No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges

Hello Games announces Expedition Four: Emergence is now underway, bringing a new seasonal event to No Man's Sky, the space exploration game. This features its own narrative, and comes along with an update with game improvements. As you can see in the Emergence Trailer the expansion features the menace of sand-dwelling Titan Worms, just in time for the new Dune movie (or Halloween re-viewings of Beetlejuice). Here's a bit:
Across the universe, planets have been blighted by the activity of Titan Worms. These colossal sandworms plough through the desert sands, blacking out the sun as they arc overhead, and defiling the very terrain with their cursed dust.

In Expedition Four: Emergence, travellers will find themselves stranded on planet Wasan, a barren world ravaged by dust storms and infested with Titan Worms. It is up to you to locate the Titan Worm impact sites, destroy the wretched Hungering Tendrils, and collect the Vile Spawn that lingers behind. The vessels of the many mouths must be purged!
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges
Oct 22, 2021, 11:29
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 22, 2021, 11:29
Oct 22, 2021, 11:29

Beyond Contact has co-op. But it is pretty clear it was designed as a single player game. Well worth the $15 IMHO.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 22, 2021, 01:01
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 22, 2021, 01:01
Oct 22, 2021, 01:01

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 21:43:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 21:38:
Don't Starve is hard.
Well, I figure "Beyond Contact" can't be too hard, I suspect my pain threshold for game difficulty is average at best. It is somewhat seed dependent. Basically the distance between various game locations can vary greatly.
Don't Starve is pretty straightforward until winter comes (although nights can be a pain). Then you starve and are assaulted by powerful creatures. I think I've attempted three playthroughs at this point, and have failed to get through winter each time. I hear playing coop may be easier though, but I'm a SP gamer for the most part. All that said, I enjoy the game play and art style.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 21, 2021, 18:00
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 21, 2021, 18:00
Oct 21, 2021, 18:00
 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 21, 2021, 06:40:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 15:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 14:29:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 12:53:
Do we have worm signs?

Speaking of wormsigns.. why wouldn't the harvesters be able to lift off on their own? Who designed that junk? Why not attach the carry-all to the harvesters properly and have them be 1 thing? Never made sense to me in the books. Especially as clearly those things are valuable beyond belief. You wouldn't operate that operation with outdated junk. They'd have planet sized mining ships and worm breeding stations if they were really serious about it given the size of their star-ships.... the books never felt like true hard sci-fi because of that weird thought error. Also the fact they didn't recreate this planet elsewhere and seeded worms there never made sense to me. The great houses are really just run by short sighted money bags aren't they....
Flying harvesters would have way higher building and running costs. It's more cost-effective to create a Carryall with a single purpose of transporting two harvesters instead of integrating the Carryall's design into a harvester. Besides, even if harvesters could fly, the added weight of spice would create a delay as it gets off the ground and provide a worm or an enemy a measure of time to damage the vehicle, possibly even while airborne.

The things are literally called Cary-alls. As in they can carry a lot of stuff. Probably not just the harvesters. Just because we didn't read about, or saw it in a movie or game, doesn't mean they couldn't or didnt transport other stuff besides Harvesters.
This is true. I stand corrected.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Oct 21, 2021, 08:19
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 21, 2021, 08:19
Oct 21, 2021, 08:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 21:43:
Don't Starve is hard.
Well, I figure "Beyond Contact" can't be too hard, I suspect my pain threshold for game difficulty is average at best. It is somewhat seed dependent. Basically the distance between various game locations can vary greatly.
After some thought I figured I should also mention I found a since deleted reddit post of someone complaining how he died 10 times without accomplishing much and how the game "sucked" and was incredibly hard. So -- YMMV.

Oct 21, 2021, 06:40
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 21, 2021, 06:40
Oct 21, 2021, 06:40

Do we have worm signs?

