Out of the Blue

Looking forward to seeing my buddies this afternoon, as we've planned a get-together to watch some football. Everybody is fully vaccinated, and these gatherings are about all the socializing that any of us do, so we feel this is a pretty safe situation. It will be nice to see the boys so I'm glad we're making the effort before the weather makes such trips more difficult.

Obituary: Walter Scott, Billionaire Philanthropist, Dies At 90.

Pigskin Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Links

Story

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 28, 2021, 08:33
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2021, 08:33
Sep 28, 2021, 08:33

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 12:20:
I'm guessing it's installed with Experience, because you don't get any NVidia updates without Experience. There was a huge cry when NVidia said they were going to force Experience to be a part of the drivers, with no option to exclude it a few years ago. The masses won, so when you do a driver install and select custom, you always have the option to exclude Experience.

Also, DLSS 2.0 no longer requires game specific data to be downloaded like 1.0 required (that's the really big deal about DLSS 2.0, it learns on it's own without data updates), so you really don't need it.

I did a little reading and if you don't install NGX Core, then you still get the latest DLSS updates when you update your driver, so even if you are playing something that still uses DLSS 1.0 (and I THINK any AAA game that uses it has been updated to 2.0 by now) as long as your driver is up to date, you're fine.

I'd recommend uninstalling Experience if you don't use it, and see if NGX Core goes with it. My 2 cents. I never install it. Less is best. Experience used to be a very simple background app once, but now it's bloated into several background services. There's nothing I need in there, and everything works fine without it.

And get off my lawn, you kids!
You absolutely can get drivers without gfexperince because that's how I do it. Download the package, install Custom and select Drivers Only.
Then I set the Containers to Manual, because when ever I've tested Container it really hasn't helped.
BUT it does love to report back to home base. It constantly sends your settings and games played info directly to the Xenuians. Alien
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Sep 28, 2021, 08:29
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2021, 08:29
Sep 28, 2021, 08:29

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 11:18:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 10:55:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 26, 2021, 15:15:
Does anyone use the NGX Updater? I've very hesitant to let it connect or download.
I don't use gforce experince and nv container is set to manual in Admin Services win 10.
It keeps asking for permission to connect to the internet when I start a dx10-dx12 game.

Is that part of Geforce Experience? Because I've never seen or heard of it, but I also never install Geforce Experience. It's few good features are not worth the bloatware that comes with it. You don't need it, and I prefer downloading and manually installing video drivers myself.
https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx
Not sure if nvngx_update.exe ties into Geforce Experience.
It updates a games DLSS files.

A quick search of the Nvidia forums
Tim@NVIDIA 3y Tim@NVIDIA 3y
April 1st Update We wanted to provide another update on DLSS in Anthem. We recently fixed an issue where the screen shakes when motion blur is off. To get this update, make sure you have Game Ready Driver 418.91 or higher and this patch will be available at next game launch. You can also manually update DLSS by launching nvngx_update.exe located in \Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NGX\ folder.
April 1st Update We wanted to provide another update on DLSS in Anthem. We recently fixed an issue where the screen shakes when motion blur is off. To get this update, make sure you have Game Ready Driver 418.91 or higher and this patch will be available at next game launch. You can also manually update DLSS by launching nvngx_update.exe located in \Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA NGX\ folder.
You can let it run automatically whenever you launch a game with DLSS, you can run it manually. It does not give you covid, kidnap your children, steal your identity or turn you into a zombie (windows already does all those things by default).
Lol, always good to know. But it' will probably just activate a bunch of nvidia bloat and I'm not as big a fan of dlss atm.
I would much rather have the higher resolution, than a compressed resolution version by losing 30% of AOE.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Sep 27, 2021, 15:44
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 15:44
Sep 27, 2021, 15:44

B5 is the show I measure all other sci-fi shows against. Few meet its excellence, none of have surpassed it.

