Out of the Blue

Today will be the first day of autumn here in the northern hemisphere, as the September equinox will be today at 3:20 pm EDT. This makes it the first day of spring in the southern hemisphere, so say hi to the birds and the bees for me. And for those down under, throw another shrimp on the barbie. It's supposed to be warm here today, but the weather has been steadily cooling in these parts lately, so the calendar is not lying. Whichever applies, here's to a happy autumn/spring.

Obituary: Willie Garson Dead: ‘Sex And The City’ Actor And ‘White Collar’ Star Was 57.

Sprung Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 23, 2021, 12:50
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2021, 12:50
Sep 23, 2021, 12:50

Looks like mounting a satellite dish on a standing seam roof is a bit of an issue -- not technically, I found a mounting system and suspect there are others. But it looks like the "standard" installer types will either be reluctant or might even be compelled by the provider to not do an install on a metal roof. Which means either doing it myself or finding someone who would do it, which might be a bit of a task.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 23, 2021, 09:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2021, 09:58
Sep 23, 2021, 09:58

I'm bookmarking that article on the full Covid lockdown in Auckland, so I can refer to it the next time some idiot tells me the whole Covid thing is a fabrication of the American Left.
-----
Man, I'm glad he finally mocked Licence to Kill. What a terrible script. I always laugh when I think about Felix laughing on the phone at the end talking to Bond about going on a fishing trip. It's always seemed incredibly weird that the screen writers thought it was okay that Felix was in such a good mood, considering his new wife was just murdered, and his legs were chewed off by a shark. But yeah, let's go fishing and toss back a few beers and talk about old times.
- It doesn't matter that you don't believe in climate change. What matters is that your insurance company does.

Sep 23, 2021, 09:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2021, 09:38
Sep 23, 2021, 09:38

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 19:21:
Insulation makes a big difference, too. In our current house, we have the dense, closed cell foam insulation and it does a lot to dampen the sound. When we had heavy rainstorms a couple weeks back, you could hear a slight rushing noise but that was it.
Yeah, nothing like that in my home currently. Just some glass wool/fiberglass insulation with some blown in cellophane based insulation over it. It probably provides some dampening, but I think with the metal roof I might want/need something a bit more efficient at cutting the decibels...

Sep 22, 2021, 19:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 19:58
Sep 22, 2021, 19:58

Found this reasonably entertaining video on a Tesla roof install in California. Basically it is an edited complication of videos he posted all along the entire installation process. Which was delayed significantly by the pandemic. It is an intriguing option. As I said previously, I suspect my location is at best a borderline location, but I might have to check the possibilities....

Sep 22, 2021, 19:21
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 19:21
Sep 22, 2021, 19:21

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 18:30:
As I read more about it, I'm getting more interested in the metal option. If I go that way, I will definitely inquire about/request sound dampening.

I am also curious about roof ventings. I'm assuming they must have a way to deal with them, otherwise metal wouldn't be an option. But I'm curious if they actually put holes through the metal for them, or if all the vents get channeled to the roof ridge or something...

Insulation makes a big difference, too. In our current house, we have the dense, closed cell foam insulation and it does a lot to dampen the sound. When we had heavy rainstorms a couple weeks back, you could hear a slight rushing noise but that was it.

Venting depends on the roofer. We have three "holes" in the roof. One for each exhaust fan in the bathrooms and one for the drop down range hood. The exhaust pipes are flashed underneath the roof and sealed around the pipe via solder which is far more resilient than caulking. We have ridge line vents to vent the attic (as that is where the AC unit is) that are baffled and meshed to prevent insect, varmint, and debris penetration. You can go two ways; either passive or active. Ours is active with scroll fans that suck the hot air in and expels it out of the vents. It's temperature activated. We have a thermometer up there and I've never seen it above 80 up there even in the middle of summer.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 22, 2021, 19:06
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 19:06
Sep 22, 2021, 19:06

PHJF wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 18:41:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 13:44:
The Forbes article claims shingle roofs last 40-50 years. I suppose that might be true for some installations, however the figure I've always seen is 25-30 years. And my current installation clearly isn't going to make it to 25 years.
I'm pretty sure they will last 50 years... if installed by trained professionals. Which accounts for, what, 1% of actual roof installations?
So, you are saying 99% of roof installers are incompetent? Damn. Even I'm not that cynical.

