Forza Horizon 5 Released

That burning rubber you smell is from Forza Horizon 5 stepping on the accelerator and peeling out, offering a new installment in the open-world driving series. This is available for PC and consoles, with the Windows edition offered through Steam as well as the Xbox Game Pass. Reviews for this started rolling out last week, so you can look here for a roundup. Here's the previously released Official Launch Trailer, and here's the roadmap:
Your Ultimate Horizon Adventure awaits! Explore the vibrant and ever-evolving open world landscapes of Mexico with limitless, fun driving action in hundreds of the world’s greatest cars.

This is Your Horizon Adventure
Lead breathtaking expeditions across the vibrant and ever-evolving open world landscapes of Mexico with limitless, fun driving action in hundreds of the world’s greatest cars.

This is a Diverse Open World
Explore a world of striking contrast and beauty. Discover living deserts, lush jungles, historic cities, hidden ruins, pristine beaches, vast canyons and a towering snow-capped volcano.

This is an Adventurous Open World
Immerse yourself in a deep campaign with hundreds of challenges that reward you for engaging in the activities you love. Meet new characters and choose the outcomes of their Horizon Story missions.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released
Nov 10, 2021, 18:58
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 10, 2021, 18:58
Nov 10, 2021, 18:58

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 10, 2021, 07:33:
Can someone explain to me the appeal of the game? Looks like an extremely arcadey "driving" game that rewards you for going off-road, crashing into trees and other cars, driving through trees and crossing rivers, basically NOT proper driving. Looks like it has lots of shiny cars though? Is there some kind of multiplayer involved? Is it fun to drive, you know....properly? The physics look funky as well. The cars all look different but seem to drive the same? Please explain, I'm trying to understand maybe if it will appeal to me as some sort of relaxing game I can just chill out to without much thought....

The controls in this game are dynamite. Every vehicle feels unique, last night I started doing dirt races in the Jeep and it was spectacular over the awesome Hoonigans I had been using before. Then I switched from a Ferrari that felt great to a Mercedes GT for road/street races. This thing feels like a boat but skids through deep turns at high speed so well and plows through cars if I manage to accidentally hit one, I've been placing 1st and having a rolling good time.

Nov 10, 2021, 14:35
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 10, 2021, 14:35
Nov 10, 2021, 14:35

You can also set damage to real, simulation steering etc...

You can make it what you want. Most who want sims play Assetto Corsa or similar.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Nov 10, 2021, 10:58
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 10, 2021, 10:58
Nov 10, 2021, 10:58

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 10, 2021, 07:33:
Can someone explain to me the appeal of the game? Looks like an extremely arcadey "driving" game that rewards you for going off-road, crashing into trees and other cars, driving through trees and crossing rivers, basically NOT proper driving. Looks like it has lots of shiny cars though? Is there some kind of multiplayer involved? Is it fun to drive, you know....properly? The physics look funky as well. The cars all look different but seem to drive the same? Please explain, I'm trying to understand maybe if it will appeal to me as some sort of relaxing game I can just chill out to without much thought....

You say you need the appeal of the open-world driving game explained? Because fuck "proper" driving, dude, here you're free to go wherever you want. Of course, if your car isn't set up for it, you're just gonna spin out in the dirt or slide backwards down that steep hill... It's by far the most realistically-simulated arcadey driving game out there. Not that it doesn't have structured races, too, and you can spend all of your time inside of those if you want (against AI or online with players). There are several disciplines -- your "proper" road racing, street racing (unsanctioned road racing with civilian traffic and no safety barriers), off-road racing, cross country racing, drag racing, drifting... You do get points for wrecking smaller objects, but crashing is always avoided (into cars, buildings, or trees thicker than your leg) because it breaks your combo and you lose your reward. You also get rewarded for clean racing, maintaining high speed, drafting, passing with style, and near-misses. Some cars drive similarly to some others, but it depends on what type of car it is (drivetrain, how much torque/power, suspension, aero, tires, alignment, etc.), what speed class it fits into, and how you've customized it. Drop a racing V12 into a cargo van and see what happens. It's as chill or balls-to-the-wall as you want it to be.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2021, 11:18.

