8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Jan 23, 2022, 22:56
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 22:56
Jan 23, 2022, 22:56

I had one of the Aeron chairs and hated it. The back webbing/mesh gave too much for my taste. Gave it to my wife who loved it and I picked up a AKRacing Masters Series Max that I love. The neck and lumbar support pillows are awesome and I sit in this thing for way too many hours a day yet still remain comfortable.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jan 23, 2022, 22:25
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 22:25
Jan 23, 2022, 22:25

Fucking LOVE my Herman Miller Aeron. Best chair I've ever owned. Well worth the price, especially considering I got a smoking deal on one.

I also have a Steelcase Think. It's relatively comfortable, but the thing started falling apart. The metal spring things going across the back snapped in several places. I had to take the thing apart and rearrange the wires so that it still provided some support. $700 is way overpriced. I wouldn't buy another Steelcase chair.

Jan 23, 2022, 20:51
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 20:51
Jan 23, 2022, 20:51

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2022, 20:47:
Any one consider a standing desk as a solution? No chair needed!
One of my sisters uses one at work, definitely not a consideration for me. Too damn lazy.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 23, 2022, 20:47
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 20:47
Jan 23, 2022, 20:47

Any one consider a standing desk as a solution? No chair needed!
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jan 23, 2022, 18:27
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 18:27
Jan 23, 2022, 18:27

My wife got me a Steelcase Gesture last year, and it's probably one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. It replaced another Steelcase chair that I got at a thrift store for $5 used about 15 years ago, and I got that one because it was exactly the same as the office chair I had at work at the time (at a call center, since the article uses that as a slam). I finally wore out an armrest after about 14 years, and replaced one of the wheels a while back for about $5.

The thing about those office chairs is that they're designed to last under heavy use, and to be comfortable for long periods of time. My wife bought her Steelcase from the business we worked at 22 years ago when they closed and laid us off, still uses it every day, and it still looks new.

Those gaudy gaming chairs are plastic gimmicky shit and don't last more than a year or two at most. Chairs are like shoes, you don't know what you're missing until you spend more and get some good ones that are well made and will actually last. You can usually find used office equipment somewhere at any given time, and those Herman Millers or Steelcases are just as good used...or worst case, just replace a part or two and they're good as new.

Jan 23, 2022, 17:56
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2022, 17:56
Jan 23, 2022, 17:56

Every time I sit in the 12 plus year old freebie Herman Miller Ergon i was lucky enough to snagg is a wonderful experience.
If cheap chairs used the amount and type of cushion that this chair has they too would be freaking awesome.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Re: I'm not buying a Herman Miller...
Jan 23, 2022, 17:18
Re: I'm not buying a Herman Miller... Jan 23, 2022, 17:18
Jan 23, 2022, 17:18

I have two Secret Lab Titans and they are the most comfortable computer chair I have ever sat in. I have tried even pricier "big and tall" chairs meant long hours of office work, and they die within a year or two. My one Titan is now over 4 years old and still going strong. No sciatic pain, no lower back pain.

I do have a Noblechairs one as well. Stupid me, I thought it looked very similar to the Titan and it had an Elder Scrolls design. It is not nearly as comfortable, and the bottom really presses into my legs after a while.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

I'm not buying a Herman Miller...
Jan 23, 2022, 13:43
I'm not buying a Herman Miller... Jan 23, 2022, 13:43
Jan 23, 2022, 13:43

Not sure if I posted this here before, but I was tempted to buy a Herman Miller Aeron last year. I can afford it, and I spend a lot of time in my office chair. I have bought premium chairs in the past. My last chair was a $500 Serta iComfort which served me well for 5 years until the pedestal cracked. Before that was an $800 high end office chair that I got used from a client in trade for service. Nice chair that lasted me 7 years. Actually still working - I gave it to my wife after replacing the hydraulic cylinder.

Still, Aeron chairs are crazy expensive. Prices from reputable dealers are close to $1400 for the large model (I'm 6 foor 4 inches, 240 pounds, and I kill mere mortal chairs). Yes you can find them cheaper from less reputable sellers, but my research indicates these are usually improperly labelled refurbished chairs - so beware.

Again, I can afford it, and my comfort is important to me. I have actually used an Aeron chair at a pricey hotel I stayed at once, so I knew they were comfortable. But the price still stung.

I started researching for an alternative and came across the Office Depot WorkPro Quantum 9000 (sounds like a quantum computer, doesn't it?). You often see online reviews and Youtube videos nicknaming this chair as the "Aeron Junior", and it has excellent reviews, including from a couple of close personal friends. So I decided to take a chance.

It's normally $450 but as luck would have it, when I went to the store to pick one up in March last year, it was on sale for $370. I figured it was worth it, even if it only lasted a few years, and then I could revisit buying a real Aeron.

After a year, I must say I'm very happy with it. I am prone to mild sciatica, and the chair feels wonderful. it's comparable to my experience with a real Aeron. I easily spend 8+ hours a day in this chair. The question is will it hold up over time? My size and weight eventually kill any chair as most chairs are rated for 250 pounds (this chair is rated for 275). So far, I can recommend it.

Office Depot link: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Mesh-Series-Ergonomic/

Oh, and yeah, gaming chairs suck. My Sams Club, for some reason, has a variety of them available with floor models. Some of the bigger brand names. I've sat in them. There is nothing at all comfortable about them,

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2022, 01:00.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older