ActiBlizz Workplace Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut

A press release from Activision Blizzard has the latest on how the company is dealing with allegations of workplace misconduct that has resulted in a couple of lawsuits, an SEC investigation, and a bunch of departures of now-former staff. This comes in the form of a letter to staff from Bobby Kotick on progress being made to create a better work environment. This includes a list of five specific changes being made immediately. These are a new company-wide, zero-tolerance harassment policy; an increased percentage of female and non-binary employees, a waiver of forced arbitration for sexual harassment and discrimination claims, annual reporting of pay equity, and a promise of further progress updates on a regular basis. This concludes with word that the Activision Blizzard CEO will be taking a big pay cut, as his enormous compensation has drawn a lot of criticism while the company has tried to weather this storm. Word is his overall pay, including bonuses, will be lowered to the minimum allowable under California law:
Lastly, I want to ensure that every available resource is being used in the service of becoming the industry leader in workplace excellence. Accordingly, I have asked our Board of Directors to reduce my total compensation until the Board has determined that we have achieved the transformational gender-related goals and other commitments described above. Specifically, I have asked the Board to reduce my pay to the lowest amount California law will allow for people earning a salary, which this year is $62,500. To be clear, this is a reduction in my overall compensation, not just my salary. I am asking not to receive any bonuses or be granted any equity during this time.

There’s a tendency when companies face challenging moments to lose sight of what makes them special, what makes them great. You are a truly special group of people who – through passion, conviction, drive, and determination – keep accomplishing extraordinary things. While the critical work ahead won’t be easy, I am confident our collective commitment to workplace excellence will be achieved.

I truly wish not a single employee had had an experience at work that resulted in hurt, humiliation, or worse – and to those who were affected, I sincerely apologize. You have my commitment that we will do everything possible to honor our values and create the workplace every member of this team deserves.

I am grateful for how much people care about this company, and I appreciate that many past and present employees have reached out with their thoughts, concerns, complaints, and suggestions. Your experiences, so courageously shared, serve as reason and reminder for why it is so important for us to do better. And we will.
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut
Oct 29, 2021, 10:41
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 29, 2021, 10:41
Oct 29, 2021, 10:41

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/labor/wage-and-hour/salary-laws/
Under California employment law, salaried employees can be classified as exempt or non-exempt. Non-exempt salaried employees are eligible for overtime. Exempt salaried employees may not be eligible for overtime; however, employers have to pay salaried exempt employees at twice the minimum hourly wage based on a 40-hour workweek.

Exempt employees are not covered by most California wage and hour laws. However, in order to qualify as an exempt employee, an exempt employee must be paid a salary of no less than twice (2x) the California minimum wage based on a 40-hour workweek.
Exempt employees may include:
Independent contractors
White-collar workers
Unionized employees in certain industries
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Oct 29, 2021, 10:16
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 29, 2021, 10:16
Oct 29, 2021, 10:16

Simon Says wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 19:02:
NKD wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 18:08:
OK well whether or not you like it, that's the law in California, so what he said was accurate.

That's relative. And whether I like it or not is irrelevant, the minimum wage in the US, and California is in the US, isn't a "fat" 62.4K/year, it's 15K/year. That's the lowest legal full-time salary for 1 year of work at 40 hours/week for 52 weeks ( tipped work notwithstanding ).

Laughing Man wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 18:45:
Have you ever had a job? I find it odd you don't understand the difference between being salary and hourly.

Spare me your attempt at an Ad Hominem.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/salary

Notice "wage" in the synonyms. How are wages measured? Hourly! Well... Who would've guessed?

But... I will allow the possibility that it's not the same thing, as it is in pretty much every other language including my mother tongue ( french ). So if somehow this is another so-called "American exceptionalism", then educate me instead of throwing counter-productive and useless Ad Hominems around please will you? At least that would be constructive.
Not sure if anyone has gotten around to explaining the difference.
Wage is an hourly rate, and is earned for each hour worked. Although working 40 hours is typical, it can often be more or less than that. Many states have laws that hours that exceed 40 must pay the rate at 1.5x or more per hour. Hourly wages are usually compensation for manual blue collar work: construction workers, bus drivers, groundskeeper, etc.
Salary is an annual rate, regardless of hours worked. It is usually compensation for skilled white collar work: nurses, engineers, lawyers, etc.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Oct 29, 2021, 06:50
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 29, 2021, 06:50
Oct 29, 2021, 06:50

The sheer ignorance displayed here is astounding regarding simple financial terms and lack of life experience of how corporate boards and CE0 watch each others backs and continuously pull stunts like selling a multi million dollar houses purchased with company funds to themselves for $1, while the company writes it off as a tax loss.