Nov 10, 2021, 09:45
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 10, 2021, 09:45
Nov 10, 2021, 09:45

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 18:44:
Turning off Discord and Defender means it is still in beta. Your game has to work with those.

Good to hear on car setup makes a bigger difference, that will add replay ability.
Normal discord operation seems to be fine. The problem appears to be related to screen sharing and the overlay.

I haven't had any issue with Defender, but it seems most other anti-virus apps cause issues and need to be disabled. Same with most apps that display an overlay, and some audio management apps. The audio one got me. I was having constant crashes until I disabled the "Nahimic service", which is common for certain audio chipsets (it's also completely unnecessary). Just something to look out for in case anyone else runs into it.

Now, the only issue my friends and I are having is constant disconnects from the "Horizon Live" online service, which is preventing co-op play. It's not just us, there's an issue that the devs are aware of, so hopefully it gets a quick patch.

Other than that though, we haven't had any other bugs. This game is a ton of fun, customize/tweak everything, there's so much to do it's almost overwhelming, graphics are beautiful, and performance is great. I get a constant 60+ fps at 4k HDR with all settings maxed (Ryzen 5800x, RTX 3080), and it doesn't even have DLSS or the FidelityFX Super Res (which they should add).
Buy/HODL AMC! (Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor / this is not financial advice)

Nov 10, 2021, 07:33
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 10, 2021, 07:33
Nov 10, 2021, 07:33

Nov 10, 2021, 06:42
Bob

Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 10, 2021, 06:42
Nov 10, 2021, 06:42
 Bob

I also didn't get to choose my name at the beginning. I just assumed it used the one from FH4 since it was the one I setup in that game. Or just coincidence.

Also, I think the avatar has a British voice since it seems that you are already famous and visiting from Britain (from FH4).

Nov 9, 2021, 23:20
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 23:20
Nov 9, 2021, 23:20

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 21:37:
Add my as CptRanger (anyone is welcome to) and we can drive around together, cause I know a bit later Co-Op races are gonna be handy for people struggling with certain races.

Good idea, H.Elf.

I'm KeeperUsiel on XBL. Anyone feel free to add me.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Nov 9, 2021, 21:52
Kxmode

Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 21:52
Nov 9, 2021, 21:52
 Kxmode

I'll leave this in the oven for six more months
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Nov 9, 2021, 21:37
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 21:37
Nov 9, 2021, 21:37

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 12:07:
So I've been playing it for five days now (Ultimate Edition).

It's largely much, much better than FH4. The map feels much larger with far more open areas in which to get your cars up to speed. The variety in terrain is also a much welcome change.

Handling is a bit different and tire choice has a larger importance in this title. Also, get used to tuning. You're going to need to learn it, love it, and use it. You won't be able to pick a car, slam the biggest engine you can get in it, maxing out every part and have a "perfect" car. You'll need to tune and tweak it to your driving style. I prefer my cars a bit on the loose side, for example, so I'll adjust spring rate, toe in, camber, tire pressure, and brake force to meet that preference.

Wheel Spins are better, too. There are far less clothes, gestures, and horns and more cars and cash rewards.

I've been enjoying the Hell out of it and my favorite car so far is my 1972 Ford Capri Mk. I that I built to an A class.

My gripe is a british voice for the character, and would like more GTA style music, but overall it's a blast.

AND... AND... I finally figured out how to drift, something I've NEVER been able to do in the Forza Motorsports or Horizon series.

Add my as CptRanger (anyone is welcome to) and we can drive around together, cause I know a bit later Co-Op races are gonna be handy for people struggling with certain races.

Nov 9, 2021, 21:17
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 21:17
Nov 9, 2021, 21:17

Yikes, the whole “it just won’t start” thing is pretty bad. Is it the virus scanner’s fault? Do they shut it down because those companies haven’t added whatever it sees as “bad activity” to its whitelist?

If so, what bad activity is a supposedly benign game doing?

It’s likely just an oversight. I mean, even Microsoft’s own Windows Defender can supposedly cause the issue, although I haven’t had that problem.