Mrs. Burrito had never seen B5 so we binged them all (even the fifth season) and she was crying during the second to last episode that showed Sheridan's send-off. She had heard my dad and I talk about it but never understood why we thought it was so great. Now she's a total fan.

Babylon 5 is that good almost thirty years later.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 27, 2021, 15:34
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 15:34
Sep 27, 2021, 15:34

After this discussion here, I brought it up with the wife (who turned me on to B5 originally when we first met) and after hammering out this same discussion with her, she of course reminds me that B5 was also the first series to show an alien's penis (prehensile penis!), which got me laughing.

I have no idea how they got that past the censors back then. I can only assume the censors didn't read the script very carefully, and they assumed Londo had a tail. I actually occasionally run into people to this day who have thought it WAS a tail all these years and are shocked to find out it was his (one of his) penises.

That show was definitely breaking new ground in '93.
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Sep 27, 2021, 13:56
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 13:56
Sep 27, 2021, 13:56

Yeah I agree, my second time through it, after several years, was a lot more fun in many ways, as you said. Also, I think, the show is more enjoyable as you get older, as I certainly appreciated the tangled political intrigue a lot more later in life, than I did when I was younger.

DS9, to give them their due, was going to have a bit more of the Babylon 5 style morality arcs. That was, I believe, the original purpose of Odo and Kira. They were supposed to be morally flawed characters who had both committed heinous acts during the Cardassian occupation: Odo was complicit as chief of security of the station while Bajorans were tortured and murdered, and Kira was essentially a freedom fighter/terrorist (depending on your point of view) who had killed plenty of innocent people as collateral damage, when attacking Cardassian targets.

However they rarely took that very far, and watered it down very quickly. In Odo's case, I think his character was so loved by the audience that they ended up toning him down pretty quickly, but there were early hints of his dark side. During the early parts of season 1, Odo was constantly at odds with the Federation legal system, often lamenting to Sisko that while the Cardassians may have been monsters, at least they ran a tight ship when it came to security. Odo couldn't understand why he couldn't just throw a murderer out an airlock when he caught him, and why he had to deal with all this messy "presumption of innocence" nonsense.

Later in the series they brought up dark pasts about Bashir and Dax, but those were really tame by Babylon 5 standards. The characters with the best moral arcs, IMO, were Garak and Damar.

The thing is that, in DS9, you never really had any doubt that the protagonists were all good people, and the antagonists were bad. In Babylon 5, all bets were off the table.
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Sep 27, 2021, 13:21
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 13:21
Sep 27, 2021, 13:21

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 12:39:
One of the things I liked about that show was that people, even the protagonists, had major character flaws and long morality arcs. Some people you thought were assholes in the first few season become heroes, some people that start out heroes turn into bastards. Some them flip from protagonist to antagonist, and back again a few times. Very much like real life. That show has a lot of depth to it if you're willing to get past the awkward writing of the first season, and the Amiga quality CGI (yes, they used Amigas to save money).

Much as I loved DS9, I think Babylon 5 was a much better series. Much deeper, and much darker. DS9 tried to capture some of that in the last few seasons when they introduced the Dominion War.
B5 was definitely darker than DS9. It is a shame they didn't have the same budget. And I agree the character development in B5 is what makes the series great. The other cool thing is the foreshadowing -- the series is almost more fun when you watch it the second time and you understand the foreshadowing you probably missed the first time. It wasn't all subtle, so you could spot some of it, but not all of it. One of my favorite moments is when Kosh leaves his encounter suit to save Sheridan.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 27, 2021, 12:39
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 12:39
Sep 27, 2021, 12:39

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 11:11:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 10:58:
Heh. So I'm not the only one that noticed parallels between President Clark in Babylon 5, and The Donald.
Huh. I remember there was a President Clark, I don't remember much about his character other than he was "a bad guy". It has been a lot years since I have seen B5. How much screen time did he get? I gotta think it wasn't a lot...

