Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Saturday Mobilization
Nov 22, 2021, 10:19
Verno

Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 22, 2021, 10:19
Nov 22, 2021, 10:19
 Verno

The Flying Penguin wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 10:58:
"I'm stuck an hour away from home because I normally use my phone to start [my] car," one owner tweeted.

Okay, I'm sorry, but if you're too stupid to also carry your car keys, you kind of deserve this.

Agreed. Tesla provides 2x keycards in addition to the phone key functionality. They also sell a FOB on the store if people still want a traditional one. I always keep one key in my wallet with my other ID, the missus has the other.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Nov 22, 2021, 10:02
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 22, 2021, 10:02
Nov 22, 2021, 10:02

The Flying Penguin wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 19:12:
BTW, check your manuals. Most cars DO have a way to start the engine with a dead key fob battery.
It seems that most fobs have a backup RFID system. Some have a slot you slide the fob into, and some have a place you just sit it on, like inside the cup holder.

As for getting in the door, on my wife's car there's an emergency key in the fob, and there's also a combination keypad on the door.

Example: Fob backup locations for Lincoln model cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh_pwo2TRlc

Yep. Mine you just have to hold the fob against the ignition button while pressing it to start the car even if the battery is 100% dead. Not sure how that works, but I know it does as I've had to do it, and the internal key unlocks the doors/trunk. Also don't need any special tools to disassemble it and replace the battery. Honda thought it through well as far as I'm concerned.

Nov 21, 2021, 22:19
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 21, 2021, 22:19
Nov 21, 2021, 22:19

Obviously it is only anecdotal, but I find my 13.5 years of not having an issue sufficient proof of concept.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Nov 21, 2021, 12:58
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 21, 2021, 12:58
Nov 21, 2021, 12:58

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 21, 2021, 11:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 21, 2021, 09:22:
I just put my key in the ignition in my truck, start it, and go.
As a professional curmudgeon I can completely appreciate your stance. When I first got my smart key I was slightly annoyed by it, but now I think it is awesome. As I said, not having to get a key out in the middle of winter is just a huge win.

I mean, I have a keyless entry fob but if it croaks or the battery unexpectedly dies, I can still open the truck with a key and use the vehicle. The couple of seconds I might spend in the dead of winter manually unlocking the door, if needed, seems to be a better trade-off for long term reliability than relying on "cloud" based vehicle authentication and use. Even with my love of vehicles, at the end of the day the key points are being able to haul me, haul my stuff, and get from point A to point B. If any technology prevents any of those three points, the technology is a regression and not a progression.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Nov 21, 2021, 11:52
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 21, 2021, 11:52
Nov 21, 2021, 11:52

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 21:34:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 21:04:
Keep a spare fob battery in your car, and a screwdriver tool on your Keychain so you can change it.
Actually, the system is smart enough it warns me when the battery in the fob is getting low. I've replaced it three or four times now.

In this day and age it should be rechargeable.

Preferably using a socket in the car itself, car warns you, you simply put it in the socket, it charges wirelessly and warns you again when it's full.

But yeah, older model, understandable.

Nov 21, 2021, 11:49
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 21, 2021, 11:49
Nov 21, 2021, 11:49

As a professional curmudgeon I can completely appreciate your stance. When I first got my smart key I was slightly annoyed by it, but now I think it is awesome. As I said, not having to get a key out in the middle of winter is just a huge win.

Nov 21, 2021, 09:38
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 21, 2021, 09:38
Nov 21, 2021, 09:38

If you key doesn’t make or become e-waste what good is it. /rhetorical
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Nov 21, 2021, 09:22
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 21, 2021, 09:22
Nov 21, 2021, 09:22

"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Nov 20, 2021, 21:34
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 21:34
Nov 20, 2021, 21:34

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 21:04:
Keep a spare fob battery in your car, and a screwdriver tool on your Keychain so you can change it.
Actually, the system is smart enough it warns me when the battery in the fob is getting low. I've replaced it three or four times now.

Nov 20, 2021, 21:04
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 21:04
Nov 20, 2021, 21:04

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 19:03:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 18:50:
Yeah, I'm not even a fan of the key fobs. Yes, a lot of them do have a backup key inside, but I don't believe the Tesla ones do(citation needed from a Tesla owner). I don't own a Tesla, I've just seen a couple that people I know own; we haven't gotten into detailed conversations about the entry/ignition, other than they use the phone app.

I bought a car at the end of 2015, and I had to specially order a real key instead of the key fob and push button start. They looked at me like I was crazy at the dealership, but it's available (or at least was) as an option.
I love my smart key, not having to take the key out of jacket or pants pocket is great -- especially in the winter. While mine does have a physical key in it which can be used to open the doors or trunk, there is not a ignition key slot. It is push start only. So, without the smart key the physical key is of limited use. And this is in a 2008 model Nissan.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Nov 20, 2021, 21:01
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 21:01
Nov 20, 2021, 21:01

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 16:57:
I know a couple of people with Teslas, and they don't even have keys for their model. Just a key fob thing, which they invariably leave in the car, and their phone app.

