18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Quoteworthy
Jan 31, 2022, 15:18
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 31, 2022, 15:18
Jan 31, 2022, 15:18

The only real concern I have about this stuff is the possibility of it grabbing enough of a foothold that it never goes away. Or in a worse case scenario it become required for some "normal" activity. I'm hoping I'll live long enough to see it all collapse into nothingness, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 31, 2022, 14:29
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 31, 2022, 14:29
Jan 31, 2022, 14:29

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 31, 2022, 11:47:
Additionally, I find the idea that the mortgage market scam/crash being the seed which grew into crypto and NFTs very interesting. It is almost certainly true at some level, although it is not clear to me how much "credit" that bubble should get for this one.

More notable,
2 more reads
Tante.cc - the most notable IT person in Germany - https://tante.cc/2022/01/11/the-legacy-of-nfts/
The creator of Signal thinks it's total insecure garbage - https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

All good for nurturing a depression

It's clear NFTs in games need to be fought with everything, blood, gore and downvote and review bomb campaigns. If we let this normalize in games (mobile sector first...) then there will not be a SINGLE game on the market that is made to have fun with. "Don't let that happen" is imo the thing a person with gaming as hobby should proclaim and act towards.

There is actually even more about it, web3 and NFTs are linked, this why https://web3isgoinggreat.com/ is named how it is.

Jan 31, 2022, 11:47
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 31, 2022, 11:47
Jan 31, 2022, 11:47

Additionally, I find the idea that the mortgage market scam/crash being the seed which grew into crypto and NFTs very interesting. It is almost certainly true at some level, although it is not clear to me how much "credit" that bubble should get for this one.

Jan 31, 2022, 09:34
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 31, 2022, 09:34
Jan 31, 2022, 09:34

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 31, 2022, 04:17:
If you want to really learn about NFT's, you need time and interest
And basically watch this - you can skip chapters if you already know what everything is.. but if you don't, you really should not.
"Line Goes Up" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g
An interesting watch. I like his example explanation of what an NFT is using his copy of a book. While I understood the concept already, I thought it was a good way to explain the idea to someone who might not already have a grasp of the concept.

Unfortunately I doubt his effort will keep a single sucker from buying crypto and/or a NFT. They simply won't watch it and even if they did, they would dismiss him as a hater.

Jan 31, 2022, 04:17
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 31, 2022, 04:17
Jan 31, 2022, 04:17

selection7 wrote on Jan 30, 2022, 15:23:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 30, 2022, 14:38:
selection7 wrote on Jan 30, 2022, 13:57:
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not looking to debate the merits of NFTs. You don't even have to tell me why you don't think the NFTs are what Ubisoft says they are. I'm just looking for those who are complaining about it to plainly state exactly what their problem is with it. I don't think they realize it's not clear at all.
First of all, I realize I can't keep idiots from wasting their money. Anyone who would buy Ubisoft NFTs is likely to find something just as stupid to spend their money on if Ubisoft does a 180 and never creates NFTs. Second, at some level, NFTs in games certainly aren't much worse than selling cosmetics for your character. And I don't have any particular issue with game cosmetics, I'll even confess to having bought some (ship paint jobs in E:D).

So, what's the problem? The problem is the representation this could be some kind of way for the gamers to make money. I feel this is disingenuous, at best. At worst it is a borderline criminal scam on their customers. It is nothing more than an attempt to con their customers. I object to people being conned.
Thanks, got it. It's true the only people I've heard talking about personally buying NFTs (some sports radio hosts in their 20s) were doing so speculatively, i.e., to make money. So I was aware of that angle, but NFTs are typically presented as something frivolous but apparently still 'cool' to the right kind of buyer (like Steam digital trading cards/badges). So I was confused why anyone would be up in arms about it. Going forward, I'll keep the speculative nature of NFTs more in mind when I'm reading about the subject.

If you want to really learn about NFT's, you need time and interest
And basically watch this - you can skip chapters if you already know what everything is.. but if you don't, you really should not.
"Line Goes Up" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

To be clear, the issue I and any other gamer has with this is that Ubisoft is extremely scummy when it says this benefits the player. pay to earn exists ONLY to benefit the pit-boss (investor/publisher) whoever controls the finance part. The moment you have a game with RMT that uses NFT's and crypto-currencies you invite the *worst* kind of people to be dominant in that, the easily abused poor from 3rd world countries who are all working under a pitlord. Funnily steam is not a problem because that is a platform wide trading card system which gamifies game playing and ownership and gives people who invest some time note: not money a way to get a few store credits, which is obviously a good idea for a gaming platform.

There was even a game that had this as topic in one of the first investigations (GameDec) where it got to the point that people thought they were working when in reality they were literally slaves inside an game, they got in-game items, but pit-boss got real money out of it without telling, and who were the workers? Homeless kids.

And that's the kind of dystopia these 2 money bags and the crypto-bros want apparently.

Also if you are curious about the news on NFT's well there is always https://web3isgoinggreat.com/ put Tech to NFT and have a laugh.. or a cry.. whatever happens it will not make you think NFT's are a good idea.

Anyway, me personally, I am ultra-against NFT's but that's just me.. I think when companies speak about NFT's who they really speak to are the money bags in the background who get all golden from just the mention.

Also this is the last time I post this much about NFT's I am just gonna be limiting myself to snarky 1 liners in the future.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2022, 04:33.

Jan 30, 2022, 15:52
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 30, 2022, 15:52
Jan 30, 2022, 15:52

I do know of a way I could change my mind about Ubisoft's NFTs in games ideas. If Ubisoft never received any money for the NFTs -- either directly or through commissions on sales on some kind of exchange (which I assume they would build). If they were just available in the game without additional cost. What do you figure the chance of that is?

Jan 30, 2022, 15:23
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 30, 2022, 15:23
Jan 30, 2022, 15:23

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 30, 2022, 14:38:
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not looking to debate the merits of NFTs. You don't even have to tell me why you don't think the NFTs are what Ubisoft says they are. I'm just looking for those who are complaining about it to plainly state exactly what their problem is with it. I don't think they realize it's not clear at all.
First of all, I realize I can't keep idiots from wasting their money. Anyone who would buy Ubisoft NFTs is likely to find something just as stupid to spend their money on if Ubisoft does a 180 and never creates NFTs. Second, at some level, NFTs in games certainly aren't much worse than selling cosmetics for your character. And I don't have any particular issue with game cosmetics, I'll even confess to having bought some (ship paint jobs in E:D).

So, what's the problem? The problem is the representation this could be some kind of way for the gamers to make money. I feel this is disingenuous, at best. At worst it is a borderline criminal scam on their customers. It is nothing more than an attempt to con their customers. I object to people being conned.
Thanks, got it. It's true the only people I've heard talking about personally buying NFTs (some sports radio hosts in their 20s) were doing so speculatively, i.e., to make money. So I was aware of that angle, but NFTs are typically presented as something frivolous but apparently still 'cool' to the right kind of buyer (like Steam digital trading cards/badges). So I was confused why anyone would be up in arms about it. Going forward, I'll keep the speculative nature of NFTs more in mind when I'm reading about the subject.

Jan 30, 2022, 14:38
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 30, 2022, 14:38
Jan 30, 2022, 14:38

Jan 30, 2022, 13:57
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 30, 2022, 13:57
Jan 30, 2022, 13:57

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 29, 2022, 17:31:
While it might be true that, "A fool and his money are soon parted" -- that doesn't mean we should be on board for systematic ways of doing it. Are you good with the clown who sells "Miracle Water"?
So that's a "yes" to my question if the outrage is entirely based on protecting those who are foolish or uninformed? Because you also imply the NFTs are "Miracle Water" that are not what they're purported to be. As you read in my original post, I can't see that Ubisofts NFTs aren't exactly what they say they are, so I also need you to confirm that's another complaint. Don't just imply it.
To summarize, confirm that the source of the anti-NFT crowd's complaint is only a) altruistically looking out for the foolish/uninformed, and b) misleading about what they are selling. If there is a c), then say that too.

Jan 29, 2022, 17:31
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 29, 2022, 17:31
Jan 29, 2022, 17:31

While it might be true that, "A fool and his money are soon parted" -- that doesn't mean we should be on board for systematic ways of doing it. Are you good with the clown who sells "Miracle Water"?

