Out of the Blue

Happy summer to those of us here in the northern hemisphere, as today is the solstice. So today I am officially Summertime Blue. Likewise, happy winter to all of you below the equator. It's been seasonally warm around here lately, but we were quite lucky in avoiding the nasty heat wave that recently covered a lot of the country. Here's hoping we can avoid too many of those so we can enjoy the warm weather rather than dread it.

Obituary: Political commentator and columnist Mark Shields dies at 85.
Obituary: Caleb Swanigan, former Purdue men's basketball star and NBA first-round pick, dies at 25.

Summery Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science
Thanks Acleacius.

Media

Auction

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Summertime Blue
Jun 21, 2022, 14:09
Re: OotB: Summertime Blue Jun 21, 2022, 14:09
Jun 21, 2022, 14:09

RIP Mr. Shields. Always enjoyed his work. He was a smart, incisive guy.

Car alarms are a deterrent. There's no such thing as absolute security. And yeah, they do work. Maybe not in big cities but they work rather well in the burbs. If your car alarm goes off at 3AM you're going to check it out. Noise pollution comes with cities. I couldn't believe how noisy Paris was. Near constantly you could always hear a police siren going off somewhere in the city. And they all stand around outside talking, sounding like Maurice Chevalier.

Good on those fisherman. The greedy bastards here would have just killed the poor thing and sold it. Those things are a miracle of nature.

That's really too bad about Jumbo. That was one place I was hoping to check out one of these days. Hong Kong is still on my bucket list of places to go. Wish I had gone in the 80s when it was still the neon capital of the world. Would have loved to visit Kowloon City. For those not familiar with it, it's well worth reading about.
The Strange Saga of Kowloon Walled City
"Anarchic, organic, surreal, this enclave was once among the most densely populated places on Earth." There are a few good HK crime flicks about it too like Chasing the Dragon.

Jun 21, 2022, 14:06
Re: OotB: Summertime Blue Jun 21, 2022, 14:06
Jun 21, 2022, 14:06

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 21, 2022, 13:16:
Does such a device/system exist?

Secure lockout boxes that control a power relay? Oh definitely. They've existed for a long, long time. I remember seeing one in an installation that was built in the early '40s.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 21, 2022, 13:43
Jim
Re: OotB: Summertime Blue Jun 21, 2022, 13:43
Jun 21, 2022, 13:43
Jim

As people say, locks are only intended to keep honest people out of things. A skilled thief can get into anything with no issues. Not like on TV, where they have magic hackers, but LPL on youtube has videos of him breaking into pretty much almost all variants of locks.

Jun 21, 2022, 13:16
Re: OotB: Summertime Blue Jun 21, 2022, 13:16
Jun 21, 2022, 13:16

Does such a device/system exist? But yeah, I have long thought the best car anti-theft device was an attached garage.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 21, 2022, 13:03
Re: OotB: Summertime Blue Jun 21, 2022, 13:03
Jun 21, 2022, 13:03

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2022, 12:56:
"I'd give $19 mil to have a steak dinner with e.musk," said no one ever.

"I'd pay $19 mil to never have to see or hear about Elon Musk ever again", said Burrito.

/---\

Car alarms are utterly pointless, no one pays attention to them. Moreover, most of them are terrible at energy management and will drain a battery flat. A better security option is a secure relay that completely disables the entire power system of a vehicle until a physical key is inserted and turn to close the relay. Now, most humans being the useless, lazy fucks that they are will undoubtedly just leave the key in and turned on. However, if that is found to be the case, they should get zero payout from their insurance company if their vehicle is stolen and lost or stolen and damaged. Make the relay box out of Inconel or Boron steel so it is extremely tough to break in to. I would guess most people are going to notice someone in their driveway or on their street with a gas powered angle grinder or a plasma welder.

Thinking it through a bit further, when the relay is locked open, the vehicle should lock the differential, the brakes, and the transmission, too. That way a shitbird thief can't simply roll it away.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 21, 2022, 12:56
Re: OotB: Summertime Blue Jun 21, 2022, 12:56
Jun 21, 2022, 12:56

"I'd give $19 mil to have a steak dinner with e.musk," said no one ever.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older