Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden

EA SPORTS tweets that Jon Gruden's name and likeness are being removed from Madden NFL 22. Gruden was fired from his position of head coach by the Las Vegas Raiders after racist and homophobic emails written by him surfaced over the weekend. Now he is being fired from the virtual NFL as well:
EA Sports is committed to taking action and maintaining a culture of inclusion and equity. Due to the circumstances of John gruden's resignation, we are taking steps to remove him from Madden NFL 22. We will replace him with a generic likeness via a title update in the coming weeks.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden
Oct 16, 2021, 06:31
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 16, 2021, 06:31
Oct 16, 2021, 06:31

Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:43:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:31:
Breaking news: Every email you ever sent from or received on your work email account, isn't private.

What are you talking about? Every work email = public? So There's no such thing as a reasonable expectation of privacy in a private email???

I think we've lost the thread here pretty badly, people don't even know what they're arguing for anymore.

Are you all for zero privacy? Or just really excited about being anti-racism?

No, every work email = accessible by your employer. You cannot send "private" emails from a work email account. You keep trying to make this about privacy, but you have no privacy in your work correspondence. This has nothing to do with "public" vs "private", and everything to do with "employee" vs "employer". Anything you do while being paid by your employer, using your employer's resources, is the property of your employer, who can do with it whatever they want - including terminate you if they don't happen to like it. This includes the contents of your email.

Oct 14, 2021, 23:21
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 23:21

And, as a reminder to all the "can't people change" arguments, yes, when we see evidence. People that show contrition and give a sincere apology get to have us accept change.

Gruden did not show remorse. When the first email leaked, he lied about its meaning. That's not someone you trust changed.

Ask his team. They're the most important

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 23:21

Beamer wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 23:01:
If Gruden loses his wife, a former cheerleader, it's probably because the WFT investigation is around the treatment of cheerleaders, and Gruden got wrapped up in it by sending numerous photos of naked WFT cheerleaders to WFT employees on official WFT servers.

I'd wager she does not like that much
I wonder if she was one of the photos?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 14, 2021, 23:02
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 23:02
Oct 14, 2021, 23:02

Personally, I find it very easy to not send inappropriate emails.

Oct 14, 2021, 23:01
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 23:01
Oct 14, 2021, 23:01

If Gruden loses his wife, a former cheerleader, it's probably because the WFT investigation is around the treatment of cheerleaders, and Gruden got wrapped up in it by sending numerous photos of naked WFT cheerleaders to WFT employees on official WFT servers.

I'd wager she does not like that much

Oct 14, 2021, 22:28
NKD
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 22:28
Oct 14, 2021, 22:28
NKD

Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 17:09:
Do you think that this is how society should function?

There has never been a time when society didn't function this way, nor will there be a time when it doesn't. There has ALWAYS been consequences for being a piece of shit. Yes, it's true that email and social media make shit you say and do last a lot longer in the public memory, but nothing is going to change the underlying psychology of people not liking people who are pieces of shit.

It's never been the case that you get a free pass at work for everything you do outside of work. Particularly when that stuff you do outside of work ends up in your employers lap and they are forced to choose between pretending they never saw it, and asking for your resignation (or in this case, not even that, since he quit without being asked.)

I find it really weird that you're going to bat for the idea that people have a right to be free from the societal consequences of being a piece of shit. That so long as they only behave reprehensibly after they punch their time card, that no one is allowed to care.
Burrito of Peace wrote:
tell them their DMCA doesn't mean shit and to go eat a bowl of dicks.

Oct 14, 2021, 18:13
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 18:13
Oct 14, 2021, 18:13

LordSteev wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 17:58:
Should he lose his wife and family for comments he made years ago in an e-mail that, whether public or private, was no doubt addressed to one person? He may have been talking that way to THAT PERSON IN PARTICULAR, because he knew that person would be receptive to that kind of language.
I believe the original email leaked to WP on Friday was to multiple recipients. Don't know about the others. As for "years ago" the emails cover from 2011 to 2018 so technically yes "years ago", but certainly not the two decades ago, like the example given by Slick on the Tokyo Olympics director...

Oct 14, 2021, 17:58
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 17:58
Oct 14, 2021, 17:58

Just a little gas for the fire...

