Activision Blizzard Firings

A report on the Wall Street Journal (may require registration or subscription) has the latest fallout from the sexual harassment scandal at Activision Blizzard that has inspired a couple of lawsuits and other issues for the gaming giant. The WSJ says that the company has received over 700 reports of workplace misconduct since July, a figure that Activision Blizzard challenges. It also says there have been firings and disciplinary actions that have not been announced. Reportedly Bobby Kotick wanted to suppress this news, apparently thinking that appearing to address the problem would be a bad look:
Activision Blizzard Inc. has fired or pushed out more than three dozen employees and disciplined about 40 others since July as part of efforts to address allegations of sexual harassment and other misconduct at the videogame giant, according to people familiar with the situation.

A summary of those personnel actions was scheduled to be released by Activision before the winter holidays, but Chief Executive Bobby Kotick held it back, telling some people it could make the company’s workplace problems seem bigger than is already known, the people familiar with the situation said.
View : : :
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Activision Blizzard Firings
Jan 19, 2022, 18:06
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 19, 2022, 18:06
Jan 19, 2022, 18:06

Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 21:16:
You silly "this doesn't happen in Europe" people are aware that the Ubisoft sexual harassment scandal occurred in Europe as well right?
That the Paris headquarters were described by employees as being like a "fraternity house", etc.
We shouldn't be surprised. It's right in the French national motto: liberté, égalité, fraternité
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jan 19, 2022, 03:56
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 19, 2022, 03:56
Jan 19, 2022, 03:56

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 19, 2022, 03:44:
There's over 330 million people in the United States. I can see how meeting some on a drunken tour and watching an episode of Dr Phil gives you a complete understanding of all of them.
You're unfucking believable.

Like I said, it's all anecdotal, but it was something that looked like an obvious difference between the cultures. We don't test all our observations against facts. Terribly sorry. But it's also why we don't claim certainty.

I notice you are dodging the question to explain yourself with regards to the insult, btw. But that's kind of your thang.
Currently playing: House of Ashes, V Rising, Evil Dead: The Game, Far Cry 6 (retry), Sea of Thieves, Ragnarock, Beat Saber

Jan 19, 2022, 03:44
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 19, 2022, 03:44
Jan 19, 2022, 03:44

With over 320 million people in the United States I can see how meeting a few on a drunken tour while watching Dr Phil gives you a complete understanding. You're unfucking believable.

As for the ex, she's swell. She had some choice words for you but aren't fit for print. But what's even funnier, she lived in the Netherlands.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2022, 04:02.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jan 19, 2022, 03:09
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 19, 2022, 03:09
Jan 19, 2022, 03:09

You silly "this doesn't happen in Europe" people are aware that the Ubisoft sexual harassment scandal occurred in Europe as well right?
That the Paris headquarters were described by employees as being like a "fraternity house", etc.

I didn't want to imply that "this doesn't happen in Europe" at all! I doubt RogueSix was either. In my time in the states I have met way more couples where the woman has this kind of "reverence" toward her man that I almost never witness in The Netherlands, though. So in multiple aspects I know very well where RogueSix is coming from. It's all anecdotal, of course, but if I would dig into the numbers I wonder if there's something there or not.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 21:21:
Are you using facts and logic again. Seph, shame on you.
I read some of these posts to my ex and the first thing she said was misogynists never change. They all sound like a broken record.

Your ex and you sound perfect for eachother. You should get back together and start a label factory.