I'm not sure we ever saw President Clark, except maybe in a TV news feed when the previous president was assasinated. Spoilers follow in secret text: When Clark was sworn in, he wanted to pull Earth out of the galactic government (Earth First movement) and kick all the Aliens off Babylon 5. He federalized the news organizations and turned them into propaganda outlets. Eventually he tried to seize Babylon 5 by sending a fleet to take it by force. We also ultimately find out he's in cohoots with the evil forces, and assainated his predecessor. Before he's taken out, and Earth is freed from subjugation, he does the ultimate dick move of turning Earth's orbital defenses against Earth itself, when he's about to be overthrown.

One of the things I liked about that show was that people, even the protagonists, had major character flaws and long morality arcs. Some people you thought were assholes in the first few season become heroes, some people that start out heroes turn into bastards. Some of them flip from protagonist to antagonist, and back again a few times. Very much like real life. That show has a lot of depth to it if you're willing to get past the awkward writing of the first season, and the Amiga quality CGI (yes, they used Amigas to save money).

Much as I loved DS9, I think Babylon 5 was a much better series. Much deeper, and much darker. DS9 tried to capture some of that in the last few seasons when they introduced the Dominion War.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2021, 13:27.

Sep 27, 2021, 12:20
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 12:20
Sep 27, 2021, 12:20

I'm guessing it's installed with Experience, because you don't get any NVidia updates without Experience. There was a huge cry when NVidia said they were going to force Experience to be a part of the drivers, with no option to exclude it a few years ago. The masses won, so when you do a driver install and select custom, you always have the option to exclude Experience.

Also, DLSS 2.0 no longer requires game specific data to be downloaded like 1.0 required (that's the really big deal about DLSS 2.0, it learns on it's own without data updates), so you really don't need it.

I did a little reading and if you don't install NGX Core, then you still get the latest DLSS updates when you update your driver, so even if you are playing something that still uses DLSS 1.0 (and I THINK any AAA game that uses it has been updated to 2.0 by now) as long as your driver is up to date, you're fine.

I'd recommend uninstalling Experience if you don't use it, and see if NGX Core goes with it. My 2 cents. I never install it. Less is best. Experience used to be a very simple background app once, but now it's bloated into several background services. There's nothing I need in there, and everything works fine without it.

And get off my lawn, you kids!

Sep 27, 2021, 11:18
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 11:18
Sep 27, 2021, 11:18

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 10:55:
Does anyone use the NGX Updater? I've very hesitant to let it connect or download.
I don't use gforce experince and nv container is set to manual in Admin Services win 10.
It keeps asking for permission to connect to the internet when I start a dx10-dx12 game.

Is that part of Geforce Experience? Because I've never seen or heard of it, but I also never install Geforce Experience. It's few good features are not worth the bloatware that comes with it. You don't need it, and I prefer downloading and manually installing video drivers myself.
https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx
Not sure if nvngx_update.exe ties into Geforce Experience.
It updates a games DLSS files.

A quick search of the Nvidia forums
Tim@NVIDIA 3y Tim@NVIDIA 3y
You can let it run automatically whenever you launch a game with DLSS, you can run it manually. It does not give you covid, kidnap your children, steal your identity or turn you into a zombie (windows already does all those things by default).
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 27, 2021, 11:11
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 11:11
Sep 27, 2021, 11:11

The Flying Penguin wrote on Sep 27, 2021, 10:58:
Heh. So I'm not the only one that noticed parallels between President Clark in Babylon 5, and The Donald.
Huh. I remember there was a President Clark, I don't remember much about his character other than he was "a bad guy". It has been a lot years since I have seen B5. How much screen time did he get? I gotta think it wasn't a lot...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 27, 2021, 10:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 10:58
Sep 27, 2021, 10:58

Sep 27, 2021, 10:55
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 10:55
Sep 27, 2021, 10:55

Sep 27, 2021, 10:01
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 10:01
Sep 27, 2021, 10:01

I am going to put my response in a secret tag to avoid spoilers since I will be talking plot points.

