19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
May 23, 2022, 18:59
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 23, 2022, 18:59
May 23, 2022, 18:59

Teddy wrote on May 22, 2022, 18:57:
WaltSee wrote on May 22, 2022, 09:38:
I remember a day when America respected everyone...

No you freaking don't. That 'day' never existed. Or does your "everyone" not include black people, women, gay people, trans people, or any other group that the US has gone to great efforts to demonize and discriminate against?
Not to mention, how many democratically elected governments did the CIA overthrow/try to overthrow?
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

May 22, 2022, 23:15
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 23:15
May 22, 2022, 23:15

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 22, 2022, 11:04:
bigspender wrote on May 22, 2022, 05:44:
Over a 5 year period averaging a total of 100,000 miles the lack of the service and fuel costs make it the same total price as a much cheaper combustion vehicle. So while you pay 25% more up front, you get it all back. But during those 5 years you're driving a much nicer car.

OK, now do it over ten years including the battery replacement that will be necessary, the initial investment in infrastructure to charge this thing at your house and the added kwH costs in your home utility bill. This is where your "savings" begin to bottom out. Nobody with any financial common sense replaces their vehicle every five years.

I explained that poorly, it's in a price range and category where people lease cars for 3 to 5 years because it's part of their salary package or business expense. For a lot of people they won't be shopping in that price range, and for them value is a Kia Rio. But when they're looking at model 3's fossil fuel competitors, it's a far better value proposition in just about every way.

The current battery is good for at least 300,000 miles, the new one just about to come out will go a million miles. Unfortunately for electric cars highway cruising is worse than city driving for them, unlike gas cars, so it's buying used "highway miles" for an electric car is somethign to stay away from, better off buying the low miles city car.

I would also expect the price of batteries to fall over the next 10 years, as well as improve too. It may not be long until you can keep a car for life, which is an interesting idea.

May 22, 2022, 18:57
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 18:57
May 22, 2022, 18:57

I remember a day when America respected everyone...

No you freaking don't. That 'day' never existed. Or does your "everyone" not include black people, women, gay people, trans people, or any other group that the US has gone to great efforts to demonize and discriminate against?

May 22, 2022, 14:35
Quboid

Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 14:35
May 22, 2022, 14:35
 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2022, 14:29:
What's fun is pre-pedo I was all about Musk, but that really sullied him to me

Meanwhile, at the same time, WaltC hated Musk. Guess he liked Musk calling someone a pedophile for now good reason?

click

Interesting. I wonder when and why WaltC/WaltSee flipped. Maybe just now that Musk has outed his political proclivities?

May 22, 2022, 14:29
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 14:29
May 22, 2022, 14:29

What's fun is pre-pedo I was all about Musk, but that really sullied him to me

Meanwhile, at the same time, WaltC hated Musk. Guess he liked Musk calling someone a pedophile for now good reason?

click

May 22, 2022, 13:13
Quboid

Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 13:13
May 22, 2022, 13:13
 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2022, 10:27:
It's hilarious, in a sad way. Musk used to be the darling of the liberal press, but now that Musk has outed his political proclivities, the (mostly idiot) liberal press is out to scalp him. I remember a day when America respected everyone and championed the freedom of all citizens to support the politics of their choice. I remember when America was sane (mostly.) I don't understand it, but if you are someone who doesn't fit into a narrow-minded cookie-cutter political mold you are libeled, slandered, and viciously attacked. It's all mindless. Judging by the things I've read and seen, I think the extreme liberal press today is insane. I'll take Musk any day of the week over people like Gates. Gates has his head in the clouds and travels the world looking for attention and adulation, whereas Musk puts Space X beyond the clouds, undertakes a world-wide satellite Internet, puts out the first half-way decent EV (I am not an EV fan), and many other things. Musk creates tangible products and services meant to improve the lives of people on this planet, while Gates talks a lot about things he hears about from people who do know what they are doing in the various disciplines Gates likes to associate himself with. For me, the two men are microcosms of the political spectrums they each prefer.

