll wait for it to get patched.
I don't know if GOG is replacing the old re-release with the new one but everyone is saying get the old GOG re-release instead of this one.
From GOG:
"Only on GOG Blade Runner - Enhanced Edition includes the original version of Blade Runner (The original version will be automatically added to your account.)"
Burrito of Peace

Jun 23, 2022, 19:16
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 19:16
Jun 23, 2022, 19:16

Reviews are almost unanimous that this remaster butchered it, removed a fair amount of content, and is rather buggy and clunky compared to the older GOG re-release.

I don't know if GOG is replacing the old re-release with the new one but everyone is saying get the old GOG re-release instead of this one.

Jun 23, 2022, 19:04
Re: Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Released Jun 23, 2022, 19:04
Jun 23, 2022, 19:04

4K resolution and 60 FPS, along with a variety of new features such as modern HD display, keyboard and gamepad support, and a new KIA clue interface. Nightdive has also sourced the original foreign-language translations

This is the difference between Nightdive's version and the version gog recently added to their website correct?
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older