Misogynists, you say, based on what we Europeans said. Explain.
Currently playing: House of Ashes, V Rising, Evil Dead: The Game, Far Cry 6 (retry), Sea of Thieves, Ragnarock, Beat Saber

Jan 18, 2022, 21:21
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 21:21
Jan 18, 2022, 21:21

Are you using facts and logic again. Seph, shame on you.
I read some of these posts to my ex and the first thing she said was misogynists never change. They all sound like a broken record.
Burrito of Peace

Jan 18, 2022, 21:16
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 21:16
Jan 18, 2022, 21:16

Jan 18, 2022, 14:17
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 14:17
Jan 18, 2022, 14:17

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 14:07:
Mysogonyst has entered the thread.
Or "I learned everything by watching reality TV." fml

Like you'd run if a woman starts punching you in the face 🤣

Jan 18, 2022, 14:07
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 14:07
Jan 18, 2022, 14:07

Mysogonyst has entered the thread.
Or "I learned everything by watching reality TV." fml
Burrito of Peace

Jan 18, 2022, 13:54
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 13:54
Jan 18, 2022, 13:54

RogueSix wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 13:03:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 12:36:
I agree with you at some level RogueSix, it boggles the mind. But then this is a country where Trump did well with suburban women voters despite all the accusations against him and stupid things he has said about women. It is as if the corporate world got stuck in the 1940s and no one noticed until the last decade. It would seem the "old boy network" reaches well past the executive level.

Yeah, and it's not just Actiblizz but also some other gaming companies like Riot etc. - As an Old Worlder, I just don't get it. Where are all these presumably young(?) women coming from and why are they so easily becoming victims in today's world? Over here anything on the scale of Actiblizz, Riot etc. would end up in a bunch of dickless men. It'd be a sausage massacre!

Whehe this is so true, and thanks for representing Europe like this

I had the ill fortune of landing on the Dr. Phill channel a while back. There was a woman physically abusing her man and he always retaliated physically. I think there's not many European women who'd expect otherwise. Give a punch, expect one in return. Yet Dr. Phill told the guy he could NEVER retaliate and instead run. "If she runs faster, you run away harder" it was cringy AF. It was the bigotry of low expectations veiled in slimey chivalry.

Sometimes, it seems men and women in Europe are more equal in every way. Naturally, I am not talking about less developed countries and regions in Turkey but more of the western culture of said Old World.

Jan 18, 2022, 13:03
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 13:03
Jan 18, 2022, 13:03

I agree with you at some level RogueSix, it boggles the mind. But then this is a country where Trump did well with suburban women voters despite all the accusations against him and stupid things he has said about women. It is as if the corporate world got stuck in the 1940s and no one noticed until the last decade. It would seem the "old boy network" reaches well past the executive level.

Yeah, and it's not just Actiblizz but also some other gaming companies like Riot etc. - As an Old Worlder, I just don't get it. Where are all these presumably young(?) women coming from and why are they so easily becoming victims in today's world? Over here anything on the scale of Actiblizz, Riot etc. would end up in a bunch of dickless men. It'd be a sausage massacre!

Jan 18, 2022, 12:40
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 12:40
Jan 18, 2022, 12:40

Locker room talk is not just locker room talk.
Burrito of Peace

Jan 18, 2022, 12:38
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 12:38
Jan 18, 2022, 12:38

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 10:50:
Not an antitrust issue, really, as it's still only the third largest game company

Well it won't literally make a monopoly, but the idea of the Sherman(?) laws was to prevent it from even getting close to that point, ie. only 2-3 mega companies left.

Of course in 2022 we have global spanning mega corps, some of whom have effectively their own armies already, so... bring on the dystopian nightmare scenarios?

Jan 18, 2022, 12:36
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 12:36
Jan 18, 2022, 12:36

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 18, 2022, 12:31
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 12:31
Jan 18, 2022, 12:31

I don't hear about it so it's not happening.

All European women are a homogeneous blend of Margaret Thatcher and Angela Merkel titrated with a rabid wolverine/badger hybrid.
/Obvious sarcasm with a side of hyperbole

I'm sure "Correlation does not imply causation" fits in here somewhere
Burrito of Peace

Jan 18, 2022, 12:12
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 12:12
Jan 18, 2022, 12:12

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:38:
RogueSix wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:08:
One shithole company buys the other shithole company. This is not going to do the quality of Actiblizz games any favors. Whether it will improve the quality of the workplace, remains to be seen, but since things already seemed to be rock bottom, the only way is up.

