Myth of Empires Strikes Back

The studio behind Myth of Empires has filed a lawsuit against Snail Games and Studio Wildcard over the revent removal of the game from Steam amid allegations it uses code stolen from Ark: Survival Evolved (thanks MMOFallout via Eurogamer). Here are the points that summarize the objections, which downplay the discovery of suspicious elements in the Myth of Empires source code:

• The Valve Letter alleges that Myth of Empires purportedly “was built by: (1) stealing the Ark Survival Evolved source code and (2) using the stolen source code as the gameplay foundation for Myth of Empires.”
  • The allegations quoted in paragraph 11, above, are false.
  • Exhibit 1 does not present any material or substantial quantity of Myth of Empires software code, but attaches a document that (i) misleadingly presents, out of order, an extremely small set of “names” that exist in Myth of Empires source code; and (ii) omits software code that actually drives the operation of Myth of Empires including the “gameplay mechanics” referred to in Exhibit 1.
  • The “names” referred to in Exhibit 1 are not copyrightable and are not subject to copyright control in any event.
View : : :
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: Myth of Empires Strikes Back
Dec 15, 2021, 12:02
Re: Myth of Empires Strikes Back Dec 15, 2021, 12:02
Dec 15, 2021, 12:02

Only one way to solve this, present your code to be analyzed. If your innocent, then you will be cleared, but seeing how this is a Chinese company. you can bet they are dirty ass guilty. So, either put up or shut up.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Dec 15, 2021, 12:55
Re: Myth of Empires Strikes Back Dec 15, 2021, 12:55
Dec 15, 2021, 12:55

I would imagine Valve wouldn't be doing this on a whim or just the say so of the Ark devs.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. Black, with a side of prune danish." - Gilbert Gottfried

Dec 15, 2021, 13:16
Re: Myth of Empires Strikes Back Dec 15, 2021, 13:16
Dec 15, 2021, 13:16

Darks wrote on Dec 15, 2021, 12:02:
Only one way to solve this, present your code to be analyzed. If your innocent, then you will be cleared, but seeing how this is a Chinese company. you can bet they are dirty ass guilty. So, either put up or shut up.

Yup, and as someone who is AWESOME at finding loopholes, can anyone spot the loopholes with what they only refer to as "gameplay mechanics". Whoops I spoiled it.
But I love the very specific "using stolen source code as the gameplay foundation" word usage. Example: FIFA and Battlefield and Dragon's Age have very different gameplay mechanics, but share some of the same code. Same could be said for the many Unreal games out there.

New lawsuit to tide me over until the next Apple/Epic appeal.
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer