Out of the Blue

Well another year has rolled around, and it's time to wish a happy birthday to Frans. As you hopefully know by now, Frans is the chief engineer here at the Starship Blue's News, and it's entirely through his efforts that things run as smoothly as they do here. Or run at all, for that matter. So I hope you'll join me in wishing him the best on this occasion.

Also, speaking of running smoothly, or not in this case: Apologies for the ad at the bottom of the screen you may be experiencing here. We told our ad provider that we would not run these because of how they reload and re-expand after being minimized or dismissed. But there must have been a missed communication, as they have now shown up. It's the weekend, which may delay getting these removed, but I promise to get them out of here as soon as possible.

Obituary: Marilyn Bergman Dies- Multiple Oscar, Emmy, Grammy Winner Was 93.
Obituary: Son of Sinéad O’Connor dies at age of 17 after going missing.

Annual Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans!
Jan 11, 2022, 00:23
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 11, 2022, 00:23
Jan 11, 2022, 00:23

Simon Says wrote on Jan 9, 2022, 04:49:
... Next time, have her take a Pfizer, you'll be glad you did, and her too #BeSafe.
... As for your anecdotes about pain, there's a mutation on a gene that confers this to some people. ...
Simon Says, so sorry I missed this.
Some serious info here very much obliged man ! Will tell my daughter.

The problem in Argentina is that you *must* accept what you get when you arrive at the vaccination designed place and time given, or have nothing.
No alternatives at all, not knowing when you'll get another chance

'Moon Cube' turns out to be a rock
Jan 9, 2022, 10:43
'Moon Cube' turns out to be a rock Jan 9, 2022, 10:43
Jan 9, 2022, 10:43

This is my shocked face.

-----
Happy Birthday Frans!
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Re: Son of Sinéad O’Connor dies at age of 17 after going missing.
Jan 9, 2022, 08:35
Re: Son of Sinéad O’Connor dies at age of 17 after going missing. Jan 9, 2022, 08:35
Jan 9, 2022, 08:35

Anyone seen a useful article on this? From what I can gather her son was hospitalized and had previously attempted suicide. He left? escaped? the hospital and was successful in another attempt. But I haven't seen anything to indicate the nature of his problems. Drugs? Clinically depressed? Serious psych problems? (schizophrenia, bi-polar, etc) Not that it really matters I guess. But if you are going to print news articles about someone's death, learning something about the situation seems appropriate,
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 9, 2022, 04:49
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 9, 2022, 04:49
Jan 9, 2022, 04:49

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 22:36:
And my poor daughter is in bed with a 2 days fever, 39 centigrade with her wimpy Astrazeneca booster.

AZ shots are notoriously prone to reactions. Be it "mild" but "usual", severe ( unusual ) but not life threatening or unusual and life threatening. 2 times as much as Moderna and more than 4 times as much as Pfizer.

AZ = 195.8 Unusual clinical manifestations per 100k doses, among them 18.6 severe
Moderna = 99.6 Unusual clinical manifestations per 100k doses, among them 6.6 severe
Pfizer = 45.3 Unusual clinical manifestations per 100k doses, among them 4.7 severe

Pfizer is the "wimpy" one. AZ is more than 4 times tougher on the system.

Source: https://www.inspq.qc.ca/covid-19/donnees/vaccination ( french website, data for the Quebec province, 15,5 million doses given, enough to get a good statistical idea )

Next time, have her take a Pfizer, you'll be glad you did, and her too #BeSafe.

As for your anecdotes about pain, there's a mutation on a gene that confers this to some people. Can't remember the name, but you can either have 1 copy from 1 parent and feel much lessened pain, but can still feel some pain, or 2 copies, 1 from each parent and not feel any pain at all even if you had a rusted nail right through your hand.

Jan 9, 2022, 00:54
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 9, 2022, 00:54
Jan 9, 2022, 00:54

My Covid app has been going off nonstop lately, warning me that I may be a close contact because I visited so-and-so shops.
With the high numbers now, it has got to the point where the app should probably resort to telling me places where I wasn't at risk of infection. Sick

Jan 8, 2022, 22:36
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 22:36
Jan 8, 2022, 22:36

Happy Cake Day Frans !
Hope you eat and drink your fill.

