Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster

A tweet from Stephen "Pripyat" Kick has word from the Nightdive Studios CEO that the success of Nightdive's Quake Remaster prompted some outreach from Cliff Bleszinski about whether the same sort of remake was possible for the original Unreal. The tweet logically suggests that whether something like this moves forward will depend on how much it interests Epic CEO Tim Sweeney. CliffyB's reply supports that supposition, saying: "Not saying anything for legal reasons." Here's the tweet from Kick that kicked off this discussion:
After our Quake Remaster @therealcliffyb reached out to @TimSweeneyEpic on our behalf hoping we could give Unreal the same treatment...and I guess if you want that leave a message to let Tim know
View : : :

Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster
Jun 4, 2022, 23:09
Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster Jun 4, 2022, 23:09
Jun 4, 2022, 23:09

edaciousx wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 22:52:
Isn't the quake remaster significantly better than everything put out there by the public?

Well, I have to be honest that I'm automatically biased because I am involved/work with an open source Quake engine myself. That being said, there are engines that do just as much if not more, and the Quake remaster actually uses the communities QuakeC fork (FTEQCC), which is really awesome.

I guess when I think about it, I suppose it's the centralization/ease of distribution that is probably the most desirable aspect for players/the communities, I mean if an old game gets something like Steam Workshop, everyone still wins in someway right? The jaded part of me just wishes the remasters/re-releases were more open, Quake's was at least.

Rilcon wrote on Jun 4, 2022, 21:36:
I can't be the only one that would just open Unreal 1's SP maps in UT2K4 and play them fully that way :p

Haha yeah! And playing invasion with Unreal 1 monsters on UT2K4
Date
Subject
Author
Jun 4, 2022Jun 4 2022
   Re: Quake Remaster Inspires Hopes for an Unreal Remaster