Only you think an expose on a $250k payment coming out under 12 hours of him calling himself a conservative is due to his declaration, not the other way around.

Obviously, and also people have been sick of his shit for years now. Calling someone trying to rescue children from a cave a paedophile (or a child, if you prefer to take a delusional interpretation of his tweet) was the last straw for many. He's had his head in the clouds for a long time.

May 22, 2022, 11:09
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 11:09
May 22, 2022, 11:09

eRe4s3r wrote on May 22, 2022, 04:07:
My god man, do you need help? Should we send someone?
VIM.. and *GASP* SED ? in 2022 ?

By the way, as for nuke pave restore... that should be the norm.

vim is installed by default on almost any distro and I don't need a GUI to use it. So

Depends on the OS in use, what your backup options are, and how critical the system is. Like a workstation? Yes, just nuke and pave that and restore ~/ from a backup. An infrastructure server? I'd rather roll that back with snapshots because that is much faster and with the least amount of downtime.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2022, 11:25.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

May 22, 2022, 11:04
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 11:04
May 22, 2022, 11:04

bigspender wrote on May 22, 2022, 05:44:
Over a 5 year period averaging a total of 100,000 miles the lack of the service and fuel costs make it the same total price as a much cheaper combustion vehicle. So while you pay 25% more up front, you get it all back. But during those 5 years you're driving a much nicer car.

OK, now do it over ten years including the battery replacement that will be necessary, the initial investment in infrastructure to charge this thing at your house and the added kwH costs in your home utility bill. This is where your "savings" begin to bottom out. Nobody with any financial common sense replaces their vehicle every five years.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

May 22, 2022, 10:54
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 10:54
May 22, 2022, 10:54

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 22, 2022, 10:37:
I remember a day when America respected everyone and championed the freedom of all citizens to support the politics of their choice. I remember when America was sane (mostly.)

When was this? Because that's never been the United States in my entire lifetime.

Walt was born during McCarthyism and yet still says things like this

May 22, 2022, 10:37
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 10:37
May 22, 2022, 10:37

I remember a day when America respected everyone and championed the freedom of all citizens to support the politics of their choice. I remember when America was sane (mostly.)

When was this? Because that's never been the United States in my entire lifetime.

May 22, 2022, 10:27
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 10:27
May 22, 2022, 10:27

It's hilarious, in a sad way. Musk used to be the darling of the liberal press, but now that Musk has outed his political proclivities, the (mostly idiot) liberal press is out to scalp him. I remember a day when America respected everyone and championed the freedom of all citizens to support the politics of their choice. I remember when America was sane (mostly.) I don't understand it, but if you are someone who doesn't fit into a narrow-minded cookie-cutter political mold you are libeled, slandered, and viciously attacked. It's all mindless. Judging by the things I've read and seen, I think the extreme liberal press today is insane. I'll take Musk any day of the week over people like Gates. Gates has his head in the clouds and travels the world looking for attention and adulation, whereas Musk puts Space X beyond the clouds, undertakes a world-wide satellite Internet, puts out the first half-way decent EV (I am not an EV fan), and many other things. Musk creates tangible products and services meant to improve the lives of people on this planet, while Gates talks a lot about things he hears about from people who do know what they are doing in the various disciplines Gates likes to associate himself with. For me, the two men are microcosms of the political spectrums they each prefer.

Only you think an expose on a $250k payment coming out under 12 hours of him calling himself a conservative is due to his declaration, not the other way around.

May 22, 2022, 09:43
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 09:43
May 22, 2022, 09:43

Musk in a Nutshell
Hyperloop: Fail
Automatic Self-driving: Fail
Solar Tiles: Fail
Electric Big Rigs: Fail
Twitter deal: Fail
Teslabot: Fail
Marketing: WIN
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

May 22, 2022, 09:38
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 09:38
May 22, 2022, 09:38

It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

May 22, 2022, 05:44
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 05:44
May 22, 2022, 05:44

I don't think Tesla are worried about stocks, they're now able to pump out a million vehicles a year worldwide, more once Berlin opens any day now, and they still have waiting lists. Demand is insane, and will only grow once Cybertruck is in production.

