CA Lawyer Quits, Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit

Bloomberg reports (may require registration or subscription) that a state of California lawyer has resigned, accusing the governor's office of interfering with the high-profile sexual harassment lawsuit against Activision Blizzard. The story includes a response from a spokesperson for Governor Newsome saying "claims of interference by our office are categorically false," adding that the governor’s office “will continue to support DFEH in their efforts to fight all forms of discrimination and protect Californians." Here's what happened:
The allegation and loss of the top two lawyers on the case raises questions about the fate of the Activision lawsuit, which accuses the Santa Monica, California-based video game publisher of sexual discrimination and misconduct. The case is currently pending in Los Angeles Superior Court. The lawsuit, which detailed Activision’s “frat boy” culture, led to employee walkouts, calls for the chief executive officer to resign, condemnation from its business partners and a stock plunge that culminated in Microsoft Corp.’s agreement earlier this year to purchase the company for $69 billion.

Proctor said in the email to staff that in recent weeks, California Governor Gavin Newsom and his office “began to interfere” with the Activision suit. “The Office of the Governor repeatedly demanded advance notice of litigation strategy and of next steps in the litigation,” Proctor wrote in the email, which was seen by Bloomberg. “As we continued to win in state court, this interference increased, mimicking the interests of Activision’s counsel.”
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: CA Lawyer Quits, Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit
Apr 14, 2022, 17:59
Re: CA Lawyer Quits, Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 17:59
Apr 14, 2022, 17:59

DFEH Ethics Violation with EEOC

Wipper was probably fired for overseeing this ethics violation between the EEOC and the DFEH. This put the whole lawsuit in jeopardy.

Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit
Apr 14, 2022, 15:55
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 15:55
Apr 14, 2022, 15:55

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 14:37:
On the other hand,
“The Office of the Governor repeatedly demanded advance notice of litigation strategy and of next steps in the litigation,” Proctor wrote in the email, which was seen by Bloomberg. “As we continued to win in state court, this interference increased, mimicking the interests of Activision’s counsel.”

Not sure where the "other hand" part comes in. That's pretty much quoting what I said. The Governor's office (i.e. her boss) asked for info on their strategy on the case. The fact that Activition's lawyers happened to request the same info isn't exactly shocking.

Apr 14, 2022, 14:37
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 14:37
Apr 14, 2022, 14:37

Bodolza wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 14:32:
The only reason the Governer was able to fire her in the first place is because he's her boss. Even by her own admission, the "interference" was the Governer's office asking for information about the case. At no point does she claim they were actually asking her to do anything differently.

So, it sounds like her boss asked her for information about what she was working on. She refused to do so, and was fired for it. And now she, and her subordinate are making a big stink about it publicly.

From an LA Times article:
"A former deputy attorney general said the governor’s involvement in the Activision case is not particularly unusual and did not constitute interference.

The agency works in tandem with the governor and attorney general’s offices and must get approval for its lawsuits and legal actions, the former deputy attorney general noted."
On the other hand,
“The Office of the Governor repeatedly demanded advance notice of litigation strategy and of next steps in the litigation,” Proctor wrote in the email, which was seen by Bloomberg. “As we continued to win in state court, this interference increased, mimicking the interests of Activision’s counsel.”
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 14, 2022, 14:35
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 14:35
Apr 14, 2022, 14:35

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 10:48:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 10:06:
Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 08:14:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 13, 2022, 22:46:
I am not saying the governor's office didn't try to interfere, I am just saying it was stupid for the governor's office to even come near this case and the lawyers are doing the right thing by capitalizing on it for their clients. In my admittedly semi-ignorant opinion anyway.
The gov fired the top lawyer for the state's DFEH agency on the case, and the 2nd one resigned. That's for sure interfering somehow with that agency.
Oof, that does look bad. Link? Maybe there was a legitimate reason?
It wasn’t headline making news when it happened. Bloomberg law?

“Melanie Proctor resigned from her position as assistant chief counsel for the state’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing on Wednesday in protest of the governor’s recent firing of her boss, Chief Counsel Janette Wipper.“ latimes that should give you something to Google

Janette Wipper was fired on March 29 in “the midst of her success” in pursuing the case as chief counsel for the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing, said her lawyer, Alexis Ronickher.
WaPo gifted article https://wapo.st/38G4LM6

Activision board member donated $100,000 to Newsom's anti-recall campaign. Politico
That does look bad. I hope she sues. Something doesn't smell right.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 14, 2022, 14:32
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 14:32
Apr 14, 2022, 14:32

The only reason the Governer was able to fire her in the first place is because he's her boss. Even by her own admission, the "interference" was the Governer's office asking for information about the case. At no point does she claim they were actually asking her to do anything differently.

So, it sounds like her boss asked her for information about what she was working on. She refused to do so, and was fired for it. And now she, and her subordinate are making a big stink about it publicly.

From an LA Times article:
"A former deputy attorney general said the governor’s involvement in the Activision case is not particularly unusual and did not constitute interference.

