Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods

A post on Reddit offers an "important PSA" about the upcoming Skyrim: Anniversary Edition (thanks DSOGaming). This is a warning that significant changes under the hood will break compatibility with many of the large number of modifications for the role-playing game. Word is: "the native code mod scene is going to be broken for an unknown length of time after AE's release." Here's more:
The reason for this is that as part of the AE update, Bethesda has decided to update the compiler used to build the 64-bit version of Skyrim from Visual Studio 2015 to Visual Studio 2019. This changes the way that the code is generated in a way that forces mod developers to start from scratch finding functions and writing hooks. Class layouts are unlikely to change, luckily. I didn't ask specifically, but the most probable reason for this is that the Xbox Live libraries used for achievements on the Windows Store are only available for 2017 and later. Some games have worked around this limitation by building the code that interacts with Xbox Live in to a secondary DLL that is dynamically loaded by the game, but they didn't choose this option.

Plugins using the Address Library will need to be divided in to "pre-AE" and "post-AE" eras. Code signatures and hooks will need to be rewritten. We will all need to find functions again. The compiler's inlining behavior has changed enough that literally a hundred thousand functions have disappeared and been either inlined or deadstripped, to put it in perspective.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods
Oct 13, 2021, 14:37
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 13, 2021, 14:37
Oct 13, 2021, 14:37

RogueSix wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 17:34:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 17:02:
Yes, in the article it mentions the upgrade the day SAE gets released.
I don't want some untested patch screwing up my current build (mods). Police

Then do what the author is suggesting in one of the follow-up posts. Always keep launching Skyrim via the SKSE loader (you would already be doing this if you use mods that depend on SKSE). Change the Steam setting to only update the game when you launch it. Never launch the game from within Steam or its Steam shortcut. Exclusively use the SKSE loader. Then you should never get the AE "patch" forced upon you.
That might work yes, but it's not very reliable afaik. It seems much safer to never be logged in Steam when running it, because there no Global Disable Updates.
Especially if bethesda intentionally makes the new game force Steam usage, i.e. makes it like Fallout 4 where SKSE requires Steam.
SKSE always needs to be updated after big patches and there maybe no way around it now days.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Oct 13, 2021, 05:20
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 13, 2021, 05:20
Oct 13, 2021, 05:20

Dunno, maybe those are old or there is some other way around it?

SkyUI won't work at all without SKSE running according to forums and stuff online.... yet it runs for me, I don't get that dialog about SKSE not running, and other menus and mods (and a little SKSE version number on escape menu) all seem to confirm that it's on and running.
I definitely launch Skyrim right from Steam and I don't see any command line options or anything special that I can see.

Edit: God all the shit out there is so ancient some "helpful" sites out there write shoddy articles that just recycle the old info.
Finally found something that backs up what I'm saying...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429510726
https://i.imgur.com/A3krRVx.png

How do I install SKSE?
Download the installer from the SKSE homepage[skse.silverlock.org] (beta build 1.7.3) and run it. In the past, some additional steps were necessary to start Skyrim with SKSE, but the newest version is now automatically loaded by Steam. So you just have to install it and you're done.

Oct 13, 2021, 04:31
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 13, 2021, 04:31
Oct 13, 2021, 04:31

Sepharo wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 20:46:
I followed the instructions and didn't see that ever come up.

I'm not sure which instructions you were following then because the instructions from the official SKSE website for the classic (non-SE) build state the following (bold highlighting added by me):

[ Installation ]

1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\. If you see files named TESV and SkyrimLauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.

2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

3. Copy the .psc files in Data\Scripts\Source\ into the Data\Scripts\Source\ folder of your installation. The .psc files are only needed if you have the CreationKit installed and intend to create or compile Papyrus scripts.

4. Launch the game via running skse_loader.exe. Steam must be running before launching Skyrim.

If you use a desktop shortcut to launch Skyrim normally, just update the shortcut to point to skse_loader.exe instead of TESV.exe or SkyrimLauncher.exe

Oct 12, 2021, 20:46
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 20:46
Oct 12, 2021, 20:46

RogueSix wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 19:32:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 18:35:
I play the original release, not SE or LE... and I use SKSE... but I can still launch from Steam and the SKSE stuff still works.

