Re: Black Friday Tech Bits
Nov 29, 2021, 02:58
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 29, 2021, 02:58
Nov 29, 2021, 02:58

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 27, 2021, 00:02:
[...]
Video
VLC
(Solus ships with Gnome MPV which...is OK, I guess, but it lacks the deep support set of VLC)
[...]

Hmm? That's really weird. I remember switching to mpv because I had some video files that were not working with VLC. Maybe it was a one time thing.
Now we donce.

Nov 27, 2021, 00:05
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 27, 2021, 00:05
Nov 27, 2021, 00:05

Thanks for the tips BoP!

Nov 27, 2021, 00:02
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 27, 2021, 00:02
Nov 27, 2021, 00:02

This is a far more recent review of Solus and better represents the state of it today:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/solus-os-review/

If someone decides to try Solus, here are some recommendations:

Video
VLC
(Solus ships with Gnome MPV which...is OK, I guess, but it lacks the deep support set of VLC)

Audio playback
Audacious
Sayonara
(Solus ships with Rhythmbox which isn't my cup of tea and I think, overall, Sayonara is a better audio player. Audacious is more stripped down if minimalism is your thing.)
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Nov 26, 2021, 23:02
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 23:02
Nov 26, 2021, 23:02

https://www.theregister.com/2016/03/08/solus_linux_review/
Never heard of it.
Of course i never heard of PoP either until BoP mentioned it.
Ah this sheltered life.
On a side note, i sure like turkey on thickly mayonnaised white bread sandwiches.😋
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Nov 26, 2021, 22:25
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 22:25
Nov 26, 2021, 22:25

Simon Says wrote on Nov 26, 2021, 18:06:
But someone would know if he had watched the video(s) so someone is either cherry picking or hasn't watched it/them.

You mean like this:
Luke I will give credit to because he at least tried some things instead of whining and I admit there are some paper cuts that do need to be ironed out.

Any recommendations for a good "it just works as much as possible" for gaming distro?

Pop_OS! is one and Solus is another. Both work well with my System76 Gazelle that has hybrid graphics. I prefer the Budgie (flagship) edition of Solus when it comes to using that distro.

"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Nov 26, 2021, 20:39
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 20:39
Nov 26, 2021, 20:39

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2021, 20:09:
Videos got me curious tho. So since I'm planning on adding a second NVMe drive soon. Think I'll try to dual-boot for a while and tinker with Linux.

Any recommendations for a good "it just works as much as possible" for gaming distro?
He's going to need more info.
On my Nvidia 3060 equipped laptop The Burrito of Pontification recommended PoP OS because they make a specific Nvidia version (Pop!_OS ISO Image (NVIDIA)) that requires less handholding to get Nvidia up and running.

I gathered bits and pieces from the internet including following sites.
https://bln364.com/dual-boot-pop-os-and-windows-10/ Did not use grub to handle the dual boot menu and went with PoPOS dual boot menu called "systemd-boot" and to add the Windows Boot Manager as a choice to systemd-boot I had to do the following because DELL did some weirdness in the Bios.

make Windows appear in the boot menu
Basically I had to mount the 250 meg (Or whatever size small partition your system has) windows efi partition and copied the Microsoft folder to linux partitions /boot/efi/EFI

Also had an issue with the system clock but it was easily remedied by googling it.
Get the system clock the same in both Windows and Linux:
Fixing the System Clock
Windows and Linux store their time in the UEFI firmware differently. This can cause the clock to become desynchronized when you switch from one OS to the other.

The solution i used was to fix it in Linux, forcing it to work the same way as Windows. Set the option using this command: timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

Planning on bypassing the dual-boot problem entirely by just choosing which drive I want to boot from directly in the bios. Don't know if you can still do that tho. If it fails, that info could be useful.

I'm on Nvidia too, so noting that PopOS version. Thanks mate.

Nov 26, 2021, 20:09
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 20:09
Nov 26, 2021, 20:09

Videos got me curious tho. So since I'm planning on adding a second NVMe drive soon. Think I'll try to dual-boot for a while and tinker with Linux.

He's going to need more info.
On my Nvidia 3060 equipped laptop The Burrito of Pontification recommended PoP OS because they make a specific Nvidia version (Pop!_OS ISO Image (NVIDIA)) that requires less handholding to get Nvidia up and running.