Speaking of wormsigns.. why wouldn't the harvesters be able to lift off on their own? Who designed that junk? Why not attach the carry-all to the harvesters properly and have them be 1 thing? Never made sense to me in the books. Especially as clearly those things are valuable beyond belief. You wouldn't operate that operation with outdated junk. They'd have planet sized mining ships and worm breeding stations if they were really serious about it given the size of their star-ships.... the books never felt like true hard sci-fi because of that weird thought error. Also the fact they didn't recreate this planet elsewhere and seeded worms there never made sense to me. The great houses are really just run by short sighted money bags aren't they....
Flying harvesters would have way higher building and running costs. It's more cost-effective to create a Carryall with a single purpose of transporting two harvesters instead of integrating the Carryall's design into a harvester. Besides, even if harvesters could fly, the added weight of spice would create a delay as it gets off the ground and provide a worm or an enemy a measure of time to damage the vehicle, possibly even while airborne.

The things are literally called Cary-alls. As in they can carry a lot of stuff. Probably not just the harvesters. Just because we didn't read about, or saw it in a movie or game, doesn't mean they couldn't or didnt transport other stuff besides Harvesters.

Oct 20, 2021, 21:43
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 21:43
Oct 20, 2021, 21:43

Don't Starve is hard.

Oct 20, 2021, 21:38
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 21:38
Oct 20, 2021, 21:38

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 21:13:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 19:07:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 19:01:
Never even heard of Beyond Contact before...
Beyond Contact
I have seen people on-line say both it is easier and harder than "Don't Starve". While I am aware of "Don't Starve" I have never played it or watched videos of it, so I can't compare,
Don't Starve is hard.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 20, 2021, 21:13
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 21:13
Oct 20, 2021, 21:13

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 19:07:
Beyond Contact
I have seen people on-line say both it is easier and harder than "Don't Starve". While I am aware of "Don't Starve" I have never played it or watched videos of it, so I can't compare,

Oct 20, 2021, 19:19
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 19:19
Oct 20, 2021, 19:19

No, the base game has all the functionality that's been added over the years. They've introduced 'seasonal' content that has quests unique to that season; completing the challenges of that season usually rewards the player with items unique to that season that then get added to the players account. The 'seasons' are like the D3 seasons or the POE challenge leagues where you have to start a new character within that league. But the environments are the same whether you play in the 'league' or you play the standard game. An example of a reward you could get for playing the challenge league is a unique ship or an armor aesthetic that would only be available if you had played in that league.

Oct 20, 2021, 19:07
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 19:07
Oct 20, 2021, 19:07

Beyond Contact

Oct 20, 2021, 19:01
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 19:01
Oct 20, 2021, 19:01

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 18:13:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 11:39:
But is it fun? I've been tempted to check it out because I know it has some survival aspects to it, and I like that genre. But again, will I get bored or is there a lot to do?
It really isn't very much of a survival game except for the first 10-20 minutes it takes to get some basic resources and fix your ship. That said, if you like space games it is well worth the purchase, especially if you pick it up on sale.

For survival I have been playing "Beyond Contact" recently. I've seen some say it "isn't hard core" but if you get a bad seed it can be pretty tough. And if you can succeed in the your first playthrough, you are pretty good. By the time I figured it out I had basically run out of time. My second run fairly far into my run my base got destroyed because a void opened not far away. When I came back and saw the base destroyed I just simply started a third save.
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 20, 2021, 18:36
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 18:36
Oct 20, 2021, 18:36

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 11:02:
Man this game just keeps putting out content.

But is it fun? I've been tempted to check it out because I know it has some survival aspects to it, and I like that genre. But again, will I get bored or is there a lot to do?
I've had two runs in it, each one 50 hours or so. I really like it, and definitely got my money's worth. People complain that "all the creatures and planets look the same," which from my experience is untrue. If you go to enough planets, you eventually see the seams, but it takes 50 hours to get there. In the meantime, there's wonder after wonder, combined with collecting cool spaceships, base building, and survival. There's really nothing else like it right now. This announcement makes me want to start a new game...

