SEGA Waffles on NFTs

A report on TweakTown follows up on interest SEGA has expressed in incorporating NFT technology into future games (thanks VGC). The article notes a recent company meeting where SEGA CEO Haruki Satomi discussed possible issues with such a plan. It sounds like this may not happen, as he says this will not proceed if it's perceived as "simple money-making," and it's probably hard to find gamers who will not view it that way. Here's word:
"In terms of NFT, we would like to try out various experiments and we have already started many different studies and considerations but nothing is decided at this point regarding P2E.

"There have been many announcement about this already including at overseas but there are users who shows negative reactions at this point.

"We need to carefully assess many things such as how we can mitigate the negative elements, how much we can introduce this within the Japanese regulation, what will be accepted and what will not be by the users.

"Then, we will consider this further if this leads to our mission "Constantly Creating, Forever Captivating", but if it is perceived as simple money-making, I would like to make a decision not to proceed."
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs
Jan 9, 2022, 15:39
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 15:39
Jan 9, 2022, 15:39

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 9, 2022, 01:14:
But I'm more referring to how the meatspace and virtual economies are interconnected (imagine paying for groceries with the gold you collect in your favorite RPG) and all of your digital belongings carry with you seamlessly no matter where you go or what you're doing online. And if you have stuff you don't want or need, you just sell it, to anyone, anywhere, instantly. That cannot be done in traditional ways, where every publisher has their own authentication server and nothing is transferable outside of their own walled garden.

I think you might be misinformed if you believe that a blockchain is going to be a cure for the walled gardens.

Please explain to everyone why you believe a blockchain that handles transactions is going to fix the walled gardens so that assets from one game will work in another company's game? Please explain to everyone why it would only work if the transaction were handled by a blockchain as opposed to the traditional way transactions are done online?

There could be a future, where someone builds a 3rd party systems that enables games to integrate with it so that assets in this system could work with all the games that supported the system, and allow players to buy, sell and trade these assets. But nothing about what I just described requires a blockchain. What you are dreaming about does not require a block chain. What you are dreaming about would be BETTER (faster and cheaper) without a blockchain.

Decentralized is the only feature unique to the blockchain, and it doesn't really add value except for people interested in laundering money. Do you launder money or do you have a different reason to be hyping up blockchains?

Jan 9, 2022, 09:55
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 09:55
Jan 9, 2022, 09:55

Okay, I'm puzzled by how NFTs improve my enjoyment of a game in any PRACTICAL way.

I can already own unique items in some of the games I play, and those items are managed by some kind of digital ledger in the game, and those items are mine until the game's servers cease to operate, at which point I will lose access to those items.

How does having that item listed in a blockchain ledger in any way improve on that? I would still own unique items in a game, and when that game's servers stop running, I still lose access to the items. Oh, but I can brag that I really do still own a +60 Diamond Plate armor, and you can look it up in the block chain?
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Jan 9, 2022, 08:30
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 08:30
Jan 9, 2022, 08:30

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 9, 2022, 03:09:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:32:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:29:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:15:
OK, stay with me.

An NFT of a waffle...with the Sega logo on it.

It'll sell like gothcakes.

A waffle shaped like Sonic!

That's the next round of NFTs. We gotta do this in limited bursts because we want milk interest players as much as possible.

No no this has to be the inaugural NFT with only 10 made!

That would defeat the NFT point, NFT's are garbage with zero value because infinite copies exist and you don't even own it after buying it.
Meanwhile those waffles would have actual value

Jan 9, 2022, 08:25
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 08:25
Jan 9, 2022, 08:25

Okay, first let me say anyone alive today who thinks we will live to see a "Ready Player One" like metaverse is fooling themselves. Second, as I have said before, there will someday be a crypto currency which is stable, widely accepted, safe, and convenient to use. Those conditions do not exist yet. The chance I will live to see that day is extremely small.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 9, 2022, 08:24
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 08:24
Jan 9, 2022, 08:24

