Out of the Blue

Today is the 80th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that drew the US into World War II. In his December 8th speech requesting a declaration of war, President Roosevelt called December 7th "a date which [sic] will live in infamy." Its infamy may have faded over the years, but the date still stands out for many, myself included. Here's a respectful salute to the fallen.

Obituary: Derby winner Medina Spirit collapses, dies in California.
Obituary: Jaques Tits, the mathematician behind Tits buildings, the Tits alternative, the Tits group, and the Tits metric, has died at 91.

Infamous Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: John Oliver
Dec 8, 2021, 20:22
Kxmode

Re: John Oliver Dec 8, 2021, 20:22
Dec 8, 2021, 20:22
 Kxmode

Greentiger wrote on Dec 8, 2021, 05:24:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 7, 2021, 18:50:
Are we past the point where anything from LWT with John Oliver needs an NSFW label, or am I just being naïve to believe this one clip is SFW*?

*By the way I work from home. So I guess it should be Not/Safe For Me.

Well, it is hosted by HBO, I would take it as expected mature language and or imagery are potentially present.

Though he makes good points always. ChexQuest was and still is marketing brilliance.
Good to know. I asked because the language was censored when LWT first appeared on YouTube. Somewhere along the line, HBO got lazy and let it roll unedited. That's when I stopped watching. While I would like to hear what John Oliver says about non-political things (and only those things), I'm not subjecting my ears to such language. John's a brilliant guy. I'm sure he can come up with funny color metaphor alternatives to the censored stuff or make something up that has no meaning but sounds funny. Make it the show's Made-Up Word from Last Week, Tonight™.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Re: John Oliver
Dec 8, 2021, 05:24
Re: John Oliver Dec 8, 2021, 05:24
Dec 8, 2021, 05:24

Kxmode wrote on Dec 7, 2021, 18:50:
Are we past the point where anything from LWT with John Oliver needs an NSFW label, or am I just being naïve to believe this one clip is SFW*?

Well it is hosted by HBO, I would take it as expected mature language and or imagery are potentially present.

Though he makes good points always. ChexQuest was and still is marketing brilliance.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Re: OotB: Infamous
Dec 7, 2021, 19:20
Rigs

Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 19:20
Dec 7, 2021, 19:20
 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2021, 16:14:
And you'd think they'd have good ol' American filtered coffee but no. I haven't had a cup of regular old Joe in a month now and I'd just about be willing to kill someone for just one cup. Seriously, even US chains here like Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts only sell espresso based coffee.

Here's a tip, Cutter...find the greasiest, most average or low-income joint you can in Paris (you might have to go outside the city a bit) and you'll find what you seek. That's always been my golden rule for coffee, drop-dead delicious greasy cheeseburgers, breakfasts and pizza. If it's a hole in the wall that only locals know about, you've found your prize. Good luck. Ahoy

=-Rigs-=
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

John Oliver
Dec 7, 2021, 18:50
Kxmode

John Oliver Dec 7, 2021, 18:50
Dec 7, 2021, 18:50
 Kxmode

"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Fun
Dec 7, 2021, 18:42
Fun Dec 7, 2021, 18:42
Dec 7, 2021, 18:42

Yesterday morning it was raining pretty hard, and just as I got to my desk and logged into the PC, BOOM! lightning struck right outside. I saw the flash, heard the boom and the power went out all in one instant. I have a UPS, so the PC stayed up, but I shut it down, then I went to shut down the UPS and noticed all the lights on the cable modem were off. I hoped it was OK, but there was nothing I could do until the power was restored. It was about 4pm when they restored power, and as I feared, the cable modem was dead. Not only that, but my router got toasted too, actually just the Ethernet ports were.

I went to Walmart hoping they sold cable modems and routers, otherwise I'd have to wait and drive 60 miles to my nearest Best Buy. Luckily Walmart had them. They had the same brand, but a newer model, of the cable modem I was replacing. My old router had an OpenWRT on it. I picked a new router and hoped to get lucky that it would support OpenWRT, but it doesn't. This router I picked kind of sucks, so I've ordered one from Amazon that works with OpenWRT and taking this one back when it gets here.