EDIT: What Shreek said.
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 20, 2021, 18:33
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 18:33
Oct 20, 2021, 18:33

Do we have worm signs?

There were timed events (like the Normandy from Mass Effect), so the answer is yes. That is pretty typical these days especially with games that have seasonal or battle passes.

Oct 20, 2021, 18:20
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 18:20
Oct 20, 2021, 18:20
 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 16:44:
Do we have worm signs?

Mhh, in the new movie they have ships that are city building sized just hovering smoothly to the surface.. I doubt they have any issues making a harvester fly. Let's face it, when this was written, drone technology, AI's and nanomaterials weren't a thing yet And let's not even get me started on the Fremen.. what do they eat exactly???
For a hearty hearty breakfast, they eat Spice Crunch! 🥣 The Breakfast of Titan champions! 💥
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Oct 20, 2021, 18:13
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 18:13
Oct 20, 2021, 18:13

It really isn't very much of a survival game except for the first 10-20 minutes it takes to get some basic resources and fix your ship. That said, if you like space games it is well worth the purchase, especially if you pick it up on sale.

For survival I have been playing "Beyond Contact" recently. I've seen some say it "isn't hard core" but if you get a bad seed it can be pretty tough. And if you can succeed in the your first playthrough, you are pretty good. By the time I figured it out I had basically run out of time. My second run fairly far into my run my base got destroyed because a void opened not far away. When I came back and saw the base destroyed I just simply started a third save.

Oct 20, 2021, 17:00
Dev
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 17:00
Oct 20, 2021, 17:00
Dev

WannaLogAlready wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 16:25:
Where are they, what are they doing, ah, the melancholy of times gone.
Lately I find increasingly fascinating anything old and picturing where was I at that time.
Ironically this morning I got a bunch of pictures from a trip to europe I did many years ago and was reminiscing.

Oct 20, 2021, 16:44
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 16:44
Oct 20, 2021, 16:44

Do we have worm signs?

Mhh, in the new movie they have ships that are city building sized just hovering smoothly to the surface.. I doubt they have any issues making a harvester fly. Let's face it, when this was written, drone technology, AI's and nanomaterials weren't a thing yet And let's not even get me started on the Fremen.. what do they eat exactly???

Oct 20, 2021, 16:25
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 16:25
Oct 20, 2021, 16:25

Shreek wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 13:00:
I got about 250 hours out of the game before I felt like I had seen everything I needed to.
The general idea is:
  • explore and experience the different procedurally-generated environments
  • accumulate resources
  • accumulate ships
  • build bases
  • build resource extractors for income
  • acquire and improve your freighter

Thanks, nice list to use !
Noticed you have 9 posts spanning 17 years, 1st one in 2004
Had to view that old post, and found nin with 41600 posts then, and Enjoy with 21176 posts.
Where are they, what are they doing, ah, the melancholy of times gone.
Lately I find increasingly fascinating anything old and picturing where was I at that time.

Oct 20, 2021, 16:20
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 16:20
Oct 20, 2021, 16:20

Usul has called a big one! Again, it is the legend!
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Oct 20, 2021, 16:02
Dev
Re: No Man's Sky Expedition Four: Emergence Emerges Oct 20, 2021, 16:02
Oct 20, 2021, 16:02
Dev

Shreek wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 13:00:
It was a lot of fun for the time I put into it. There is a point where there's nothing new left to do, however. They've added these seasonal challenges, but all those do is require you to start a new character from the beginning and grind your way to a seasonal goal, with an account-persistent reward. I haven't played since they introduced communities, so I can't speak to that. It was definitely worth the purchase price.
This bothers me a bit. I haven't played the game yet. Are you saying that I've missed out on a bunch of things in the game that I can no longer get as a late starter?
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older