God of War PC Reviews

With the Windows edition of God of War arriving in two days, we're seeing first reviews. Here's a roundup to help decide if this game is as godlike on PC as it is on PlayStation:

View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: God of War PC Reviews
Jan 13, 2022, 11:15
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 13, 2022, 11:15
Jan 13, 2022, 11:15

Angry Centaur Gaming ACG loved it and called it one of the better PC ports that he's ever played.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jan 13, 2022, 10:30
PHJF

Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 13, 2022, 10:30
Jan 13, 2022, 10:30
 PHJF

God of War is a top-tier action series. This one is a figurative and literal maturation of the series, combining the series' top-tier action gameplay with far more thoughtful storytelling and just the right dash of open-world exploration. It's basically a perfect game.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jan 13, 2022, 04:36
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 13, 2022, 04:36
Jan 13, 2022, 04:36

bhcompy wrote on Jan 13, 2022, 03:35:
Quinn wrote on Jan 13, 2022, 03:23:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 13, 2022, 02:38:
So....any honest reviews of this game? Like, seriously this game is like the posterchild of the Sony Playstations. It's supposed to be the be all end all game, all i see is a beat em up game.

Lol I don't get it either! I keep watching gameplay vids while heavily biased toward wanting to like what I see but I don't somehow. To me I can hardly explain why not though. It's like the game has a reverse X-factor and I just won't like it even though it checks all my boxes.

Gameplay is solid, boss fights are great in typical God of War fashion. That said, the story (and immersion) is what the game is about and what makes it great. If story isn't your thing and you just want another FPS, this ain't your thing(and you would probably want to stay away from first party PlayStation games in general)

Yeah I dig stories. Bit if I want a great story I can read a book or watch a good movie. What is it about the gameplay that makes this a great game? Is there strategy involved in how you approach fights? Is it like Dark Souls (because I hate that shit, if you dont do move x->y>z>a>x>y in EXACTLY in that order you DIE) or more like the Witcher, is there character progression? Is it just press X to win?

Jan 13, 2022, 03:35
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 13, 2022, 03:35
Jan 13, 2022, 03:35

Quinn wrote on Jan 13, 2022, 03:23:
So....any honest reviews of this game? Like, seriously this game is like the posterchild of the Sony Playstations. It's supposed to be the be all end all game, all i see is a beat em up game.

Lol I don't get it either! I keep watching gameplay vids while heavily biased toward wanting to like what I see but I don't somehow. To me I can hardly explain why not though. It's like the game has a reverse X-factor and I just won't like it even though it checks all my boxes.

Gameplay is solid, boss fights are great in typical God of War fashion. That said, the story (and immersion) is what the game is about and what makes it great. If story isn't your thing and you just want another FPS, this ain't your thing(and you would probably want to stay away from first party PlayStation games in general)

Jan 13, 2022, 03:23
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 13, 2022, 03:23
Jan 13, 2022, 03:23

Currently playing: V Rising, Evil Dead: The Game, Sea of Thieves, Ragnarock, Beat Saber

Jan 13, 2022, 02:38
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 13, 2022, 02:38
Jan 13, 2022, 02:38

Jan 12, 2022, 18:04
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 18:04
Jan 12, 2022, 18:04

Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted, nice nice nice.

Bloodborne is the game we need on PC the most though, it was amazing on PS4, maybe the best single player game I ever played, but 30fps is an eyesore.

Jan 12, 2022, 17:49
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 17:49
Jan 12, 2022, 17:49

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 15:42:
Xero wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 14:59:
Something about Sony now that they got my attention. I had zero interest in their exclusives but since porting them so well, I said, why not. So far Days Gone kicked my butt. Turned into one of my favorite games of all time. I next went with Horizon Zero Dawn but although graphically beautiful, the acting is pretty weak in comparison to Days Gone and it's been rough to keep my attention. I'm still slowly trudging through it hoping it picks up significantly at some point. I think the same could be said about Days Gone where it starts off pretty mediocre only to turn into an epic experience.

I went into the first two not knowing jack about them and that worked great for Days Gone. I'm hoping HZD shows me something soon. I imagine God of War would be similar. I don't know anything about it though knew a co-worker took off a day from work to play the sequel when it came out, lol. I thought, well, it must be good... I'm just happy Sony finally came around to doing this. They have to be extremely satisfied with the extra sales on older titles.

Hrm, really? I had heard lukewarm reviews of Days Gone, plus it apparently has some annoying DRM issues.

I bought Horizon Zero Dawn on GoG, the complete version, and I am really enjoying it, although I did peter out a bit in the DLC area, and got distracted by some other games for awhile. Opinions will differ of course, but I'm a little more interested in Days Gone hearing that you liked it more than HZD.

Days Gone is a fantastic game that was sunk by a bad initial release (since fixed) and a slow first act.

