Out of the Blue

Ridley Scott: "Gladiator 2" Is Ready To Go. I feel pretty bad about Ridley at this point. How is this supposed to work? I half expect him to announce Thelma and Louise II will be next after this.

Desktop visitors are currently being treated to a logo commemorating Unreal Tournament 2003. That title was forward looking, as the multiplayer shooter from Digital Extremes and Epic Games was actually first released on this date in 2002, making today its 19th anniversary. Thanks again to Walter "2" Costinak for first creating this logo back in 2002, and thank you to Steve for fixing it up to work properly with the tweaks to our format since then.

Sequel Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Auction

Follow-up

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

The workers who keep global supply chains moving are warning of a 'system collapse.
Oct 1, 2021, 04:12
The workers who keep global supply chains moving are warning of a 'system collapse. Oct 1, 2021, 04:12
Oct 1, 2021, 04:12

"Inconsistent requirements mean that some seafarers have been vaccinated multiple times because some countries have approved only certain vaccines, according to Platten.

He knows of at least one seafarer who has received six vaccine doses, or three two-dose regimens. "It's an absolute nightmare. I can't understand why we don't have some sort of global standard," he told CNN Business.

Meanwhile, the unequal distribution of vaccines globally means that only about 25% to 30% of seafarers, many of who are from India and the Philippines, are fully vaccinated, according to Platten."

Yiikes...

""There are people who have been stuck at sea for over a year," she said. (... ) At the peak of the crisis in 2020, 400,000 seafarers were unable to leave their ships for routine changeovers, some working for as long as 18 months beyond the end of their initial contracts, according to the ICS. ( ... ) Compulsory quarantines when disembarking and on arrival in their home countries can mean that pilots and seafarers spend a month of their vacation time stuck in a hotel room before they're able to see their families."

""Global supply chains are beginning to buckle as two years' worth of strain on transport workers take their toll," ( ... ) "All transport sectors are also seeing a shortage of workers, and expect more to leave as a result of the poor treatment millions have faced during the pandemic, putting the supply chain under greater threat," it added.

Guy Platten, secretary general of the ICS, said that worker shortages are likely to worsen towards the end of the year because seafarers may not want to commit to new contracts and risk not making it home for Christmas given port shutdowns and constant changes to travel restrictions."

Might be more than time to do something about this Damoclès sword?

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 1, 2021, 00:43
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2021, 00:43
Oct 1, 2021, 00:43
 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 20:38:
[rest snipped]
Thanks for that. I just updated the driver - I rolled back to a much earlier one as the last time I upgraded it had a lot of problems - and things seem to be working okay again. I will check out AIDA64 however. Cheers
You're welcome. How's the assassinate blocker scripting working?
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 30, 2021, 20:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 20:52
Sep 30, 2021, 20:52

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 20:21:
Can a monitor cause system slowdowns?
nope
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 30, 2021, 20:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 20:38
Sep 30, 2021, 20:38

Kxmode wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 19:59:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 18:23:
[rest snipped]

So any thoughts for monitor and GPU testing software?

1. AIDA64 Extreme (designed for testing AMD GPUs and CPUs).
2. FurMark (choose the standing OpenGL test; anything else might lead to a brick).
3. Unigine (can stress-test the GPU stability against a graphically intensive environment for an extended time. Heaven and Valley are good demos for that).
4. 3DMark.

All the above should also test your display while testing the GPU.

Thanks for that. I just updated the driver - I rolled back to a much earlier one as the last time I upgraded it had a lot of problems - and things seem to be working okay again. I will check out AIDA64 however. Cheers
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Sep 30, 2021, 20:21
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 20:21
Sep 30, 2021, 20:21

Can a monitor cause system slowdowns?
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Sep 30, 2021, 19:59
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 19:59
Sep 30, 2021, 19:59
 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 18:23:
[rest snipped]

1. AIDA64 Extreme (designed for testing AMD GPUs and CPUs).
2. FurMark (choose the standing OpenGL test; anything else might lead to a brick).
3. Unigine (can stress-test the GPU stability against a graphically intensive environment for an extended time. Heaven and Valley are good demos for that).
4. 3DMark.