Salary and hourly wage, too fine a definition for some minds to grasp here. US state and federal minimum wage law, too deep for some of the 10 year old level intellects haunting Blues comments.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Oct 29, 2021, 03:40
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 29, 2021, 03:40
Oct 29, 2021, 03:40

Let's be honest; Kotick can make zero dollars the rest of his life and still have more money than his whole extended family could ever hope to spend. Maybe he should go to space in a dick rocket.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 29, 2021, 00:21
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 29, 2021, 00:21
Oct 29, 2021, 00:21

OK well whether or not you like it, that's the law in California, so what he said was accurate.

That's relative.

No, it isn't relative. You're not entitled to "alternative facts". California employment law comports exactly with what the statement says. It's okay to just admit you're wrong instead of doubling and tripling and quadrupling down, ya know? Especially when you're a foreigner who has no idea what they are talking about to begin with.

Read and be educated.
This is Bob Barker reminding you to help control the Canadian bartender population — have your Canadian bartenders spayed or neutered.

Oct 28, 2021, 21:10
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 21:10
Oct 28, 2021, 21:10

Poor Bobby. No new ivory back scratcher this year.
You people are monsters!

Oct 28, 2021, 20:35
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 20:35
Oct 28, 2021, 20:35

That's relative. And whether I like it or not is irrelevant, the minimum wage in the US, and California is in the US, isn't a "fat" 62.4K/year, it's 15K/year. That's the lowest legal full-time salary for 1 year of work at 40 hours/week for 52 weeks ( tipped work notwithstanding ).

Have you ever had a job? I find it odd you don't understand the difference between being salary and hourly.

Notice "wage" in the synonyms. How are wages measured? Hourly! Well... Who would've guessed?

But... I will allow the possibility that it's not the same thing, as it is in pretty much every other language including my mother tongue ( french ). So if somehow this is another so-called "American exceptionalism", then educate me instead of throwing counter-productive and useless Ad Hominems around please will you? At least that would be constructive.
That's a really long way of saying you don't know the difference between salaried and hourly

Good ol'Bobby likely works 70-80 hour weeks, anyway

Oct 28, 2021, 19:08
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 19:08
Oct 28, 2021, 19:08

Spare me your weak attempt at an Ad Hominem.

Are you reading the actual press release that was posted? Because it pretty specifically says, "reduce my pay to the lowest amount California law will allow for people earning a salary, which this year is $62,500" ... not "minimum wage".

Also you're talking about the federal minimum wage. You're not from the U.S. so you might not know that states have their own minimum wage... 40 of these states have it higher than the federal minimum wage.
So although still silly, your argument should be using California's minimum wage of $14 an hour.

Oct 28, 2021, 19:02
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 19:02
Oct 28, 2021, 19:02

Oct 28, 2021, 18:45
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 18:45
Oct 28, 2021, 18:45

Simon Says wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 17:41:
NKD wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 16:08:
In California, "White collar" or executive/administrative type employees, independent contractors, etc. have a different minimum salary based on roughly double minimum wage for a 40 hour week, and it depends on how many employees their company has as well. The minimum salary for those types of workers in California in 2022, if your company has 26 or more employees, is $62,400. You can probably look up the exact qualifications for what type of workers this applies to.

Couldn't care less if he's a "white collar" worker or brown brake trace in underwear worker, minimum wage is lowest wage. Heck, 62.4K isn't even below the poverty line.

Oct 28, 2021, 18:08
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 18:08
Oct 28, 2021, 18:08

Simon Says wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 17:41:
In California, "White collar" or executive/administrative type employees, independent contractors, etc. have a different minimum salary based on roughly double minimum wage for a 40 hour week, and it depends on how many employees their company has as well. The minimum salary for those types of workers in California in 2022, if your company has 26 or more employees, is $62,400. You can probably look up the exact qualifications for what type of workers this applies to.

Couldn't care less if he's a "white collar" worker or brown brake trace in underwear worker, minimum wage is lowest wage. Heck, 62.4K isn't even below the poverty line.

This is Bob Barker reminding you to help control the Canadian bartender population — have your Canadian bartenders spayed or neutered.

