New World Launches

Amazon Game Studios is now offering the chance to discover the New World, with the launch of New World, an ambitious MMORPG for Windows. This can be purchased and played on Steam, but naturally enough, you can pick up a copy on Amazon as well. Jokingly calling the game a "queue simulator," a tweet from SteamDB notes it is already putting up some impressive numbers: "Queue simulator New World beats Valheim's concurrent players peak and takes the 5th spot of all-time records with over 500,000 players." Here's the game's most recent Video Developer Diary, and here are some details:
Explore a thrilling, open-world MMO filled with danger and opportunity where you'll forge a new destiny for yourself as an adventurer shipwrecked on the supernatural island of Aeternum. Endless opportunities to fight, forage, and forge await you among the island's wilderness and ruins. Channel supernatural forces or wield deadly weapons in a classless, real-time combat system, and fight alone, with a small team, or in massed armies for PvE and PvP battles—the choices are all yours.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: New World Launches
Sep 29, 2021, 14:16
Re: New World Launches Sep 29, 2021, 14:16
Sep 29, 2021, 14:16

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2021, 08:43:
DarkCntry wrote on Sep 29, 2021, 01:32:
Tom wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 23:54:
DarkCntry wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 14:42:
Even at a billion FPS in the menu, it didn't cook GPUs, faulty production of the GPU cooked the GPUs. I mean, if you want to go against what EVGA even said themselves, feel free.
Faulty game + faulty GPU = dead GPU. Those GPUs were running other games fine and made it through plenty of tests and benchmarks until they came across this game. I don't know how that's going against what EVGA said. It's the truth.
Here's the thing, it was literally only those GPUs that died, a specific model number from a specific batch...EVGA issued RMAs and AGS applied a patch. Software, without malicious help, will not damage hardware because hardware is supposed to have encoded safe guards to keep things like that from happening. In the 3090 case, manufacturing defects that overloaded the capacitors of the card because it didn't know how to throttle itself.

So, once again, if it were faulty game being the culprit here, we'd have seen other GPUs, and definitely more of the same 3090 series, going tits up.
It had nothing to do with capacitors. It was faulty solder connections.
I posted links where EVGA explained it.
Weren't the solder connections through the capacitors though? I could've sworn I saw the GN remarks talking about it...either way though, it was still shoddy manufacturing of a card that people had already complained of issues with.

Sep 29, 2021, 08:43
Re: New World Launches Sep 29, 2021, 08:43
Sep 29, 2021, 08:43

DarkCntry wrote on Sep 29, 2021, 01:32:
Even at a billion FPS in the menu, it didn't cook GPUs, faulty production of the GPU cooked the GPUs. I mean, if you want to go against what EVGA even said themselves, feel free.
Faulty game + faulty GPU = dead GPU. Those GPUs were running other games fine and made it through plenty of tests and benchmarks until they came across this game. I don't know how that's going against what EVGA said. It's the truth.
Here's the thing, it was literally only those GPUs that died, a specific model number from a specific batch...EVGA issued RMAs and AGS applied a patch. Software, without malicious help, will not damage hardware because hardware is supposed to have encoded safe guards to keep things like that from happening. In the 3090 case, manufacturing defects that overloaded the capacitors of the card because it didn't know how to throttle itself.

So, once again, if it were faulty game being the culprit here, we'd have seen other GPUs, and definitely more of the same 3090 series, going tits up.
It had nothing to do with capacitors. It was faulty solder connections.
I posted links where EVGA explained it.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 29, 2021, 01:32
Re: New World Launches Sep 29, 2021, 01:32
Sep 29, 2021, 01:32

Sep 28, 2021, 23:54
Tom
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 23:54
Sep 28, 2021, 23:54
Tom

removed
Sep 28, 2021, 20:07
removed Sep 28, 2021, 20:07
Sep 28, 2021, 20:07

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Sep 29, 2021, 03:29. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 28, 2021, 19:43
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 19:43
Sep 28, 2021, 19:43

saluk wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 19:03:
Solution: allow players to play their character on whatever server is open. Use instancing for places where real estate is important. Let players switch their instance as needed. Design your game to work - and be fun - with these limitations.