All the above should also test your display while testing the GPU.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 30, 2021, 18:23
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 18:23
Sep 30, 2021, 18:23

Kxmode wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 17:02:
All good. Check out the resource monitor to see what's causing the GPU to spike. Also, check out the Event Viewer to see if there's anything that might shed light.

Are you overclocking your GPU? If so, you may want to disable that for now.

Hangs and sluggishness may not necessarily be the video card. That might be something in the background eating up resources. In the Resource Monitor, see if the CPU or Disk has high usage (~100%). Also, do you use a platter hard drive? Those are very slow compared to SSDs. My apologies. I'm grasping at straws. 🙂

With the exceptio
With the exception of my video card and monitor my system is brand new - built it several months ago. My GPU is an RX470 so it's going on 5 years old now and my monitor was released in 2012 - though I bought it in 2014. Both have some issues so it has to be one of the two, maybe both. I'll be getting a new monitor soon enough - waiting on the HDMI 2.1 models which are now arriving. And I need a new GPU obviously but I'm hoping to stretch it out n of my video card and monitor my system is brand new - built it several months ago. My GPU is an RX470 so it's going on 5 years old now and my monitor was released in 2012 - though I bought it in 2014. Both have some issues so it has to be one of the two, maybe both. I'll be getting a new monitor soon enough - waiting on the HDMI 2.1 models which are now arriving. And I need a new GPU obviously but I'm hoping to stretch it out as long as possible until GPUs get back to MSRP.

Sep 30, 2021, 17:02
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 17:02
Sep 30, 2021, 17:02
 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 16:56:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 16:51:
[rest snipped]
Sorry, I don't think it's your script now. Reinstalled FF and still the same problems, so I started usinjg edge and still the same issue with getting lots of hangs and the AMD tool asking me if I want to report it. Maybe my card is heading south. Anyone got a rec for good free software to test GPU stability? Ugh, that's going to suck if I have to buy a new card now.
All good. Check out the resource monitor to see what's causing the GPU to spike. Also, check out the Event Viewer to see if there's anything that might shed light.

Hangs and sluggishness may not necessarily be the video card. That might be something in the background eating up resources. In the Resource Monitor, see if the CPU or Disk has high usage (~100%). Also, do you use a platter hard drive? Those are very slow compared to SSDs. My apologies. I'm grasping at straws. 🙂

Sep 30, 2021, 16:56
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 16:56
Sep 30, 2021, 16:56
 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 16:51:
[rest snipped]
Sorry, I don't think it's your script now. Reinstalled FF and still the same problems, so I started usinjg edge and still the same issue with getting lots of hangs and the AMD tool asking me if I want to report it. Maybe my card is heading south. Anyone got a rec for good free software to test GPU stability? Ugh, that's going to suck if I have to buy a new card now.

Sep 30, 2021, 16:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 16:51
Sep 30, 2021, 16:51

Kxmode wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 16:49:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 16:26:
Hey KX, how do you uninstall your ad assainate script? A) It doesn't work anymore B) It's causing all kinds of hangs in Firefox now.
I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

Just realize that I never designed it, nor have I ever tested it, for Firefox. That said, you should have the ability to remove or deactivate the script in whatever user script manager you are using on Firefox.

By "it doesn't work anymore" and "it's causing all kinds of hangs in Firefox now," are you referring to just the websites you visit that the script is designed for? Have you tried disabling other extensions to see if the script functions without issue? Have you tried running the script in Firefox's private mode? Try eliminating those as potential known issues.

Sep 30, 2021, 16:49
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 16:49
Sep 30, 2021, 16:49
 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 16:26:
Hey KX, how do you uninstall your ad assainate script? A) It doesn't work anymore B) It's causing all kinds of hangs in Firefox now.
I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

Just realize that I never designed it, nor have I ever tested it, for Firefox. That said, you should have the ability to remove or deactivate the script in whatever user script manager you are using on Firefox.

By "it doesn't work anymore" and "it's causing all kinds of hangs in Firefox now," are you referring to just the websites you visit that the script is designed for? Have you tried disabling other extensions to see if the script functions without issue on those websites? Have you tried running just the script in Firefox's private mode against those websites? Try eliminating those as potential known issues.