It's no surprise, the basic model 3 is great value. Over a 5 year period averaging a total of 100,000 miles the lack of the service and fuel costs make it the same total price as a much cheaper combustion vehicle. So while you pay 25% more up front, you get it all back. But during those 5 years you're driving a much nicer car.

May 22, 2022, 04:07
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 04:07
May 22, 2022, 04:07

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 22, 2022, 03:37:
jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2022, 00:28:
The surveillance state is certainly a concern, but ransomware is an actual threat.

Ransomware is easy to recover from when planned for properly and baked in to your DR response. I am not nearly as concerned about ransomware on a personal level. Shit goes sideways what are they going to encrypt? My home directory? Oh noes! Restore from latest snapshot. Problem solved. Maybe the second to the most recent. Let's say all of my snapshots are rotten.

OK. nuke, pave, restore from backup. The only thing I am restoring is ~/ which has no executable binaries in it to reinfect the system with. Total downtime? Maybe five minutes?

<Ignores your clear MS bought and paid for shilling >

Teams is a non-starter at my work because it would fail an audit out of the box due to its weak E2EE stance. The fact that it is not on by default for all users and that you have to pick and choose who gets to use E2EE means you don't really have true E2EE. You have something middle management can flog their pud to and feel proud about it. Wire does everything my department's, and other departments, needs and meets audit requirements.

"SharePoint works well"...have you spoken to a SharePoint admin recently? SharePoint falls under the "It isn't that the bear waltzes, it's that the bear dances at all" adage. In the Before Times, when I would go to IT conferences, the people who bitched the loudest were SCCM and SharePoint admins.

Visual Studio? What, you need training wheels? Use vim like a man! I kid on this, in all truth. as I am not a code monkey. I mostly write Ansible, BASH, some Python, and various other Linux oriented stuff. In vim. LIKE A MAN! Though I have been known to go crazy and just use sed. Wild shit, that.

I have no experience with Azure DevOps so I have no opinion on it.

You can fuck right off with that Windows 11 nonsense! I'll have none of it in my house! Protest

My god man, do you need help? Should we send someone?
VIM.. and *GASP* SED ? in 2022 ?

By the way, as for nuke pave restore... that should be the norm. But my god is it not. Like so much not. Funny anecdote.... so local gov right? City with barely 7000 people, 3 people work in town hall and that's it. Their "IT" is 3 PC's VPN'd to federal IT system for the relevant departments and a few printers, including a super fancy "sealed" printer, like with fingerprint and full ID system for printing passport replacements. It's on the network.

If we get hit by crypto trojan all 3 PCs + that printer are completely nuked and local gov functions cease entirely. IT consists of some outsourced idiots far away. They are responsible for all local gov IT in the entire federal state. Since 99% of town hall business runs over email if their local PCs get fucked the entire system falls apart.

NUKE pave FORGET is what I want to do with the entire IT infrastructure in my home federal state ;p

May 22, 2022, 03:37
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 03:37
May 22, 2022, 03:37

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2022, 00:28:
The surveillance state is certainly a concern, but ransomware is an actual threat.

Ransomware is easy to recover from when planned for properly and baked in to your DR response. I am not nearly as concerned about ransomware on a personal level. Shit goes sideways what are they going to encrypt? My home directory? Oh noes! Restore from latest snapshot. Problem solved. Maybe the second to the most recent. Let's say all of my snapshots are rotten.

OK. nuke, pave, restore from backup. The only thing I am restoring is ~/ which has no executable binaries in it to reinfect the system with. Total downtime? Maybe five minutes?

<Ignores your clear MS bought and paid for shilling >

Teams is a non-starter at my work because it would fail an audit out of the box due to its weak E2EE stance. The fact that it is not on by default for all users and that you have to pick and choose who gets to use E2EE means you don't really have true E2EE. You have something middle management can flog their pud to and feel proud about it. Wire does everything my department's, and other departments, needs and meets audit requirements.

