MS on Preserving Game History

Axios has word from Microsoft's Phil Spencer on a vision for how the gaming industry can better preserve its history going forward. The crux of his vision is to enable this through expanded use of software emulation to keep older games playable on newer systems. This is very promising, but of course runs into a problem at the core of the issue. The required support from the rest of the industry:
Yes, but: Rights holders need to buy in.

• Microsoft itself just announced that the addition of 70 more games to its catalog of emulated old Xbox games is likely to be its last, given rights and technical limitations.
  • An official industry emulation approach would require long-term online support to offer game files and to possibly check if the user has the right to access them.
  • Spencer, whose own platform has some of these issues, still sees a path forward. “I think in the end, if we said, ‘Hey, anybody should be able to buy any game, or own any game and continue to play,' that seems like a great North Star for us as an industry.”
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: MS on Preserving Game History
Nov 18, 2021, 19:20
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 19:20
Nov 18, 2021, 19:20

It's sad how many negative comments there are on this article, clearly a lot of ignorance regarding who Phil Spencer is and what he does. His recent statements and decisions are important in this industry, and yes, he's a fan of Steam, even convinced Microsoft to bring PC games to Steam, and owns a Steam Deck. Shocking, I know.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft or consoles, but I am amazed how many of you are just rushing to shit on the man so blindly, especially on a statement like this.

Nov 18, 2021, 19:08
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 19:08
Nov 18, 2021, 19:08

RogueSix wrote on Nov 18, 2021, 08:50:
This reminds me of Steam's history. Steam initially were the bad DRM guys with "outrageous" spying and tracking built into Steam... well, until the day they started having those flash(y) sales. All of a sudden Steam became gamers' best buddy because it gave them games for cheap. DRM and spying was no longer an issue.

You must run in some weird circles, because that wasn't the case at all. Steam's DRM was not the issue at all initially-it was a LOT better than the shit we had to deal with that came on CDs and DVDs like Securom. What people actually didn't like was the wonky offline support and overall roughness of the application.

Nov 18, 2021, 14:16
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 14:16
Nov 18, 2021, 14:16

Yes it will take a larger FPGA in the future to do more advanced PC stuff, but its still pretty amazing for the price I'd say. The packs you mentioned are converted from ExoDOS and work pretty well. I'm just happy to be able to play Ultima 7 and the Hero's Quest/Quest For Glory series to their fullest, with MT-32 sound via the awesome mt32-pi.

I share a lot of experiences from MiSTer on a specific YouTube channel I made for the project here: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiSTerWalrusFPGA

Need to get more DOS videos up, but there's so much cool shit on there its hard to cover everything. Did Wolf3D and Doom w/ Sound Canvas already though ^-^

Nov 18, 2021, 11:46
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 11:46
Nov 18, 2021, 11:46

Beamer wrote on Nov 18, 2021, 09:45:
Man, some of you are really paranoid about consoles.

Thanks to Microsoft treating PC customers like third rate dirt in the past, paranoia has all but become a survival skill for PC gamers .

Nov 18, 2021, 09:45
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 09:45
Nov 18, 2021, 09:45

Man, some of you are really paranoid about consoles.

They're fun. They're relatively cheap. They're simple. The audience is different. The use cases are different.

Nov 18, 2021, 09:15
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 09:15

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 18, 2021, 05:20:
Want proper preservation today? Just put together a MiSTer FPGA. It's the retro device I always hoped for since the early days of emulation, now finally a reality.
I love the mister, but the AO486 core can only reproduce a 486sx. FPGA has a long way to go before it can support winXP era titles. On a side note, the AO486 core has VHDs that have virtually every DOS game ever made... I'm not kidding. It's massive and uses a special indexing program.

Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 09:15

RogueSix wrote on Nov 18, 2021, 08:50:
This reminds me of Steam's history. Steam initially were the bad DRM guys with "outrageous" spying and tracking built into Steam... well, until the day they started having those flash(y) sales. All of a sudden Steam became gamers' best buddy because it gave them games for cheap. DRM and spying was no longer an issue.

Hmmm no, Steam is still a steamy pile of poop AFAIC. And yes, UWP is utter crap too, same for gamepass.

Nov 18, 2021, 08:50
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 08:50
Nov 18, 2021, 08:50

Acleacius wrote on Nov 17, 2021, 23:56:
Bullshit, this all about forcing m$ store, edge and consoles down PC gamers throats.
They always create some fallacy to force people to upgrade.
Malicious lies and promises. Middlefinger

Exactly. Microsoft's mission ever since 2001 (introduction of the first Xbox for the kids who don't remember) has been to convert PC gamers to Xbox gamers. They tried for years and years with shabby tactics like (timed) exclusives or by starting franchises on Xbox and PC but continuing the sequels as Xbox-only games (Gears of War, Halo come to mind). And they failed. PC gamers remained stubborn and PC gaming continued well and alive thanks to Steam and GOG.

So, along the lines of "if the mountain won't come to Mohammed, then let's take Mohammed to the mountain" they switched their strategy towards bringing Xbox to the PC. Just about everything from Microsoft that has to do with gaming on the PC is now called Xbox. It's a small miracle they haven't renamed DirectX yet. And if MS would have had their way with UWP apps (not that long ago) then we would already have a Xbox walled garden on the PC with many severe limitations (like no more modding etc.).