Jan 12, 2022, 16:46
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 16:46
Jan 12, 2022, 16:46

Xero: I enjoyed HZD's story, despite the acting being...I dunno. The main character is WAY too fucking cheery for living in the back-ass end of an already brutally devastated populace, and also having been marked as an outcast. If the primary storyline doesn't have you VERY interested in what in the hell happened by the time you're let out into the open world (mostly...there's a gate-city you'll need to get through at one point), you may never be hooked. I will likely pick up the sequel on day 1 if reviews are good. I'm not sure how it could possibly have a storyline to rival the original, but God of War managed it, so maybe HZD can pull a similar stunt.

Jan 12, 2022, 16:29
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 16:29
Jan 12, 2022, 16:29

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 15:13:
Wtf?
Aren't they playing some weeks old build?
Perhaps something will change (for the better) once the full game launches.

Jan 12, 2022, 15:42
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 15:42
Jan 12, 2022, 15:42

Xero wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 14:59:
Something about Sony now that they got my attention. I had zero interest in their exclusives but since porting them so well, I said, why not. So far Days Gone kicked my butt. Turned into one of my favorite games of all time. I next went with Horizon Zero Dawn but although graphically beautiful, the acting is pretty weak in comparison to Days Gone and it's been rough to keep my attention. I'm still slowly trudging through it hoping it picks up significantly at some point. I think the same could be said about Days Gone where it starts off pretty mediocre only to turn into an epic experience.

I went into the first two not knowing jack about them and that worked great for Days Gone. I'm hoping HZD shows me something soon. I imagine God of War would be similar. I don't know anything about it though knew a co-worker took off a day from work to play the sequel when it came out, lol. I thought, well, it must be good... I'm just happy Sony finally came around to doing this. They have to be extremely satisfied with the extra sales on older titles.

Hrm, really? I had heard lukewarm reviews of Days Gone, plus it apparently has some annoying DRM issues.

I bought Horizon Zero Dawn on GoG, the complete version, and I am really enjoying it, although I did peter out a bit in the DLC area, and got distracted by some other games for awhile. Opinions will differ of course, but I'm a little more interested in Days Gone hearing that you liked it more than HZD.

Jan 12, 2022, 15:13
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 15:13
Jan 12, 2022, 15:13

From VG247....

For some reason, however, I could not find a way to run the game in exclusive fullscreen mode. Your choices are either windowed or borderless. This is annoying, but nowhere near a major problem in this case, particularly as God of War is not exactly a power-hungry game that suffers from not running in exclusive fullscreen, though I do wonder if fullscreen would be what’s needed to get it closer to 120fps.

Wtf?

One particular option I hoped would be tweakable in the PC version is sadly not, that being FOV. The third-person camera in God of War is one of the tightest I have seen in any game. Sony Santa Monica knew this, as evident by the UI indicators alerting you to off-screen attacks, which flash in practically every fight with more than two enemies, not to mention the constant callouts from Mimir and Atreus.

Wtf 2?

Another problem from the original also returns on PC, and it’s the most surprising. Stutters when loading into new areas or transitioning to the outdoors were somewhat common on PS4, but they were typically cleverly hidden with cutscenes.

With the PC port installed on a gen 3 NVMe SSD, the game barely makes any use of that speed. Those elevator rides and realm travel sections are about as long as they were on PS4, with the added problem of noticeable stuttering as the new area loads in behind the closed door.

Wtf 3?

Unfortunately, while you can remap keyboard and mouse controls, you cannot do the same for controllers - another bizarre omission. In fact, the game greys out the keybind customization menu as soon as it detects a controller. I didn’t find this to be a major problem, as the same options from PS4 return, which let you swap dodge from A to B, and bring back the classic X/Y attack buttons rather than Souls-style bumpers/triggers.

I can imagine this being a much bigger problem for players who require accessibility options for certain controllers, and I honestly don’t understand why the feature can be offered for keyboard but not controllers.

Wtf 4?
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Jan 12, 2022, 14:59
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 14:59
Jan 12, 2022, 14:59

Jan 12, 2022, 14:08
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 14:08
Jan 12, 2022, 14:08

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 12, 2022, 13:44:
There's a boss fight around every corner. 10/10

Lol, the game looks great, but that seems like that might get annoying after awhile. Give me some trash to kill early at least?

I am tempted to buy this even at full price, the game queue is unstoppable.

Jan 12, 2022, 14:02
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 14:02
Jan 12, 2022, 14:02

Oh man, glad to see that it isn't stumbling out the gate like HZD did. Both of these ported to PC games have sequels coming out this year, and I will likely play them on their native PS5 home, even if PC ports get announced prior to console launch (which won't happen).

Both HZD and God of War are well worth playing. I played them to death on the console, so my interest in the PC ports isn't strong enough to purchase them. I'd simply want to sample how it ran smoother/looked a bit better, and then be done. Same with Ghost of Tsushima, if they port that masterpiece to PC.

This has been the long way around of saying that if you dig story-based single player games, both HZD and GoW are stellar, and you should pick them up. As long as it's a good port, I'd also HIGHLY recommend Uncharted 4 when it comes along later this year. You'll miss some backstory on the characters from the first 3 games, but it gives you enough about them that you won't be confused.

Jan 12, 2022, 13:44
Re: God of War PC Reviews Jan 12, 2022, 13:44
Jan 12, 2022, 13:44

There's a boss fight around every corner. 10/10
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older