9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Saturday Metaverse
May 29, 2022, 21:54
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 29, 2022, 21:54
May 29, 2022, 21:54

In my experience the LowSodium subreddits pop up when the main one has become so filled with complaining that you can't have normal discussion about the topic. For example, in a subreddit dedicated to a game, there may be a bunch of people filling the place up with outrage over some change or something. Outrage generates a lot of upvotes, so those become most visible. You also get a lot of people who think that their special snowflake opinion deserves its own post, instead of just commenting in a related thread. But there are people playing that game who need help with a strategy or some other game mechanic, or want to talk about some mod they found, or just want to share an experience. etc.

If the main subreddit becomes impractical for those sorts of posts, then another one will pop up.
"It's like you have a neon sign that just says 'raw dog me! I'm a bottom!'" -Queen Maeve

May 29, 2022, 11:24
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 29, 2022, 11:24
May 29, 2022, 11:24

Jonjonz wrote on May 29, 2022, 06:36:
Gee, who would think game publishers might use sock puppets to set up mostly positive reddits for thier games?

Games are art, and I welcome differing opinions about them.

I think it works out well, regular you know you get the overall view with a little spice. Non-Sodium for people that like the game and want to discuss it deeper without the Game Sucks or not coming into the equation.

May 29, 2022, 06:36
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 29, 2022, 06:36
May 29, 2022, 06:36

Gee, who would think game publishers might use sock puppets to set up mostly positive reddits for thier games?

Games are art, and I welcome differing opinions about them.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

May 28, 2022, 19:43
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 28, 2022, 19:43
May 28, 2022, 19:43

Simon Says wrote on May 28, 2022, 17:14:
I have a feeling that "LowSodium" and "positive" just means you can't criticize or bring forward problems about a game that they love.

Either you take on the responsibility of managing THEIR feelings for THEM, or they flee crying "I freely choose to take offense" ( paraphrased, they'd probably turn it around trying to make you responsible for their feelings by saying "you offended me" or a variation ).

Reality check: If that's your attitude, the internet is not the place for this, never has been, probably never will be as far as I can see.

UPDATE:

Just checked those subreddits rules, yep, exactly what I thought.

Can be summed up as:

"...if you post a problem with the game or criticism without also providing a solution, you will be banned"

Makes for great bug reporting, crowd sourcing for a solution ( step 1 of solving something is being aware and acknowledging there's a problem in the first place and that you don't have the solution yet ), problems solving ( can't even post the problem and humbly asking for help... ) protests and co.

LOL

Should rename them to "SafeSpaceSnowflakes'gamename'".

OR

"RoseColoredGlasses'gamename'".
The main games sub is insufferable, completely taken over by wet noodle moderators. I remember when you could post things there and have great insight to developers planning, that is no longer the case.

Also, I've noticed that if you criticize a piece of work, people who have bought that work take offense, as if you are insulting them for their buying decision, then they lash out. People really wrap their entire identity in videogames to the point it's scary.

May 28, 2022, 19:25
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 28, 2022, 19:25
May 28, 2022, 19:25

I'm good with both forums, the main one handling everyone and low sodium for those that just want to play the game and share info. I think both existing is good and it might even be a good Steam idea.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2022, 22:36.

May 28, 2022, 19:14
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 28, 2022, 19:14
May 28, 2022, 19:14

Reddit’s karma system is intentionally designed to promote hive mind behavior over open and honest discussion. And that’s before you factor in poor moderation. Because apparently groupthink is what drives views.

May 28, 2022, 17:14
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 28, 2022, 17:14
May 28, 2022, 17:14

I have a feeling that "LowSodium" and "positive" just means you can't criticize or bring forward problems about a game that they love.

Either you take on the responsibility of managing THEIR feelings for THEM, or they flee crying "I freely choose to take offense" ( paraphrased, they'd probably turn it around trying to make you responsible for their feelings by saying "you offended me" or a variation ).

Reality check: If that's your attitude, the internet is not the place for this, never has been, probably never will be as far as I can see.

UPDATE:

Just checked those subreddits rules, yep, exactly what I thought.

Can be summed up as:

"...if you post a problem with the game or criticism without also providing a solution, you will be banned"

Makes for great bug reporting, crowd sourcing for a solution ( step 1 of solving something is being aware and acknowledging there's a problem in the first place and that you don't have the solution yet ), problems solving ( can't even post the problem and humbly asking for help... ) protests and co.

LOL

Should rename them to "SafeSpaceSnowflakes'gamename'".

OR

"RoseColoredGlasses'gamename'".

This comment was edited on May 28, 2022, 17:33.

May 28, 2022, 15:56
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 28, 2022, 15:56
May 28, 2022, 15:56

I totally agree. Searching for info to troubleshoot tech or games is difficult as well. News can break pretty quickly on relevant topics, however, you have to suffer through mounds of irrelavent or repetitive posts.

May 28, 2022, 15:10
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 28, 2022, 15:10
May 28, 2022, 15:10

Reddit just doesn't work for conversation, you get downvoted if you don't make people laugh, and the moderators are terrible, super hivemind. Once a subreddit goes over 100k, you have to form a new one or get invaded. It's also not good at storing information as threads get deleted. To me the site is irrecoverable.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older