The agency works in tandem with the governor and attorney general’s offices and must get approval for its lawsuits and legal actions, the former deputy attorney general noted."

Apr 14, 2022, 14:31
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 14:31
Apr 14, 2022, 14:31

Benzer wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 10:46:
I don't understand why the 2nd in line person would resign in protest. Just take over the head position and continue to do what the previous person was doing. Do it until you get fired. Resigning is a weak move. If you really cared about the outcome you would stick to it and do what you thought was right. This just looks like you are trying to bail on the situation to make a news story out of nothing.
Recently my company outsourced a large section of the company to India. The C-level execs decided this on their own without consulting anyone on alternative solutions. As a result, large swaths of employees unaffected by the decisions are finding other employment. The trust is lost, and they feel unsupported.

Apr 14, 2022, 13:39
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 13:39
Apr 14, 2022, 13:39

Benzer wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 10:46:
I don't understand why the 2nd in line person would resign in protest. Just take over the head position and continue to do what the previous person was doing. Do it until you get fired. Resigning is a weak move. If you really cared about the outcome you would stick to it and do what you thought was right. This just looks like you are trying to bail on the situation to make a news story out of nothing.

If the fix is in there's no point in continuing. Losing a case is always bad for a lawyer's bottom line. Who said they care about the case? They're hired to do a job. Same as public defenders.

Apr 14, 2022, 11:27
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 11:27
Apr 14, 2022, 11:27

Sounds like the governor is perverting justice. Don't you just love how various officials which have nothing to do with the justice system can put their fingers on the scales of justice.

Apr 14, 2022, 10:48
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 10:48
Apr 14, 2022, 10:48

jdreyer wrote on Apr 14, 2022, 10:06:
I am not saying the governor's office didn't try to interfere, I am just saying it was stupid for the governor's office to even come near this case and the lawyers are doing the right thing by capitalizing on it for their clients. In my admittedly semi-ignorant opinion anyway.
The gov fired the top lawyer for the state's DFEH agency on the case, and the 2nd one resigned. That's for sure interfering somehow with that agency.
It wasn’t headline making news when it happened. Bloomberg law?

“Melanie Proctor resigned from her position as assistant chief counsel for the state’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing on Wednesday in protest of the governor’s recent firing of her boss, Chief Counsel Janette Wipper.“ latimes that should give you something to Google

Janette Wipper was fired on March 29 in “the midst of her success” in pursuing the case as chief counsel for the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing, said her lawyer, Alexis Ronickher.
WaPo gifted article https://wapo.st/38G4LM6

Activision board member donated $100,000 to Newsom's anti-recall campaign. Politico

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2022, 11:15.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Apr 14, 2022, 10:46
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 10:46
Apr 14, 2022, 10:46

Apr 14, 2022, 10:06
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 10:06
Apr 14, 2022, 10:06

Apr 14, 2022, 08:14
Dev
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 08:14
Apr 14, 2022, 08:14
Dev

removed
Apr 14, 2022, 02:49
removed Apr 14, 2022, 02:49
Apr 14, 2022, 02:49

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Apr 14, 2022, 10:04. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)
more sp.

Apr 14, 2022, 01:07
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 14, 2022, 01:07
Apr 14, 2022, 01:07

“will continue to [...] fight all forms of discrimination AND protect Californians [such as Activision Blizzard corporate leadership]."

What a noncommittal response from the office of governor Newsome.

Apr 13, 2022, 22:46
Jivaro

Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 13, 2022, 22:46
Apr 13, 2022, 22:46
 Jivaro

So here is the thing...

Gavin Newsom cheated on his wife and got caught for all of California to see. He has been accused of sexual misconduct multiple times by multiple women. His reputation regarding the opposite sex and how he acts around them is not stellar. If the legal team for the DFEH got so much as a "the weather is good today" letter from the governor's office they were going to make a stink about it so as to help their own case.

Apr 13, 2022, 21:59
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 13, 2022, 21:59
Apr 13, 2022, 21:59

Why was the lawyer alleging interference in the first place.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Apr 13, 2022, 21:02
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 13, 2022, 21:02
Apr 13, 2022, 21:02

Need some punctuation in that headline, Blue. The way it's worded, a lack of one comma leaves it meaning the opposite of what the story is, lol.

Apr 13, 2022, 20:08
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 13, 2022, 20:08
Apr 13, 2022, 20:08

Citizen P wrote on Apr 13, 2022, 19:44:
Interference in a class-action sexual assault case. Including but not limited to the governor's office asking about strategy and direction of the investigation: smarmy.

Ol' Gav on the take or just taking care of his pals for when he's done?

Apr 13, 2022, 19:44
Re: CA Lawyer Quits Alleging Interference in Activision Lawsuit Apr 13, 2022, 19:44
Apr 13, 2022, 19:44

Interference in a class-action sexual assault case. Including but not limited to the governor's office asking about strategy and direction of the investigation: smarmy.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older