Play Star Citizen for Free

The promised free fly week is underway for Star Citizen, the crowdfunded game set in space, where no one can hear you ask about a release date. This celebrates Invictus Launch Week 2952, an annual celebration of the game's fictitious military industrial complex. This page is a hub for all the activities, and there's an Invictus Launch Week 2952 FAQ to address any burning questions this might raise. Here's an Invictus Launch Week 2952 Trailer and here are some details:
Invictus Launch Week is an event held the last week of May that marks the beginning of the new recruiting year and the graduation of the latest class of officers and pilots of the United Empire of Earth Navy (UEEN). Though a time to honor those in the Navy and other armed forces for their tireless service to the UEE, aerospace and defense manufacturers across the galaxy also takes the opportunity to showcase their vehicles designed for (or influenced by) the military. It allows everyone to see some of Star Citizen's biggest, best, and most iconic ships up close as different manufacturers take over the expo center halls. Plus, almost everything on display is available to test fly for free!
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Play Star Citizen for Free
May 23, 2022, 20:33
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 23, 2022, 20:33
May 23, 2022, 20:33

If by popular you mean garnering the most posts, you have to remember so many of the posts are simply making fun of the "game" and its "developers"....
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 23, 2022, 20:22
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 23, 2022, 20:22
May 23, 2022, 20:22

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2022, 13:59:
I don't disagree, but an appetite is an appetite and gaming media companies will continue to feed it. For example, SC is the 2nd most popular story on this site currently.

Without seeing the site metrics, its hard to say which is the second most popular story. What we can say is that its the second most commented story. I think its fair to say its the most popular story people want to talk shit about.
--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

May 22, 2022, 14:04
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 22, 2022, 14:04
May 22, 2022, 14:04

Kosumo wrote on May 21, 2022, 22:54:
The way that Chris Roberts as run his "Star Citizen" Kickstarter just proves what a scummy man he is.

It's lies, lies, lies, deception, lies.

Never once in the first few years did he disclose that a founding member of the executive, and 'vice president' of marketing was his wife.

In a publicly traded company, that is illegal.

Then hires his brother!

Wow, if you did not see the writing on the wall way back then, I don't know what to say.
The thing with his wife was bad, but his brother is an accomplished game producer. I actually had hope for SQ42 with him in charge. I think he has left though.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

May 22, 2022, 13:59
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 22, 2022, 13:59
May 22, 2022, 13:59

Tigger wrote on May 21, 2022, 22:16:
jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2022, 13:46:
And yet the 39 comments on this thread suggest an appetite for SC stories, so I don't expect sites to stop reporting on it.

I think its more accurate to say that folks have an appetite to poke fun or sarcasm at SC.
I don't disagree, but an appetite is an appetite and gaming media companies will continue to feed it. For example, SC is the 2nd most popular story on this site currently.

May 22, 2022, 09:09
El Pit

Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 22, 2022, 09:09
May 22, 2022, 09:09
 El Pit

It is a fascinating story about a promise of a new Wing Commander/Privateer that got so successful that it became turned into an MMO that tries to be EVERYTHING and will be using advanced AI (that still has to be written) and an incredible server structure (that still has to be found) and is working on every... single... detail... like melting icecubes and how used towels behave. This IS an interesting story because there is so much Uber Ego in it and an incredible amount of money and faith of people who seem to have big wads of money to waste and a development that will take a century to deliver everything promised and many more things.

It is like White Star Lines nowadays would make big money with a Titanic II kickstarter and then would start to promise that it will not only be a ship for the seas but also a submarine (pun intended) and a space ship and a skyscraper and would also use a big drill to go deep into Earth. And then there would be a small RC ship shown after years as a proof of concept (only the ship for the seas part, though) and White Star Lines would because of incredible hubris start selling ownership of apartments and rooms on this ship and would send the buyers JPGs of those rooms and apartments. It is an incredible story that became real and we all live in the era to witness it. Lucky us.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

May 21, 2022, 22:54
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 22:54
May 21, 2022, 22:54

The way that Chris Roberts as run his "Star Citizen" Kickstarter just proves what a scummy man he is.

It's lies, lies, lies, deception, lies.

Never once in the first few years did he disclose that a founding member of the executive, and 'vice president' of marketing was his wife.

In a publicly traded company, that is illegal.

Then hires his brother!

Wow, if you did not see the writing on the wall way back then, I don't know what to say.

May 21, 2022, 22:16
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 22:16
May 21, 2022, 22:16

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2022, 13:46:
And yet the 39 comments on this thread suggest an appetite for SC stories, so I don't expect sites to stop reporting on it.

I think its more accurate to say that folks have an appetite to poke fun or sarcasm at SC.
--
Tigger

May 21, 2022, 13:46
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 13:46
May 21, 2022, 13:46

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 21, 2022, 13:27:
I almost feel like game news sites should just stop reporting on Star Citizen, at least until they actually release something. I still can't believe it's possible to sell $500 virtual ships, that aren't even designed yet, for a game that isn't released yet. Surely that's some sort of fraud or embezzlement?

May 21, 2022, 13:27
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 13:27
May 21, 2022, 13:27

I almost feel like game news sites should just stop reporting on Star Citizen, at least until they actually release something. I still can't believe it's possible to sell $500 virtual ships, that aren't even designed yet, for a game that isn't released yet. Surely that's some sort of fraud or embezzlement?

