Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch

Bandai Namco Europe offers a post about Elden Rings specifications and compatibility. This shows what sort of framerates and resolutions players can expect on various console systems. But this kicks off with a mention of the PC edition of FromSoftware's upcoming action/RPG. Word is this will eventually receive ray tracing support via a post-release patch:
PC

• Maximum resolution*: Up to 3840x2160P
  • Framerate: Up to 60 FPS
  • HDR*: Supported
  • Raytracing (via patch): Supported

*4K and HDR require a compatible 4K and HDR compatible TV or display

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch
Nov 9, 2021, 06:16
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 9, 2021, 06:16
Nov 9, 2021, 06:16

Overon wrote on Nov 8, 2021, 15:13:
bigspender wrote on Nov 8, 2021, 03:33:
Overon wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 14:45:
From Software just cannot make a game that can do over 60 FPS. Everyone of their games is either 30 fps or 60 fps they just don't know how to do it. It always takes some 3rd party mod maker to unlock the framerate in the game without access From Software's source code. It's embarrassing really how professional developer cannot do something with the source code that they have compared to a 3rd party PC enthusiast can do without the source code. But From Software did manage to figure out how to do variable resolutions for PC, from their earlier days, so I guess that's progress and sign of hope that maybe a few games from now they will figure out how to unlock the framerate for PC.

Locking a framerate has a lot of performance benefits, which is needed on consoles to squeeze out all the gains you can. In a variable frame rate, you need to multiply anything that moves/changes/updates by the difference in time between the frames. If you have everything locked to 60fps you can account for that in the design, and don't waste a bunch of performance on maths every single frame.

For gameplay and for multiplayer especially, you get a consistent environment.

So when someone comes and mods Bloodborne to run at 60fps, or the guy that saved Dark Souls with his patch and unlocked it to 60fps on PC, you had a bunch of bugs. Such as sliding down a ladder would sometimes send you sliding through the floor, because collision detection didn't occur as you and everything else in the game is moving twice the speed of the collision checks.

Would I like a 120fps or 144hz mode? Hell yes. PC's are easily powerful enough. But it won't happen officially, because it would be a tone of work to rewrite everything to work properly.
And yet so many other so called AAA game developers have figured out how to release a game on consoles for 30/60 fps and have an unlocked frame rate for the same game on PC.

It's not that it can't be done, it's a business, and cost benefit probably decided it's not worthwhile to do it properly, and likely too much trouble to do that on a custom engine written decades ago.
Also lot of AAA's use unity/unreal/frostbite/crytek engines, so they don't have to get into the nitty gritty, all of that core stuff is done for them by dedicated teams, so it's a huge benefit for them. There's no reason From Soft can't do the same, but it's likely much easier for them to work in a Japanese based game engine that they are familiar with.

I'd be totally salty if it was capped at 30fps like the first Dark Souls, but 60fps I don't mind too much, as long as it's solid 60.

Nov 8, 2021, 15:13
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 8, 2021, 15:13
Nov 8, 2021, 15:13

From Software just cannot make a game that can do over 60 FPS. Everyone of their games is either 30 fps or 60 fps they just don't know how to do it. It always takes some 3rd party mod maker to unlock the framerate in the game without access From Software's source code. It's embarrassing really how professional developer cannot do something with the source code that they have compared to a 3rd party PC enthusiast can do without the source code. But From Software did manage to figure out how to do variable resolutions for PC, from their earlier days, so I guess that's progress and sign of hope that maybe a few games from now they will figure out how to unlock the framerate for PC.

Locking a framerate has a lot of performance benefits, which is needed on consoles to squeeze out all the gains you can. In a variable frame rate, you need to multiply anything that moves/changes/updates by the difference in time between the frames. If you have everything locked to 60fps you can account for that in the design, and don't waste a bunch of performance on maths every single frame.

So when someone comes and mods Bloodborne to run at 60fps, or the guy that saved Dark Souls with his patch and unlocked it to 60fps on PC, you had a bunch of bugs. Such as sliding down a ladder would sometimes send you sliding through the floor, because collision detection didn't occur as you and everything else in the game is moving twice the speed of the collision checks.

Would I like a 120fps or 144hz mode? Hell yes. PC's are easily powerful enough. But it won't happen officially, because it would be a tone of work to rewrite everything to work properly.
And yet so many other so called AAA game developers have figured out how to release a game on consoles for 30/60 fps and have an unlocked frame rate for the same game on PC.

Nov 8, 2021, 11:29
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 8, 2021, 11:29
Nov 8, 2021, 11:29

Very interested in the game, but unless they allow us to control and turn off Invasions. Then I'm not going ot support them. Far to many cheaters and exploiters in the DS games. Not going to put up with that Crap trying to play Coop.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Nov 8, 2021, 09:42
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 8, 2021, 09:42
Nov 8, 2021, 09:42

Tying physics and the general gameplay loop to framerate has a tendency to cause major gameplay issues unless you can keep the framerate stable 100% of the time, From Software are notorious for not being able to do that. You can find one area in each of their games that tank the performance.