I wanted to set up the router before connecting it to the cable modem. When I fist plugged the PC into the router, Windows was not detecting a cable connected, and I was beginning to fear that the Ethernet port on my PC was fried too. The light on the modem lit up when I plugged the PC in, so it was detecting a connection on the port. I was able to connect to the WiFi with my tablet, but it would not let me access the router page from the tablet, and told me to install the Android app. Brood Eventually I got the Ethernet sorted out, but it was on some quick setup page and told me to connect to the internet and sign into or create a Linksys account. Yousaidwhat

I pressed the factory reset button on the modem and tried again. Apparently when I connected with the tablet, even though it told me to use the App and wouldn't let me access it in Firefox, it started the quick setup. After the reset, when I connected from the PC, this time I had an option to do a quick setup or manual configuration. I'm finally back up and running, but out of $150 and a day wasted fixing shit.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 7, 2021, 16:30
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 16:30
Dec 7, 2021, 16:30

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 7, 2021, 15:42:
AWS is currently experiencing a major outage so if a lot of the web is fucked up for you right now, that would be why.

Yup. The Ring app has been down since early this morning, and so is the app that monitors my pool.

- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Dec 7, 2021, 16:14
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 16:14
Dec 7, 2021, 16:14

Huh, didn't even occur to me it was the Pearl Harbor anniversary today. And here I went and had Japanese for dinner tonight - and it was mighty good even if Pearl Harbor was bad. Man does Paris ever have a glut of Asian restaurants. Honestly, you can't throw a stone without hitting one.

Back at the hotel now they're showing a - French obviously - documentary on Pearl Harbor on the TV, so it would seem France remembers.

Had dinner at Joe Allen's Paris last night and that was a bit surreal. They play classic American rock but it's all done by cover bands. The waitress was actually from Minnesota and she thought it was really bizarre at first too. And the French couple beside me both ordered ribs and then proceeded to eat them with cutlery. So weird.

And you'd think they'd have good ol' American filtered coffee but no. I haven't had a cup of regular old Joe in a month now and I'd just about be willing to kill someone for just one cup. Seriously, even US chains here like Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts only sell espresso based coffee.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2021, 16:26.
"Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?" - Captain Clarence Oveur

Dec 7, 2021, 15:42
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 15:42
Dec 7, 2021, 15:42

AWS is currently experiencing a major outage so if a lot of the web is fucked up for you right now, that would be why.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Dec 7, 2021, 15:36
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 15:36
Dec 7, 2021, 15:36

They should ban horse and animal racing. Of course they are doping. A 3 year old colt doesn't fall dead of a heart attack on its own. Shameful. Poor animals. Hope the owners and trainer go to jail instead of a small little fine they can afford.

Dec 7, 2021, 13:57
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 13:57
Dec 7, 2021, 13:57

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 7, 2021, 12:16:
In a somewhat timely manner Military Ends Pearl Harbor Project to Identify the Dead (possibly pay-walled). Amazingly they did identify all but 33 of the remains. Although it makes you wonder what happen with the 33. I mean you would kind of assume the military knew the names of everyone present (or at least possibly present) and/or "missing". Could they not find relatives of 33 members? Perhaps they couldn't get useful DNA out of 33 of the remains?
The 33.
A Netflix Original Series.

Dec 7, 2021, 12:16
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 12:16
Dec 7, 2021, 12:16

In a somewhat timely manner Military Ends Pearl Harbor Project to Identify the Dead (possibly pay-walled). Amazingly they did identify all but 33 of the remains. Although it makes you wonder what happen with the 33. I mean you would kind of assume the military knew the names of everyone present (or at least possibly present) and/or "missing". Could they not find relatives of 33 members? Perhaps they couldn't get useful DNA out of 33 of the remains?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 7, 2021, 11:50
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 11:50
Dec 7, 2021, 11:50

Whether it’s chronic traumatic encephalopathy or exploded horse hearts - Americas love affair with rigged sports claims another victim.

@Jdreyer
Did you lose power on the big island ?
You never know what you’ll find when researching what to do with leftover gallons of pee.
More from NPR Phosphorus Starts With Pee In This Tale Of Scientific Serendipity
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Dec 7, 2021, 11:33
Re: OotB: Infamous Dec 7, 2021, 11:33
Dec 7, 2021, 11:33

So I guess you could say that Jacques Tits went...tits up.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older