Diablo IV Quarterly Update

A new Diablo IV Quarterly Update has the latest from Blizzard on the next installment in the action/RP series. There's one section on itemization and the Paragon system and another on the game's visual effects. There's good news for anyone who that thought the Paragon system introduced for Diablo III wasn't complex enough, as it's definitely more intricate now. Here's the intro:
First, Lead Systems Designer Joe Piepiora will discuss updates to key elements of itemization. These include the return of +Skills on items, a new way to interact with legendary powers, and some early work on targeted drops. After that, grab a warm beverage and a comfortable chair as he walks us through Diablo IV's completely new end-game character growth system: the Paragon Board.

Next, Lead Visual Effects Artist Daniel Briggs will describe the philosophy that allows our talented VFX team to create huge explosions and eye-popping skill effects while keeping the game clear and readable, even when there are many players and monsters on the screen at the same time. He'll also go into detail on how Diablo IV's new game engine has allowed us to make frame-by-frame combat more precise and nuanced, while leveling up our effects to take advantage of the new lighting system. Finally, feast your eyes upon a plethora of skills across all four announced classes that show off our skill-driven death system.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update
Dec 22, 2021, 08:19
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 22, 2021, 08:19
Dec 22, 2021, 08:19

Put them on Imgur (or other similar site) and post the links.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 22, 2021, 02:33
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 22, 2021, 02:33
Dec 22, 2021, 02:33

I wish I could post screengrabs or snips on Blues, alas I cannot. It would be inherently apparent in a side-by-side comparison of two similar item tooltips.

Dec 21, 2021, 22:40
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 22:40
Dec 21, 2021, 22:40

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 21, 2021, 02:40:
Holy crap, so their new "Paragon" system is basically Path of Exile's passive skill tree.
Definitely looks like some PoE influence going on there. Let's hope it doesn't end up being as complicated as PoE's passive skill tree and not as hard to re-do.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 21, 2021, 21:32
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 21:32
Dec 21, 2021, 21:32

Looks great, especially the new AOE functionality and animations. Hope a game comes out that actually meets expectations for once. Well, Elden Ring is close at least.

Dec 21, 2021, 11:04
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 11:04
Dec 21, 2021, 11:04

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 21, 2021, 09:23:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 21, 2021, 08:13:

Blizzard will never please everybody for a game like Diablo 4, people will complain no matter what they end up doing.

Im sorry but that's not true. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or in game developer terms, if it's perfected, don't change it. There are a lot of issues with Diablo 2, that could have been improved upon in Diablo 3. Most of those were ignored, and instead a completely different game emerged. There are some things though that Diablo 2 does perfectly, and for some reason those were completely torn down and replaced with Warcraft 3 influenced BS.

One of those things that D2 does nearly perfectly is itemization, and more specifically the way that information is presented to the player. It's clean, elegant, simple and has never been bested in any cRPG game to come since. This is an example of something that needed to be left alone for D3 (and it wasn't). There seems to be a definite push for D4 to return to some of those "values" with respect to affixes and suffixes, which is a good thing. Hopefully they make the presentation of this as intuitive and simple as it is in D2. It's one of those things that just "works".

Well, I do need to go back and look at either D2 directly or some side by side pictures of their item descriptions next to D4, because I don't recall D2 being that far off from this prototype version of D4 in terms of item text, at least by the 'end' of D2 development.

But I think you're kidding yourself a bit if you think 'everyone' will be satisfied if D4's itemization was made to look as close to D2 as possible, I guarantee some people will be pissed off that they didn't evolve it enough, or whatever.

Random comparison I found after googling for 2 seconds: youtube I didn't watch this guy's 25 minute video, but I scanned through quickly for some pictures of both. They don't seem that far off to me, what exactly do you want done differently for D4 than their current item descriptions? D2 was pretty verbose, especially for yellow randoms. For the record, I don't really have a dog in this fight, I've played dozens of RPGs and ARPGs with various levels of information given, nothing bugs me except for being too vague or opaque.

Dec 21, 2021, 09:23
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 09:23
Dec 21, 2021, 09:23

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 21, 2021, 08:13:

Blizzard will never please everybody for a game like Diablo 4, people will complain no matter what they end up doing.

Im sorry but that's not true. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or in game developer terms, if it's perfected, don't change it. There are a lot of issues with Diablo 2, that could have been improved upon in Diablo 3. Most of those were ignored, and instead a completely different game emerged. There are some things though that Diablo 2 does perfectly, and for some reason those were completely torn down and replaced with Warcraft 3 influenced BS.

One of those things that D2 does nearly perfectly is itemization, and more specifically the way that information is presented to the player. It's clean, elegant, simple and has never been bested in any cRPG game to come since. This is an example of something that needed to be left alone for D3 (and it wasn't). There seems to be a definite push for D4 to return to some of those "values" with respect to affixes and suffixes, which is a good thing. Hopefully they make the presentation of this as intuitive and simple as it is in D2. It's one of those things that just "works".

Dec 21, 2021, 08:13
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 08:13
Dec 21, 2021, 08:13

Too much information? Lol, people would complain about the stats being too vague if they didn't put all of that in there.

Graphically, I like how it looks quite a bit. Their PoE-lite system... eh, it looks like it could be good, but don't forget Path of Exile basically spent ten years fiddling with their Passives system and they still aren't satisfied. I expect Diablo 4 won't finalize their Paragon system for years after release.

Dec 21, 2021, 07:29
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 07:29
Dec 21, 2021, 07:29

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 21, 2021, 02:40:
Are they fucking morons?

Yep.

Dec 21, 2021, 02:40
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 21, 2021, 02:40
Dec 21, 2021, 02:40

Holy crap, so their new "Paragon" system is basically Path of Exile's passive skill tree. Hopefully they don't fuck it up and let people just level this shit up infinitely, because it sure looks like that might be the case. Also their item tooltips are still the same D3 bullshit that tries to cram too much information into the tooltip at the expense of being clean and presentable. Don't these guys play Diablo2? Are they fucking morons?

At least they cleaned up the VFX and the art department seems to be taking their cues from Diablo2 Resurrected, where less is more, which is a good thing.

Dec 20, 2021, 21:56
Re: Diablo IV Quarterly Update Dec 20, 2021, 21:56
Dec 20, 2021, 21:56

The expanded Paragon system looks pretty neat. The addition of rifts, greater rifts, and Paragon to D3 improved the endgame dramatically, but they were all added post-launch so they've always felt just kind of tacked on. With D4 they have a chance to work these systems into the game from the ground up, which could do a lot to ensure that the endgame is expansive and satisfying. So far the game looks good.
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older