The biggest problem with my roof doesn't have anything to do with the installation. The asphalt is simply being weathered off some of the shingles. Clearly a better quality shingle would be required to get a 50 year lifetime. I didn't own the house when the roofing job was done, so I don't specifically know what was said/promised about the lifetime of the shingles. Maybe the owner knew he wouldn't be around in 10 years (previous owner died, I bought the house from the daughter/estate) and he selected the cheapest shingle available. *shrug*

Do you know of a residential shingle roof which is 40 years old and still looks fine? I'm sure you're correct in that they can last 50 years. I'm guessing that only happens in 1% of the cases.

Sep 22, 2021, 18:41
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 18:41
Sep 22, 2021, 18:41
 PHJF

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 13:44:
The Forbes article claims shingle roofs last 40-50 years. I suppose that might be true for some installations, however the figure I've always seen is 25-30 years. And my current installation clearly isn't going to make it to 25 years.

I'm pretty sure they will last 50 years... if installed by trained professionals. Which accounts for, what, 1% of actual roof installations?
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 22, 2021, 18:37
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 18:37
Sep 22, 2021, 18:37

have you noticed how people from New Zealand say the word "no"? its interesting because their accent makes it sound like they have like 3 or 4 extra vowels in there.. like "nayough" or something Rotfl

Sep 22, 2021, 18:30
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 18:30
Sep 22, 2021, 18:30

Cutter wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 17:17:
I was going to mention the noise issue. One of my neighbors several houses down has a metal roof and he hates it. Wishes he never did it. You can get a soundproofing underlay but I don't know how much that adds to the cost. He ended up doing that - having the roof taken off, underlay put down, and put back on again.
As I read more about it, I'm getting more interested in the metal option. If I go that way, I will definitely inquire about/request sound dampening.

I am also curious about roof ventings. I'm assuming they must have a way to deal with them, otherwise metal wouldn't be an option. But I'm curious if they actually put holes through the metal for them, or if all the vents get channeled to the roof ridge or something...

Sep 22, 2021, 17:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 17:40
Sep 22, 2021, 17:40

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:09:
Beamer wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:00:
We had a floor guy in this week. Two of our rooms have some 100 year old wood from a PA dairy or some such, but the original owners didn't take care of it. That's an understatement - somehow they paid for this floor, decided to seal it with Tung Oil, never laid down more oil, and did it in two very high traffic areas including the kitchen, which will of course be wet, and the great room. Combined, they have 3 sliding glass doors to the deck, which has the grill, which means the owner was walking in and out in rain. Basically, super expensive floor looked like garbage. We thought we had the right guy, but we have some concerns in how it ended up. He didn't do it, he had a crew do it, he was here for 30 seconds, and we haven't heard from him since. We also haven't paid him yet, so he will show up for that. I think it's all solvable, but...
So, you completely replaced the floor or what? If so, what did you have installed?

Sanded down and refinished. All the damage was limited to the finish and just below. One or two boards look not great, but it was an old floor to begin with, so it's like designer jeans - you pay for that kind of distressing!

The water damage looks like it was sanded away, though we can't see and are being overly cautious about when we walk on it. But the damage they did was just cosmetic. A good amount of greying from where there was water damage. A lot of excessive stickiness from where they decided to try waxing (mops literally stuck to the floor.) And a dark 2"x6" rectangle in the one place they tried putting the oil down at some point, with very obvious brush strokes. All gone now. Just a consistently applied, durable water based polyurethane coating.

Sep 22, 2021, 17:19
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 17:19
Sep 22, 2021, 17:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 17:07:
Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:55:
Yup, still happening. He basically got the same exact procedure, same equipment, the doctor has the same (if not better) qualifications. Nothing shady at all. Just so much cheaper
Let's see, in total... tooth extraction, implant, and then implant crown.. (including various scans and fees) this tooth replacement cost me just a bit short of $4,200. Biggest problem though is it was six or seven separate appointments over a long period -- from the day of the tooth extraction, until today when the implant crown was put in place was one day short of exactly eight months. So, I don't think your co-worker's solution would work for that...

I gotta get 2 implants but I'm going to do the dental tourist thing - probably in Europe - as I was quote 6 grand for them by dentists here. You can do the same thing, same quality in Mexico, Poland, etc. for a grand a tooth. May as well get a trip out of it as well.