It was my understanding that Gruden resigned, and wasn't fired. In fact, the GM of the Raiders loves the guy, and didn't want him to quit.

I understand the points Slick is trying to make, too. I'm a liberal, but I have a problem with Witch-hunts going on today about things that happened more than a decade ago.

Not saying Gruden was right, or agreeing with him in the slightest, but a person is entitled to their beliefs, no matter how fowl they are to others. Our ex-pres. was publicly shown to think it's ok to pick up women like a six pack if you're 'famous', and he was allowed to run for the highest public office in the land. I hated Trump, and everything he stood for, but I agree with the idea that he had the right to run for office.

I think Gruden quit for the reasons some of you have already mentioned. I think he came to the realization that he would never be able to command the respect of his players again. That's his bed, and he made it. Should he lose his wife and family for comments he made years ago in an e-mail that, whether public or private, was no doubt addressed to one person? He may have been talking that way to THAT PERSON IN PARTICULAR, because he knew that person would be receptive to that kind of language.

Again, not saying he should have, or that it was right, I'm just saying I agree with Slick that Witch-hunts in general should probably be curtailed.

Oct 14, 2021, 17:41
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 17:41
Oct 14, 2021, 17:41

Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 17:09:
Cause this guy was such a cultural public figure? A coach for a football team? I've never heard of him before. Ted Lasso is more of a public figure, and he's not real!
I knew a lot more about Jon Gruden prior to this incident than I'm likely to ever know about Ted Lasso. Heck, I had to Google Ted Lasso about a month ago when I read something somewhere and I had no idea who it was. NFL football is the biggest sport in the US. Anyone who would call themselves a NFL fan knew who Jon Gruden is/was.

Oct 14, 2021, 17:28
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 17:28
Oct 14, 2021, 17:28

Here are my views on Women’s Health, I don’t even think you can misconstrue them.
Feel free to worship at the altar of your millionaire and billionaire racist’s.
I’m out.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Oct 14, 2021, 17:18
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 17:18
Oct 14, 2021, 17:18

Read my comments carefully, I did not claim anyone was pure or without sin. We aren't talking about Biden, MLK, Trump, Sterling, or whoever. We are talking about Jon Gruden. However I will grant you that it is likely, if not guaranteed, all of us have said and done things we regret and would not like to see the light of day. And yes, we all have biases and prejudices. However, it is learned behavior. Babies of different races don't treat each other differently.

Do I think Jon Gruden is a racist? Depends on how you want to define it I guess. He seems to talk like one. The only person I've seen come forward and say anything close to "I told you so" is Keyshawn Johnson. Who apparently has been telling people for years that Jon Gruden was a "fraud". However, given the lack of people coming forward to say Gruden said X or did Y to me, which was racist -- I have to believe it is likely he kept his socially unacceptable feelings mostly private/hidden. Although a lot of people exited the building from Tampa Bay after the Superbowl win (Gruden's first year with the team). Was that just his "gruff" personality rubbing people the wrong way? Could be.

If my assumption is right about Gruden "hiding" his racism, does that mean he isn't a racist? Or maybe it means he is a "non-practicing racist" whatever that might mean? Beats the hell out of me.

This is what I do know: He repeatedly said racists things in emails to people working in the NFL while he was a member of the media covering the NFL. This indisputably disqualifies him from being a staff member of an NFL team. Period.

Oct 14, 2021, 17:09
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 17:09
Oct 14, 2021, 17:09
 Slick

See right there RedEye, you're proving my point by showing a transcript of a private conversation, taped without his knowledge. It's bullshit. Do you think that this is how society should function? You might be a fan of the new Texas Abortion law which deputizes citizens to narc on anyone even assisting an abortion. Citizens secretly taping the uber driver so that their life can be ruined. Oh that's totally different because your cause is righteous and the other cause is evil? Hmm.