That's great for you but definitely not recommended. It might also depend on which mods one is using. Many mods that require SKSE only work fully correctly if Skyrim is launched via the skse_loader64.exe. There is a reason why the SKSE launcher was developed.

If anyone wants to avoid getting "upgraded" to the AE then using the launcher in conjunction with changing the Steam update settings will be a must.

I followed the instructions and didn't see that ever come up.
When I use the in-game MCM it shows that everything is correct and working for SKSE.

edit: I guess some other tool possibly replaced the executable Steam launches or something? Dunno. Had to install tons of prereqs for various mods.

Oct 12, 2021, 19:32
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 19:32
Oct 12, 2021, 19:32

Sepharo wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 18:35:
I play the original release, not SE or LE... and I use SKSE... but I can still launch from Steam and the SKSE stuff still works.

That's great for you but definitely not recommended. It might also depend on which mods one is using. Many mods that require SKSE only work fully correctly if Skyrim is launched via the skse_loader64.exe. There is a reason why the SKSE launcher was developed.

If anyone wants to avoid getting "upgraded" to the AE then using the launcher in conjunction with changing the Steam update settings will be a must.

Oct 12, 2021, 18:35
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 18:35
Oct 12, 2021, 18:35

RogueSix wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 17:34:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 14:11:
RogueSix wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 12:34:
The AE comes with 150 curated mods on board so console players will finally get a taste of the quality of Skyrim on PC. For console players all of this is win-win. They get to keep achievements and they get a ton of nice mods.

Consoles have had mods since the Special Edition came out in 2017 and they introduced Creation Club. The new version coming with a bunch of those add-ons included is just to create more value for another re-release, so you won't have to buy them separately with in-game currency.

Yeah, I know but console players have always just had the CC and its curated mods. They have never come close to the same level of freedom in modding as the PC gamers. That's why console gamers won't miss anything after the AE update. It's only PC gamers who are getting the short end of the stick here. Typical Microsoft shenanigans.

Then do what the author is suggesting in one of the follow-up posts. Always keep launching Skyrim via the SKSE loader (you would already be doing this if you use mods that depend on SKSE). Change the Steam setting to only update the game when you launch it. Never launch the game from within Steam or its Steam shortcut. Exclusively use the SKSE loader. Then you should never get the AE "patch" forced upon you.

Oct 12, 2021, 18:00
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 18:00
Oct 12, 2021, 18:00

My concern is MS and Bethesda softening people up for a more locked down streamlined modding portal with Creation Club 2.0 (or whatever they'll call it).

I doubt they'd do anything too rash immediately. Especially on a game most people already own.

Todd has always resented not getting a piece of all those free mods

Oct 12, 2021, 17:45
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 17:45
Oct 12, 2021, 17:45

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 17:39:
If that's the case, then it truly is messed up, and it'd be nice if their official descriptions from the initial announcement and ElderScrolls.com were more clear. It doesn't make sense to overwrite the SE unless that will no longer be sold, and why would they patch the SE executable without a purchase when the graphical improvements and such are supposed to be selling points for the AE?

I would recommend you read the entire Reddit post and some of the SKSE guy's follow-up posts. Any graphical improvements in the AE are apparently only from mods. Bethesda is not touching the source code of the renderer in any significant way according to the SKSE dude. The AE is a repackaged SE with those 150 curated mods included to make a quick buck on next gen consoles. That's it.

Oct 12, 2021, 17:39
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 17:39
Oct 12, 2021, 17:39

NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 16:07:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 14:37:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 14:23:
I generally wait at least 2 months before updating bethesda games.
Is there an "official way" to stop the special edition updating automatically on Steam?

There's no need, as it's not a free update. You can buy it standalone or, presumably, pay a lesser fee to upgrade from the SE (i.e. owning that gives you a discount on the new product).

According to the post:

Additionally, I can confirm that AE will be released as a patch to existing Special Edition installations, not as a separate game listing in Steam.

Seems like the game itself gets upgraded, even if you haven't got the additional content or whatever.

If that's the case, then it truly is messed up, and it'd be nice if their official descriptions from the initial announcement and ElderScrolls.com were more clear. It doesn't make sense to overwrite the SE unless that will no longer be sold, and why would they patch the SE executable without a purchase when the graphical improvements and such are supposed to be selling points for the AE?