I think I might actually head over to Europe for 2 or 3 weeks in November. If I do go I'll check out some pricing while I'm there.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 22, 2021, 17:17
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 17:17
Sep 22, 2021, 17:17

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 13:35:
Interesting, surprised to learn there are metal roofs which come with a "guarantee to never dent". It seems like the gauge which that would be required to provide that standard would be significant. The noise issue has some traction with me. I'm not someone who likes the sound of rain, to me it is just noise. For sleep, I like my bedroom to be pitch black and silent.

I was going to mention the noise issue. One of my neighbors several houses down has a metal roof and he hates it. Wishes he never did it. You can get a soundproofing underlay but I don't know how much that adds to the cost. He ended up doing that - having the roof taken off, underlay put down, and put back on again. He didn't say specifically just that it cost him a small fortune. I've never like dealing with roofers. Easily the sketchiest trade industry by far. You might want to consider composite roofing. You can get much better looking alternatives than asphalt at any rate. No idea about pricing.

Composite Roofing Shingles: Are They Any Better Than Asphalt Shingle Roofs?
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 22, 2021, 17:07
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 17:07
Sep 22, 2021, 17:07

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:55:
Yup, still happening. He basically got the same exact procedure, same equipment, the doctor has the same (if not better) qualifications. Nothing shady at all. Just so much cheaper
Let's see, in total... tooth extraction, implant, and then implant crown.. (including various scans and fees) this tooth replacement cost me just a bit short of $4,200. Biggest problem though is it was six or seven separate appointments over a long period -- from the day of the tooth extraction, until today when the implant crown was put in place was one day short of exactly eight months. So, I don't think your co-worker's solution would work for that...

Sep 22, 2021, 17:01
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 17:01
Sep 22, 2021, 17:01

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 14:49:
Baby Poop Is Loaded With Microplastics

Serves as a great laxative.

...Wonder if the enzymes and bacteria in the human gut will ever evolve/adapt/utilize to break that stuff down. Precursor to cybernetic adaptation? Hm. Interesting idea.

Sep 22, 2021, 16:55
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 16:55
Sep 22, 2021, 16:55

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:46:
Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:29:
I've got an Indian friend at work that actually flew to India to get his dental work done because a round trip ticket and a week in India was cheaper than the cost of walking 2 blocks for his dental work in the states. Looks like we've got our priorities straight in this country 😂
I remember years ago there was a 60 Minutes segment about people going overseas for non-emergency operations. They were going somewhere in Asia mostly, but I don't remember where exactly. And basically it was top notch medical, plus luxury accommodations for a fraction of what it would have cost them in the US. So, nothing new there...

Sep 22, 2021, 16:46
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 16:46
Sep 22, 2021, 16:46

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:29:
I've got an Indian friend at work that actually flew to India to get his dental work done because a round trip ticket and a week in India was cheaper than the cost of walking 2 blocks for his dental work in the states. Looks like we've got our priorities straight in this country 😂
I remember years ago there was a 60 Minutes segment about people going overseas for non-emergency operations. They were going somewhere in Asia mostly, but I don't remember where exactly. And basically it was top notch medical, plus luxury accommodations for a fraction of what it would have cost them in the US. So, nothing new there...

Sep 22, 2021, 16:42
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 16:42
Sep 22, 2021, 16:42

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 16:12:
I found that the older appliances (20 years old or so) are easy to find parts for and repair. Whereas newer appliances are less reliable and hard to find parts for.

I replaced a dead defroster in my refrigerator freezer last year - cost me $80, and I did the repair myself, since there are many good videos on how to do it for the old fridge. I heard that newer stuff, you can't really do that anymore and the parts costs are insane - and you have to hire someone to do it because of the bad design.
Add repairclinic.com to your toolbox.
Parts and tips for nearly everything
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 22, 2021, 16:30
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 16:30
Sep 22, 2021, 16:30

Huh. Interesting to hear you are both happy with AHS. While I didn't necessarily place them in the same box as the scammers, I definitely felt their advertisements seemed a little too good to be true.

Sep 22, 2021, 16:29
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 16:29
Sep 22, 2021, 16:29

Sep 22, 2021, 16:20
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2021, 16:20
Sep 22, 2021, 16:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 15:43:
That's more than double what BoP mentioned. As far as the contractors, even without that kind of coverage getting quality contractors can be a problem. And apparently most of them are completely booked these days (based on discussion from a couple of people I know getting some work done).

We also have AHS and I think the difference is ours is an addendum to our home insurance as negotiated at the time of purchase of the home. We get to select our own contractors, pay, and then get reimbursed on the backend.

As I said, we had zero problems with the piping part of the water softener installation.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older