"SharePoint works well"...have you spoken to a SharePoint admin recently? SharePoint falls under the "It isn't that the bear waltzes, it's that the bear dances at all" adage. In the Before Times, when I would go to IT conferences, the people who bitched the loudest were SCCM and SharePoint admins.

Visual Studio? What, you need training wheels? Use vim like a man! I kid on this, in all truth. as I am not a code monkey. I mostly write Ansible, BASH, some Python, and various other Linux oriented stuff. In vim. LIKE A MAN! Though I have been known to go crazy and just use sed. Wild shit, that.

I have no experience with Azure DevOps so I have no opinion on it.

You can fuck right off with that Windows 11 nonsense! I'll have none of it in my house! Protest

May 22, 2022, 00:28
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 22, 2022, 00:28
May 22, 2022, 00:28

As the surveillance state continues to tighten its grip, the more creative and mindful we need to be to protect our data.

As for MS, they do get some things right. MS Teams is by far the best company chat client I have used: it's fast, intuitive, and well integrated. SharePoint works well. Visual Studio is simply the best IDE there is. Azure DevOps, while not perfect, is also the best I've used for running Agile teams. And of course, Windows 11 is the greatest OS in the world.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

May 21, 2022, 19:48
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2022, 19:48
May 21, 2022, 19:48

RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2022, 16:53:
The ZDNet side by side comparison showing the differences between encrypted storage and unencrypted was eye-opening.
Oh wait, they didn't do that.

They asked a question in the headline that they didn't even bother to answer in the first place, for fuck's sake!

I obviously can't speak to what Windows does because I trust BitLocker about as far as I can throw a semi over the Rio Grande. However, I can speak to LUKS2 on Linux for full disk encryption. Boot time is slower because, unsurprisingly, you have to unlock the drive at boot. Once it is unlocked and booted though? Same as if it were unencrypted from the start. That's because you're decrypting the entire disk, not per file or per directory.

However, let's say you're a security conscious burrito. You can do full disk encryption plus you can do sub-volume encryption or even per directory encryption. Why? To quote Dave Chappelle "Because fuck 'em, that's why!" I mean, there's a lot of neat things you can do with encryption. You can have a secret sub-volume that is hidden so if your device is seized or imaged and you are compelled to decrypt the disk your secret data is still safe. You could even tie it in to a key. The obvious ones are keys like Yubikey and other brands but you can also make your own keys. There are many things you can hide a slim USB male interface and a tiny PCB in that would work. Just for shits and gigs, I am using my Flipper as a "key" to unlock a hidden volume on my laptop. There is nothing in it, just a proof of concept to show that I can.

As the surveillance state continues to tighten its grip, the more creative and mindful we need to be to protect our data.

/---\

"One explanation for the influx of features associated with Bing and Microsoft Edge is that Microsoft wants to increase usage of Edge, Bing and other Microsoft properties. Increased usage increases Microsoft's revenue at the same time, as advertising revenue increases with usage. The features may also keep users in Microsoft's ecosystem of services and applications longer.

The features are enabled by default, as this ensures that the majority of users are exposed to them. Disabling is just a few clicks away, but it may not always be apparent right away. For instance, a right-click on the Widgets icon does nothing; you have to right-click on the taskbar instead, select Taskbar Settings, and toggle the Widget icon there to hide it."

Literally every time Microsoft tries this shit, it blows up in their face. Every. Single. Time. You'd think they'd learn. Microsoft needs to stop trying to make Desktop as a Service at home happen because it isn't going to happen for them. Nobody wants to be tied in to a Microsoft ecosystem because, let's face it, their products and services are also-rans to other products and services that people already use and are invested in. Not only that, but they can't even get basic fucking system updates right currently (I'm being generous with "currently"). Why the fuck would anyone trust them with anything as a service?

May 21, 2022, 16:53
Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2022, 16:53
May 21, 2022, 16:53

The ZDNet side by side comparison showing the differences between encrypted storage and unencrypted was eye-opening.
Oh wait, they didn't do that.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older