Out of the Blue

As we round into spring, it's renewals and cancellations season at the TV networks. Since MrsBlue and I tend to adopt a weird sitcom or two every year, this always leads to disappointing cancellations and surprise renewals for us. But the news about a show on the bubble we were most eagerly awaiting was not even for a show we watch. It's the good news that ‘Call Me Kat’ (is) Renewed For A Third Season At Fox. As I've mentioned before, Mayim Bialik has ruined Jeopardy in the BlueTower, as MrsBlue refuses to watch episodes she hosts. So the news that her prior commitment continues amid complaints about her leaking answers, accepting incorrect responses, and insulting contestants leave us hopeful that Ken Jennings will get the permanent hosting job once and for all.

Renewed Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken
May 17, 2022, 16:12
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 17, 2022, 16:12
May 17, 2022, 16:12

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 17, 2022, 15:39:
RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2022, 11:37:
I remember as a freshout new hire in '90 at Motorola Oak Hill that more than one person told me you would be canned if you shared your pay or inquired about other peoples salary.
And that was out of the blue with me never talking about what peeps were making.
Or I could be mis-remembering and it came from TI'ers who had job hopped to the new Moto fab.

Either way, that's illegal and a violation of Texas labor law as noted here.
Understood. I was "young" and dumb and Burrito'less back in those days.
I can't recall now whether it came from a coworker or from one of my superiors. I wonder if I've exceeded the statute of limitations because I could sure use the payout.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

May 17, 2022, 15:39
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 17, 2022, 15:39
May 17, 2022, 15:39

RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2022, 11:37:
I remember as a freshout new hire in '90 at Motorola Oak Hill that more than one person told me you would be canned if you shared your pay or inquired about other peoples salary.
And that was out of the blue with me never talking about what peeps were making.
Or I could be mis-remembering and it came from TI'ers who had job hopped to the new Moto fab.

Either way, that's illegal and a violation of Texas labor law as noted here.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Re: 40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry.
May 17, 2022, 15:37
Re: 40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry. May 17, 2022, 15:37
May 17, 2022, 15:37

I had a computer science professor in college who had actually worked as a programmer in an office (instead of being a career academic like most of them), and in his class he really stressed teamwork, team dynamics, specified roles, etc... it was so useful to actually hear about how our job would actually be performed.

May 17, 2022, 11:37
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 17, 2022, 11:37
May 17, 2022, 11:37

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 17, 2022, 11:02:
RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2022, 10:17:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 17, 2022, 09:14:
I'd say it is likely someone recorded it even if the school itself didn't.. If someone finds it on YT, let us know.
There’s a higher probability of it being filmed if it were a commencement ceremony. This sounds more like a talk with members of the industry.
But what do I know, I’m a boomer and came of age before running water and cheap phones that could film 4K 30fps video.
This was not a commencement ceremony. That is...4 days away as of this writing. What I spoke at is what we call our "hand off" meeting where soon-to-be graduates hear from collegiate and corporate speakers.

I did talk to my boss this morning who thought it was both appropriate, honest, and funny. He did say there were some disgruntled people, especially with me encouraging people to discuss their wages and the words "corporate drone".

I highly doubt any of it was filmed.
Burrito of Peace

May 17, 2022, 11:02
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 17, 2022, 11:02
May 17, 2022, 11:02

RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2022, 10:17:
I'd say it is likely someone recorded it even if the school itself didn't.. If someone finds it on YT, let us know.
There’s a higher probability of it being filmed if it were a commencement ceremony. This sounds more like a talk with members of the industry.
But what do I know, I’m a boomer and came of age before running water and cheap phones that could film 4K 30fps video.

This was not a commencement ceremony. That is...4 days away as of this writing. What I spoke at is what we call our "hand off" meeting where soon-to-be graduates hear from collegiate and corporate speakers.

I did talk to my boss this morning who thought it was both appropriate, honest, and funny. He did say there were some disgruntled people, especially with me encouraging people to discuss their wages and the words "corporate drone".

I highly doubt any of it was filmed.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

May 17, 2022, 10:17
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 17, 2022, 10:17
May 17, 2022, 10:17

Burrito of Peace

May 17, 2022, 09:14
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 17, 2022, 09:14
May 17, 2022, 09:14

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 17, 2022, 03:46
Re: 40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry. May 17, 2022, 03:46
May 17, 2022, 03:46

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 16, 2022, 16:21:
*Excellent Burrito Speech*

ROFL, if you actually said that, that's amazing and hilarious! Great work! That's how any speech should be to graduating students, high school and above, honestly.

Hopefully somebody recorded it and put it on youtube. If your employer hassles you for speaking greater truths, shame on them.

May 16, 2022, 22:40
Re: 40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry. May 16, 2022, 22:40
May 16, 2022, 22:40

I guess I'm just in the "I no longer give a fuck" phase of my life. I've slogged through decades of corporate bullshit and it is all bullshit. Everyone is replaceable and everyone is expendable. I look at these young people, most 20-22, and think "Fuck, I wish someone had told me all this when I was their age."