Sep 30, 2021, 16:26
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 16:26
Sep 30, 2021, 16:26

Sep 30, 2021, 16:14
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 16:14
Sep 30, 2021, 16:14

Raised by Wolves started out mediocre... and turned into one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life. Without exaggeration. Those of you who didn't finish it, count yourselves lucky.

I used to think Ridley Scott was one of the greatest directors of all time, but he has produced some real shit lately. I suppose I should take a closer look at who was on his team for his great films, but I lack the energy currently.

Sep 30, 2021, 13:53
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 13:53
Sep 30, 2021, 13:53

Xero wrote on Sep 30, 2021, 12:31:
I'd expect that this will follow a new story but still, I hope they don't try to borrow from the first because it could end up weakening an amazing film, much like Matrix 2 and 3 did to the first. The first was legendary status until the sequels came out...
I think it was the writing and character dialog that let down the sequels to the Matrix. After the curtain was pulled back, I thought 2 and 3 did a decent job rebuilding the viewer's intrigue and creating story arcs... but any charm or personality of the characters (or between the characters) was lost, it all became rigid. The dialog was burdened with whimsical one-liners of prophecy that was tiring to listen to; the philosophy did not gain the layers to match that of the plot . Hugo Weaving's performances saved the trilogy, perhaps ironic that his acting as an out of control AI program had more convincing emotion behind it than the humans acting as humans.

I recently finished all seasons of Westworld, with Season 2 and 3 struggling to re-ignite the intrigue of the first season (imo) because of poor writing, flat acting, and the philosophy failing to match the twists and turns of the plot, much like the Matrix sequels.

I too have no idea how there can be a sequel to Gladiator...

Sep 30, 2021, 13:33
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 13:33
Sep 30, 2021, 13:33

The workers who keep global supply chains moving are warning of a 'system collapse.'

Welp, time to stock up on a year's worth of TP again, I guess.

Sep 30, 2021, 13:29
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 13:29
Sep 30, 2021, 13:29

Funny that the UT logo should come up today.

I was talking with a friend about how there is nothing modern that is quite like UT for the sheer fun of fragging and gibbing.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 30, 2021, 13:22
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 13:22
Sep 30, 2021, 13:22

Agreed with Xero. Stop it already with the sequels of old movies. It just doesn't work.

Also, never mind that Scott himself has been pretty hit or miss lately:
- Raised by Wolves was just okay. I watched the first two eps, and wasn't compelled to finish.
- Didn't see All the Money in the World, but reviews are pretty positive.
- Alien Covenant sucked.
- The Martian was pretty good.
- Exodus: Gods and Kings sucked.
- The Counselor sucked.
- Prometheus sucked hard.

Sep 30, 2021, 13:07
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 13:07
Sep 30, 2021, 13:07

Gorillas Perform Oral Sex at Bronx Zoo, Humans Horrified.
Bacon prices have skyrocketed to record levels, and they might not go down anytime soon.

So gorillas go down, bacon doesn't go down.
Was that order intentional Blue?

Also, "Humans horrified" should read "Americans horrified." Few other countries are as prudish as we are.

Re: Duck Stamps: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
Sep 30, 2021, 13:05
Re: Duck Stamps: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) Sep 30, 2021, 13:05
Sep 30, 2021, 13:05

Had never heard of these things. Four of the five original paintings LWT did are into the five digit range: https://www.ebay.com/e/charity/lastweektonight
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 30, 2021, 12:31
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2021, 12:31
Sep 30, 2021, 12:31

Leave it to money hungry studio execs to ruin a good thing. Gladiator has been a classic because it was the perfect beginning, middle and an ending kind of movie. We knew it ended there. There was no need for a sequel.

Of course those suits and ties execs were like, Gladiator is such a big hit when played on network TV and streaming shows, still to this day, what can we do to benefit off this? Oh yes, let's make a sequel where Maximus comes back from the dead or something stupid just to use the same Gladiator name and cash in on it and its status in movie cinema.

I'd expect that this will follow a new story but still, I hope they don't try to borrow from the first because it could end up weakening an amazing film, much like Matrix 2 and 3 did to the first. The first was legendary status until the sequels came out...
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older