This whole time, DICE was playing the proverbial 4D chess, making BF2042 run so poorly that their cheats don't even function properly, and the cheat makers move on to other games.
I've been playing BF2042 occasionally alongside BFV, and it's amazing how well BFV runs in comparison. BF2042 maps seem larger, but it really feels like they blew a lot of resources on the tornadoes and other weather effects, that really don't add a ton to the game. Plus the 128 player count, which overall doesn't seem like it makes the game better
, but no doubt takes up a lot of overhead.
BF2042 needs at least half a dozen changes pretty much immediately:
1) Stop forcing Autospawn on map start. Let people spawn in squadmate vehicles or transport vehicles, or spawn on flags. This will prevent the insanely stupid initial run to the flags in most maps.
2) 'Normal' BF scoreboard. Just to get a feel of how the game is going, and to easier spot the 100-0 cheaters.
3) 5 or even 6 person squads. This may be too hard to implement now, but 4 player squads with 64 players per team is a joke.
4) More tanks and WAY more transport vehicles per map, per team. Entirely too much running across the whole fucking map.
specialists and maybe even the Surveillance guys need Repair tool as a free item, like Medics have free Resuscitation paddles. Makes no sense why they don't currently, balance wise. Only reason I can see is some weird console button limitation.
6) Other specialists issues: Fortification specialist needs better building options for sure, but they probably already screwed this, engine wise. Surveillance (drone) specialist literally encourages people to not play the game, cap or kill wise... needs to be reworked entirely. Once again, probably too late, but definitely would be nice to be changed.
7) Hack ability and EMP grenades can easily shut down main battle tanks for like 30+ seconds, which is a ridiculous penalty for your 2-3 vehicles per team, vs dozens of infantry. EMP grenades at least need to be dropped down to more like 10 seconds, and not block firing of ALL guns, the visual obscuring portion is enough. Also shutting down Repair and Smoke is more than enough.
8) Revert the weird server design, where everyone on the server gets booted back to game search at the end, instead of STAYING ON THE SAME SERVER AND PLAYING THE NEXT MAP. This design literally makes no sense for a Battlefield game, but probably made quite a bit of sense for a Battle Royale game when that was BF2042's design. (assuming that rumor was true)