Nov 9, 2021, 20:20
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 20:20
Nov 9, 2021, 20:20

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 20:00:
Turning off Discord and Defender means it is still in beta. Your game has to work with those.

Good to hear on car setup makes a bigger difference, that will add replay ability.

I've had the game running with both (Steam version), had no idea there have been issues there?

Speaking of car setups, I am SO GLAD that they now indicate if there are offroad or drift wheels equipped on the car selection menu... The last game only told you whether you had snow-appropriate tires in the winter.

There's a list of apps that seem to/can conflict.

https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-5-crashing-pc-startup-fix/

Nov 9, 2021, 20:00
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 20:00
Nov 9, 2021, 20:00

I've had the game running with both (Steam version), had no idea there have been issues there?

Speaking of car setups, I am SO GLAD that they now indicate if there are offroad or drift wheels equipped on the car selection menu... The last game only told you whether you had snow-appropriate tires in the winter.

Nov 9, 2021, 19:23
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 19:23
Nov 9, 2021, 19:23

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 12:15:
This game has zero cops to evade, the *only* evasion mode they have is in the Playground Games, which are games of CTF, Red Rover and Keep Away, and are absolutely multiplayer only.

I built a Scottish police livery Mercedes SLS, complete with light bars and police sirens (it's a horn unlock) in FH4. Great fun chasing down supercars using the "Slow down!" chat emotes.

Nov 9, 2021, 18:44
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 18:44
Nov 9, 2021, 18:44

Nov 9, 2021, 18:29
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 18:29
Nov 9, 2021, 18:29

Lorcin wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 18:11:
Dacron wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 17:58:
For the $1 game pass, it's actually 2 months not 1. The confirmation email said next payment due is Feb 8th.

Nov 8 > Dec >8 > Jan 8 > Feb 8 = 3 months surely or 1.09c per day

Yeah... I uh..... I uh.... knew that..... I was just.... testing you guys! Yeah that's it!

Pie meet face.

*edit*

Man the windows store is slow and lies. 100gb @ 20-70Mb/sec download, should take 1.5-0.5 hours. Started at 11am and its only 50% done 4 hours later.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2021, 18:42.

Nov 9, 2021, 18:17
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 18:17
Nov 9, 2021, 18:17

I had the crash at startup also.

Avira antivirus running wouldn't let it get beyond the Forza 5 box graphic. Had to shut that down but still it wouldn't work properly. It would start to load the game and then also shut down.

Had to turn off EVGA Precision X1 also. Ridiculous. The only time I ever had problems with my anti-virus is with Xbox gamepass.

Microsoft is just trying to groom us for only using Windows store approved apps.

Nov 9, 2021, 18:11
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 18:11
Nov 9, 2021, 18:11

Dacron wrote on Nov 9, 2021, 17:58:
For the $1 game pass, it's actually 2 months not 1. The confirmation email said next payment due is Feb 8th.

Nov 8 > Dec >8 > Jan 8 > Feb 8 = 3 months surely or 1.09c per day

Nov 9, 2021, 17:58
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 17:58
Nov 9, 2021, 17:58

Nov 9, 2021, 17:51
Kxmode

Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 17:51
Nov 9, 2021, 17:51
 Kxmode

vroom vroom Race
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Nov 9, 2021, 16:54
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Released Nov 9, 2021, 16:54
Nov 9, 2021, 16:54

I'm about 40 hours into this game over the last few days, lol. Absolutely, loving it. Last night I finally tried driving from one side of the map to the other exclusively in first person view -amazing how that changes stuff up so much. I still don't think I could do that in a competitive race, maybe one day.

There are way more than a few annoyances but overall - as my first Forza game and really the only racing game I've bought since the 90's - the game is incredible (for an arcade racer, a gamey game). The avatars suck, just straight up everything about them is pretty much terrible. I can't stand getting emotes/15k pair of pants that I can't sell on a wheel spin.
Homes might have perks but they are totally nowhere near as immersive as they should be. After 40 hours every radio station has been worn out, it just goes straight to Off (which they should make easier to turn off than having to switch through a bunch of stations). But, overall, maybe not a masterpiece like IGN says but it's like a good 9.3-9.6 sort of game, incredibly designed.
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older