----------------------------------
Simon Says wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 18:28:
Got the booster today... In my forties, Moderna ( the half dose ) after 2 Pfizer shots.
Hits like a mothertrucker. Had a aching arm first shot. 2nd I had a few flu like symptoms during my first night and a aching arm.
This one ( 3rd )... full blown flu like symptoms ever since I got up. 81F in my room with the wood stove burning away yet I feel cold ( no fever tho ). So I just decided to take this one easy in bed.
I don't even want to know what a 4th would feel like.
Here's to hoping that "cover all possible variants and coronaviruses" vaccine research the US army and others have been conducting bears fruit ( Phase 3 I think they're at? ) for the 4th. Cause I don't know if I'd be game for a 5th... And that's coming from someone who takes the flu shot every year since my teens.
Confirming to my family my alien genes, had the Pfizer booster the 7th.
And again ... nothing, but a suggestion of sensibility on my arm, that's it.

Not surprising at all, years without knowing what a headache is.
Used to come from karate-do with my arms in yellow, orange and violet : no problem.
Dentist, incredulous after extracting a totally bad teeth and showing it to me: "you really didn't feel any pain??" ...

And my poor daughter is in bed with a 2 days fever, 39 centigrade with her wimpy Astrazeneca booster.

Jan 8, 2022, 22:01
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 22:01
Jan 8, 2022, 22:01

Good luck, Wolfen. Can't wait for some Malaysian food and culture tales after you get there.
"Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?" - Captain Clarence Oveur

Jan 8, 2022, 21:42
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 21:42
Jan 8, 2022, 21:42

Puttering around in Prey and ran across Walton Goggins as the voice of Aaron Ingram. lol
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jan 8, 2022, 19:58
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 19:58
Jan 8, 2022, 19:58

Same here Wolfen, thanks for the update.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Jan 8, 2022, 19:43
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 19:43
Jan 8, 2022, 19:43

Wolfen wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 18:07:

[/blog post]

Anyhow, sorry to blog post on your forum Blue. And happy birthday to Frans!

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks for the update! I was one of the ones who was curious about how things were going over there. Good to get a man-on-the-ground account.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jan 8, 2022, 19:42
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 19:42
Jan 8, 2022, 19:42

Simon Says wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 18:28:
Got the booster today... In my forties, Moderna ( the half dose ) after 2 Pfizer shots.

Hits like a mothertrucker. Had a aching arm first shot. 2nd I had a few flu like symptoms during my first night and a aching arm.

This one ( 3rd )... full blown flu like symptoms ever since I got up. 81F in my room with the wood stove burning away yet I feel cold ( no fever tho ). So I just decided to take this one easy in bed.

Here's to hoping that "cover all possible variants and coronaviruses" vaccine research the US army and others have been conducting bears fruit ( Phase 3 I think they're at? ) for the 4th. Cause I don't know if I'd be game for a 5th... And that's coming from someone who takes the flu shot every year since my teens.
If the Walter Reed vaccine pans out, you still may need to get it regularly. COVID antibodies don't appear to last that long, unfortunately. At least we can be confident that it will be effective regardless of the mutation.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jan 8, 2022, 19:06
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 19:06
Jan 8, 2022, 19:06

1badmf wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 18:59:
JWST fully deployed! Tact can i get a smirk at least?!
Not until the first images are fully processed -- that's when we found out Hubble was busted.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 8, 2022, 18:59
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:59
Jan 8, 2022, 18:59

JWST fully deployed! Tact can i get a smirk at least?!

Jan 8, 2022, 18:42
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:42
Jan 8, 2022, 18:42

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 18:26:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 14:03:
sauron wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 13:52:
Happy birthday! Balloon

New Year's resolution - eat fewer hobbits. Doc says they contain too much salt, cholesterol and alcohol (!). Cthulhu
Just cut out second breakfast and elevensies and you should be fine.

