Battlefield 2042 Roadmap

There's a new Battlefield Briefing about Battlefield 2042, though there's nothing brief about this lengthy post about the military shooter sequel. It outlines the road ahead for the game, describing gameplay changes that will make it suited for launch. Of course the launch happened already, but that's why the post is so large. Update #2 for the game is supposed to arrive tomorrow, a holiday release that suggests great confidence in the patch. A larger update #3 is promised for next month. The missive goes on to discuss problems being tracked with servers and both console and PC hardware. Other topics include gunplay & balance and custom Portal progression. Finally. there are details on what to expect from Updates #2 and #3. Here's what's up first:
On Thursday, we’re releasing Update #2. As shared last week via Battlefield Direct Communication on Twitter, we’re making the following changes:

• Improved Soldier Revives, addressing ‘unable to revive when a Soldier dies close to an object, or wall’.
  • A respawn protection system that will help to prevent any extraneous issues that can leave a player in a downed state for too long, and force a manual respawn when required.
  • Re-enabling our UAV-1 Interaction in Battlefield Portal, available on our Battlefield Bad Company 2 maps. It was overpowered, and we’ve made adjustments to account for that.
  • Vehicle Balancing for the LCAA Hovercraft and MD540 Nightbird mentioned above.
  • Dispersion has been reduced for all weapons except Shotguns, which results in more consistent bullet spread during gameplay.

There are a handful more critical changes that we’re making alongside this update, which we’ll detail in full in our Update Notes on November 24.

With Update #3 arriving early December, we’ll be delivering our biggest update since launch, with significantly more fixes, changes, and more importantly, Quality of Life enhancements due to arrive in the game.

View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Battlefield 2042 Roadmap
Nov 25, 2021, 14:10
Re: Battlefield 2042 Roadmap Nov 25, 2021, 14:10
Nov 25, 2021, 14:10

It's seems AAA's have to metrics they need to hit to satisfy Wall Street, but the second does rely on the first being successful.

The trick is to have both work together.

The first is sell through and that is where 2042 is failing and with that the second micro-trans will suffer.

The thing is 2042 was built to include more beginners into the series, larger sell through and then with the biggest base ever, mico-trans through the roof the rest.

I'm sure this strategy was at the very highest levels of management and well they have now let go the main designer, which probably acted on many metrics those above him gave him, as the base game failed and thus sell through fails and then micro-trans fails. Anthem.

But I'm sure they will be back to figure how to crack this code to get both working vs just worrying about sell through, aka a game people want to buy as the by far most important goal.

Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap
Nov 25, 2021, 11:48
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 25, 2021, 11:48
Nov 25, 2021, 11:48

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 15:05:
People have short memories. Every BF game starts out rough, either balance wise or bug wise, or both. BF2042 has some of that, plus the aforementioned missing features like Kill Feed and Server Scoreboard. It's definitely playable right now though, and it'll get better. I would be really interested in getting a developer explanation on why they removed those two features in particular. It does feed in to rumors that BF2042 started out as a BR or something else before going more traditional BF, but nobody will know for sure unless they literally come out and tell us.

Portal has such a stunning amount of potential that it almost doesn't matter how BF2042 turns out, in my opinion. People already have 'traditional' style BF servers set up there, if you don't want to go through the BF2042 version, and I don't think anybody has really spent the time to make a killer custom server setup yet, but they will eventually.

Bullet spread, comparative weapon damage, etc. all the numbers changes will come. I'd like to see them add more vehicles across the board in vanilla BF2042, but if they don't, there is always Battlefield Portal. More vehicles per map would definitely help with how gigantic the maps feel, in my opinion. It'd also keep infantry way more fearful, as they should be.

Biggest missed opportunity seems like not building BF2042 around the BFV building system, that's the only thing that is really bugging me at the moment. Literally the best change to the series in the past 5 games and they just threw it out.

Ok I will give them credit for network problems but that's it.
Everything else about this game flat out shows they didn't properly TEST anything (Hell anyone remember the video of the QA team for BF3 (and I think 4)?
Everything wrong with this game can be seen in Angry Joe's video of it.
And as Joe said, this was a Early Access game.
And as I said it was released as is for holiday sales. It should have cooked for another year.

EVERY game has potential but this was simple a "FUCK YOU" job by Dice/EA

Nov 25, 2021, 04:10
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 25, 2021, 04:10
Nov 25, 2021, 04:10

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 22:08:
VaranDragon wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 16:52:
The biggest problem is lack of scoreboard and lack of classes. Why would they remove classes? Then there is the lack of variety of weapons. Big maps and 128 players was the draw here but they managed to screw that up too, and the lack of a server lobby is inexcusable. The biggest disappointment is that this is their most successful launch yet. Yeah. They already got your money.

Is it? Seriously, I have not read up on the actual sales states, I thought somebody pasted in one of the threads that BF2042 only sold like 7 million copies, vs 20+ million for BF4 or BF1 or something. Initial sales that is.

Well it's what they are claiming right up there in their roadmap. It might be a pack of lies, but I suspect those numbers for BF4 and BF1 are all time sales, while BF2042 has officially been out for less than a week.

Nov 24, 2021, 22:08
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 22:08
Nov 24, 2021, 22:08

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 16:52:
The biggest problem is lack of scoreboard and lack of classes. Why would they remove classes? Then there is the lack of variety of weapons. Big maps and 128 players was the draw here but they managed to screw that up too, and the lack of a server lobby is inexcusable. The biggest disappointment is that this is their most successful launch yet. Yeah. They already got your money.

Is it? Seriously, I have not read up on the actual sales states, I thought somebody pasted in one of the threads that BF2042 only sold like 7 million copies, vs 20+ million for BF4 or BF1 or something. Initial sales that is.