BTW, I'm really surprised about the scale of the harassment scandal. How is this even possible? Are American women that much different from European women? I have no idea how a scandal of these proportions is even possible. Here in the Old World, if you merely look at a woman one second longer than she is comfortable with, you have a HUGE problem. The vast majority of women are extremely self confident to the point of arrogance and abrasiveness. No single male individual who has a brain and is interested in their own job security will even try to hit on a woman at work. You just don't. It's suicide in today's cancel culture world over here.
That's why I am surprised how Actiblizz males found so many victims. It boggles the mind.

Wait, you mean women are allowed to work without having men have sex with them?

Yup. Here in the Old World this is the case. That's why, as I said, I'm surprised about the scale of the scandal. It seems like in America a job equals a swinger party or something. Whatever happened to "Don't fuck the company"? Why (seemingly?) are North American women so easily victimized?
OK, sure. It's not like we don't have sexual harassment here in the Old World. There is always a pig somewhere groping or verbally abusing a victim (isolated cases) but I can't really remember anything on the scale of Actiblizz over here and, as I said, I don't think it would even remotely be possible at all in today's climate.

Jan 18, 2022, 11:38
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 11:38
Jan 18, 2022, 11:38

RogueSix wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:08:
One shithole company buys the other shithole company. This is not going to do the quality of Actiblizz games any favors. Whether it will improve the quality of the workplace, remains to be seen, but since things already seemed to be rock bottom, the only way is up.

BTW, I'm really surprised about the scale of the harassment scandal. How is this even possible? Are American women that much different from European women? I have no idea how a scandal of these proportions is even possible. Here in the Old World, if you merely look at a woman one second longer than she is comfortable with, you have a HUGE problem. The vast majority of women are extremely self confident to the point of arrogance and abrasiveness. No single male individual who has a brain and is interested in their own job security will even try to hit on a woman at work. You just don't. It's suicide in today's cancel culture world over here.
That's why I am surprised how Actiblizz males found so many victims. It boggles the mind.

Wait, you mean women are allowed to work without having men have sex with them?
Blasphemy! No woman should feel free to concentrate on doing her job without having men constantly trying to sleep with them. How dare they feel free to attend a meeting and think it's about their career and not their genitals?!

Jan 18, 2022, 11:34
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 11:34
Jan 18, 2022, 11:34

EricFate wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:01:
El Pit wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 10:38:
And this should be the end of Kotick's reign. It is extremely doubtful that Microsoft will let him stay.

First it needs to get approved, which may or may not go smoothly.

But if it does, in spite of the boiler plate 'we're leaving the existing management structure in place' language that goes into every company purchase/merger -- I give it 6 to 8 months tops before they quietly shove him out the door once complete.
From the NYTimes:
"In anticipation of a longer review, Microsoft said it did not expect the Activision deal to close until the next fiscal year, which ends in June 2023."
Burrito of Peace

Jan 18, 2022, 11:31
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 11:31
Jan 18, 2022, 11:31

Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 04:58:
Quinn wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 02:30:
As for no relationships at work period?

I've never worked at a place with a rule like this. It's always been about the management hierarchy... gotta be peers or in different departments.

I was referring to Teddy's post (24) more than any other, then.

Jan 18, 2022, 11:24
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 11:24
Jan 18, 2022, 11:24

"Are American women that much different from European women?.. ... .."

Now do american men. Brood

Victim blame much. jfc

Burrito of Peace

Jan 18, 2022, 11:15
Re: Activision Blizzard Firings Jan 18, 2022, 11:15
Jan 18, 2022, 11:15

Quinn wrote on Jan 18, 2022, 11:06:
.. and their dedication to PC gaming is heartwarming.
Surely this was sarcasm?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older