Back 4 Blood Released

Warner Bros. Games announces the launch of Back 4 Blood, as Left 4 Dead creator Turtle Rock Studios has returned to the co-op zombie shooter genre they helped originate. Here's the Launch Trailer and here are some details:
Developed by Turtle Rock Studios, the award-winning creators of the fan-favorite Left 4 Dead franchise, Back 4 Blood combines a dynamic co-op campaign with thrilling moment-to-moment gameplay and near endless replayability that can be played with up to four friends online. The game also features a unique take on competitive, team-based strategy through the game’s PvP (Player vs. Player) Swarm mode. The Back 4 Blood campaign takes place after a catastrophic outbreak where most of humanity has either been killed or infected by a parasitic Devil Worm. Gamers can play as apocalypse veterans called Cleaners, a group of spirited zombie slayers, as they take on the infected horrors known as the Ridden in their effort to reclaim the world.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Back 4 Blood Released
Oct 13, 2021, 07:14
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 13, 2021, 07:14
Oct 13, 2021, 07:14

I've had this on my wishlist, but I'm probably going to hold off for awhile, since they are saying that single player progression is separate from your multiplayer progression/unlocks? Unforgivable, especially if single player has to be online also.

Sometimes I just want to shoot some zombies at 3AM with some bot partners, and not have regrind the same shit later with a human team.

Oct 13, 2021, 01:44
Jim
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 13, 2021, 01:44
Oct 13, 2021, 01:44
Jim

I enjoyed the hell out of original L4D, PvP especially. L4D2 not so much. That seemed more like a cash grab scheme. Only played it enough to have "completed" it, although after the L4D map imports would have been worth revisiting. For vermintide, I did VT2 and absolutely loved the way they had their character system and character progression. Seemed genius in the way you could pick a character and it would match you up in a game with 3 of the other 4. Will be interested to see what they did here, but will have to wait until after....NW....

Oct 13, 2021, 01:31
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 13, 2021, 01:31
Oct 13, 2021, 01:31

Any thoughts on why they put Cyril in the game? Perhaps to appeal to Bluesers like us?

On the other hand, perhaps Hoffman is not based Cyril at all. Perhaps he's based on lead write Simon MacKenzie, who wrote himself into the game.

EDIT: MacKenzie said that he made Hoffman an accountant, so it's definitely Cyril.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 13, 2021, 01:12
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 13, 2021, 01:12
Oct 13, 2021, 01:12

Braden wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 16:48:
Jivaro wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 14:44:
Killing Floor/L4D/InsertZombieKilingGameHere....more of the same with slight variances. I am not saying zombie games should be more creative or original...I mean they are zombie games....but I do think it's possible to enjoy them and then burn out on them to the point that new one with flashier graphics isn't going to move any needles.

I'm just looking for a good co-op shooter - it doesn't have to involve zombies. The Vermintide games were very solid. I had once hoped that Space Hulk: Deathwing and Aliens: Fireteam Elite would be as well, but both didn't manage to retain their player bases very long.
Ugh, found Vermintide terrible. And I say that as a huge L4D fan.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 13, 2021, 01:08
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 13, 2021, 01:08
Oct 13, 2021, 01:08

Xero wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 13:30:
Braden wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 11:56:
It seems a bit odd that no reviews have been posted by most of the major gaming sites as of this moment in time.

The few reviews I have read so far seem to be fairly mixed - the most common complaints being the general lack of L4D's "charm", the ridiculous difficulty spike between "Normal' and "Veteran" modes, and the current restrictions on solo play (along with the fact that even single-player games have to be played online).

This was my complaint in the beta. It just reminded me to much of Killing Floor. A lot of shooting but lacking personality or as you put it, charm. Like L4D just felt so much more natural in how it handled all the set pieces. You could literally run by zombies that would ignore you and it felt "realistic" in how you might think a zombie apocalypse would go. In B4B, it was like nonstop madness of waves. It gets to the point where you just get tired of shooting at everything endlessly.

The pacing also feels too arcadey in comparison to L4D where you have moments of just walking and things felt quiet and you knew it was only a matter of time before things go crazy.
Curious if you played World War Z and how you think it compares.

As for those quieter moments, I wonder if that's the Story Director at work...
― Charles Bukowski

Oct 12, 2021, 17:56
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 17:56
Oct 12, 2021, 17:56

I just wished that ZA4 or ZAT had AI buddies ala L4D.

Bent wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 16:10:
Back 4 Blood beta wouldn't even launch for me. Plus that irritating bit about not being able to play single player unless you're online makes me want to not get this

For those that want a less run and gun and less arcade game, I'd recommend Zombie Army Trilogy (I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about Zombie Army 4, though).