Nov 24, 2021, 18:21
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 18:21
Nov 24, 2021, 18:21

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 15:05:
People have short memories. Every BF game starts out rough, either balance wise or bug wise, or both. BF2042 has some of that, plus the aforementioned missing features like Kill Feed and Server Scoreboard. It's definitely playable right now though, and it'll get better. I would be really interested in getting a developer explanation on why they removed those two features in particular. It does feed in to rumors that BF2042 started out as a BR or something else before going more traditional BF, but nobody will know for sure unless they literally come out and tell us.

Portal has such a stunning amount of potential that it almost doesn't matter how BF2042 turns out, in my opinion. People already have 'traditional' style BF servers set up there, if you don't want to go through the BF2042 version, and I don't think anybody has really spent the time to make a killer custom server setup yet, but they will eventually.

Bullet spread, comparative weapon damage, etc. all the numbers changes will come. I'd like to see them add more vehicles across the board in vanilla BF2042, but if they don't, there is always Battlefield Portal. More vehicles per map would definitely help with how gigantic the maps feel, in my opinion. It'd also keep infantry way more fearful, as they should be.

Biggest missed opportunity seems like not building BF2042 around the BFV building system, that's the only thing that is really bugging me at the moment. Literally the best change to the series in the past 5 games and they just threw it out.
Yeah, waiting to pick this up until I hear that Portal is functioning well. Pretty much all I'm interested in. Looking for a modern version of AIX2.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Nov 24, 2021, 16:52
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 16:52
Nov 24, 2021, 16:52

Nov 24, 2021, 15:05
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 15:05

Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 15:05

Watch Angry Joes review, it pretty much sums up this disaster.

https://youtu.be/i_vBMbi7qSQ
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Nov 24, 2021, 14:34
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 14:34
Nov 24, 2021, 14:34

I'm waiting till i hear how bad/good it is from Slick.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Nov 24, 2021, 14:28
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 14:28
Nov 24, 2021, 14:28

Avus wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 11:27:
In 2021, scoreboard has become a "LEGACY feature". WTF!?
"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Nov 24, 2021, 14:16
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 14:16
Nov 24, 2021, 14:16

Micas wrote on Nov 24, 2021, 12:57:
It really is crazy how many features from previous games that they dropped. Bugs can be fixed. Terrible design, not so much.

Fucking destiny 2 did this as well.

Videogames suck these days and gamers are too fucking stupid to do anything about it.

If everyone quit BF2042 right now and didn't play it would push their hand to do something.

Nov 24, 2021, 14:01
Verno

Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 14:01
Nov 24, 2021, 14:01
 Verno

I played the trial thanks to Gamepass and saved myself some money - just an utter fucking mess. 128 players is not fun, it just isn't. Maps are way too large with too much dead air running around. Get sniped or etc on your way to a spot? Enjoy the walk again. Continues the awful tradition of having even less original maps than its predecessor. The levolution is pathetic, might as well have not bothered at all, the marketing was totally misleading. Squad teamwork is almost pointless because of operators and there is essentially no balance to the game. There's literally one mode where squad work even matters and it gets old quickly. Operators instead of classes SUCKS, this is not a case of change bad, it's just a terrible fit for a squad based game on this scale. Graphically its very awkward, featuring bizarre visual choices like the overblown bloom on some weapons and stiff animations. Some of the levels manage to impress but then seem to clash badly with the lighting, it almost feels like an emulated game with uprezzed textures. I still can't believe they couldn't be arsed to put in a scoreboard, I don't believe their reasoning on it either. The whole thing screams minimum viable product and I suspect this wasn't even a Battlefield project originally. Did I mention bugs? Everything from despawning entirely, falling through the world, crashes, bizarre physics glitches and even literal teleportation. I've seen some highlight reels from streamers and I can say they soft peddled it a bit.

Been a huge fan of the franchise since the original but just can't do it anymore. BF V was a big regression in so many respects and Dice continues to re-invent the wheel unnecessarily. Many other companies actually iterate and refine their franchises, Dice keeps starting over from nothing every single project. To not even preserve what should be standard libraries like the VoIP stuff is absolutely insane. Getting rid of classes with seemingly zero thought to balance or design points to a total lack of direction on the project. Just a damned shame, this is going to be hugely damaging to the franchise.

I don't know how you can fix this with updates, so many of the games problems are fundamental design issues. This should have never been released at all in it's current state, even if they polished it. It's just a mess and totally devoid of any compelling reason to play.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Nov 24, 2021, 13:21
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 13:21
Nov 24, 2021, 13:21

You can no longer get XP, unlocks from anything but online Conquest or Warzone or Hazard Zone. I'd at least play the bots for my "First match of the day" to max out XP but nope no longer.

Done with this for about a year.

Nov 24, 2021, 12:57
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 12:57
Nov 24, 2021, 12:57

It really is crazy how many features from previous games that they dropped. Bugs can be fixed. Terrible design, not so much.

Nov 24, 2021, 12:01
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 12:01
Nov 24, 2021, 12:01

Yeah not going near this unless all my RL friends and people I game with online join in for some reason. Probably never going to happen.

Nov 24, 2021, 11:27
Re: Battlefield 2042 Update Roadmap Nov 24, 2021, 11:27
Nov 24, 2021, 11:27

another game that is based on the "ROADMAP". When I see this word in a full retail game, I won't touch. I only accept "roadmap" for beta (free) or early access games (a fraction of retail/full price).

I will let you guys to do the paid (to the dev) beta tester.

In 2021, scoreboard has become a "LEGACY feature". WTF!?
Legacy features

BF2042 is definitely cut many "legacy features"
“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older