Also, what Sterling said was super shitty, let's be real, it's a pretty bad look, no one's arguing that. What I would argue, is: Do you think that's the face of real racism? The guy surrounded with black people and who's girlfriend is black? That's some very "cafeteria" racism if you can turn it off when you're literally inside a black girl :/ Do you think the punishment suits the crime? His name will forever be known for this one incident, when he was taped in private. Shit I'm Jewish and I think it was bullshit that the Mel Gibson tape somehow became a part of our culture, that shit was private. I don't give a shit how nutty he is in his private life. Have you ever seen a Tom Cruise movie? Guy's a fucking whacko IRL, how do you square that circle? Since when do we need to know everyone's darkest private moments like they're any of our fucking business? Cause this guy was such a cultural public figure? A coach for a football team? I've never heard of him before. Ted Lasso is more of a public figure, and he's not real!
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 14, 2021, 16:45
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 16:45
Oct 14, 2021, 16:45
 Slick

TheUpsidesDown wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 16:24:
The country is slowing losing its soul. The ability to empathize and to forgive.

People make mistakes but only one side of the aisle is routinely forgiven for theirs.

I can't really comment on what's happening with the "other side" It really is just unrepentant evil at this point. But one thing I've noticed is that they're not just forgiven, they're outright absolved. Evangelicals voting for trump, making excuses for the Holywood Acess bus tape, making excuses for Stormy... Then on the left we have Al Franken who spent his short Senate career going to bat for women's rights, and taking up fights no one else would on women's behalf.... Sexist! Mysogenist! Cancel him! Make him disappear! lol

There is real evil in the world, and it's not hard to find. Which makes the whole left-side losing their minds over basically nothing so aggravating. I guess they're just a much easier target? Becuase if you guys open your eyes there's literally Satan trying to destroy the world right now, but you wanna go after this guy? For being a racist in private? If being racist in private was a federal crime, 90% of this country would be doing hard time. "What you in for?" "Asian driving joke, 2007" "damn".
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 14, 2021, 16:44
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 16:44
Oct 14, 2021, 16:44

Ain’t no one crying over a billionaire piece of shit racist. https://www.forbes.com/profile/donald-sterling/?sh=377dffbd1eea

You pick the oddest mounds of dirt to plant your flag. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-sterling-racist_n_5218572 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Oct 14, 2021, 16:34
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 16:34
Oct 14, 2021, 16:34
 Slick

@ Mr. Tact

You should refresh your memory about Sterling, it was also about major league sports, had a similar outcome, and the punishment didn't fit the crime. He lost everything. He's a pariah. You can look it up or take my summary as-is: it was about a wealthy old white man, who employed and signed large cheques for lots of black athletes, who had a black girlfriend, and who said to her that she could bang all the other black dudes she wants, just don't post Instagram pictures of them and bring them to my basketball games. He was telling his woman-of-colour girlfriend that he was down with her sleeping around, with black guys, just don't post pictures of them or bring them to my games. He said this not in a company email, nor Gmail, he said it with words out of his human mouth.

And no one ever asked the simple question, why would a racist surround themselves with mostly black people? Why would he be banging a black woman? Didn't matter, he needed to go, very klansman, obvious piece of shit, deserved to have his life stripped from him, and all his dignity too as if he was caught lighting a 10 foot cross on a black person's lawn. Absurd.

That's all you need to know to understand that it doesn't make any difference what this current asshole's email is. If his maid found an email of his while dusting his laptop, and sent it to the press, it would be the same lynch mob after him. The fact is he wasn't under investigation for anything, which I'll assume means that he wasn't going around talking about how he hates gay people and black people... just a guess. From the sounds of it, it was a big surprise to everyone...

It would be nice if everyone stopped acting like who you are in public and who you are in private are the same thing. Martin Luther King Jr: Civil rights legend in public, adulterer in private. Stop pretending that everyone is a saint, that no one has ever said the wrong thing, and that the solution is to just get rid of people. Dr. King would have been cancelled so hard if this nonsense was happening in his time.

Racial bias is inherent is almost all people, it's subconscious, you literally can't control it. People often trust people of different racial groups less just by seeing their face on a flashcard. That's not racism. Racism is leaning into those thoughts and creating an identity around it. Was this guy running an alt-right hate group online? Getting in front of a podium saying god hates f@%$? NO! He was talking in fucking private. And I know you'll just keep saying "cause it was a company email" that's the same thing as "replying all" to everyone in the company, and also everyone on the planet now... Fuck's sake, having a private 1 on 1 conversation with someone is not the same as your public persona. How is that hard to grasp. And how is the rebuttal "well obviously all private one-on-one communication is public if you use the wrong domain and we find out that you're an asshole"

