ActiBlizz Activist Resigns

A tweet from Jessica Gonzalez announces her resignation from Blizzard Entertainment (thanks Eurogamer). She has been involved in pushing for the removal of Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick over the ongoing sexual harassment scandal that's engulfed the company (her username includes the #FireBobbyKotick hashtag). This sentiment is apparently viral, as there's also a group pushing for Kotick's removal from Coke's Board. Jessica says she is leaving game development entirely, and takes a parting shot on the way out:
My commitment to my Future…

Hello ABK,

Unfortunately, this is a goodbye message. It's been a long journey over the years, and I have made the decision to leave Blizzard by putting my well-being first. I've accepted an opportunity that is too good to pass up. I'll still be moving into a senior quality engineering role for a financial tech company, and out of Game Development entirely.

I regret that I couldn't meet my colleagues under better circumstances, but I take our shared vision for diversity, equity, inclusion, and worker's rights with me and value the work that we've done during my time here. For those of you thankful for my voice, I encourage you to find yours and use it. There are good people in the industry, and I believe with enough education and awareness ABK can be a great place to be. There's lots of work to do still and I am mentally wounded from this fight. It's been a long and exhausting road for change, but it isn't over.

Don't forget what so many passionate developers worked hard towards and continued to work towards in my absence. Let your passion and the passion of those around you drive the spark that ignites meaningful change. I believe in the good people in this company and can't wait to see where you all can take it.

To @bkotick: Your inaction and refusal to take accountability is driving out great talent and the products will suffer until you are removed from your position as CEO. This may seem harsh, but you had years to fix the culture and look at where the community currently stands.

My last day is December 10th.

Every voice matters,

Jessica Gonzales
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns
Dec 3, 2021, 01:53
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 3, 2021, 01:53
Dec 3, 2021, 01:53

Teddy wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 18:27:
drloser wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 02:12:
Teddy wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 21:03:
MrBone wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 17:00:
Most people just want to do their job and live their lives in peace. I can't imagine being around someone that yells in your ear at 3am because the trash wasn't taken out or the toilet wasn't flushed correctly. I hope she find peace somewhere.
I hope I'm reading this wrong, but are you seriously equating 'not taking out the trash' with sexually harassing employees? How utterly dismissive of a HUGE issue.
Yes, you're right Teddy, we should cancel MrBone!
Living up to your name, I see. If you don't see the problem with minimizing the significance of sexual harassment in the workplace, then honestly your opinion isn't worth listening to. I'm sure you thought that was some sort of clever quip, but really it does nothing but show your own ignorance.
I don't understand why you insult me. I agree with you and everything you say goes in my direction: we should cancel MrBone. You should follow Beamer advice: "utilize the Ignore list", cancel him!

Dec 2, 2021, 20:46
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 2, 2021, 20:46
Dec 2, 2021, 20:46

I'm sure glad writing FUCK is not intolerant

Dec 2, 2021, 20:01
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 2, 2021, 20:01
Dec 2, 2021, 20:01

Most people just want to do their job and live their lives in peace. I can't imagine being around someone that yells in your ear at 3am because the trash wasn't taken out or the toilet wasn't flushed correctly. I hope she find peace somewhere.

I hope I'm reading this wrong, but are you seriously equating 'not taking out the trash' with sexually harassing employees? How utterly dismissive of a HUGE issue.

It's worse. I read it as she was the one being attacked over those things. You may have picked up, but yeah, he's equating her complaining about sexual harassment to a woman complaining about the garbage not being taken out

I recommend everyone take the garbage out as I did and utilize the Ignore list. Some people are just entirely disconnected from reality and live in a world where only complaints they could have are valid, and complaints that could be against them are trivial

Dec 2, 2021, 18:27
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 2, 2021, 18:27
Dec 2, 2021, 18:27

drloser wrote on Dec 2, 2021, 02:12:

Living up to your name, I see. If you don't see the problem with minimizing the significance of sexual harassment in the workplace, then honestly your opinion isn't worth listening to. I'm sure you thought that was some sort of clever quip, but really it does nothing but show your own ignorance.

Dec 2, 2021, 02:12
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 2, 2021, 02:12
Dec 2, 2021, 02:12

Dec 1, 2021, 21:03
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 21:03
Dec 1, 2021, 21:03

Dec 1, 2021, 17:00
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 17:00
Dec 1, 2021, 17:00

Dec 1, 2021, 16:13
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 16:13
Dec 1, 2021, 16:13

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 14:07:
Citizen P wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 11:27:
Getting out of gamedev is usually the best choice if you have any self-interest. Eventually. Definitely a sweetspot between those two points, but leaving is usually for the best.
I got out in the early 2000's and never looked back. I was just a young contractor back then, but getting anyone to pay me was near impossible. Firaxis still owes me a few thousand.

That said, there's no need to get out of the industry, the Indie scene is what's driving things forward these days, not the AAA studios. This bullshit is pretty much non-existent on small indie teams.

I think that's the real distinction, small teams are fine because everyone has game work to do, until eventually someone (likely a senior or a founder) spends more time managing the team and the increasing obligations of keeping everyone employed: eventually they have to manage the company, its employees and their collective future and less about making games. As the team grows, it ages, and their requirements are going to change. I imagine that happened at Kiel: if your game doesn't hit, everyone loses their job, or someone throws you some money and everyone gets to work on one or two more games in relative peace until it dissolves into a corporate game factory. Burn out or fade away? I think the employees and their families would like a predictable fade out.

Dec 1, 2021, 15:43
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 15:43
Dec 1, 2021, 15:43

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 15:04:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 12:33:
She's pretty strong headed thats for sure.