Oct 28, 2021, 17:41
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 17:41
Oct 28, 2021, 17:41

Oct 28, 2021, 17:24
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 17:24
Oct 28, 2021, 17:24

The important bit....

To be clear, this is a reduction in my overall compensation, not just my salary. I am asking not to receive any bonuses or be granted any equity during this time.

Which means whenever he and the board deems this "time" is over it rockets back up into the stratosphere. And there's nothing stating that during this "time" that bonuses simply aren't being deferred either. Beyond that, the guy's already a billionaire now so it's a pretty hollow gesture. And that says nothing that all this shit over the years happened on his watch.

The only really meaningful gesture would be for the board to fire him with cause.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Oct 28, 2021, 16:42
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 16:42
Oct 28, 2021, 16:42

<insert WoodyHarrelsonWipingTearsWithMoney.gif>

Oct 28, 2021, 16:08
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 16:08
Oct 28, 2021, 16:08

Simon Says wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 15:58:

He must be taking everyone for idiots... Lowest salary is MINIMUM WAGE.

Oct 28, 2021, 16:07
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 16:07
Oct 28, 2021, 16:07

It would be $14 per hour for California. Federal minimum wage is the lowest you can go, but states are free to require more.

At any rate he isn’t an hourly employee.
"Remember when you were stalking Charles Kuralt because you thought he dug up your garden?"
"Well, something did!"

Oct 28, 2021, 16:04
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 16:04
Oct 28, 2021, 16:04

NKD wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 15:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 15:35:
I promise if you give me $200 million for one year of work, I will not mind if you cut my pay the next year.

After a few years at that amount though you'd probably get a little miffed that they were cutting your compensation to zero. A lot of rich, greedy people weren't always rich and greedy. Making a shit ton of money enabled them to become that way. It doesn't matter if they make more than enough money to fund their desired lifestyle. It's still a dick measuring contest with your rich friends.
I agree if you've been in that mindset your whole life -- yeah, you'd start feeling like you were getting ripped off pretty quickly. Me? I'd just walk away after a year.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 28, 2021, 15:58
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 15:58
Oct 28, 2021, 15:58

"Specifically, I have asked the Board to reduce my pay to the lowest amount California law will allow for people earning a salary, which this year is $62,500."

He must be taking everyone for idiots... Lowest salary is MINIMUM WAGE.

In the US it's what? 7.25$/hour?

40 hours a week, 52 weeks ( assuming no holidays, fat chance ) = 15,080$ a year

Yup, he must think we're all stupid.

And add to that he already has as fat a wallet as can be from a decade+ of exploitation, HE COULDN'T CARE LESS about ONE YEAR at "minimum salary".

This is just virtue signaling and an insult to our intelligence.

FU Bob.

Oct 28, 2021, 15:57
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 15:57
Oct 28, 2021, 15:57

NKD wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 13:47:
intermarer wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 13:33:
an increased percentage of female and non-binary employees
How can you run a business like this? Wouldn't it make more sense to just hire based on skill?

It's both. They aren't just going "Hey, you're a woman, HIRED!" to every woman who comes through the door. What these types of diversity pushes mean is that they are going out of their way to find female/non-binary employees who are qualified for the job. As you can see by companies getting absolutely keel-hauled because they have toxic bro culture, there's a little more to consider to the bottom line than the competency of your workers.

I imagine you'd find an inverse correlation between companies with large numbers of female and non-binary employees and companies with toxic bro culture problems and multiple sexual harrassment investigations.

Yup.
Not to mention, there's no objective "merit."

I always get frustrated when people that have never been at a large organization, or done much hiring, weigh in like experts.
Ask the women on my team how important it is to see other women in the leadership chain, and ask very well qualified female candidates the same thing

Oct 28, 2021, 15:47
Re: ActiBlizz Commitments Include Bobby Kotick Pay Cut Oct 28, 2021, 15:47
Oct 28, 2021, 15:47

roguebanshee wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 12:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 28, 2021, 11:38:
Really? A pay cut? Dude ya got millions every year in bonus's.
To be fair, he's asking to not even receive any bonus this year.

Not that it'll really matter to his financial status due to the massive bonuses he's received in previous years. And as mentioned, it doesn't really have anything to do with making the workplace environment better whatsoever. Because the "saved" money will almost certainly just go to the investors instead.
I'm sure there's some expense in creating and implementing programs to address the issues they have been accused of. Probably not $200M, but several millions at least.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older