Do you really think you've never met a black person who is biased against white people? They probably didn't scream it in your face, and you probably get along just fine with them at work, but perhaps in private they have thoughts on the subject of "whitey"? No? Everyone's always a saint in private huh. Especially you ^_^ Gotta love hypocritical liberals who act like their shit don't stink. Like you've never had a private conversation that was off-colour. Give me a break. You're not a saint, you're a human. You know how I know? Takes one to know one.

removed
Oct 14, 2021, 16:24
removed Oct 14, 2021, 16:24
Oct 14, 2021, 16:24

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Oct 14, 2021, 16:58. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)

Oct 14, 2021, 16:05
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 16:05
Oct 14, 2021, 16:05

There has already been speculation the team "threw" the game on Sunday, when we only knew about one email. If there is any reality in that, imagine what it would be like after the revelation it was many emails over a seven year period.

Oct 14, 2021, 15:58
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 15:58
Oct 14, 2021, 15:58

Not to mention, you cannot demote an NFL coach, nor can you put them on two months unpaid leave. That's naive insanity.

First, their contract doesn't allow it.

Second, that means you need a new head coach. New head coaches typically fire old coaching staffs. They want their guys. Either ones they've worked with, or ones that fit the scheme their building. If Gruden got demoted the odds of him being kept around are nil. Especially as some employeesmay be weirdly loyal to him.

Lastly, Gruden made $10m/y. The step down, offensive coordinator for Gruden, makes $500k-$1M.

Sure, Slick. You're going to demote him, take away 95% of his salary, bring in a new head coach, cut that coaches authority by forcing him to keep the old boss around, and hope the equipment manager doesn't love Gruden and take this out on the new guy. You also ignore angry fans and players taking time off because of what their coach said. And you think other players will happily choose you over other teams.

I'm sure teams doing this will find tons of success on the field. All to protect one racist homophobe at the expense of the players, the fans, and the organization.

Oct 14, 2021, 15:41
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 15:41
Oct 14, 2021, 15:41

Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 15:23:
You're right, however the majority of the hate in this thread isn't concerned with whether it was a work or gmail server the guy used. What matters is that he's a piece of shit and needs to die a humiliating public death.
He clearly has issues and I have no sympathy for the fate he is living through, it is of his own making.

And if it was a gmail account, whose wielding pitchforks in here would be just as angry. They'd be calling for blood even more. Not one of them would say: "but it was a private message". They don't care. They just want blood.

Returning to the initial Donald Sterling incident, it was something that he said, verbally, to someone he was so close with, he was boinking her. And that was MORE than enough for him to lose everything. There is no expectation of privacy.

The domain at the end of his email address doesn't matter. The public loves a public hanging. And if you get in the crosshairs of the moral thought-police then your whole life is forfeit. People have literally killed themselves for going through far less shame and humiliation.
I'm having significant problems parsing what you are trying to say here. As I have said, if Gruden was using his private Google email and sending it to another private Google email, then the NFL would not have found them and they would not have been leaked. At one time I might have known something about what Sterling did or said, but I can't recall it now. I certainly don't remember feeling like he got screwed over. But whatever.

If it was my company would I react like this? Probably not. I'd punish them by making them sit through some unpaid sensitivity training, demote them, and send them on two months of unpaid leave to think over their actions. That's a pretty big punishment. But apparently, that's not enough, you have to hang them in the public square. :/ That's the whole problem with cancel culture, there are no shades of grey. And this is not even an egregious incident. He said terrible things, and recently, he deserved to be punished.
So, you would let someone who was clearly racist continue to run an organization which was 75% minorities? (the 75% number is pulled out of my ass, but a large majority of NFL players are black)

Compare that with the Tokyo Opening Ceremonies Director being fired for a 20-year-old JOKE. It's absurd.
Again, I can't parse what you are attempting to communicate here. Are you saying the Olympic director got it worse than Gruden?

Oct 14, 2021, 15:40
Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 15:40
Oct 14, 2021, 15:40

Hell, Nassib, the rare openly gay NFL player, who Gruden coached, took the day off to process this. Gruden's private words on an NFL server damaged his team.

And, as a gay former player said:
Retired NFL player Ryan O’Callaghan, who came out six years after leaving the league, told The Advocate, “If anything, the backlash and consequences Gruden faced because of the emails will make closeted players feel even more supported.”
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older