Microsoft can not be trusted at all. It's funny how they all of a sudden turned into the good guys because of GamePass. Oh it's such a good deal, oh it's so awesome. This reminds me of Steam's history. Steam initially were the bad DRM guys with "outrageous" spying and tracking built into Steam... well, until the day they started having those flash(y) sales. All of a sudden Steam became gamers' best buddy because it gave them games for cheap. DRM and spying was no longer an issue.

Same thing with GamePass. Microsoft became gamers' best buddy over night because of cheap games. I'm afraid that people will even swallow UWP level (or even harder) limitations as long as the games are cheap. We will see when GamePass reaches a critical mass and when it becomes irreplaceable for gamers. Then the Microsoft trap will snap shut.

There is a reason why Valve keeps pushing Linux and Proton as hard as they do. Newell is a smart man. He is an ex-Microsoft employee. He knows how they roll. He knows they won't rest until every gamer under the sun becomes a Xbox disciple and until PC gaming is all but eradicated. Therefore, in Gabe I trust. I hope Proton will be ready as a full-fledged alternative before the Microsoft trap springs.

Nov 18, 2021, 07:30
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 07:30
Nov 18, 2021, 07:30

"An official industry emulation approach would require long-term online support to offer game files and to possibly check if the user has the right to access them."

Oh great... DRM in emulation now when your "stated goal" is history preservation? Really MS?

Nov 18, 2021, 06:31
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 06:31
Nov 18, 2021, 06:31

Whenever anyone at Mucussoft says gaming, they mean Xbox. If they could take their tech wizards off of Azure for one weekend they could fix the thousands of older MS games that don't work on newer gear but we know that is not lucrative enough for them. The next big thing that kills older games is IP licenses running out. Like the rest of the industry they only rent IP for the short term and quick buck. The sooner games for consoles die the better, consoles are the opposite of PC gaming and only serve to take everything down to the level of 10 year olds.

PS I do blame Steam and GOG when they sell PC games that don't work on Win 10, but they don't tell you that and leave it up to you to discover that, and then you have too beg for a refund.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Nov 18, 2021, 05:20
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 05:20
Nov 18, 2021, 05:20

Want proper preservation today? Just put together a MiSTer FPGA. It's the retro device I always hoped for since the early days of emulation, now finally a reality.

Nov 18, 2021, 03:27
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 18, 2021, 03:27
Nov 18, 2021, 03:27

I have never trusted MSFTs motivations, though sometimes with some of their projects I'm almost willing to give them the benefit if the doubt

Nov 17, 2021, 23:56
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 17, 2021, 23:56
Nov 17, 2021, 23:56

Bullshit, this all about forcing m$ store, edge and consoles down PC gamers throats.
They always create some fallacy to force people to upgrade.
Malicious lies and promises. Middlefinger
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

Nov 17, 2021, 23:49
Rilcon

Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 17, 2021, 23:49
Nov 17, 2021, 23:49
 Rilcon

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 17, 2021, 19:19:
Donkey_Punch wrote on Nov 17, 2021, 19:12:
Windows 10 only can emulate older color modes like 16-bit color. Games have terrible frame rate issues without 3rd party apps like DgVoodoo2.

Microsoft themselves can do a lot to help older PC games yet they do almost nothing.
When 95% of their resources are spent on prioritizing ads, bundleware, and service subscriptions and the remaining 5% are used for patching zero day flaws and printer exploits it leaves nothing but lip service for anything else and that's where Phil steps in.
No. MS' priority these days is Azure. Windows is practically an afterthought now, a vehicle for Office 365 apps. Xbox and gaming in general is as it always was: a "fuck you" to Sony.

(and god bless them for that, because fuck Sony)

Nov 17, 2021, 22:38
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 17, 2021, 22:38
Nov 17, 2021, 22:38

lol, console people

this is the equivalent of getting mad at steam because the company didn't update a game to work on win 10 but still expect it to work.

Nov 17, 2021, 19:34
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 17, 2021, 19:34
Nov 17, 2021, 19:34

Yo Phil, an easy way to preserve games would be to actually distribute them, ya know? So, how about a Freelancer release on GOG/Steam and your own weird store? Maybe even add Starlancer while you're at it?

What? OK, OK, I get it... they're not Xbox games so you don't care one tiny little bit. Oh, well. Thanks anyway for... nothing then.

Nov 17, 2021, 19:19
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 17, 2021, 19:19
Nov 17, 2021, 19:19

Donkey_Punch wrote on Nov 17, 2021, 19:12:
Windows 10 only can emulate older color modes like 16-bit color. Games have terrible frame rate issues without 3rd party apps like DgVoodoo2.

Microsoft themselves can do a lot to help older PC games yet they do almost nothing.
When 95% of their resources are spent on prioritizing ads, bundleware, and service subscriptions and the remaining 5% are used for patching zero day flaws and printer exploits it leaves nothing but lip service for anything else and that's where Phil steps in.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Nov 17, 2021, 19:12
Re: MS on Preserving Game History Nov 17, 2021, 19:12
Nov 17, 2021, 19:12

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older