Yes, Zombie Army Trilogy can sometimnes also get as frenetic with waves of zombies. However, it takes more thought and most things don't move quite so fast. The graphics are also good and very immersive.

Zombie Army 4 is rather more arcade and lost much of the feel of Zombie Army Trilogy.

Zombie Army Trilogy frequently comes up for sale at huge discounts. You can get it for about $10 on sale.

Both the campaign and co-op are very good. I don't play online games that much but I played the heck out of ZAT co-op.

ZAT also has quite a variety of different zombie baddies.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/301640/Zombie_Army_Trilogy/

Oct 12, 2021, 16:48
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 16:48
Oct 12, 2021, 16:48

Killing Floor/L4D/InsertZombieKilingGameHere....more of the same with slight variances. I am not saying zombie games should be more creative or original...I mean they are zombie games....but I do think it's possible to enjoy them and then burn out on them to the point that new one with flashier graphics isn't going to move any needles.

I'm just looking for a good co-op shooter - it doesn't have to involve zombies. The Vermintide games were very solid. I had once hoped that Space Hulk: Deathwing and Aliens: Fireteam Elite would be as well, but both didn't manage to retain their player bases very long.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Oct 12, 2021, 16:10
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 16:10
Oct 12, 2021, 16:10

Back 4 Blood beta wouldn't even launch for me. Plus that irritating bit about not being able to play single player unless you're online makes me want to not get this

For those that want a less run and gun and less arcade game, I'd recommend Zombie Army Trilogy (I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about Zombie Army 4, though).

Yes, Zombie Army Trilogy can sometimnes also get as frenetic with waves of zombies. However, it takes more thought and most things don't move quite so fast. The graphics are also good and very immersive.

Zombie Army 4 is rather more arcade and lost much of the feel of Zombie Army Trilogy.

Zombie Army Trilogy frequently comes up for sale at huge discounts. You can get it for about $10 on sale.

Both the campaign and co-op are very good. I don't play online games that much but I played the heck out of ZAT co-op.

ZAT also has quite a variety of different zombie baddies.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/301640/Zombie_Army_Trilogy/

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2021, 16:28.

Oct 12, 2021, 16:09
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 16:09
Oct 12, 2021, 16:09

It's the kind of multiplayer game that is designed in such a way that the players can ruin the whole experience. Aside from maybe playing co-op, I see no point in picking this one up

Oct 12, 2021, 15:46
PHJF

Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 15:46
Oct 12, 2021, 15:46
 PHJF

One reviewer said he didn't like the beta but the release is way better.. think it was PC Gamer.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Oct 12, 2021, 15:45
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 15:45
Oct 12, 2021, 15:45

I don't view a game like this as targeted for my demographic. What I mean by that is that if you are part of the demographic that already played zombie killing games to death and you are done with them...just in general....this isn't the game that is going to change your mind or bring you back. This is the game that does more of the same for people who love that and for people who haven't done it yet.

I am there anyway.

Some people just want modern co-op games to play with friends, and this would be one.

Oct 12, 2021, 14:44
Jivaro

Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 14:44
Oct 12, 2021, 14:44
 Jivaro

I don't view a game like this as targeted for my demographic. What I mean by that is that if you are part of the demographic that already played zombie killing games to death and you are done with them...just in general....this isn't the game that is going to change your mind or bring you back. This is the game that does more of the same for people who love that and for people who haven't done it yet.

I am there anyway.

Oct 12, 2021, 13:30
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 13:30
Oct 12, 2021, 13:30

It seems a bit odd that no reviews have been posted by most of the major gaming sites as of this moment in time.

The few reviews I have read so far seem to be fairly mixed - the most common complaints being the general lack of L4D's "charm", the ridiculous difficulty spike between "Normal' and "Veteran" modes, and the current restrictions on solo play (along with the fact that even single-player games have to be played online).

This was my complaint in the beta. It just reminded me to much of Killing Floor. A lot of shooting but lacking personality or as you put it, charm. Like L4D just felt so much more natural in how it handled all the set pieces. You could literally run by zombies that would ignore you and it felt "realistic" in how you might think a zombie apocalypse would go. In B4B, it was like nonstop madness of waves. It gets to the point where you just get tired of shooting at everything endlessly.

The pacing also feels too arcadey in comparison to L4D where you have moments of just walking and things felt quiet and you knew it was only a matter of time before things go crazy.

Oct 12, 2021, 11:59
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 11:59
Oct 12, 2021, 11:59

Not many, but not none.
https://www.bluesnews.com/s/241433/back-4-blood-reviews
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Oct 12, 2021, 11:56
Re: Back 4 Blood Released Oct 12, 2021, 11:56
Oct 12, 2021, 11:56

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older