Out of the Blue

Disney's stewardship of the Star Wars franchise has been a mixed bag at best, and I've found myself pretty unmoved by the hype of recent projects. But the Obi-Wan Kenobi series is different. The premise and tie-in to the previous movies is a strong draw, and it only took seeing about two promos to suck me in. The first two episodes debut today, and I am risking disappointment by allowing myself to get pretty excited about watching them.

Obituary: Depeche Mode Keyboardist Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher Dead at 60. Thanks Acleacius.

Exiled Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media
Thanks Max.

View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi?
May 30, 2022, 19:58
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 30, 2022, 19:58
May 30, 2022, 19:58
 Kxmode

Prez wrote on May 28, 2022, 03:31:
...I'm old enough to have seen star wars ep4 in the cinema though...

I was 7 years old when I watched A New Hope in the theater. I could not think of a more perfect age to be exposed to Star Wars for the first time. It led to me becoming a lifelong fan of Star Wars. Which is why the level of suckage of everything made after Return of the Jedi hurt so bad. Star Wars has always been way more than just a movie series to me.
My earliest memory of Star Wars was from the early 80s. I think 1980, to be exact when theaters would show Star Wars for years after its initial release. Our family took my mom to the San Francisco airport so she could fly out to see her mom. My siblings and I couldn't go because it was too expensive and we didn't have passports, so my dad stayed behind to look after us. After my mom's flight took off, we were very sad, so to cheer us up, my dad treated us to Burger King. I don't remember what my siblings got, but I remember I got a BK Kid's Club lunch box. It came with a hamburger, french fries, and a coloring page with coloring markers (I think red, green, and blue half-size; or maybe it was full size, and I remember it wrong). I remember while coloring the page, I briefly looked up to see off in the distance a marquee with big capital letters in red screaming "STAR WARS!" I asked my dad if we could see it, and he said sure (an easy request since my dad was a big fan). So we all went to see Star Wars. I remember my dad handed me my ticket stub, and I walked up a ramp that exited in the middle of the auditorium. My dad directed us to seats near the top and in the middle, perfect viewing distance. I don't remember if there were trailers, but I distinctly remember "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away..." and then the bombastic Star Wars theme song playing! I also vividly remember the scene where Luke's X-Wing descends into the Death Star trench from the cockpit's point of view. I also remember the award ceremony and thinking, "3PO and R2 look super shiny!" 🙂
"What does Ramen mean? It means Japanese spaghetti."

May 30, 2022, 18:51
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 30, 2022, 18:51
May 30, 2022, 18:51
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2022, 22:51:
Prez wrote on May 27, 2022, 22:14:
I am always hesitant to talk about my opinions about the recent Star Wars or Star Trek projects because it is hard to avoid sounding like a grumpy old bastard who is pissed off because they "ruined my childhood" simply because they headed in different directions when I wanted the same shit over and over again ad nauseum. But at the risk of sounding like someone who unironically yells at you to get off his lawn, I have absolutely despised everything Star Trek and Star Wars released in the last 20 years. The near soul-crushing disappointment that started with the horrendous prequel trilogy was finished with how bad the execrable final Disney trilogy was. The new Picard vision of the Federation and the incredible stupidity of the script was almost offensive in how bad I thought it was. And that latest abomination of Discovery was even worse to me if that's possible. At this point any show that is connected in any way to the Star Trek or Star Wars universes would have to be universally regarded as so brilliant that they basically qualified as life-changing to get me to watch them.
Nah, Prez. I'm right there with you. The best of the recent SW movies, as El Pit elucidated, was Rogue One: fun and self contained, with great action, even if not perfect. The new trilogy was derivative trash, a waste of money, and a lost opportunity to tell an interesting story. I did enjoy both seasons of Mando: telling small stories well with fun characters and somewhat over-arching galactic consequences, but Boba Fett was kind of crappy. Nu-Trek (Disc, Pic) has been simply unwatchable: just poor quality writing and story telling with unlikeable main characters. Haven't seen SNW yet, so hope springs eternal.
I think it's safe to say Strange New Worlds restored my hope in Star Trek ever returning to a Roddenberry-styled Star Trek. I realize it's not precisely like Roddenberry's version, given the format (movie widescreen vs. 4x3), special effects, characters, storytelling, etc. But the show has heart, and it genuinely tries to be like TOS and TNG back when Gene ran Star Trek.