Double the hobbits, Elf's are just skin and bones....

Actually elves qualify as either fish or plants depending on which wraith you ask. So I may have to go pescatarian or vegetarian. Cthulhu
Kittens!

Jan 8, 2022, 18:39
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:39
Jan 8, 2022, 18:39

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 18:28:
Random update by me. I know a couple of people here were interested in my China stories during the start of Covid. Well, things here are still quite normal. Some cases pop up here and there and Shanghai continues to assault it with strength by enforcing lockdowns on anyone who had even been in close range of the person/people who tested positive.

For the most part, though our lives have been fairly normal for the past year and a half. We only wear masks in taxis as they require it, hospitals, banks, government facilities, etc. A lot of people will still wear masks purely out of safety for themselves and everyone else but it isn't even really needed at this point still. Most people are vaccinated, but it's that classic style vaccine of a deactivated version of the virus. I am unsure of its efficacy of it since I always hear different things. But I have had two shots and can't get a third until Feb. A few places ask for our health codes. The health code is how they know if you are safe, risky, or infected. The contact tracing here is insane because yes...China really does know at the very least where you have been all the time. Unless you don't carry a phone. Then they need to use one of their bazillion cameras to find you.

But the real big update is that I am moving to Malaysia in a couple of weeks. My time in China is ending after a decade. This was very intentional. Our company has a new studio there and my family has been in Malaysia since before COVID started. I haven't seen them since. So this move benefits both of us and has been almost a year in the making.

Stay safe everyone.

Trust me I've blogged on here before. And congrats on the move I hope!

Me too. Enjoy KL (and Singapore), and your family! Mrs. Sauron and I haven't seen ours in over two years - hers are in Japan, mine are in the UK/Mordor. Travel restrictions are rough for us but I'm sure China is much worse.
Kittens!

Jan 8, 2022, 18:28
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:28

Random update by me. I know a couple of people here were interested in my China stories during the start of Covid. Well, things here are still quite normal. Some cases pop up here and there and Shanghai continues to assault it with strength by enforcing lockdowns on anyone who had even been in close range of the person/people who tested positive.

For the most part, though our lives have been fairly normal for the past year and a half. We only wear masks in taxis as they require it, hospitals, banks, government facilities, etc. A lot of people will still wear masks purely out of safety for themselves and everyone else but it isn't even really needed at this point still. Most people are vaccinated, but it's that classic style vaccine of a deactivated version of the virus. I am unsure of its efficacy of it since I always hear different things. But I have had two shots and can't get a third until Feb. A few places ask for our health codes. The health code is how they know if you are safe, risky, or infected. The contact tracing here is insane because yes...China really does know at the very least where you have been all the time. Unless you don't carry a phone. Then they need to use one of their bazillion cameras to find you.

But the real big update is that I am moving to Malaysia in a couple of weeks. My time in China is ending after a decade. This was very intentional. Our company has a new studio there and my family has been in Malaysia since before COVID started. I haven't seen them since. So this move benefits both of us and has been almost a year in the making.

Stay safe everyone.

Trust me I've blogged on here before. And congrats on the move I hope!

Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:28

Jan 8, 2022, 18:26
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:26
Jan 8, 2022, 18:26

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 14:03:
sauron wrote on Jan 8, 2022, 13:52:
Happy birthday! Balloon

New Year's resolution - eat fewer hobbits. Doc says they contain too much salt, cholesterol and alcohol (!). Cthulhu
Just cut out second breakfast and elevensies and you should be fine.

Double the hobbits, Elf's are just skin and bones....

Jan 8, 2022, 18:07
Wolfen

Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 18:07
Jan 8, 2022, 18:07
 Wolfen

Stay safe everyone.

Jan 8, 2022, 17:21
Re: OotB: Happy Birthday Frans! Jan 8, 2022, 17:21
Jan 8, 2022, 17:21

Thank you Blue and everyone for the kind wishes, I had a nice birthday (given Covid restrictions in the Netherlands).

I've disabled the big ad bar now, that is, if this is still served the way I think it is (the ad provider changed something a while back).
-- Frans
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older