Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer

Activision Blizzard Appoints Kristen Hines as Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer. This is the latest effort by the company to repair its reputation for equality and inclusiveness that's been battered by sexual harassment lawsuits and employee outcry. Word is: "Hines will play a crucial role in furthering Activision Blizzard’s commitment to increasing the percentage of women and non-binary people in its workforce by fifty percent over the next five years." Here's part of Hines' take on the job:
“I’m excited to join a company that is prioritizing its commitment to DEI and making progress on the ambitious goals it has set for itself. In an industry with historical underrepresentation, I’m looking forward to leading the company’s efforts to further build a workplace that values transparency, equity, and inclusivity,” said Kristen Hines. “Gaming has amazing potential to connect communities around the world and showcase heroes from all backgrounds. I am looking forward to playing a part in expanding the landscape of talent who brings these compelling experiences to a broad base of players.”
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
Apr 14, 2022, 16:47
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 14, 2022, 16:47
Apr 14, 2022, 16:47

ChaosEngine wrote on Apr 13, 2022, 05:04:
LordSteev wrote on Apr 12, 2022, 22:45:
Well, THAT hire is sure to lead to blockbusters. I swear, people need more REAL hardship in life.

Yeah, that’s the real concern here. Who cares about those people who suffered harassment or even assault? I want to know if activision will make more money

Stop harassing me because you don't share my views. I might have to have a talk with my diversity equality officer.

Apr 14, 2022, 13:00
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 14, 2022, 13:00
Apr 14, 2022, 13:00

Beamer wrote on Apr 13, 2022, 07:12:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 13, 2022, 02:31:

Is he or she (or them) the person in the company who decides that someone best qualified for the job, doesn't get it because their skin is not dark enough, or their genitals are not wierd enough?

No, and that's not really a thing that happens to any meaningful degree.

But, until 2021, resumes sent out with black coded names received far fewer responses than identical ones with white coded names, meaning Brandon got a call back but Jamaal didn't.

That's the problem being solved. Equality of opportunity, not of outcome. Ensuring hiring managers believe Jamaal, or even Karen, can be as good as Thomas, all things being equal. If the belief isn't in the culture of the company, non-white non-males take their experience and abilities to other companies very frequently.

"Hines will play a crucial role in furthering Activision Blizzard’s commitment to increasing the percentage of women and non-binary people in its workforce by fifty percent over the next five years."

Apr 13, 2022, 09:05
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 13, 2022, 09:05
Apr 13, 2022, 09:05

Some of the oh so sure not even amateurs laying down the law, should pay attention to pros like Beamer, BoP, etc instead of mixing their various disgusts and pixie dust inhalings with their rather evident real world ignorance.

Apart from my own triggers, I spent 42 years in HR:
Instead of deriding it, I see that this move is a logic and beneficial one, success depending on the qualities of the new hires and an effective commitment by the company *and* most leaders, down the echelons.

And yes, a no brainer, inclusive hiring for *real talent*, never minding their sex or color (no, no need for disruptive weirdos), and more employee satisfaction and closer knitted teams should produce the right environments for better game making.

Apr 13, 2022, 07:12
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 13, 2022, 07:12
Apr 13, 2022, 07:12

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 13, 2022, 02:31:

Is he or she (or them) the person in the company who decides that someone best qualified for the job, doesn't get it because their skin is not dark enough, or their genitals are not wierd enough?

No, and that's not really a thing that happens to any meaningful degree.

But, until 2021, resumes sent out with black coded names received far fewer responses than identical ones with white coded names, meaning Brandon got a call back but Jamaal didn't.

That's the problem being solved. Equality of opportunity, not of outcome. Ensuring hiring managers believe Jamaal, or even Karen, can be as good as Thomas, all things being equal. If the belief isn't in the culture of the company, non-white non-males take their experience and abilities to other companies very frequently.

Apr 13, 2022, 06:39
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 13, 2022, 06:39
Apr 13, 2022, 06:39

I am all for gender and racial equality, but sexual preference, NOPE.

If you can't get off unless your partner has green hair, earlobe plugs, and bizarre tatoos, well that is your taste, and taste is subjective and open to ridicule and rejection. I don't care what gets you off, but don't expect me or the law to protect you from someone does enough to insult you. If you paint your house like a zebra, I don't mind, but I also don't' care if others picket your house for being an eyesore.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Apr 13, 2022, 05:04
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 13, 2022, 05:04
Apr 13, 2022, 05:04

LordSteev wrote on Apr 12, 2022, 22:45:
Well, THAT hire is sure to lead to blockbusters. I swear, people need more REAL hardship in life.