What research did they do that let them think 2000 player max per server was a good idea.
The 2k cap is supposedly temporary, and a way to not overwhelm the community system they have in-game. The game has a heavy influence on capturing territories and upgrading towns, which requires a healthy amount of people, but they also need to keep a balance between who joins what faction so they don't heavily skew one particular one.

Now, the biggest issue is that the faction system doesn't take in full account of streamers with massive communities. It's why people are seeing servers with 20k+ people in queue when there are dozens of others servers with either less than a minute or no queue whatsoever.

Sep 28, 2021, 19:03
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 19:03
Sep 28, 2021, 19:03

Solution: allow players to play their character on whatever server is open. Use instancing for places where real estate is important. Let players switch their instance as needed. Design your game to work - and be fun - with these limitations.

What research did they do that let them think 2000 player max per server was a good idea.

Sep 28, 2021, 16:35
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 16:35
Sep 28, 2021, 16:35

I was positively surprised by the open beta. I expected to uninstall after five minutes but then I played it for a few hours through all of the tutorial missions. I have never been a huge MMO fan like those people who constantly switch between their FOTM MMO and I have always been more of a dabbler (mostly SWG, SWTOR, TESO) but I liked what I saw of New World. If there weren't so many other games to play and if I wouldn't have such an insane backlog then I could see myself spending a few months exploring the New World (PvE only). I might still do this one day just to take a character through the PvE story and to max level but first there are so many other games to finish... the New World will have to be saved by other players in the meantime Wink .

Sep 28, 2021, 16:34
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 16:34
Sep 28, 2021, 16:34

On the plus side, there's no subscription. Maybe try it when there's a sale like every other game that was expensive to make but turned out kind of mediocre 😁 If anything, it's something social to play when stuck in the house. I honestly have a tough time sticking with single-player games these days. I'd much rather play something co-op/team-oriented even if it's not that great

removed
Sep 28, 2021, 15:56
removed Sep 28, 2021, 15:56
Sep 28, 2021, 15:56

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Sep 28, 2021, 16:02. Reason: Personal attacks (rule 1)
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 28, 2021, 15:20
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 15:20
Sep 28, 2021, 15:20

DarkCntry wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 12:48:
Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 12:35:
Shitty game anyway. You're not missing anything. Honestly, it's like whoever made this has never even seen another MMO much less played one. Really just an awful game.
Another in a long line of "Hot Takes from Cutter".

As for anyone on the fence about the game, understand that it's an action RPG MMO. Launch weeks are going to suck. There are some serious issues with how AGS is handling populations, naming, and server coverage, but I doubt that'll last too long without change.

The game, itself, isn't bad for those that are more into community-driven aspects and less standard MMO-faire. I generally enjoy crafting/gathering more than raiding/dungeoning, so the game greatly appeals to me in that aspect.

Yep if it checks your boxes then you will like it. Cutter plays Conan and acts like that's the be all or something. I like NW better than Conan, don't hate either.

Sep 28, 2021, 15:18
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 15:18
Sep 28, 2021, 15:18

Meh, hard pass. I think I've dipped my toes into the majority of notable MMORPGs since WoW originally launched and I no longer have the kind of time (or effort) needed to invest in these anymore.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Sep 28, 2021, 14:56
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 14:56
Sep 28, 2021, 14:56

Tom wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 14:40:
Come on guys. This is the same game that ran at a million FPS in the menu and cooked GPUs. And the devs were like "we did nothing wrong! (but we'll fix it right away...)"

Not to mention Amazon's gaming track record in general. Expectations at zero.
^^this^^
But few read the followup.

The number of defective cards could be counted on the fingers and toes of three people.
EVGA said (via PC World) it only received about two dozen dead RTX 3090s that had failed from playing the New World beta.

Blue linked it here https://www.bluesnews.com/s/240163/evening-tech-bits
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 28, 2021, 14:50
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 14:50
Sep 28, 2021, 14:50

It has an unavoidable tax system. "Irony: The game" would have been a more apt title.