You keep trying to draw parallels with the real world.

But that doesn't work because "Midnight Mass" is a self-contained story. A self-contained story that is not internally consistent with the set pieces it tries to use as the vehicle to tell its implausible story. Let's set aside Pruitt for a moment and focus on Dr. Gunning. She is a doctor. Her mother starts magically recovering and de-aging. Does she take her to the mainland to figure out what the fuck is going on? Nope! We'll just set petri dishes on the window sill and sit around with our thumb jammed up our ass. We won't take her to the mainland to discover why she is recovering from Alzheimer's/dementia because surely that wouldn't be medically significant at all and of great value to medical researchers. I mean, it happens every day, right?

As I said previously, all the characters make the dumbest decisions possible in the most irrational ways possible to try and tell a story that is mindbogglingly stupid. It's just bad and Flanagan doesn't get a free pass for whiffing this one because he did the outstanding "House on Haunted Hill" and "Bly Manor". If it didn't try to be so earnest, I would be a bit more charitable to it. But it does and at no point does it earn the right to be that earnest. It's badly constructed and doesn't survive even the slightest scrutiny.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 27, 2021, 02:32
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 02:32
Sep 27, 2021, 02:32

almost as stupid as a medical doctor (rand paul) who also an anti-vaxxer amirite? the character's actions are stupid and self delusional yes; the plot device isn't. i'm not religious and never have been (read the bible out of literary interest) but i'm sure you're 100% correct about the details. that being the case, it's completely plausible that people do things that contradict their own self interest and experience. we can agree to disagree on the plot, but this bothers me. you're so offended by the thing itself you can't see from above it and how it works as a literary device. aliens might read about the modern republican party and trump and scream to high heaven that people can't be that stupid and it's unrealistic and it'll never work as a plot device, yet, here we are, living that nightmare. and it's worse for you in texas with that sociopath idiot abbott as governor.

i was once in your shoes regarding a plot device as well - president clark from babylon 5. when i first saw it, he was one of the few things in the show i hated cuz i thought no real president would ever be that stupid or selfish. fast forward 20 years and that show was prescient as fuck. i'm not at all saying that's the fate of the catholic church, just that people doing stupid things is completely real and happens a million times a day, esp. when they're emotionally invested in a belief.

Sep 27, 2021, 00:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2021, 00:25
Sep 27, 2021, 00:25

You're right. It's not mind numbingly stupid. It's mindbogglingly stupid. It's almost insultingly stupid.

Let's take the usage of the title "monsignor". To be a monsignor, you really have to know your shit. It's a papal award based upon a recommendation by a bishop and you have to survive the scrutiny of the Holy See. Now, add to that that the title was stopped in 2013 for anyone outside of the diplomatic service. So there's no way in Hell this guy who looks like he's barely out of his twenties is going to be walking around with that honorific.

But, given the plot, none of that matters except when it does because said monsignor should very much know what he's seeing. At no point does anything in apocryphal or Biblical lore even remotely suggest that what he's seeing is actually what he's claiming it to be. We're not talking about some backwoods Southern Baptist or Jehovah's Witness loser who interpret whatever they Hell they want to fit their own twisted agenda. The monsignor isn't a Marian, that's clear, and he gets a trip to the Holy Land which suggests that he's either Franciscan, Dominican, or Jesuit. From my own experience, those gentlemen tend to be highly educated with multiple Ph.D.s under their belt. There are zealots, every organization has them, but the ones I have met tend to be rational, logical people. Given Pruitt's length of service, it would seem likely that he would as well. Ergo, he would need to completely abandon everything he knows and has learned to make his belief in the thing even remotely plausible.

And it doesn't work. Nothing about the whole setup works at all. It's shallow wish fulfillment in the pursuit of a mediocre, at best, plot. A plot hampered by threads that go nowhere for the sole purpose of using up time.

I'm glad you liked it. I did not. Neither of us will change our opinions.