Doing the physics and gameplay loop based on timedelta instead has been Game Programming 101 for far more than a decade. Just about every decent game development course and tutorial touches upon why tying gameplay (or physics) to framerate is a bad idea and provides simple examples of the fairly basic math needed.

Nov 8, 2021, 03:47
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 8, 2021, 03:47
Nov 8, 2021, 03:47

Overon wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 20:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 20:06:
Overon wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 18:57:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 16:52:

They deliberately choose their FPS target, it's not a question of ability.
Virtually ever PC game has unlocked framerate yet you let them off the hook because they "choose their FPS target." They keep choosing poorly putting in limitations that virtually no other PC games have and certainly not "AAA" releases. I have had enough of shitty lazy design technical design decisions from From Software.

Bethesda has sold 50M+ copies of beloved AAA games with engine-level 60fps limits, lol... You can of course feel free to be irrationally irritated by it, but designing a game for a specific framerate is not inherently lazy or shitty.
A few Bethesda games out of hundreds of AAA games that don't have 60 FPS limits. Yes, I have a PC with good graphics card which I spent good money on to play at more than 60 FPS on a frame syncing monitor, and I'm irrational for wishing to do so on a platform where 95% of all the other games run at higher than 60 FPS. How irrational of me. Clearly I'm an entitled spoiled bastard for asking too much from From Software.
Speculation: Sony dictates that any non-PS version cannot have better performance than the PS version in their contract.
Speculation: From games are very timing dependent. Perhaps the game is coded to work best at those framerates (30 and 60) and other framerates produce inconsistent results. Especially the case given the wide variety of hardware on PC.
Perhaps they framerate lock simply to reduce variables in coding, testing, and customer support.
Perhaps they are concerned with Global Warming and don't want their game to draw excess power with diminishing results. Kidding!
Perhaps they locked it at 60 since that matches most PC monitors and TV refresh rates.
So many things come to mind.

Edit: Wut Bigspender sed.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Nov 8, 2021, 03:33
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 8, 2021, 03:33
Nov 8, 2021, 03:33

Nov 7, 2021, 21:27
Kxmode

Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 21:27
Nov 7, 2021, 21:27
 Kxmode

Dough. 🤑
Ray Tracing. 😎
E-Gone! 😏
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Nov 7, 2021, 21:21
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 21:21
Nov 7, 2021, 21:21

Overon wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 20:29:

Virtually ever PC game has unlocked framerate yet you let them off the hook because they "choose their FPS target." They keep choosing poorly putting in limitations that virtually no other PC games have and certainly not "AAA" releases. I have had enough of shitty lazy design technical design decisions from From Software.

Bethesda has sold 50M+ copies of beloved AAA games with engine-level 60fps limits, lol... You can of course feel free to be irrationally irritated by it, but designing a game for a specific framerate is not inherently lazy or shitty.
A few Bethesda games out of hundreds of AAA games that don't have 60 FPS limits. Yes, I have a PC with good graphics card which I spent good money on to play at more than 60 FPS on a frame syncing monitor, and I'm irrational for wishing to do so on a platform where 95% of all the other games run at higher than 60 FPS. How irrational of me. Clearly I'm an entitled spoiled bastard for asking too much from From Software.
You kinda are acting entitled and spoiled...I mean, it's their game and they are allowed to develop it however they want. Just because you have a machine capable of running things faster doesn't make any difference to that.

The point is, From Software developed their games to run at 60fps for whatever reason and it is their decision to do so, much like it is your decision to not play games that you feel are beneath you.

Nov 7, 2021, 20:29
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 20:29
Nov 7, 2021, 20:29

Nov 7, 2021, 20:06
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 20:06
Nov 7, 2021, 20:06

Nov 7, 2021, 19:04
Cram

Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 19:04
Nov 7, 2021, 19:04
 Cram

I smell sh*t PC port

Nov 7, 2021, 18:57
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 18:57
Nov 7, 2021, 18:57

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2021, 19:10.

Nov 7, 2021, 18:02
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 18:02
Nov 7, 2021, 18:02

Bloodborne had really hard time even achieving 30 fps on PS4, and even when it did, the frame pacing was messed up and would stutter, an issue that still present even on PS4 Pro and PS5, cause From software as good as their games were did not know how to design it correctly at that time. After that game though they started getting better.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2021, 18:48.

Nov 7, 2021, 16:52
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 16:52
Nov 7, 2021, 16:52

Nov 7, 2021, 15:50
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 15:50
Nov 7, 2021, 15:50

Ahead of schedule even.. I figured nothing until after dinner but....

Nov 7, 2021, 15:27
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 15:27
Nov 7, 2021, 15:27

I can live with 60fps for a From game. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time and suffered through 30fps to play it. Sure 144fps would be nice but can live with 60 for this next Soulsborne game.

Nov 7, 2021, 14:45
Re: Elden Rings Getting Ray Tracing After Launch Nov 7, 2021, 14:45
Nov 7, 2021, 14:45

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older