9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Oct 14, 2021, 18:00
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 18:00
Oct 14, 2021, 18:00

AMDs W11 poor performance Shirley wasn’t due to politics.

20 Years Later, Xbox Creator Apologizes To AMD CEO For Last-Minute Switch To Intel - "Pure Politics"
https://www.bluesnews.com/s/241569/morning-consolidation
I’m quoting the 🛫🐧 because I wanted that info in my search history.
The Flying Penguin wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 17:20:
Windows has ALWAYS been tweaked for Intel first. Now that may be because of secret deals in back rooms, or just because it's the original CPU architecture that the Windows kernel was written for, or because the MS programmers are more familiar with Intel CPU idiosyncrasies... Or probably a mix of all of the above.

Win10 didn't play nice with AMD CPUs originally either, but it was eventually sorted out. AMD uses some unique and proprietary techniques in their CPUs, and MS has to code 'shims' into the kernel and drivers to handle it, because the base kernel and drivers are written for Intel. A lot of the OS testing is done on VMs and... surprise, VMs emulate Intel hardware.

It's embarrassing for MS, and another sign of their poor focus on coding for updates, and stupid reliance on the Windows Insider program for beta testing, instead of testing in house. And of course, most Insiders are testing Win11 on... Wait for it! VMs that emulate Intel hardware.

They will fix this. It's not that big a deal. No one should really be installing Win11 unless they understand that they will actually be free beta testers for the next year. AMD users, like me, should definitely hold off. I know people want the new and shiny OS, but Win10 is a solid OS right now that's not due for end of support for four years, so there's really no rush.

Be smart. Don't be a first adopter unless you actually want to help MS for free (and that's cool), and don't be surprised if the shit hits the fan a few times in the coming year. Backup your data.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2021, 18:17.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Oct 14, 2021, 17:20
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 17:20
Oct 14, 2021, 17:20

Windows has ALWAYS been tweaked for Intel first. Now that may be because of secret deals in back rooms, or just because it's the original CPU architecture that the Windows kernel was written for, or because the MS programmers are more familiar with Intel CPU idiosyncrasies... Or probably a mix of all of the above.

Win10 didn't play nice with AMD CPUs originally either, but it was eventually sorted out. AMD uses some unique and proprietary techniques in their CPUs, and MS has to code 'shims' into the kernel and drivers to handle it, because the base kernel and drivers are written for Intel. A lot of the OS testing is done on VMs and... surprise, VMs emulate Intel hardware.

It's embarrassing for MS, and another sign of their poor focus on coding for updates, and stupid reliance on the Windows Insider program for beta testing, instead of testing in house. And of course, most Insiders are testing Win11 on... Wait for it! VMs that emulate Intel hardware.

They will fix this. It's not that big a deal. No one should really be installing Win11 unless they understand that they will actually be free beta testers for the next year. AMD users, like me, should definitely hold off. I know people want the new and shiny OS, but Win10 is a solid OS right now that's not due for end of support for four years, so there's really no rush.

Be smart. Don't be a first adopter unless you actually want to help MS for free (and that's cool), and don't be surprised if the shit hits the fan a few times in the coming year. Backup your data.

- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Oct 14, 2021, 16:59
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 16:59
Oct 14, 2021, 16:59

most people wont notice and also most consumers wont notice the change of market trends due to flagging AMD performance on win11 - but there are definitely sectors that move so fast that these kinds of issues actually DO impact sales on a fairly significant level in those areas... and its the kind of industrial espionage that happens all the time at the level of those broader and more nebulous events that are nearly impossible to track but still cause strong shifts - altho I suspect it will also become increasingly transparent as the industry crunches down and breaks up a bit

Oct 14, 2021, 10:37
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 10:37
Oct 14, 2021, 10:37

I don't know why people make such a fuss over extremely minor, short-term issues...;) First, the issue doesn't mean that nothing runs well on Win11--everything runs just fine, actually. Nothing I have comes close to being "hobbled" on my 3900X. People use the word "hobbled" without having a handle on the meaning there, for some reason. Hobbled is a strong word and a very dramatic word that doesn't fit here at all. But it brings in page hits...etc.

If not for benchmarks, few would even notice the issue, actually. I am glad it has been noticed, though! That's why it's being fixed so quickly. You may not recall it, but Microsoft was aiding AMD enormously when it came to 64-bit Windows & CPU driver support--at a time when Intel was paying off every Tom, Dick, and Harry it could "influence" not to sell anything made by AMD (eg, Dell most notoriously.) Microsoft was of huge help in supporting the original K7 CPUs when they debuted and knocked Intel from the performance throne for the first time. So Microsoft is definitely a good friend of AMD--that's not to say that Microsoft has not been a good friend to Intel, it's only to say that Microsoft has been a friend to both companies through the years. New OS tweaking often happens in the introductory period surrounding every new OS release I've used since MS-DOS in the '80's. And it's always remedied quickly because it is a minor issue. OS CPU drivers, especially these days when new CPUs are exponentially more complex than they were when CPUs actually were "x86" inside, always require tweaking after being launched to the masses. (Like so much else...;))

But the punchline? In a week or so, all of this will be history...;)
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Oct 14, 2021, 10:20
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 10:20
Oct 14, 2021, 10:20

Hattori Hanzō wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 10:03:
its hard not to think MS is colluding with Intel on that one... seems like one of those "conspiracy theories" that is a bit too conveniently labeled as such

ultimately i tend to look at end results in these kinds of things
I've seen a bunch of articles detailing what the issues are, but none that I've seen actually explain the cause, so it's hard to make this kind of determination. In any case, both MS and AMD have fixes that are supposed to be released next week.
Buy/HODL AMC! (Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor / this is not financial advice)

Oct 14, 2021, 10:03
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 10:03
Oct 14, 2021, 10:03

its hard not to think MS is colluding with Intel on that one... seems like one of those "conspiracy theories" that is a bit too conveniently labeled as such

ultimately i tend to look at end results in these kinds of things

Oct 14, 2021, 06:32
El Pit

Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 06:32
Oct 14, 2021, 06:32
 El Pit

Miners Ready Farms, Bots, And Bribes For New GPUs
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Oct 14, 2021, 02:08
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 14, 2021, 02:08
Oct 14, 2021, 02:08

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2021, 20:14:
I totally understand why Windows 11 is performing poorly on AMD systems. AMD is a new company and they are new to the CPU world so Microsoft hasn't had a chance to even see one of their processors much less program for it.

Intel's hand up MS's ass approves that statement.

Oct 13, 2021, 20:14
Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 13, 2021, 20:14
Oct 13, 2021, 20:14

I totally understand why Windows 11 is performing poorly on AMD systems. AMD is a new company and they are new to the CPU world so Microsoft hasn't had a chance to even see one of their processors much less program for it.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older