I can't speak for the rest of the world as, barring one exception, almost the entirety of my private career has been here in the States. However, in my experience, you constantly hear phrases such as "productivity management", "bottom line", "team contribution", and the newest I am starting to see is "maximal performance per hour." But it's all buzzword bingo bullshit designed to wring out as much time and energy out of a person while paying them the least amount possible. Then, on top of that, we decided as one of the most sick and perverse jokes of all time to tie people's healthcare to their employment.

So, instead of the useless bullshit, I decided to try and set these folks up for a self-centered life. I don't mean narcissistic. I mean that they are the most important thing in their lives and should act accordingly. Jobs, and companies, come and ago. Bleed a job for the same amount, if not more, as they are bleeding you.

May 16, 2022, 21:40
Re: 40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry. May 16, 2022, 21:40
May 16, 2022, 21:40

bop i would love you to death if you gave that speech in front of me. i hate inane drivel which is what 99% of what all speeches are. useful advice is rare and should be treasured. i'm probably too self-confident i don't need more. i need useful, job specific advice.

May 16, 2022, 18:53
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 16, 2022, 18:53
May 16, 2022, 18:53

Burrito Ovation! Lighter

Speaking of Burritos, damn I'm hungry again! Highfive

As a Drinker of Sex, how can Espresso best serve my needs?
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

Prey
May 16, 2022, 18:41
Prey May 16, 2022, 18:41
May 16, 2022, 18:41

Is that a prequel to Predator, or of the video game of the same name? Which was also a Native American being hunted by aliens.

May 16, 2022, 18:06
Re: 40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry. May 16, 2022, 18:06
May 16, 2022, 18:06

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 16, 2022, 16:21:
This was a serendipitous link today because today I addressed a group of graduates from the CS/IT curriculums. I was one of four speakers and the last to go on. I was picked because I have "real world experience" in the field. I'm not sure I'll have a job next week or, at the very least, be asked to ever speak again.

Everyone else is up there in suits, ties, and gave inspirational speeches about hard work, dedication to a job, and all the usual regurgitated talking points of "productivity". Then I walk up to the lectern and I am wearing a Firefly t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Because, fuck it, it's hotter than Hell outside and not particularly cool in this auditorium, either. Might as well be comfortable.

This is what I said to them:

"I am going to tell you something a little different than the august company I share the stage with this morning. "Productivity" only matters when it serves your own self-interest. Be productive when it garners you something tangible. I stand before you as a greybeard of many decades in this industry. The first thing I want you to take away from this is that awards are meaningless. They aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You can't buy food with an award, you can't pay your mortgage or car payment with an award, and I don't know of any utility company in the nation that accepts awards as payment for keeping the lights on. About the only thing they are good for is using them as a bartering chip for a higher salary.

The second thing I am going to tell you is to only care as much as you are paid to care. Do excellent work within that scope but do not take any additional duties or responsibilities without an additional increase in your salary. If you do, you will be treated like a rented mule. By that I mean whomever you work for can and will exploit you to do more work for what becomes less pay. Remember, a good engineer or developer is a lazy engineer or developer. Be efficient in everything you do and maximize your pay for the least amount of effort possible.

The third thing I am going to tell you is that most of you have a long life ahead of you. Don't wait until you are my age or older to enjoy it. Enjoy it every day. Work only as much as you need to to achieve your goals in the enjoyment of your life. Take every single vacation day and sick day allotted to you every year. Management can't figure out how to plug a hole in a project schedule because of your absence? Not your problem! Managers are paid to manage and that includes the human factor. I should know, I am one. As a manager, take your time and enjoy your life. Burning out doesn't help you either mentally or physically and it sure as Hell doesn't help anyone around you.

Most of you are going to leave this auditorium this morning and go on to a graduation ceremony in five days. When you hit the outside world, and the corporate world, you are likely going to be in debt already due to student loans. You will get your first corporate job and suddenly discover you don't know shit. Let me be the first to tell you, if you don't already know, no one does. Don't panic! Not knowing shit has been a human trait since we first decided to bang rocks and sticks together. It's OK and you're going to be fine. As I said previously, I have been in this field for many decades. I still don't know everything and I never will. That, too, is OK.

Finally, know your worth. Talk to each other about how much you are getting paid for the responsibilities you are expected to undertake. Despite what some corporate drone is going to tell you, it is not illegal to discuss your wages and any attempt on their part to stop you from doing so is illegal. Don't accept seventy cents on the dollar because of your age, your gender, your race, or your domestic situation. Demand, and be paid, the maximum amount of money your skills will bear.

Enjoy your life. You have one shot at it. Don't waste it."
Wow Burrito, thank you. I needed this. Today I had an interview that went less than stellar, got asked some basic questions ("what's a union?") and I struggled to find words (focused on structures as I work with those more), as I thought I was going to be asked more systems related questions. What stings even more is I looked at the definition yesterday and could not recall it. This continues for a few questions, but I manage to find my footing eventually. You're right, an award means nothing. My bachelors just states I can be trained. My resume shouldn't be seen as a hall of fame, it should be a what are you doing lately, as in today. Anything you have listed that you aren't doing recently can and will make you seem fraudulent. If anything, it's a good kick in the ass reminder to keep yourself honest, no matter how draining that can be.