I hate key fobs with a passion, even for ICE vehicles. Keys don't run out of batteries. Same risk of losing/theft as something more complicated too, and not much less protection for theft of vehicle.

I am definitely going EV for my next vehicle, but whether it's a Ford, Tesla, Rivian, or whatever, I sure as shit want a real key, and no remote shutdown ability by the automaker. Which seems to be rapidly being removed from the market.
The other downside to fobs is that thieves can use a frequency duplicator standing by the house, rebroadcast the signal to the car, start it, and steal it. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing this.

I'm lucky that my fob has a physical key built into it. I keep a spare battery in the car, so I can put a new one in if needed.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Nov 20, 2021, 20:03
Jivaro

Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 20:03
Nov 20, 2021, 20:03
 Jivaro

My Escape and my wife's Ecosport have a keypad on the door so that we can use a pin code to get in if the fob dies. Push start so no key needed. I have never felt I have missed anything not having a key.

Nov 20, 2021, 19:43
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 19:43
Nov 20, 2021, 19:43

Tesla give you a credit card sized key card as a key. It needs no power or connectivity or apps. You can put it in your wallet duh. But by the sounds of it these drivers are they type of dumb enough to leave their wallets in the car too.

Nov 20, 2021, 19:12
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 19:12
Nov 20, 2021, 19:12

BTW, check your manuals. Most cars DO have a way to start the engine with a dead key fob battery.
It seems that most fobs have a backup RFID system. Some have a slot you slide the fob into, and some have a place you just sit it on, like inside the cup holder.

As for getting in the door, on my wife's car there's an emergency key in the fob, and there's also a combination keypad on the door.

Example: Fob backup locations for Lincoln model cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh_pwo2TRlc
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Nov 20, 2021, 19:05
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 19:05
Nov 20, 2021, 19:05

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 18:59:
"I'm stuck an hour away from home because I normally use my phone to start [my] car," one owner tweeted.

Okay, I'm sorry, but if you're too stupid to also carry your car keys, you kind of deserve this.
Yes and no. Trusting technology to work is pretty standard for the modern world. Every time you step into an elevator on a high floor of a building you are trusting the technology to not drop you to your death. That said, I would also never be without the key simply because I am cautious about trusting technology too much. The question is where do you draw the line? Do you allow your bank to automatically pay your bills? Plenty of stories of that going awry, but it is SOP for a lot of people.

Well the closest thing I can relate it to that I use is Google Pay. I use Google Pay on my phone, tied to a credit card all the time. However, I still carry a physical credit card with me. Sometimes the POS terminal doesn't want to connect to my phone. Happens once in a while. So there I would be stuck in line with a bunch of stuff and no way to pay for it.
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Nov 20, 2021, 19:03
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 19:03
Nov 20, 2021, 19:03

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 18:50:
Yeah, I'm not even a fan of the key fobs. Yes, a lot of them do have a backup key inside, but I don't believe the Tesla ones do(citation needed from a Tesla owner). I don't own a Tesla, I've just seen a couple that people I know own; we haven't gotten into detailed conversations about the entry/ignition, other than they use the phone app.

I bought a car at the end of 2015, and I had to specially order a real key instead of the key fob and push button start. They looked at me like I was crazy at the dealership, but it's available (or at least was) as an option.
I love my smart key, not having to take the key out of jacket or pants pocket is great -- especially in the winter. While mine does have a physical key in it which can be used to open the doors or trunk, there is not a ignition key slot. It is push start only. So, without the smart key the physical key is of limited use. And this is in a 2008 model Nissan.

Nov 20, 2021, 18:59
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 18:59
Nov 20, 2021, 18:59

Yes and no. Trusting technology to work is pretty standard for the modern world. Every time you step into an elevator on a high floor of a building you are trusting the technology to not drop you to your death. That said, I would also never be without the key simply because I am cautious about trusting technology too much. The question is where do you draw the line? Do you allow your bank to automatically pay your bills? Plenty of stories of that going awry, but it is SOP for a lot of people.

Nov 20, 2021, 18:50
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 18:50
Nov 20, 2021, 18:50

Nov 20, 2021, 18:03
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 18:03
Nov 20, 2021, 18:03

Yeah, well by key I mean a key or a key fob. My wife's new car has a key fob. I do believe if the battery is dead on the fob in this model, you can actually plug the fob into a slot under the wheel to start the car. I'm with you though - I prefer the key my older car uses.

I'd still have that in my pocket instead of just relying on my phone only.

Nov 20, 2021, 16:57
Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 20, 2021, 16:57
Nov 20, 2021, 16:57

I know a couple of people with Teslas, and they don't even have keys for their model. Just a key fob thing, which they invariably leave in the car, and their phone app.

I hate key fobs with a passion, even for ICE vehicles. Keys don't run out of batteries. Same risk of losing/theft as something more complicated too, and not much less protection for theft of vehicle.

I am definitely going EV for my next vehicle, but whether it's a Ford, Tesla, Rivian, or whatever, I sure as shit want a real key, and no remote shutdown ability by the automaker. Which seems to be rapidly being removed from the market.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older