I gathered bits and pieces from the internet including following sites.
https://bln364.com/dual-boot-pop-os-and-windows-10/ Did not use grub to handle the dual boot menu and went with PoPOS dual boot menu called "systemd-boot" and to add the Windows Boot Manager as a choice to systemd-boot I had to do the following because DELL did some weirdness in the Bios.

make Windows appear in the boot menu
Basically I had to mount the 250 meg (Or whatever size small partition your system has) windows efi partition and copied the Microsoft folder to linux partitions /boot/efi/EFI

Also had an issue with the system clock but it was easily remedied by googling it.
Get the system clock the same in both Windows and Linux:
Fixing the System Clock
Windows and Linux store their time in the UEFI firmware differently. This can cause the clock to become desynchronized when you switch from one OS to the other.

The solution i used was to fix it in Linux, forcing it to work the same way as Windows. Set the option using this command: timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

Burrito of Peace

Nov 26, 2021, 18:06
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 18:06
Nov 26, 2021, 18:06

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 26, 2021, 15:39:
But others? It's because he's like a kid with ADHD and an unlimited supply of Pixie Sticks. He creates his own problems and then blames literally anything else but himself.

Except he isn't the only one who tried to make it work. His main editor guy who is certainly not "a kid with ADHD" had a very bumpy ride too.

But someone would know if he had watched the video(s) so someone is either cherry picking or hasn't watched it/them.

To be fair tho, it kinda reminded my of my days with DOS way back when you had to manually configure everything, from autoexec.bat, config.sys, then game audio with the right ports and same thing for modem. Sometimes even having to enter the correct strings for the modem and other stuff before finally playing that game or using an app.

And back then I was ok with it, but back then I also loved re-installing an OS, tinkering endlessly, or troubleshooting my computer and my friends computers.

Nowadays I prefer when "it just works".

Nov 26, 2021, 16:05
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 16:05
Nov 26, 2021, 16:05

There are 28,000 comments between those 2. That's over 8x more than the average LTT video.
Of course half of those are coming from a central texas ip. WiNk Evilgrin

Edit
You know what's funny. I was using a plain jane cHeApO Logitech mouse and POpOS immediately told me that the battery was low. Booted back into Windows 10 and nary a peep about the dying rodent.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2021, 16:17.
Burrito of Peace

Nov 26, 2021, 15:39
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 15:39
Nov 26, 2021, 15:39

Linus does have some legitimate gripes, I will absolutely agree to some of them.

But others? It's because he's like a kid with ADHD and an unlimited supply of Pixie Sticks. He creates his own problems and then blames literally anything else but himself.

"Waaaaa! This isn't exactly like what I am used to!" No shit, Sherlock. I don't bitch that a motorcycle doesn't operate or drive like my Lightning. Apparently basic literacy isn't one of his strong suits. Like in the first part of the series, he literally bricks his own installation because he doesn't read what the warning on screen tells him is going to happen...and then he acts shocked that what he was warned about explicitly happens. It's like being shocked when Windows doesn't boot because something you installed said "Hey, I am going to delete C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64. Go ahead?" Then you tell it to go ahead. Should the package manager have protected him from his own stupidity? That's up for philosophical debate.

The whining about "I had to read how to run a shell command and then I got some errors" was another perfect example of this. What errors? Did you not investigate those errors? Barring some legitimately crappy software, most error outputs tell you why the error happened.

Then there's the whole "I had to download a file as an html file and then rename it to .sh". Uh, maybe try using a browser that doesn't automatically change your file extension? I found the exact repository on GitHub that he downloaded from and downloaded the same install.sh. Both Firefox and Brave downloaded the .sh file.

This slapdash, half-assed attempt of his is beyond annoying. Luke I will give credit to because he at least tried some things instead of whining and I admit there are some paper cuts that do need to be ironed out.

Nov 26, 2021, 14:18
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 14:18
Nov 26, 2021, 14:18

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2021, 14:10:
Dear Linus it’s difficult to find Part 1 when it is titled “Linux HATES Me-Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1”
In fairness it does come up 22 seconds into the intro.

But to your point, there are no fewer than 41 (mostly affiliate) links in the description and not one of them is to the part one video. Here's that, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0506yDSgU7M&ab_channel=LinusTechTips
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Nov 26, 2021, 14:10
Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 26, 2021, 14:10
Nov 26, 2021, 14:10

Dear Linus it’s difficult to find Part 1 when it is titled “Linux HATES Me-Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1”
Burrito of Peace
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older