May 30, 2022, 18:41
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 30, 2022, 18:41
May 30, 2022, 18:41
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2022, 21:00:
Kosinski (Tron Legacy, Oblivion) is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors
I enjoyed Tron: Legacy and Oblivion. I was hoping there would be a sequel to them. I also hope Tom Cruise would reunite with Doug Liman and Christopher McQuarrie for an Edge of Tomorrow sequel one day. I'd like to know how Tom's character handles the Omega's power. So many questions the film left unanswered.

May 28, 2022, 23:36
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 23:36
May 28, 2022, 23:36

Obi-Wan was decent, at least in the sense that it hasn't ruined my childhood... so far.
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

May 28, 2022, 23:07
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 23:07
May 28, 2022, 23:07

I hope Rubicon is good. I tire of these hard scifi movies with obvious plot holes.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

May 28, 2022, 17:43
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 17:43
May 28, 2022, 17:43

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2022, 13:18:
As for ads, I never see them. Maybe Brave blocks them? I don't have any ad block extensions installed.

Brave do indeed block Youtube ads.

May 28, 2022, 14:54
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 14:54
May 28, 2022, 14:54

I'll admit that Return of the Jedi had the weakest sequence in the original trilogy (the Ewoks were pretty annoying in retrospect), but that ending was, and still is, an excellent finale to a brilliant trilogy. Re-watching Return of the Jedi as an adult has, admittedly, given clear signs of Lucas beginning the transformation from filmmaker to marketer/business man, but I feel it still holds up quite well.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 28, 2022, 13:58
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 13:58
May 28, 2022, 13:58

Kenobi sucked, and not for the storyline for once but the fatal flaw of all these Disney shows, the supporting cast fucking suck. Yeah, EW was great as always and even the kid playing Leia was excellent, but the rest? Those inquisitors? Painful to watch. Disney has to stop spending all it's money on its leads and SFX and start hiring better actors in the supporting roles. The overall writing for these SW shows isn't great on the whole either, and downright terrible in a lot of cases. I generally like Kumail Nanjiani but he was terrible in that. Joel Edgerton was on point as always, but he's a damn fine actor anyway.

Disney has never known how to do villains. They always come off as 2 dimensional cartoon supervillains. They have zero depth.

May 28, 2022, 13:51
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 13:51
May 28, 2022, 13:51

Prez wrote on May 28, 2022, 03:31:

I was 7 years old when I watched A New Hope in the theater. I could not think of a more perfect age to be exposed to Star Wars for the first time. It led to me becoming a lifelong fan of Star Wars. Which is why the level of suckage of everything made after Return of the Jedi hurt so bad. Star Wars has always been way more than just a movie series to me.

I was 9. Myself and my pals must have seen it half a dozen times in the theater when it came out. Then Empire was even better. As far as I'm concerned those were the only two good films out of all of it. Return sucked. It was a family film created for the marketers and merchandisers. It was all downhill from that point forward. The prequels were so bad they basically killed the careers of a lot of people attached to them, and rightfully so.

May 28, 2022, 13:29
Jivaro

Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 13:29
May 28, 2022, 13:29
 Jivaro

I, like Prez am old enough to see the first movie in the theatres back in 77. Star Wars and Star Trek have always been huge for me. I have not got a good explanation for why, but unlike Prez and most people of my generation, I have loved all of the stuff. Even the new Star Trek movies. Its a golden age in content as far as I am concerned. Having Marvel also going through renaissance of sorts is just extra at this point.