May 21, 2022, 11:14
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 11:14
May 21, 2022, 11:14

I don't think it's intentionally a "fraud" or a "scam". Nor is it a way to launder money.

There are easier ways to make millions from a wealthy populous in search of fulfillment, entertainment or comfort.
Examples include but ain't limited to the following:
Sell chopped foam in bags ala mike pillow, start a chain of mega churches, the fyre festival
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

May 21, 2022, 10:29
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 10:29
May 21, 2022, 10:29

Kristian Joensen wrote on May 21, 2022, 04:45:
People keep using words like "fraud" and "scam" in connection with this game and while I can definetly understand having a critical and/or sceptical attitude towards it(I myself do), this is a real game with real gameplay, real art assets, real levels, real features with real artists, designers, programmers etc etc working on it.

I think probably other words such as "mismanagement", "incompetence", "feature creep" or "scope creep" might be more accurate descriptions of what is going on.

I suppose that depends on what you have purchased/pledged. Someone has purchases those big shiny ships and there doesnt seem to be any indication that the larger ones will take form, afterall this game is struggling with the basics, you cant even have a stable enough server with the crew levels stated, never mind a battle with multiple said ships.

Eve level combat this is not. Elite dangerous level stability this is not. NMS has better artwork and thats saying something.

Sure there is a game here but a very shit thin one.

I did cave in and try the free weekend out of pure curiosity, it ran like shite, utter shite on my 9600k 1660ti The same PC that pays ED in VR just fine.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

May 21, 2022, 07:41
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 07:41
May 21, 2022, 07:41

Kristian Joensen wrote on May 21, 2022, 04:45:
People keep using words like "fraud" and "scam" in connection with this game and while I can definetly understand having a critical and/or sceptical attitude towards it(I myself do), this is a real game with real gameplay, real art assets, real levels, real features with real artists, designers, programmers etc etc working on it.

I think probably other words such as "mismanagement", "incompetence", "feature creep" or "scope creep" might be more accurate descriptions of what is going on.
I don't disagree with anything you've said, and have said much the same in the past, but there comes a point with the feature creep that you wonder: is it simply incompetence and poor management, or have they realized that once they "finish" the game, that the donations dry up and the gravy train is over? With some of the ridiculous "features" we've seen lately I'm starting to wonder. What's the temptation to never finish and keep milking people? I suppose even after they release they could keep designing and selling ships, but would people have moved on?

May 21, 2022, 04:45
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 21, 2022, 04:45
May 21, 2022, 04:45

May 20, 2022, 23:47
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 23:47
May 20, 2022, 23:47

Maybe next time show some outer space in your fancy video for your fancy outer space game.

May 20, 2022, 22:59
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 22:59
May 20, 2022, 22:59

Invictus Launch Week is an event held the last week of May that marks the beginning of the new recruiting year

Well at least its honest. They acknowledge/admit they are recruiting new donors.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2022, 10:11.
--
Tigger

May 20, 2022, 22:08
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 22:08
May 20, 2022, 22:08

Wow this is looking very dated now. Not just technically, but the art style is very 2010ish

May 20, 2022, 20:58
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 20:58
May 20, 2022, 20:58

OpticNerve wrote on May 20, 2022, 18:38:
Satoru wrote on May 20, 2022, 18:20:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 20, 2022, 14:08:
They need to play Independence War 2. It has the best Newtonian flight model I have ever experienced while still being fun and approachable. You can either toggle full Newtonian flight or automatic RCS control which would give it a more "arcade" feel for those that want it.

They can't do that because this is 'supposedly' and MMO or whatever Chris has decided to call this train wreck. You can't have one set of people be on 'arcade' while the other half are in 'mega space sim mode'. Everyone has to be on the same flight model. The problem is Chris can't actually decide if he's making Wing Commander, trying ot redo Privateer, or trying to make EVE Online. He makes his team make all these different modes that all clash with eachother. He can't even get a single player version of SQ42 out the door because of the idiotic insistence of 'everything being on teh same code base' despite the fact that they have no 'code base' to start off of because Chris keeps changing his mind about what ever the hell they're making this week.

Star Citizen has a "quasi-newtonian" toggle called Decoupled Mode where your ship's inertia and momentum will continue until you thrust in the opposite direction to slow down and it allows players to do advanced combat/flight tricks. By default the game has IFCS (Intelligent Flight Control System) enabled which makes it more arcadey.

It also allows some pretty funky and impressive stunt flying in certain planets/moons with their varying atmosphere: https://youtu.be/1r7OSXSreF4

Sounds just like what Elite Dangerous did.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

May 20, 2022, 20:05
Kxmode

Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 20:05
May 20, 2022, 20:05
 Kxmode

CIG should avoid putting "Launch" in any promotional names.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

May 20, 2022, 19:18
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 19:18
May 20, 2022, 19:18

I would be less angry at this if the amount of effort they put into the "free fly event" would almost be enough to create and engineer a whole new game. I mean the "Invictus Launch Week 2952" video isn't exactly cheap... effort and time and care went into that. It's SALES. And it reeks of it.

If they simply opened the doors and said "cmon in and check it out" I'd have a bit more respect, but I will now be saying the best quote from this thread: it's another "save the whales" event.

May 20, 2022, 19:08
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 19:08
May 20, 2022, 19:08

Some of that trailer was in-engine, but a lot of it looked prerendered. Or if in-engine, a lot of custom work to make it render ice, lava, etc. Stop wasting resources on crap like this, RSI.
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older