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 9, 2022, 01:14:
No, dude, this is where you should open your eyes and see what's happening.... It is real money, and there's already a P2E boom happening in developing nations where what might be an amount we're too lazy to gather from between our couch cushions is more than they could earn from working all day in a sweatshop. Not to mention those early adopters/investors who basically end up like they won the lottery and have bank account balances you would certainly be jealous of, from "just more virtual horse armor." And that's only from these crappy and simplistic games that make the average mobile app look really compelling by comparison, but the concept alone draws enough interest from crypto-trading speculation to provide millions of dollars in liquidity. Once quality games start coming out with integrated P2E elements, that's when it'll gain more mainstream attention. Because even if it's not enough to quit your day job, you'll have the opportunity to get paid for playing something like Counter-Strike or League of Legends or PUBG or whatever. If the current big publishers don't deliver that, there will be plenty of up-and-comers willing to do so.
This sounds like making Chinese gold farming into a feature, and something that will inevitably lean heavily into the F2P model of chasing whales by preying on their addictive tendencies. Someone's putting money in, and someone's getting money out. The loser in this equation isn't going to be the company selling the game and it's probably not going to be people for whom time is less valuable than money. If someone asks how this will make games better and the answer talks about how everyone's going to make so much money, that's kind of a red flag that triggers the same alarms as a MLM spiel.

Jan 9, 2022, 07:44
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 07:44
Jan 9, 2022, 07:44

So, instead of mining crypto, people will mine games for NFT...and waffles.

Jan 9, 2022, 06:55
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 06:55
Jan 9, 2022, 06:55

All this P2E bull sh*t double talk is a side show to distract people from the main goal of all of this which is sell artificially scarce jpegs to very rich people for ridiculous prices while the publisher launders money and cooks their books.

P2E are you kidding me? Magic beans anyone?
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jan 9, 2022, 03:09
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 03:09
Jan 9, 2022, 03:09

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:32:
OK, stay with me.

That's the next round of NFTs. We gotta do this in limited bursts because we want milk interest players as much as possible.

No no this has to be the inaugural NFT with only 10 made!

Jan 9, 2022, 03:08
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 03:08
Jan 9, 2022, 03:08

Baristan wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 21:22:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:28:
French Toast > Pancakes with abs

Waffle French Toast - French Toast with abs

I DO NOT HAVE A WAFFLE IRON TO MAKE SUCH THINGS! *sniffles*

Jan 9, 2022, 01:40
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 01:40
Jan 9, 2022, 01:40

Oh what a perfect future we have to look forward to. Epic will pay us to play the free games that they give us. Talk about win when.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jan 9, 2022, 01:14
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 01:14
Jan 9, 2022, 01:14

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 22:08:
Interesting that Ready Player One got brought up. A key part of that dystopian setting is that regular people are so destitute that they are living in vertical slums and wreckage.

NFTs and Cryptocurrency in games will add nothing beneficial to users that couldn't be done some traditional way. It's another scam to siphon off additional cash, multiple times, depending on how the Store/Exchange gets set up.

Well yeah, once the metaverse is here, a lot of people will prefer to spend their time there because they find real life just sucks. That's another inevitability... But I'm more referring to how the meatspace and virtual economies are interconnected (imagine paying for groceries with the gold you collect in your favorite RPG) and all of your digital belongings carry with you seamlessly no matter where you go or what you're doing online. And if you have stuff you don't want or need, you just sell it, to anyone, anywhere, instantly. That cannot be done in traditional ways, where every publisher has their own authentication server and nothing is transferable outside of their own walled garden. It would have to be a pretty terrifying dystopia, with ONLY one publisher controlling everything, for that to be done the way things are handled now. You require decentralization, which is what a blockchain provides.

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 21:57:
So a job, except you don't earn real money. No major pub is going to give players ownership in anything. We don't own anything now and they make mountains of money, why would they change that to something that benefits them in no way? "Ownership" of virtual items is just more virtual horse armor.

No, dude, this is where you should open your eyes and see what's happening.... It is real money, and there's already a P2E boom happening in developing nations where what might be an amount we're too lazy to gather from between our couch cushions is more than they could earn from working all day in a sweatshop. Not to mention those early adopters/investors who basically end up like they won the lottery and have bank account balances you would certainly be jealous of, from "just more virtual horse armor." And that's only from these crappy and simplistic games that make the average mobile app look really compelling by comparison, but the concept alone draws enough interest from crypto-trading speculation to provide millions of dollars in liquidity. Once quality games start coming out with integrated P2E elements, that's when it'll gain more mainstream attention. Because even if it's not enough to quit your day job, you'll have the opportunity to get paid for playing something like Counter-Strike or League of Legends or PUBG or whatever. If the current big publishers don't deliver that, there will be plenty of up-and-comers willing to do so.

