Out of the Blue

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, which took place on October 25, 1415. If you ever get killed in a game by a ranged weapon while engaging in melee combat, you are failing to learn a lesson from 606 years ago, when the outnumbered English won this pivotal battle of The Hundred Years War by cutting down heavily armored French soldiers with longbow fire.

Obituary: James Michael Tyler, who played Gunther on 'Friends', dies at 59.

Strategic Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Science

Media

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt
Oct 26, 2021, 13:20
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 26, 2021, 13:20
Oct 26, 2021, 13:20

Must be nice to even have an IMAX 3D option. I live in a major city, and no theaters here are showing that version. Speaking as one of the few remaining advocates for 3D, I'm going to say skip it. Not only is it a post-conversion, but the director is anti-3D, so I'm guessing that minimal effort was put into the conversion on his part.

Oct 26, 2021, 07:43
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 26, 2021, 07:43
Oct 26, 2021, 07:43

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 26, 2021, 03:25:
I've been thinking of going to see the new Dune in Imax 3d? Is it worth it or should I just stick with the regular 2d version? I know some movies are better in 3d than others, is Dune one of those that got the post production treatment (I can usually tell) or has it been shot with 3d in mind from the get go?
It seems like when things are shot in 3D it is advertised as such.
As for imax "The entire film was shot with IMAX cameras in order to meet the format requirements for presentation."

Looks like post conversion https://slate.com/culture/2021/10/dune-hbo-max-imax-movie-theaters-3d-2d.html
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Oct 26, 2021, 05:31
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 26, 2021, 05:31
Oct 26, 2021, 05:31

Bodolza wrote on Oct 25, 2021, 15:25:
They succeeded in making a much more believable light saber fight

Time for a rant. Sword "experts" universally have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to lightsaber fights. They have no idea what it weighs, how powerful it is, what type of controls are available. They don't know how the blades interact when they hit each other either. There are clearly differences between the types of sabers as well. They also have no idea how to fight when you have the ability to see into the future and how that works when you're fighting someone who also has that ability. There are a ton of variables that would affect the actual fighting style of "real" lightsaber combat, and there's only one person who knows what they are.

THANK YOU. Force aptitude is not only a requirement for handling a lightsaber effectively, it is what wholly defines that type of combat. Having the reflexes of someone like Spider-Man is pretty much the bare minimum, not to mention how it's channeled to enhance strength, speed, and agility in ways unique to each individual wielder... Comparing that to how these cavemen who trained with pointy sticks lumber around is insultingly ludicrous and demonstrative of a complete lack of comprehension of what makes Star Wars Star Wars.

Oct 26, 2021, 03:25
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 26, 2021, 03:25
Oct 26, 2021, 03:25

I've been thinking of going to see the new Dune in Imax 3d? Is it worth it or should I just stick with the regular 2d version? I know some movies are better in 3d than others, is Dune one of those that got the post production treatment (I can usually tell) or has it been shot with 3d in mind from the get go?

Oct 26, 2021, 00:31
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 26, 2021, 00:31
Oct 26, 2021, 00:31

Tom wrote on Oct 25, 2021, 14:20:
Of course, in the new film they had Jessica recite it instead of Paul.

When I saw that, I thought they were going to imply that what she was saying was what he would be thinking in his head. In other words, she was reciting it in hope that he'd remember her teachings, and he remembered it, so that's why he lived. But they don't really do anything like that. So to anyone new to the series, the significance of the words is lost on them.

But, I still think the movie is great and would recommend it to every but the most anal of Dune fans.

Oct 25, 2021, 22:33
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 22:33
Oct 25, 2021, 22:33

Shifting gears... black cosplayers are tired of being told who they can portray? Listen... I don't go around cosplaying as sailor moon for a reason... high heals are a bitch!

No but seriouse, if you want to make a miles moralas otherworld versions of a character go ahead. But if the character your are trying to cosplay isn't black then you have quite the struggle ahead of you creating a convincing cosplay. You can do it, but be ready to shoulder the ire of many fanbois who say you don't look like the character for obvious reasons.

Oct 25, 2021, 17:45
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 17:45
Oct 25, 2021, 17:45

Bodolza wrote on Oct 25, 2021, 15:25:

Time for a rant. Sword "experts" universally have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to lightsaber fights. They have no idea what it weighs, how powerful it is, what type of controls are available. They don't know how the blades interact when they hit each other either. There are clearly differences between the types of sabers as well. They also have no idea how to fight when you have the ability to see into the future and how that works when you're fighting someone who also has that ability. There are a ton of variables that would affect the actual fighting style of "real" lightsaber combat, and there's only one person who knows what they are.

That said, the video is pretty well done, except for the end where the lightsaber is laying across his chest when he's on the ground. Part of the skill of a jedi is making sure the lightsaber never touches you (another reason why Kylo Ren's lightsaber was such a terrible design).

Also, if you're a nerd (which I clearly am based on previous rant), many of those Technology Connections videos are pretty interesting. Some real pratical knowledge in there.

And beyond all that it's not like Jedi/Sith are regular grunts on the battlefield which are little more than cannon fodder. The only problem I had with Ren's saber is the crossguard. It should have been a V going out to act like a swordbreaker. Also makes it safer when he's twirling it around. I'm only surprised they haven't made more of a curved blade saber like a scimitar or katana. There are practical reasons for those designs.

