Humble Trove Retiring macOS and Linux Support

There's an uproar on Reddit about the Humble Store, where as part of changes to Humble Choice that were recently announced, Humble Trove will no longer offer macOS and Linux editions of customer's games. The Trove is switching to a Windows app, so Humble Choice members have until the end of this month to download local non-Windows copies of their games before they are removed forever. Here's word:
We want to give you a heads up that starting February 1, Mac and Linux versions of the DRM free games currently in the Humble Trove will no longer be available.

As a Humble Choice member, you can still download them and keep to keep for your personal collection until January 31. Windows PC versions of many of these games will still be available to download in the upcoming humble app, alongside the brand new Humble Games Collection.

To learn more about the changes coming to humble choice in February, check out our recent blog post.
View : : :
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Humble Trove Retiring macOS and Linux Support
Jan 15, 2022, 14:09
Re: Humble Trove Retiring macOS and Linux Support Jan 15, 2022, 14:09
Jan 15, 2022, 14:09

Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2022, 11:48:
way too serious of an answer for my poor pun of a joke bud
“choice”, I got it.
And I guess I did the “unthinkable” when I installed EGS on Pop!_OS.

Edit:
4% is still 5 million users they just shat on. Wink
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jan 15, 2022, 11:48
Jivaro

Re: Humble Trove Retiring macOS and Linux Support Jan 15, 2022, 11:48
Jan 15, 2022, 11:48
 Jivaro

way too serious of an answer for my poor pun of a joke bud

Jan 15, 2022, 06:40
Re: Humble Trove Retiring macOS and Linux Support Jan 15, 2022, 06:40
Jan 15, 2022, 06:40

Jivaro wrote on Jan 14, 2022, 23:41:
this was a poor "choice" Humble
If the latest Steam Hardware & Software Survey is to be believed, they've cut off less than 4% of gamers.

The cost to develop and maintain two additional client architectures to cater to that amount of potential customers is likely not "good business". And Humble under IGN is a business first and a way to donate to worthy causes second, this is a DRM measure through and through. If it wasn't, they'd still just use the same browser based login they have used for several years.

Anyone that goes "but they could just use a cross-platform framework and use the same client for all of them" has clearly not tried actually doing that with any form of stability required. Anything cross-platform that has to work needs more effort than "use cross-platform library/framework". And the Linux crowd would almost certainly not agree to install some third party DRM scheme (beyond Steam) just for access to games.

Jan 14, 2022, 23:41
Jivaro

Re: Humble Trove Retiring macOS and Linux Support Jan 14, 2022, 23:41
Jan 14, 2022, 23:41
 Jivaro

this was a poor "choice" Humble
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older