Oct 12, 2021, 17:34
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 17:34
Oct 12, 2021, 17:34

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 14:11:
The AE comes with 150 curated mods on board so console players will finally get a taste of the quality of Skyrim on PC. For console players all of this is win-win. They get to keep achievements and they get a ton of nice mods.

Consoles have had mods since the Special Edition came out in 2017 and they introduced Creation Club. The new version coming with a bunch of those add-ons included is just to create more value for another re-release, so you won't have to buy them separately with in-game currency.

Yeah, I know but console players have always just had the CC and its curated mods. They have never come close to the same level of freedom in modding as the PC gamers. That's why console gamers won't miss anything after the AE update. It's only PC gamers who are getting the short end of the stick here. Typical Microsoft shenanigans.

Oct 12, 2021, 17:02
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 17:02
Oct 12, 2021, 17:02

NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 16:07:
Is there an "official way" to stop the special edition updating automatically on Steam?

There's no need, as it's not a free update. You can buy it standalone or, presumably, pay a lesser fee to upgrade from the SE (i.e. owning that gives you a discount on the new product).

According to the post:

Additionally, I can confirm that AE will be released as a patch to existing Special Edition installations, not as a separate game listing in Steam.

Seems like the game itself gets upgraded, even if you haven't got the additional content or whatever.

Oct 12, 2021, 16:07
NKD
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 16:07
Oct 12, 2021, 16:07
NKD

According to the post:

Burrito of Peace wrote:
tell them their DMCA doesn't mean shit and to go eat a bowl of dicks.

Oct 12, 2021, 14:48
Jivaro

Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 14:48
Oct 12, 2021, 14:48
 Jivaro

This will be interesting, I am not entirely sure that the Anniversary edition will do that well on PC based on what it offers and what it does to mods. I don't really see the point.

I mean sure, if the mod community picks it up and after a few months or a year things in the mod community catch up..maybe...but do I really need to buy Skyrim for like the 4th time? Just not seeing it.

Oct 12, 2021, 14:37
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 14:37
Oct 12, 2021, 14:37

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2021, 14:48.

Oct 12, 2021, 14:23
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 14:23
Oct 12, 2021, 14:23

Oct 12, 2021, 14:11
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 14:11
Oct 12, 2021, 14:11

Oct 12, 2021, 14:08
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 14:08
Oct 12, 2021, 14:08

You'd have to not understand how mods work to think that game updates aren't going to break them.
You already have to distinguish between vanilla, special edition, and legendary edition when perusing and selecting mods as is.

Oct 12, 2021, 12:49
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 12:49
Oct 12, 2021, 12:49

Bethesda, "You know those people that work on the games code, fixing the bugs, glitches, adding back in content, and improving the game as a whole?"
Random person, "You mean the customers?"
Bethesda, "yeah, those people... well... we've decided we dont care about them or their hard work"

Oct 12, 2021, 12:34
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 12:34
Oct 12, 2021, 12:34

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 12:05:
I wonder how many potential customers feel that it is worth sacrificing mods for achievements.

Since this compiler change appears (note that the SKSE guy is guessing) to be only for the Xbox achievements, I'm pretty sure that most console players won't be missing their non-existing mods too much.

This was to be expected though since it has been the case with every single one of the many remasters these days: The focus is 100% on consoles because the publishers want that easy PS5 and XSX money.
The negative effects on the PC mod scene are collateral damage. What counts to Microsoft/Bethesda is to get Skyrim on XSX. PC gamers are now officially 2nd class customers after the acquisition by Microsoft.

Oct 12, 2021, 12:26
Re: Skyrim: Anniversary Edition Will Break Mods Oct 12, 2021, 12:26
Oct 12, 2021, 12:26

ldonyo wrote on Oct 12, 2021, 12:12:
If I were interested in getting yet another copy of Skyrim, I would wait at least six months for all the unintended consequences of the compiler change to shake themselves out. I find it telling that Bethesda chose to do this in the most disruptive manner available to them, rather than finding a way to do it without breaking every mod made over the last decade. Bethesda of 10 years ago would not have done this in this fashion.
There’s a difference between people who make games because they love them and bean counters who orchestrate how games are made to squeeze out every last penny.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older