Yeah, that’s the real concern here. Who cares about those people who suffered harassment or even assault? I want to know if activision will make more money

Apr 13, 2022, 02:31
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 13, 2022, 02:31
Apr 13, 2022, 02:31

So....what exactly does a Chief Divesity, Equity and Inclusion Officer do? Am I right in assuming that since there are Chief officers, that there are lesser "ranks" of this title in said company?

Affirmative action doesn't work. Look at South Africa as an example.

What I'm really interested in is whether "Equity" is going to be considering the financial background of a potential employee. Say someone is poor, will that be an incentive for the company to hire that person over someone from a more affluent background? That is the only kind of affirmative action that I could get behind.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2022, 04:35.

Apr 12, 2022, 22:45
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 22:45
Apr 12, 2022, 22:45

Apr 12, 2022, 21:35
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 21:35
Apr 12, 2022, 21:35

SMITE wrote on Apr 12, 2022, 19:18:
Hardline Mike wrote on Apr 12, 2022, 17:43:
SMITE wrote on Apr 12, 2022, 17:20:
Can you actually quote anyone in this thread parroting anything even remotely like what you describe?

This isn't a big forum. We see the same group of people in every thread about diversity saying the same cryptoracist shit, among other things. Maybe they haven't made it here yet, but they will.

You're right though, it's true that people should care more about results. But I think you are painting with too broad a brush. Simply hiring a diversity and inclusion person doesn't imply any single approach to solving issues of lacking diversity..

I resent the reasonableness with which you have responded. Doesn't leave me much to push back on, since your points are fair enough. But I will quibble with the idea that any large company hires a DEI "person." These are entire departments now--on some colleges there are more emps in the DEI divisions than there are actual teaching staff. Activision's new DEI officer is hardly going to be a one person army, rather, they will have the power to hire plenty of others, and will have many other DEI reps working under them. It's a full-fledged industry unto its own now. Like the legal division.

First, this isn't about "training," so stop with that. I'm assuming you don't work for a F500 company and don't know how they operate.

Second, to assume training doesn't help anything is a bit wrongheaded. Go into a major corporation that spends time on HR training. The employees will treat each other very differently than a smaller company that doesn't. The culture doesn't allow it.

Third, your fears of this becoming an entire department is, again, showing your lack of experience. This will be like a Chief Digital Officer. A CDO was once a hot title, but you rarely see them anymore. Why? They're not needed. They were needed to start a change, but aren't once the change occurs. See, making people shift how they operate, when those people have day jobs, is hard. They don't much have time, so anything that is hard at first gets ignored. Back in 2015, that was digital marketing. It was new. It required new skills, new partners, new knowledge. Busy people didn't feel they had time for that. So a CDO came in and mandated it. It needed a big title to be listens to. After 2 or 3 years, digital is part of the culture, the CDO moves to a new role, and isn't backfilled. The change occured. That's the point of a Chief Diversity Officer.

Lastly, this is for the employees. It's something they ask for. That leadership is overwhelmingly white and male at nearly every company is well known. More junior employees that aren't white and male frequently find this discouraging. In fact, it's become an exceptionally common exit interview point. People are literally leaving jobs to go to a place they feel management better represents them, and therefore their opportunities are likely greater. So this is to combat that. It's to improve morale and keep talent. No one ever seems to get this. Again, I know a few people here have been senior management at large corporations, but not many, and the assumptions those that haven't frequently make is often really embarrassing

Apr 12, 2022, 20:25
Enahs

Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 20:25
Apr 12, 2022, 20:25
 Enahs

Will she only have the power to do the things most companies do like a once or twice a year mandatory training, send out emails, and promote things like pride month, etc? Because those are the standard things that companies seem to do to say they are trying to be inclusive. Is she going to have the power to, ya know, actually have disciplinary actions on people whom are jackholes?
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Apr 12, 2022, 19:18
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 19:18
Apr 12, 2022, 19:18

Can you actually quote anyone in this thread parroting anything even remotely like what you describe?

This isn't a big forum. We see the same group of people in every thread about diversity saying the same cryptoracist shit, among other things. Maybe they haven't made it here yet, but they will.

You're right though, it's true that people should care more about results. But I think you are painting with too broad a brush. Simply hiring a diversity and inclusion person doesn't imply any single approach to solving issues of lacking diversity..