Sep 26, 2021, 23:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2021, 23:47
Sep 26, 2021, 23:47

in no way is it mind numbingly stupid. i have better than remote knowledge of the bible and while foolish, not implausible that someone with powerful emotional biases could delude themselves into believing the thing with the thing. one only has to look at the world around us to see the pervasiveness and power of self-delusion. as for the rest, well, i don't mind talky pieces and it didn't hurt that their nebulous conversations played a role in the resolution of the important character arcs. the plot could've been resolved better - for that i would detract points, but not so much as to give it a not-recommend. B+ for me. Bly and Haunted Hill were better, but most horror works are forgettable garbage; this will stay with me as much as his previous works.

Sep 26, 2021, 23:11
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2021, 23:11
Sep 26, 2021, 23:11

"Midnight Mass"

Easily the worst of Flanagan's efforts. It's plodding, predictable, and about as eerie as a bright spring day. Moreover, its mythology is mind numbingly stupid to anyone who has even the most remote knowledge of Judaeo-Christian mythology.

Spoilers:
The "angel" is a fucking vampire. How a priest would fail to know that on the first fucking glance is beyond the pale of plausibility. At no point in the Old Testament or New Testament does an angel decide to suck the blood out of someone. Not even in an allegorical sense. Everyone makes the dumbest decisions possible and they even managed to waste the talents of Kate Siegal. You root for nothing except your own death to escape the giant vortex of failure that is "Midnight Mass". It's not "cerebral". It's 40 minutes of "does this go anywhere" with 20 minutes of "Uh, I guess we forgot to advance the plot. We should probably do that." If you stripped out all the filler bullshit, you'd have maybe three episodes worth of decent content

//--\\

Sportsball

In general, I am not a football fan. I am a Raiders fan. It's good to see them actually winning games for a change. It's been a tough 12 years to be a Raiders fan. Mrs. Burrito, on the other hand, is a football fan and watched all the games that were playing in our market today. Her Jets got roflstomped hard today. I caught the end of the ChargersRams-Buccaneers game and it was worth watching just to see Brady pout like a little bitch.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2021, 01:12.

Sep 26, 2021, 20:30
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2021, 20:30
Sep 26, 2021, 20:30

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2021, 18:52:
1badmf wrote on Sep 26, 2021, 17:31:
if anybody's interested in a good horror show for halloween, give Midnight Mass on netflix a try. made by the same guy that made haunting of hill house and bly manor, it's cerebral horror that's as much about loss of faith and love as it is about loss of life and limb. truly brilliant stuff that goes to places most horror pieces don't even try to go. it gets overly talky in some places but that's not a problem for me as long as the dialogue is engaging, and it truly is. the horror stuff is pretty tame by my standards, but the plot is still quite engaging as all mike flanagan plots are. i binged the whole show over the weekend; a very satisfying binge if i do say so myself.

Will do. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm all about - that bass - horror stuff this time of year. Have a bunch of Hammer flicks lined up for the the last 2 weeks of October. Just doesn't get better than Cushing and Lee for me. The best of the bunch being The Devil Rides Out - which I'll watch on Halloween!

The Nazgul and I watch it every Hallow's Eve, just to remind them of their job description.
Kittens!

Sep 26, 2021, 20:02
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2021, 20:02
Sep 26, 2021, 20:02

For the hell of it, went out and purchased Diablo II, I used to enjoy playing it back in the day, always found it superior to DIII. Blizzard can't even code a game anymore. Keep getting message "you have not been online in 30 days please log in online" in one continuous loop. You have to go into task manager to cancel it. What a pathetic pile of cow dung Blizzard has become. Blizzard you have truly killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Sep 26, 2021, 18:56
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2021, 18:56
Sep 26, 2021, 18:56

Free on youtube movies
Europa Report
https://youtu.be/MLBxd2xxnZ4
You'll need to be logged in to watch this freebie.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older