"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Oct 25, 2021, 17:17
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 17:17
Oct 25, 2021, 17:17

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 25, 2021, 16:55:
Went back two weeks on the OotB titles?
The AI is in the process of fine tuning the algorithms. It will take another minute before all OotB’s are subtitled.
Burrito of Peace

Oct 25, 2021, 16:55
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 16:55
Oct 25, 2021, 16:55

Went back two weeks on the OotB titles?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 25, 2021, 15:25
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 15:25
Oct 25, 2021, 15:25

That said, the video is pretty well done, except for the end where the lightsaber is laying across his chest when he's on the ground. Part of the skill of a jedi is making sure the lightsaber never touches you (another reason why Kylo Ren's lightsaber was such a terrible design).

Also, if you're a nerd (which I clearly am based on previous rant), many of those Technology Connections videos are pretty interesting. Some real pratical knowledge in there.

Oct 25, 2021, 14:40
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 14:40
Oct 25, 2021, 14:40

Interesting https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Litany_Against_Fear
Burrito of Peace

Oct 25, 2021, 14:26
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 14:26
Oct 25, 2021, 14:26

It's been ages since I read it, so you'd probably know better. Need to listen to it again and compare. She does mumble it outside of the door during the test - while I was watching the movie I had a hard time making it out.
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Oct 25, 2021, 14:20
Tom
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 14:20
Oct 25, 2021, 14:20
Tom

The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 25, 2021, 13:12:
Tom: I know there are several different versions of the litany spoken in the book. Villeneuve is very familiar with the book, and he may be quoting the actual litany used in that scene in the book.
Sorry, but I'm afraid you're mistaken. This is easily verified with an electronic version of the book. I checked. The Litany appears twice in full form (recited by Paul both times) and once in abbreviated form (recited by Jessica). There's no deviation in wording. It's 100% consistent every time.

Of course, in the new film they had Jessica recite it instead of Paul. This is another deviation but I'm willing to let it slide. Changing the wording, however, is not acceptable behavior from someone who boasts about how faithful to the book he is while trashing David Lynch.

Oct 25, 2021, 14:10
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 14:10
Oct 25, 2021, 14:10

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 25, 2021, 14:00:
Leftist agenda Ucrazy

Oh bother.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Oct 25, 2021, 14:00
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 14:00
Oct 25, 2021, 14:00

Leftist agenda Ucrazy
Burrito of Peace

Oct 25, 2021, 13:31
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 13:31
Oct 25, 2021, 13:31

Dune 2021 was disappointing. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. Technically, the pacing was far too slow. I've never liked David Lynch's work on the whole but his version is still far superior. Fuck Villeneuve for pushing his leftist agenda and ruining the source material. If you don't agree with the source material, don't do it. Come up with your own shit in that case. I could really care less if part 2 gets made now.

Black cosplayers are tired of being told who they can and can’t portray.

But it's okay to keep complaining about other people appropriating black culture, is it? Rolleyes
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Oct 25, 2021, 13:12
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 13:12
Oct 25, 2021, 13:12

'Dune' Director Denis Villeneuve Breaks Down the Gom Jabbar Scene | Vanity Fair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAA0sYkLI0

Tom: I know there are several different versions of the litany spoken in the book. Villeneuve is very familiar with the book, and he may be quoting the actual litany used in that scene in the book.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2021, 13:27.
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Oct 25, 2021, 13:01
Tom
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 13:01
Oct 25, 2021, 13:01
Tom

So here's an article about explaining the changes from the book and it mentions the Litany very explicitly, but it fails to mention or explain why the words of the Litany were corrupted. What a missed opportunity. I'd like to know who's responsible for it. Who thought it would be a good idea to screw with "the novel’s most famous inner monologue" as this article puts it? Or did the script writer or Rebecca Ferguson just plain screw it up through incompetence and nobody noticed during production of the film? I can't imagine any defensible reason for altering the wording the way they did. The 1984 film got it right!

I wouldn't get a tattoo with the Litany. But I did memorize it many years ago. It really stands out when someone recites it incorrectly. Surely I couldn't have been the only person to notice...

As for the changes Villeneuve made that WERE explained in the article, I found his reasoning to range from unsatisfying to infuriating - with the exception of his omission of the Baron being a pederast. I'm ok with him leaving that out, although I think David Lynch deserves respect for trying to tackle it in his own weird way.

Oct 25, 2021, 12:53
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 12:53
Oct 25, 2021, 12:53

I urge you to watch that light saber fight video. If you're not interested in the making of it, skip ahead to 15:58 mark to watch the final video, which is about 5 minutes long. They succeeded in making a much more believable light saber fight than the last 3 Star Wars movie, with believable physics, and believable fighting. Real sword play is a careful back and forth, watching your guard, looking for an opening. It's not the annoying dancing, jumping, spinning nonsense in most movies - especially recent Star Wars movies. I thought they did a nice job, and the story of the film short itself is very good.

Oct 25, 2021, 12:28
Re: OotB: Battle of Agincourt Oct 25, 2021, 12:28
Oct 25, 2021, 12:28

The new Dune movie is beautiful but no where near the depth of the 1984 version. We'll see what the second part brings.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older