I am used to the minority opinion though...I mean I also play Diablo 3.

May 28, 2022, 13:18
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 13:18
May 28, 2022, 13:18

GaianElite wrote on May 28, 2022, 11:11:
jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2022, 22:55:
How Dopamine Detoxing Changed My Brain.

I was going to watch this, but decided to avoid the dopamine hit.
I skimmed the video, don't have time to watch 10+ min. (max ad revenue length video) of some dude with tons of jump cuts depicting his life. Got the important parts and got out. Youtube can be terrible for attention span, and it's unwatchable if you leave ads on.
O watched the whole thing, I thought it was interesting. I've been spending less time doing those things anyway, maybe a bit more strictness wouldn't hurt. As for ads, I never see them. Maybe Brave blocks them? I don't have any ad block extensions installed.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

May 28, 2022, 11:11
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 11:11
May 28, 2022, 11:11

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2022, 22:55:
How Dopamine Detoxing Changed My Brain.

I was going to watch this, but decided to avoid the dopamine hit.
I skimmed the video, don't have time to watch 10+ min. (max ad revenue length video) of some dude with tons of jump cuts depicting his life. Got the important parts and got out. Youtube can be terrible for attention span, and it's unwatchable if you leave ads on.

May 28, 2022, 03:31
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 03:31
May 28, 2022, 03:31

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 28, 2022, 03:18
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 03:18
May 28, 2022, 03:18

afka Rossini wrote on May 28, 2022, 03:05:
Prez wrote on May 28, 2022, 00:53:
This might end up being a "duh" kind of moment, but I am struggling to figure out what SNW is.

Oh, and love the Porkins reference.
Just like Star Trek fans refer to the original series as TOS, The Next Generation as TNG, etc.
SNW is shorthand for the new Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

captain christopher pike, commanding, and he does command the screen. anson mount is in the running for best ST captain imo. kirk's masculinity with picard's sensitivity.

May 28, 2022, 03:07
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 03:07
May 28, 2022, 03:07

This might end up being a "duh" kind of moment, but I am struggling to figure out what SNW is.

Sorry, Strange New Worlds, the new Star Trek.

May 28, 2022, 03:05
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 03:05
May 28, 2022, 03:05

Just like Star Trek fans refer to the original series as TOS, The Next Generation as TNG, etc.
SNW is shorthand for the new Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

May 28, 2022, 02:28
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 02:28
May 28, 2022, 02:28

mixed bag for me. im old enough to have seen star wars ep4 in the cinema though. The first time release. My take?
Mando +
BoBF =
1 -
2,3 = the space battles and score saved them
7,8,9 SW =
Solo --
Rogue One -

ive a good chunk of the SW books over the years. not happy with riding roughshod over them.

Im also an ST fan. Happy to watch all the kirk films as they were cheesily watchable. TNG era was also good enough, films being ok with a few cringe moments.
Picard -
Discovery -
JJ Abrams stuff -- fuck this reboot, utter shite.

rewatching old trek showed one thing, if there was damage, it stayed. with crap like discovery there are lens flare mountainous explosions and flames but no scorching and the scenes fully repaired between cuts. No attention to detail or continuity.

Marvel stuff, I have generally liked all of it. im trying to think of something I havent liked.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2022, 02:39.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

May 28, 2022, 01:14
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 01:14
May 28, 2022, 01:14

Jivaro wrote on May 28, 2022, 01:02:
Loved Kenobi's first two episodes. The end of two was great.

First episode was kind of meh, second wasn't too bad.

Waiting for it to pick up speed and there's not a long runway. Apparently it's only a what? Six episodes mini-serie?

May 28, 2022, 01:02
Jivaro

Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 01:02
May 28, 2022, 01:02
 Jivaro

Loved Kenobi's first two episodes. The end of two was great.

May 28, 2022, 00:53
Re: OotB: Old Ben Kenobi? May 28, 2022, 00:53
May 28, 2022, 00:53

- Mahatma Gandhi
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older