Out of the Blue

Well, our booster mission was a mixed bag. Turns out they only had the J&J shots. MrsBlue opted to get one, while I decided to stay the course and continue to seek out a Moderna or Pfizer vaccine. There are places offering walk-ins, so I think I'll see how I can do with that. The pharmacy we tried yesterday was in a Wal-Mart. This seemed like a strange place to congregate to be safer from the pandemic, but it was actually a surprisingly smooth and professional experience. I would go back there if I found out they have one of the other boosters.

Also, happy birthday to long-time friend of the site Redwood. I'd tell you how old he is, but we'd have to saw him in half to count the rings.

Unboosted Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Boostless
Dec 3, 2021, 09:27
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 3, 2021, 09:27
Dec 3, 2021, 09:27

Thanks! That was a fun event, and sadly still my only trip to NYC.

Here's Why Movie Dialogue Has Gotten More Difficult To Understand
Dec 3, 2021, 05:53
Here's Why Movie Dialogue Has Gotten More Difficult To Understand Dec 3, 2021, 05:53
Dec 3, 2021, 05:53

I thought it was just me. I had a hearing test a couple of years ago (unrelated) and the doctor told me my hearing was better than an average person half my age. It's not just movies, but TV. I thought maybe it was compression in streaming, but it happens in blu-ray movies also.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 2, 2021, 20:27
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 20:27
Dec 2, 2021, 20:27

Bent wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 17:39:
Well, the second US case of the omicron variant was in a guy who just returned from an anime con with 53,000 people in New York.
New York officials confirm 5 cases of omicron Covid variant in NYC metro area
it's here

"We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It's going to be just fine."
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Dec 2, 2021, 19:43
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 19:43
Dec 2, 2021, 19:43

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 19:25:
A recent peer reviewed study thoroughly confirms that conferred immunity by prayer warriors dwindles to naught in that time frame.
I think this sums it up.
He's a genius.
Burrito of Peace

Dec 2, 2021, 19:42
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 19:42
Dec 2, 2021, 19:42

Happy Birthday Redwood (aka Sean Martin?) Met him only once at that NYC LAN event Ground Zero. Also met Killcreek and the Romero that day too. Fun times.

Dec 2, 2021, 19:36
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 19:36
Dec 2, 2021, 19:36

Here's Why Movie Dialogue Has Gotten More Difficult To Understand (And Three Ways To Fix It).

I blame mumblecore.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Dec 2, 2021, 19:25
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 19:25
Dec 2, 2021, 19:25

WannaLogAlready wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 16:57:
"Many Severe Covid-19 Survivors Go on to Die Within a Year, Study Finds."
A statistic tragically confirmed by our own BoP.

A recent peer reviewed study thoroughly confirms that conferred immunity by prayer warriors dwindles to naught in that time frame.
I think this sums it up.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Dec 2, 2021, 18:58
Enahs

Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 18:58
Dec 2, 2021, 18:58
 Enahs

The Flying Penguin wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 12:38:
We got all our primary and boosters at Walmart (Moderna in our case) and yeah, they seem to be better staffed and manage it better than the local Walgreens. Was also nice that I could fill out all the paperwork online and just come in and get the shot.

I have a pharmacists friend. He says by far the best and most sought after retail pharmacist position is at WalMart pharmacies,when discussing the big chains. They pay more than the other major chains, have better benefits, and have more support staff per pharmacists to spread the work out and keep things from being as hectic.

And I got my booster shot ~3 weeks ago.Was super easy around here. Just scheduled it online at the local Kroger Pharmacy and did it while shopping.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Dec 2, 2021, 17:39
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 17:39
Dec 2, 2021, 17:39

Well, the second US case of the omicron variant was in a guy who just returned from an anime con with 53,000 people in New York.There was a long list of serious issues regarding the organizers not following basic COVID procedures.

Apparently they were somehow completely unprepared for the size of the crowds. Those 53,000 people were packed in like sardines. It was also alleged that they stopped checking for vaccination status and just started tossing the COVID wristbands into the crowds.

Even while they were still checking, the openly advertised that they would allow people who had just got their first COVID shot minutes before they attended. The shots take about 2 weeks to be seriously effective.

On the positive side, the guy was fully vaccinated and only experienced mild symptoms.

Edit: Aha. Apparently there was a last minute issue with the venue and much resulting chaos right before the con started.

Dec 2, 2021, 16:57
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 16:57
Dec 2, 2021, 16:57

"Many Severe Covid-19 Survivors Go on to Die Within a Year, Study Finds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2YiXekG23I

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2021, 17:08.

Dec 2, 2021, 13:07
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 13:07
Dec 2, 2021, 13:07

Heard on NPR.
Approximately 5% of people who get covid will suffer from long covid, easily several million people. The symptoms of long covid are myriad. Some with long covid experience a decrease in symptoms after a year.

FYI
The cherry picked data DeSatanis of Florida spews about how they have the best covid is bovine stercus.
Fact Check: Does Florida Now Have Lowest Daily U.S. COVID Cases Per Capita?

A second case of the latest flavor has showed up in Minnesota. happy happy joy joy
Burrito of Peace

Dec 2, 2021, 12:38
Re: OotB: Boostless Dec 2, 2021, 12:38
Dec 2, 2021, 12:38

We got all our primary and boosters at Walmart (Moderna in our case) and yeah, they seem to be better staffed and manage it better than the local Walgreens. Was also nice that I could fill out all the paperwork online and just come in and get the shot.
-----
Film Sound:
Great article. As a former sound engineer (mainly live stage work, although I've done a few commercials) I can appreciate the problems. Even with stage work, it was always a battle to get microphones placed properly, and try to balance orchestra vs voices. The directors rarely really understand sound, and they just assume we can do it all magically.

The 'familiarity' problem is something that really IS a problem in my experience doing stage work. I've heard the show a dozen times now, I'm intimately familiar with the lines. I understand it, but can the audience understand it, and am I just hearing what I expect to hear? This was a constant issue I had to be conscious of.

The article really covers all the fine points. I can only imagine the nightmare it must be to do sound on a modern film. Good read.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2021, 13:01.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older