I resent the reasonableness with which you have responded. Doesn't leave me much to push back on, since your points are fair enough. But I will quibble with the idea that any large company hires a DEI "person." These are entire departments now--on some colleges there are more emps in the DEI divisions than there are actual teaching staff. Activision's new DEI officer is hardly going to be a one person army, rather, they will have the power to hire plenty of others, and will have many other DEI reps working under them. It's a full-fledged industry unto its own now. Like the legal division.

removed
Apr 12, 2022, 19:01
removed Apr 12, 2022, 19:01
Apr 12, 2022, 19:01

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Apr 12, 2022, 19:13. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 12, 2022, 18:21
Jim
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 18:21
Apr 12, 2022, 18:21
Jim

People are welcome to be harassing racist homophobes all they want in their personal life,,, and nobody in the workplace need ever know. The problem happens when people bring that into the workplace, or just as bad, post stupid social media stuf where the same page identifies them as an employee of xxx. Or dumber is to abuse people in public and get it caught on tiktok or something. .Another sure way to get fired. But IMO no great loss, somebody lacking common sense is probably not the brightest employee. Anyway I suspect the main intent of this will be for harassment training, something we regularly do in my company.

Apr 12, 2022, 18:03
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 18:03
Apr 12, 2022, 18:03

Surely there's some approach that works, otherwise every company would be nothing but white men, yet that's not the case for many companies in game dev these days.

That wasn't true even when I worked in game development more than a decade ago. If anything, game development attracted more of a variety of people due to its inherently more liberal atmosphere than places like IBM, Dell, and other tech oriented spaces around Austin.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 12, 2022, 17:43
NKD
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 17:43
Apr 12, 2022, 17:43
NKD

You're right though, it's true that people should care more about results. But I think you are painting with too broad a brush. Simply hiring a diversity and inclusion person doesn't imply any single approach to solving issues of lacking diversity. Surely there's some approach that works, otherwise every company would be nothing but white men, yet that's not the case for many companies in game dev these days.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Apr 12, 2022, 17:20
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 17:20
Apr 12, 2022, 17:20

WannaLogAlready wrote on Apr 12, 2022, 16:27:
Automatically, the eternally persecuted and maligned ones dumbly parrot that it is a waste of time or too much unfair attention for those of other sex, color, or sexual preference.

I'm completely opposed to anyone being persecuted on the basis on skin color, sex, or sexual preference. The problem, once again, is that there is no evidence that DEI training does anything whatsoever to alleviate any of those issues, and some evidence that it actually makes them worse.

Now if you really care about combatting persecution, it should matter to you whether or not the solutions being offered actually work or not.

But you have absolutely no idea whether they work. No idea at all. You have no evidence in favor of the effectiveness of DEI programs. None. Which to me, indicates that you don't actually care whether they work or not. They sound good, they invoke the right slogans, and that's enough for you.

Your narrative, is what you really care about, the narrative wherein you are the good guy, and anyone who disagrees with you is one of the bad people, and that's about as deep as it gets.

Apr 12, 2022, 16:50
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 16:50
Apr 12, 2022, 16:50

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Hiring Notes:
Man - an adult male who fulfills a role for society with unique traits
Woman - an adult female who fulfills a role for society with unique traits
Lesbian - female into same sex
Bisexual - male/female into same or opposite sex
Gay - male into same sex
Trans - an individual who presents as the opposite sex
Queer - questioning their role
Non-Binary - an individual who goes their own way
Ally - a friend of LGBTQ people
+ - everything not listed

Did I get it all and do I get a prize?

On a more serious note, everyone should try to be chill with the people they work with. Unless you're cool with people and they know a joke isn't harassment, don't do it. Hope Activision makes better games.

Apr 12, 2022, 16:27
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 16:27
Apr 12, 2022, 16:27

Seems fine to me.
Long time abuses and strifes festering were unconvered, and nobody can deny it.
The company reasonably hires professionals to overcome the causes and prevent repeated problems.

Automatically, the eternally persecuted and maligned ones dumbly parrot that it is a waste of time or too much unfair attention for those of other sex, color, or sexual preference.

In reality, they think it means less opportunities for poor, poor them.
Where is the country going to my gosh ?.
Well, to the dogs, with ever growing inequalities and explotation not seen in any other 1st world country. And it comes directly from the leaders they blindly vote, because they pander to their rights.

The likes of them treating compatriots almost like mortal enemies, traitors, even calling them ... dare I ? Socialists, ajj, no, worse, *communists*, brrr. There.

Apr 12, 2022, 16:08
NKD
Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 16:08
NKD

In a world where you need to hire an employee whose job it is to make sure your other employees aren't being racists, or sexist Cosby worshippers....
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Re: Activision Adds Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer Apr 12, 2022, 16:08

Oh god yet another big company bows to the insanity
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older