Jan 9, 2022, 00:47
Kxmode

Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 00:47
Jan 9, 2022, 00:47
 Kxmode

OK, stay with me.

That's just crazy talk! It would obviously be a blueberry waffle shaped like Sonic.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Jan 9, 2022, 00:34
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 9, 2022, 00:34
Jan 9, 2022, 00:34

Ponzi Cryptorot taking hold in the gaming business...

Jan 8, 2022, 23:54
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 23:54
Jan 8, 2022, 23:54

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:18:
As mentioned, it's called 'play to earn.' The idea is to reward players with actual monetary value in exchange for their time and effort spent engaging with the game. Often it's in the form of plain cryptocurrency, which may be spent in-game or else exchanged on open markets outside of the game for fiat ("real" money). But the functionality of an NFT allows that crypto to represent something more unique, usually involving some form of utility within the game (consumable items, equipment, cosmetics, mounts, land, buildings, etc.). Both standard tokens and NFTs may also carry with them entitlement to ownership over the game itself, like stock in a company.

If you've read or seen 'Ready Player One,' then you should already be familiar with what this future of gaming will look like. They don't get into too many details of the mechanics of it, but blockchain technology is what can make that happen. Of course it scares the hell out of these traditional publishers who hesitate to give over any ownership of anything to players, but at the same time I think none of them want to be too far behind in adopting it because they would quickly become obsolete.
That sounds kind of terrible on the face of it. It comes across like a new kind of premium currency, which I don't think is something that's really enriched free-to-play games. And rewarding "reward players with actual monetary value in exchange for their time and effort spent engaging with the game" sounds like making games into work, again a field where F2P games have focused heavily.

I mean, I think it's an accurate summation. It ties in with the president of Square Enix acknowledging that people who play games to have fun are understandably going to have reservations about these trends. And my understanding is that the fastest growing game segments in the last few years have been mobile, and F2P PC games. So is the gist that grindy social games are going to take over the gaming space, to the detriment of traditional gamers and publishers/developers who focus on fun games? I haven't seen or read Ready Player One, so I don't know what gaming looked like there.

Jan 8, 2022, 22:08
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 22:08
Jan 8, 2022, 22:08

Interesting that Ready Player One got brought up. A key part of that dystopian setting is that regular people are so destitute that they are living in vertical slums and wreckage.

NFTs and Cryptocurrency in games will add nothing beneficial to users that couldn't be done some traditional way. It's another scam to siphon off additional cash, multiple times, depending on how the Store/Exchange gets set up.

Jan 8, 2022, 21:57
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 21:57
Jan 8, 2022, 21:57

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:18:
Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 14:03:
What is the point of an NFT beyond making money for those who create them? In what possible way can they be a benefit to a game?

As mentioned, it's called 'play to earn.' The idea is to reward players with actual monetary value in exchange for their time and effort spent engaging with the game. Often it's in the form of plain cryptocurrency, which may be spent in-game or else exchanged on open markets outside of the game for fiat ("real" money). But the functionality of an NFT allows that crypto to represent something more unique, usually involving some form of utility within the game (consumable items, equipment, cosmetics, mounts, land, buildings, etc.). Both standard tokens and NFTs may also carry with them entitlement to ownership over the game itself, like stock in a company.

If you've read or seen 'Ready Player One,' then you should already be familiar with what this future of gaming will look like. They don't get into too many details of the mechanics of it, but blockchain technology is what can make that happen. Of course it scares the hell out of these traditional publishers who hesitate to give over any ownership of anything to players, but at the same time I think none of them want to be too far behind in adopting it because they would quickly become obsolete.

So a job, except you don't earn real money. No major pub is going to give players ownership in anything. We don't own anything now and they make mountains of money, why would they change that to something that benefits them in no way? "Ownership" of virtual items is just more virtual horse armor.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Jan 8, 2022, 21:22
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 21:22
Jan 8, 2022, 21:22

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 19:28:

Waffle French Toast - French Toast with abs

Jan 8, 2022, 19:32
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 19:32
Jan 8, 2022, 19:32

OK, stay with me.

"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Jan 8, 2022, 19:29
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 19:29
Jan 8, 2022, 19:29

OK, stay with me.

Jan 8, 2022, 19:28
Re: SEGA Waffles on NFTs Jan 8, 2022, 19:28
Jan 8, 2022, 19:28

GinRummy wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 13:16:
Mmmm, waffles.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older