I wonder if this is a career limiting move or will be the catalyst for better future for her... time will tell.

A good friend of mine was a game Producer for 25 years (can't mention who it is) and even at his old age, he got so tired of the change in the industry that he decided to get out of the vid game industry and do something a bit more helpful. He basically said that all the creativity and passion is gone and it's all about numbers now, so he couldn't do what he wanted to do and what he specialized in anymore (i.e. his skills no longer apply). So he was basically forced to change industries due to conflict of interest. He did experience a big pay cut due to some inexperience, but he says that he's much happier now. And this is a guy that shipped quite a few successful triple-A games.

It happens all the time when an industry experiences so much growth.

Funny you say that, I also have a good friend who is a game developer and he got out too because of the politics and many other reasons too.

And he owned his own company, and you all have played his games. I was so sad to see him shut it down.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Dec 1, 2021, 15:15
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 15:15
Dec 1, 2021, 15:15

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 15:11:
A good friend of mine was a game Producer for 25 years (can't mention who it is) and even at his old age, he got so tired of the change in the industry that he decided to get out of the vid game industry and do something a bit more helpful. He basically said that all the creativity and passion is gone and it's all about numbers now, so he couldn't do what he wanted to do and what he specialized in anymore (i.e. his skills no longer apply). So he was basically forced to change industries due to conflict of interest. He did experience a big pay cut due to some inexperience, but he says that he's much happier now. And this is a guy that shipped quite a few successful triple-A games.

Again, I think it is the company size. I bet if you go to Coffee Stain Studios (creators of Satisfactory) you'll find a lot of creativity and passion for what they are doing. At big companies you'd be lucky to find any.

That's because they've gone corporate or the simple minded likes to say, sell out. They're in it now to make investors happy and care about $$$ over quality. When a company cares about $$$ over quality, that means it cares about $$$ over its employees because if they care what their employees opinions were on their products, they probably wouldn't be shipping out as soon as they do.

Blizzard North was king (and the last of probably can do no wrong Blizzard) but it went down the tubes once it exploded in growth and joint with Activision. I'd have to imagine you would blame that on management who oversees everything including the hiring process. Oh and with management, you have a CEO for a reason... if he can't lead the ship properly, nothing else will matter.

Dec 1, 2021, 15:11
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 15:11
Dec 1, 2021, 15:11

Again, I think it is the company size. I bet if you go to Coffee Stain Studios (creators of Satisfactory) you'll find a lot of creativity and passion for what they are doing. At big companies you'd be lucky to find any.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Dec 1, 2021, 15:10
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 15:10
Dec 1, 2021, 15:10

Good for her. I've been in a position where I hated the work culture and saw zero change coming. The best you can do is gtfo. I know it's not always easy for everyone to just get up and leave (I wasn't in any position to just quit on the spot), like you should obviously have another job in line before quitting, but be aggressive in trying to get out. Hit up multiple interviews until one works out for you. The feeling of finally getting out of a toxic environment is liberating as f**k.

Dec 1, 2021, 15:04
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 15:04
Dec 1, 2021, 15:04

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 12:33:
She's pretty strong headed thats for sure.

I wonder if this is a career limiting move or will be the catalyst for better future for her... time will tell.

Dec 1, 2021, 14:55
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 14:55
Dec 1, 2021, 14:55

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 14:31:
That said, there's no need to get out of the industry, the Indie scene is what's driving things forward these days, not the AAA studios. This bullshit is pretty much non-existent on small indie teams.
Yep. The BS quotient goes up the bigger the company is. Unfortunately I think it is an unavoidable consequence. There are just too many idiots and assholes in the world. It has little to do with the nature of being game developers and everything to with the nature of the human condition.
Yep. Sadly, sociopaths climb the corporate/political ladder faster than most, because they don't care whose fingers they step on to move up.

removed
Dec 1, 2021, 14:54
removed Dec 1, 2021, 14:54
Dec 1, 2021, 14:54

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Dec 1, 2021, 15:42. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)

Dec 1, 2021, 14:31
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 14:31
Dec 1, 2021, 14:31

Yep. The BS quotient goes up the bigger the company is. Unfortunately I think it is an unavoidable consequence. There are just too many idiots and assholes in the world. It has little to do with the nature of being game developers and everything to with the nature of the human condition.

Dec 1, 2021, 14:07
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 14:07
Dec 1, 2021, 14:07

Citizen P wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 11:27:
Getting out of gamedev is usually the best choice if you have any self-interest. Eventually. Definitely a sweetspot between those two points, but leaving is usually for the best.
I got out in the early 2000's and never looked back. I was just a young contractor back then, but getting anyone to pay me was near impossible. Firaxis still owes me a few thousand.

Dec 1, 2021, 14:01
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 14:01
Dec 1, 2021, 14:01

Everything woke turns to 💩.

Dec 1, 2021, 13:49
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 13:49
Dec 1, 2021, 13:49

gommerstrike wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 12:50:
But if you're a woman...well...there's a term that my friends joked around, "clam slam" but don't kill me, I didn't come up with that term!
I like it. But then I am a "dirty old man".

Dec 1, 2021, 12:52
Re: ActiBlizz Activist Resigns Dec 1, 2021, 12:52
Dec 1, 2021, 12:52

Cram wrote on Dec 1, 2021, 10:37:
Good for her.
I hope others, who are motivated too, find something new and abandon that ship.

The industry is a small one. Where-ever you go you'll see many of the same people. All your past buds from Westwood Studios, Origin, Sierra...they're everywhere, whether it's at Blizzard, EA, UBIsoft, Riot Games...you'll still bump into the same people you love and hate.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older