Jan 29, 2022, 13:48
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 29, 2022, 13:48
Jan 29, 2022, 13:48

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 28, 2022, 12:26:
Oh we get it, it's another money making scheme for the rich to get richer on the back of players, by implementing features that by their very nature turn a game from something you play for fun, to something you play for earning money while the actual pitboss makes the actual money (here, Ubisoft Investors). And those games can go fuck themselves so hard that they come out of the other end of a black hole in the Gamma Quadrant.

Also it takes a special kind of mindset to think that we, Gamers, who live and breath the bleeding edge of technology, "don't get" new technology. Lmao. If there were anything about NFT's that weren't a pyramid scam maybe more people who aren't crypto-bros would support it.
I don't know much about this, which may be why I don't understand why you (and others like you) care. My 'first take' is that I'll never buy an NFT, so it makes no difference to me. To the people who do, no one is forcing them, and they get to decide for themselves how they want to spend their money. Neither you nor I have any say in it. If buying an NFT makes them happy, more power to them. Presumably, it makes the gaming business more profitable at no cost to me.

Is it that you think Ubisoft is taking advantage of foolish people or people with gambling addictions? You used the term "pyramid scam". One other post on this thread seems to be suggesting Ubisoft is offering something that is not what they say it is. But I found that same post too confusing to follow, and it's not otherwise clear to me that Ubisoft isn't being transparent about what they're selling. And it doesn't seem that any of the people complaining think the NFTs are actually going to hurt their own selves.

Jan 29, 2022, 06:52
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 29, 2022, 06:52
Jan 29, 2022, 06:52

"The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they're finished with them or they're finished playing the game itself."

These suits have no clue about how they operate their games. Just about every online multiplayer game running has multiple mechanisms in place to prevent players from trading valuable in game items.

* No drop - soul bound - account bound, the list goes on
* nerfing any way to efficiently farm in game gold
* These are the guys that are pushing games as a service, which translates to renting game content, not buying it. You can't sell something you rent.
* most online games have TOS that prohibit the sale of accounts

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Jan 28, 2022, 20:05
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 28, 2022, 20:05
Jan 28, 2022, 20:05

The more they keep spinning the more shit flies up. How about a cogent example of how Quartz is going to be better for gamers. All we get (so far) are vague promises and self serving crap that "they're doing this for us".

Honestly ubisoft, I got a couple of Digits for you Middlefinger

Jan 28, 2022, 18:27
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 28, 2022, 18:27
Jan 28, 2022, 18:27

And those games can go fuck themselves so hard that they come out of the other end of a black hole in the Gamma Quadrant.

Now that is a serious self-rogering.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jan 28, 2022, 15:48
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 28, 2022, 15:48
Jan 28, 2022, 15:48

Oh we get it alright. It is just we are calling bullshit on this particular brand of screw the customer and get as much as his money as possible...

Jan 28, 2022, 14:38
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 28, 2022, 14:38
Jan 28, 2022, 14:38

No Ubi, you don't get it, we understand all to well what this No Fking Thanks bullshit is. Just another money making scheme for you to drive up your profits at our expense.

Unbelievable that they really don't understand that we don't want this shit in our games.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jan 28, 2022, 12:51
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 28, 2022, 12:51
Jan 28, 2022, 12:51

Oh we get it, it's another money making scheme for the rich to get richer on the back of players, by implementing features that by their very nature turn a game from something you play for fun, to something you play for earning money while the actual pitboss makes the actual money (here, Ubisoft Investors). And those games can go fuck themselves so hard that they come out of the other end of a black hole in the Gamma Quadrant.

Also it takes a special kind of mindset to think that we, Gamers, who live and breath the bleeding edge of technology, "don't get" new technology. Lmao. If there were anything about NFT's that weren't a pyramid scam maybe more people who aren't crypto-bros would support it.
NFTs are only as valuable as people are willing to pay. Only Ubisoft investors will get any value out of them, to the rest of us NFTs are completely worthless snake oil.

Jan 28, 2022, 12:26
Re: Quoteworthy Jan 28, 2022, 12:26
Jan 28, 2022, 12:26

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older