Sep 28, 2021, 14:42
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 14:42
Sep 28, 2021, 14:42

Tom wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 14:40:
Come on guys. This is the same game that ran at a million FPS in the menu and cooked GPUs. And the devs were like "we did nothing wrong! (but we'll fix it right away...)"

Sep 28, 2021, 14:40
Tom
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 14:40
Sep 28, 2021, 14:40
Tom

Sep 28, 2021, 13:24
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 13:24
Sep 28, 2021, 13:24

Dev wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 13:17:
DarkCntry wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 13:11:
You're conflating access to AWS with AWS availability.

AWS is a great service, and it has almost limitless scalability, but that doesn't make it biblically omnipresent.

The funny thing is that you seem to be misinformed about the server situation with New World, as you seem to think that they have a limited amount of servers when reality doesn't support that...

https://newworldstatus.com/

The problem with their servers is that they artificially capped all of them at 2000 people.

I'm completely uninformed about their particular setup there. Interesting, appreciate the link. So sounds like they do have unlimited ability to get servers going.

However, that gives them EVEN LESS EXCUSE. Because if that's the case, now all those issues are poor design decisions and implementations that don't lend well to scaling properly to avoid these negative experiences. Instead of the common "whoops we didn't expect all the load and are having issues getting new servers going" reasons that most new MMORPGs have. Even more evidence they haven't studied existing successful MMORPG designs and didn't properly test and stress their own designs. So it's gone now even more towards incompetence.
It's not incompetence, it's artificially attempting to control a population.

The game is heavily dependant on server population health, and having literally every one and their brother on a single small set of servers is not good for the overall health of the game. What is problematic here is that the artificial limits are not properly acknowledging large-scale streamers...which is why you can see on there that some servers have over 21k people in queue.

Sep 28, 2021, 13:17
Dev
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 13:17
Sep 28, 2021, 13:17
Dev

DarkCntry wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 13:11:

AWS is a great service, and it has almost limitless scalability, but that doesn't make it biblically omnipresent.

The funny thing is that you seem to be misinformed about the server situation with New World, as you seem to think that they have a limited amount of servers when reality doesn't support that...

The problem with their servers is that they artificially capped all of them at 2000 people.

I freely admit I'm completely uninformed about their particular setup there. Interesting, appreciate the link. So sounds like they do have unlimited ability to get servers going.

However, that gives them EVEN LESS EXCUSE. Because if that's the case, now all those issues are poor design decisions and implementations that don't lend well to scaling properly to avoid these negative experiences. Instead of the common "whoops we didn't expect all the load and are having issues getting new servers going" reasons that most new MMORPGs have. Even more evidence they haven't studied existing successful MMORPG designs and didn't properly test and stress their own designs. So it's gone now even more towards incompetence.

Sep 28, 2021, 13:11
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 13:11
Sep 28, 2021, 13:11

Dev wrote on Sep 28, 2021, 12:56:
As for anyone on the fence about the game, understand that it's an action RPG MMO. Launch weeks are going to suck. There are some serious issues with how AGS is handling populations, naming, and server coverage, but I doubt that'll last too long without change.
Previous big launches I've excused that... because physical servers, not having next door AWS access to freely increase and scale worldwide, etc. This time, nope, no excuse. This doesn't just reflect badly on the studio it reflects badly on AWS as a whole. This could have been a big bragging thing "Use AWS for game launch weeks, see how great we are and how smooth it will go because of that!" great PR thing. Could have allowed them to spin off a specialty scalable service for game launches especially MMORPGs, make a pile more money.

Sep 28, 2021, 12:56
Dev
Re: New World Launches Sep 28, 2021, 12:56
Sep 28, 2021, 12:56
Dev

Previous big launches I've excused that... because physical servers, not having next door AWS access to freely increase and scale worldwide, etc. This time, nope, no excuse. This doesn't just reflect badly on the studio it reflects badly on AWS as a whole. This could have been a big bragging thing "Use AWS for game launch weeks, see how great we are and how smooth it will go because of that!" great PR thing. Could have allowed them to spin off a specialty scalable service for game launches especially MMORPGs, make a pile more money.
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older