31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Saturday Interviews
Oct 10, 2021, 07:03
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 10, 2021, 07:03
Oct 10, 2021, 07:03

NKD wrote on Oct 10, 2021, 02:13:
milspecmonkey wrote on Oct 9, 2021, 17:06:
I wonder if we'll ever make it to the point where CNN eventually complains about WWII games being Nazi murder simulators....

There are people who complain about Nazis getting killed in games, but they aren't at CNN. When one of the recent Wolfenstein games was released, some people felt they were being personally attacked because some of the marketing used the phrase "Make America Nazi-Free Again" in a game where you in fact, attempt to make America Nazi-free again. Similarly, the depiction of a midwestern cult in a Far Cry game got backlash from the same group of people.

I doubt many people were offended by the exact words, but more about the over the top wokeness injected into Wolfenstein II when the rest of us remember the good ol days where every one just enjoyed shooting nazis. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Father Cutscene
Maybe, just maybe you are trying too hard when you make the "Christian" father comedicly racist, smack his "jew" wife, smack his own kid around, the dog, and then make the kid kill the dog all while somehow also talking about queers.

Thus it becomes an issue when Antifa types call absolutely anyone they disagree with a Nazi, that we are no longer just talking about the Nazis we all once agreed upon.

Oct 10, 2021, 06:49
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 10, 2021, 06:49
Oct 10, 2021, 06:49

History is written (and gamed) by the victors, closet Nazis and pointy headed journalists need to get over it.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Oct 10, 2021, 02:13
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 10, 2021, 02:13
Oct 10, 2021, 02:13

milspecmonkey wrote on Oct 9, 2021, 17:06:
I wonder if we'll ever make it to the point where CNN eventually complains about WWII games being Nazi murder simulators....

There are people who complain about Nazis getting killed in games, but they aren't at CNN. When one of the recent Wolfenstein games was released, some people felt they were being personally attacked because some of the marketing used the phrase "Make America Nazi-Free Again" in a game where you in fact, attempt to make America Nazi-free again. Similarly, the depiction of a midwestern cult in a Far Cry game got backlash from the same group of people.
Burrito of Peace wrote:
tell them their DMCA doesn't mean shit and to go eat a bowl of dicks.
Formerly known as NKD

Oct 10, 2021, 02:02
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 10, 2021, 02:02
Oct 10, 2021, 02:02

Dev wrote on Oct 10, 2021, 00:50:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 9, 2021, 19:56:
For example, one day I'd like to play as a German in the last days before the fall of Berlin, when the city is in shambles and the remaining civilians are starving and struggling to survive, or during the siege at Stalingrad ( maybe from both sides in this case? ), with a real plot, taking a real look, not a propaganda look at their lives, choices, their struggles, challenges and moral quandaries during that time. For once I'd like to hear their story, from their point of view.
Isn't "This War of Mine" kinda that?

This game was GREAT, but you know, not a first-person shooter or RPG AAA game.

Oct 10, 2021, 00:56
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 10, 2021, 00:56
Oct 10, 2021, 00:56

how is this different then any other World War one and 2 game how is it worse to kill a terrorist then a nazi

Oct 10, 2021, 00:50
Dev
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 10, 2021, 00:50
Oct 10, 2021, 00:50
Dev

Simon Says wrote on Oct 9, 2021, 19:56:
For example, one day I'd like to play as a German in the last days before the fall of Berlin, when the city is in shambles and the remaining civilians are starving and struggling to survive, or during the siege at Stalingrad ( maybe from both sides in this case? ), with a real plot, taking a real look, not a propaganda look at their lives, choices, their struggles, challenges and moral quandaries during that time. For once I'd like to hear their story, from their point of view.
Isn't "This War of Mine" kinda that?

Oct 9, 2021, 19:56
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 9, 2021, 19:56
Oct 9, 2021, 19:56

To be fair... when was the last time a videogame depicted events from the point of view of the US Empire's "enemies"? Has it even ever happened without it being set up to make the US Empire look good?

Surely there are countless other examples like this that could be explored and be interesting not only on a historical standpoint, but also a moral and gameplay standpoint without it simply turning into US Empire propaganda... No?

What did it feel like to live and fight as a Viet-Cong in tunnels, defending your homeland against US soldiers, seeing them raze the village you come from with napalm because they suspected it harbored enemies?

What did it feel like to live and fight as a young Afghan living in the mountains near Kabul, with the pressure to cooperate with the occupation forces on one hand and the incentives to resist madness when your innocent family, friends and fellow villagers are getting killed by "double tap" drone strikes as "collateral damage" and US soldiers targeting the wrong people while they are trying to kill Talibans?

I'd like one day for their tales to be translated to videogames.

Call it "Collateral Damage" and have it neutrally cover a wide range of conflicts in different short campaigns each telling a short story perhaps?

I'd play that.

Oct 9, 2021, 19:13
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 9, 2021, 19:13
Oct 9, 2021, 19:13

If they were donating every cent of sales for this game to the the victims of this atrocity, I'd believe them. Since they're not, they're merely using sensationalism to make a profit off an atrocity. That makes them pieces of shit, plain and simple.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, worries that the game could reinforce harmful stereotypes of Iraqis, as well as other Arabs and Muslims.

Oh, I think groups like the Taliban are doing a good enough job in that area.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Oct 9, 2021, 17:06
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 9, 2021, 17:06
Oct 9, 2021, 17:06

Oct 9, 2021, 15:54
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 9, 2021, 15:54
Oct 9, 2021, 15:54

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 9, 2021, 15:47:
It amazes me how people can be more upset about a video game than the Bush Administration's decision to invade foreign countries.

Meh, a person can be angry about both, but one of these is brand new.

Oct 9, 2021, 15:47
Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 9, 2021, 15:47
Oct 9, 2021, 15:47

It amazes me how people can be more upset about a video game than the Bush Administration's decision to invade foreign countries.
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older