The rest of your points are spot on. It is heating up out there.

May 16, 2022, 17:31
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 16, 2022, 17:31
May 16, 2022, 17:31

Ha! I thought me and my wife were the only people watching Call Me Kat

40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry.
May 16, 2022, 16:21
40 Instantly-Relatable Memes About Work That Might Make You Laugh And Cry. May 16, 2022, 16:21
May 16, 2022, 16:21

This was a serendipitous link today because today I addressed a group of graduates from the CS/IT curriculums. I was one of four speakers and the last to go on. I was picked because I have "real world experience" in the field. I'm not sure I'll have a job next week or, at the very least, be asked to ever speak again.

Everyone else is up there in suits, ties, and gave inspirational speeches about hard work, dedication to a job, and all the usual regurgitated talking points of "productivity". Then I walk up to the lectern and I am wearing a Firefly t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Because, fuck it, it's hotter than Hell outside and not particularly cool in this auditorium, either. Might as well be comfortable.

This is what I said to them:

"I am going to tell you something a little different than the august company I share the stage with this morning. "Productivity" only matters when it serves your own self-interest. Be productive when it garners you something tangible. I stand before you as a greybeard of many decades in this industry. The first thing I want you to take away from this is that awards are meaningless. They aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You can't buy food with an award, you can't pay your mortgage or car payment with an award, and I don't know of any utility company in the nation that accepts awards as payment for keeping the lights on. About the only thing they are good for is using them as a bartering chip for a higher salary.

The second thing I am going to tell you is to only care as much as you are paid to care. Do excellent work within that scope but do not take any additional duties or responsibilities without an additional increase in your salary. If you do, you will be treated like a rented mule. By that I mean whomever you work for can and will exploit you to do more work for what becomes less pay. Remember, a good engineer or developer is a lazy engineer or developer. Be efficient in everything you do and maximize your pay for the least amount of effort possible.

The third thing I am going to tell you is that most of you have a long life ahead of you. Don't wait until you are my age or older to enjoy it. Enjoy it every day. Work only as much as you need to to achieve your goals in the enjoyment of your life. Take every single vacation day and sick day allotted to you every year. Management can't figure out how to plug a hole in a project schedule because of your absence? Not your problem! Managers are paid to manage and that includes the human factor. I should know, I am one. As a manager, take your time and enjoy your life. Burning out doesn't help you either mentally or physically and it sure as Hell doesn't help anyone around you.

Most of you are going to leave this auditorium this morning and go on to a graduation ceremony in five days. When you hit the outside world, and the corporate world, you are likely going to be in debt already due to student loans. You will get your first corporate job and suddenly discover you don't know shit. Let me be the first to tell you, if you don't already know, no one does. Don't panic! Not knowing shit has been a human trait since we first decided to bang rocks and sticks together. It's OK and you're going to be fine. As I said previously, I have been in this field for many decades. I still don't know everything and I never will. That, too, is OK.

Finally, know your worth. Talk to each other about how much you are getting paid for the responsibilities you are expected to undertake. Despite what some corporate drone is going to tell you, it is not illegal to discuss your wages and any attempt on their part to stop you from doing so is illegal. Don't accept seventy cents on the dollar because of your age, your gender, your race, or your domestic situation. Demand, and be paid, the maximum amount of money your skills will bear.

Enjoy your life. You have one shot at it. Don't waste it."

May 16, 2022, 16:06
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 16, 2022, 16:06
May 16, 2022, 16:06

Call me Kat is fucking awful. Watch the British show Miranda that it was based on. That's actually really funny.

Good that doggo found some nice people and got her mom back.

Florida could spawn the next pandemic? Yeah, no surprise there.

Is desalination the future? Yeah, how bout we focus on bringing less people on to this rock instead of drinking its oceans dry.

Prey -
Set in the Comanche Nation 300 years ago, “Prey” is the story of a young woman, Naru, a fierce and highly skilled warrior. She has been raised in the shadow of some of the most legendary hunters who roam the Great Plains, so when danger threatens her camp, she sets out to protect her people. The prey she stalks, and ultimately confronts, turns out to be a highly evolved alien predator with a technically advanced arsenal, resulting in a vicious and terrifying showdown between the two adversaries.

Cool beans. Please don't suck. As long as they don't push any politics and just stick to action I'm fine with a female action role as the lead. MEW was great in Kate. That was a good flick. Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde, La Femme Nikita, et al. all great action films with female leads. Can't wait for Atomic Blonde 2.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. Black, with a side of prune danish." - Gilbert Gottfried

May 16, 2022, 13:14
Re: OotB: Rooting for Ken May 16, 2022, 13:14
May 16, 2022, 13:14

Viral marketing for the toughest air mattress ever made.🐘
Burrito of Peace
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older